• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guitar Hero On Tour for DS revealed! (first info, pictures and video!)

Willy Wanka

my god this avatar owns
Slacker said:
That'll cause some cracked hinges.

True but imagine the lineup. All of Jimmy Shand's greatest hits :O

cd6636593.jpg

Sule

Looks pretty cool. I wonder if a third party will find a way to make a guitar attachment you could use with this, seems tricky seeing how you need to use the touchscreen and look at the top screen. Could still be possible though. Totally unexpected way of controlling.

Barrett2

This looks great given the system limitations. Very creative. I will try to avoid buying it, but who am I kidding; it's a day 1 purchase.

The Mighty Schwein said:
Looks interesting, I'd be surprised if it cost less than $60 though.

Because the dollar is pretty much worthless (I'm importing to the UK) I don't really care, but 50 would be a lot more reasonable then 60. But hey, GH prints money.

Ten-Song

I like my portable systems to actually be... you know, portable. I don't understand the idea of getting some huge ugly add-on that'll most likely be far too expensive, for something like the DS... just buy an actual Guitar Hero game and be done with it.

Peru

-jinx- said:
However, I don't see why you're surprised or indignant at my reaction. Based on what makes Guitar Hero a good game, how can this game NOT completely suck? Instead of a controller which is comfortable and more-or-less resembles an instrument, you have a handful of colored buttons tacked onto the bottom of a handheld. Instead of a system which can play CD-quality audio through decent speakers, you have a handheld which is underpowered in the audio department. Instead of five fret buttons which allow for several levels of complexity, you get four buttons.

The thing which pisses me off here is that this game has the NAME of Guitar Hero, but absolutely none of what made Guitar Hero such a successful franchise.
First off, a set of headphones on and the audio is great. "Instead of a controller which is comfortable" is a stupid and pointless thing to say when you haven't tried the controller. It looks very comfortable to hold in the video. Some of the physical feeling of gripping a guitar neck is lost, but some of the guitar motions are indeed still intact.

The reason GH was less than interesting to play on a controller was because of the button layout, which was not suited for that kind of a gameplay at all. This is. It has four fret buttons instead of five, but Guitar Freaks is a fun and challenging game with three! Just because it's not a carbon copy of the Hero series so far doesn't mean it won't work. In fact, I trust Vicarious Vision will produce a very capable entry, they are nothing if not qualified at adapting software to hardware.

Pissed off for what, exactly? Why would you say it has none of what made Guitar Hero a successful franchise? It has the music, the core concept and gameplay, and a Red Octane designed piece of hardware. The silly blowing into the microphone is no doubt limited to battle multiplayer. If you have no need for Guitar rhythm action on the road then this is no doubt a pointless purchase. I feel this is exactly as good a realization of that that idea as could've been cooked up, and I've strummed along on expert since the first game.

Ten-Song said:
I like my portable systems to actually be... you know, portable. I don't understand the idea of getting some huge ugly add-on that'll most likely be far too expensive, for something like the DS... just buy an actual Guitar Hero game and be done with it.

It isn't that big. I don't plan on playing it on a bus or anything but I can throw it in a bag and take it to someones house. That's what I want.

Polari

TwinIonEngines said:
Yaright. Let's see you switch between YA and XB chords.

Thumb and index finger, DS orientated to its regular fashion. This is just an excuse to charge an extra $20 for a peripheral that probably costs all of 90 cents to produce.

Hey this actually looks pretty decent :D Yeah it doesn't look like a guitar, but it seems to replicate the feel of playing a guitar and that's what's important!

Totally unexpected (I thought that they'd copy Jam Sessions for sure!) and a great use of the GBA slot! (Good that we're really starting to see some creative uses of it now with Slide Magikid and Arkanoid DS!)

I wonder how they're gonna do the star power? (Maybe by blowing or shouting into the microphone!)

Ten-Song

TheGreatDave said:
It isn't that big. I don't plan on playing it on a bus or anything but I can throw it in a bag and take it to someones house. That's what I want.

Eh, I suppose for something like that it could work, and I imagine if the price is right, multiplayer for it could be far easier to get into, just because it seems everyone has a DS these days.

Still though, 90% of the time I spend with my DS/PSP are in situations where something like that is just out of the question.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
There better be a good lefty mode for this. I guess flipping the screens would work...

I might have to buy a DS for this.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
I'm sorry, but this looks horrible. A huge part of the appeal in Guitar Hero is the feeling of actually playing a guitar. With only four frets and such an odd orientation, that effect is totally lost in the DS version. That seriously just looks awkward.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
Why is everyone complaining about only 4 frets? you think the average Guitar Hero player even realizes there's a 5th fret...? Let alone knows how to properly use it?

Also for people wondering about how you hold it steady in your hand, if you watch the video you'll see there's a hand strap.

I feel like if this was if this was called Rock Band On Tour everyone here would be creaming themselves...

If they market this right, and it seems like they will judging by the target audience of that commercial, this will sell a lot. Every kid with a DS will want it I think.

Either way I couldn't care less, no handheld music game can pull me away from Rhythm Tengoku. :D

Kibbles

Looks uncomfortable. I hope there is a flip screen mode so it's widescreen and your fingers are a top (have DS upside down pretty much) and strum up top, doesn't seem as uncomfortable that way. Here is a crappy paintjob of what I'm trying to say.

nyg3a0.png

It's obviously not going to be nearly as good as GH, but at what point should that make it a bad game? Rhythm games on the DS suffer from lack of sound quality, but EBA and Ouendan and Daigasso! Band Bros. all are excellent games. And on top of that, it's yet to be determined how comfortable it will be.

