• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata Spoiler Thread

You joke but is there anyone in drakenier who hasn't had a shit life? Caim does seem to get a lot more out of it then the rest I suppose, even gets a dragon waifu

Well, life was pretty cozy in Nier before Yonah was kidnapped. It had its share of vile scumbags and tragedy, but most people were living and loving and dying in something like normalcy.

The Drakengard world is just a smorgasbord of suffering, though. Probably because life in that era was shitty enough without monsters and gods and magical warcrimes all over the place.

Daouzin

Go play mass effect, I'm sure it'll be really thematic and deep with a great narrative and memorable characters to scratch that itch....

Lol

Hahaha, I actually couldn't get into the original ME, so no thanks on that one.

I think I'll be in the same boat until Persona 5 comes out in a few weeks.

Persona 5 is tempting, but I'll probably do BloodBorne DLC then Horizon Zero Dawn.

I'm sort of sad that I'm already done with this game and that I rushed my 40 hour play through in just a week and a half, but at the same time. I also want to erase my personal memories and start over.

I'll likely just replay this on Hard from the beginning in a few months. Originally went from a top 20 game to