If the gimmicks are optional, then good. Even if they aren't, it's still not going to be a bad game in all likelihood.

Banned
Black_Ice said:
I honestly believe this is a disgrace to all skilled Guitar Hero players. I know that statement may sound weird to all real guitarists, but really. This looks terrible. People will buy it, however.

that's one of the saddest posts i've ever read... It's just a game, if you don't want it don't buy it, how does it effect GH on any other platform?

GH is just a fun toy anyway, nothing more, so don't get crazy.

neptunes

as if the original Guitar Hero was similar to play a REAL Guitar in the first place.

the original and this one are Rhythm action/bemani games, through and through.

You'll look like a dork playing either one, so who cares?

Banned
That ad is hoooorible... It's funny watching them 'rock out' then when it shows on screen they're lightly wiping the screen with the 'pick'... This post ironic world is like LA in 1988 but with lamer kids still breastfeeding at 18.

painey

The difficulty is capped at medium, which for me at least defeats the purpose of the game. For me the entire point about GH is the never ending quest to improve, the immense satisfaction of nailing that 5* or beating the song on expert.. anyone who is halfway decent at GH will beat these songs first time around, probably 5*ing them, and then what is left to do apart from play the same songs over and over on medium.

painey said:
The difficulty is capped at medium, which for me at least defeats the purpose of the game. For me the entire point about GH is the never ending quest to improve, the immense satisfaction of nailing that 5* or beating the song on expert.. anyone who is halfway decent at GH will beat these songs first time around, probably 5*ing them, and then what is left to do apart from play the same songs over and over on medium.
I am sure they can make a difficult chart with only 4 frets.

painey said:
I'm sure it's possible for them to devise a way to up the challenge while still using only 4 buttons. As to whether they'll find that way or bother to try, who knows.

bounchfx

I'm really looking forward to this. portable guitar hero FTW.

I just hope the songs aren't too good.

then I'll bitch about how they need to be in RB.

vermadas

I'm actually quite surprised at the design they came up with. It actually looks intuitive. That being said, I probably won't be picking this up day 1 unless:

- $40 with a good soundtrack
- $50 with an awesome soundtrack

I don't see either of things happening. My desire for portable guitar hero just isn't that strong.

Gigglepoo said:
Is this just for people who don't own a TV?
I suspect people who enjoy playing games away from home, perhaps in transit to some location or another, may find some merit in this bizarre style of game that one can port around with them, held in their hand.

Xeke

Banned
FF_VIII said:
Finally, someone said it.

It needed to be said. It bothers me that people would argue against this because it's not like playing a real guitar. That's so stupid.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
666 said:
that's one of the saddest posts i've ever read... It's just a game, if you don't want it don't buy it, how does it effect GH on any other platform?

GH is just a fun toy anyway, nothing more, so don't get crazy.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I know that many different people enjoy many different things. I'm not going to get mad at that. It certainly doesn't 'effect' any other GH, but idk, the fact that GH is (inevitably) becoming some poor cash in this form isn't to my like it.

I'm not going crazy, as if a game could make me mad. More power to those that enjoy it though, I hope the tracklist is to your (or anyone that plans to buy it) liking.

Gigglepoo

Segata Sanshiro said:
I suspect people who enjoy playing games away from home, perhaps in transit to some location or another, may find some merit in this bizarre style of game that one can port around with them, held in their hand.

I love the NDS, this just seems really lame. Jinx expressed feelings similar to my own. If it works out, great, but it just seems like a bad idea.

Black_Ice said:
Oh, don't get me wrong, I know that many different people enjoy many different things. I'm not going to get mad at that. It certainly doesn't 'effect' any other GH, but idk, the fact that GH is (inevitably) becoming some poor cash in this form isn't to my like it.

I'm not going crazy, as if a game could make me mad. More power to those that enjoy it though, I hope the tracklist is to your (or anyone that plans to buy it) liking.

You haven't seen a single expert guitar chart for the game yet. You don't know what songs are in it. Having four frets doesn't make the game easy. I'm not looking forward to this as much as GH:A or GH:4, but honestly let's wait for more info before we call it a fucking insult.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
TheGreatDave said:
You haven't seen a single expert guitar chart for the game yet. You don't know what songs are in it. Having four frets doesn't make the game easy. I'm not looking forward to this as much as GH:A or GH:4, but honestly let's wait for more info before we call it a fucking insult.

Well, it's obvious that I base my initial reactions off of what I see. Maybe (big maybe) if I see more I'll change my opinion.

Btw, I never said 4 frets makes the game easy. I think it'll make it a bit harder actually.

Bebpo

Banned
Not touching this with a 10-foot pole. Looks really uncomfortable to hold and not drop the DS if you aren't laying it flat.

koam

Kibbles said:
Looks uncomfortable. I hope there is a flip screen mode so it's widescreen and your fingers are a top (have DS upside down pretty much) and strum up top, doesn't seem as uncomfortable that way. Here is a crappy paintjob of what I'm trying to say.

nyg3a0.png

Good thing you're not an engineer. Do you not see the problem with your setup? It's actually unplayable unless you really tilt your right hand so it doesn't get in the way of the bottom screen.

Gigglepoo said:
I love the NDS, this just seems really lame. Jinx expressed feelings similar to my own. If it works out, great, but it just seems like a bad idea.
I dunno, generally, once you've whipped out the NDS in public, the lame train has already sailed, so at that point it's about not looking insane on top of dorky. I thiiiiink I could play this without looking too crazy, blowing on the screen aside.

That particular mechanic has relegated many a game to the "not playing in public" pile. Hopefully there's an alternative way to activate star power.

Top Bottom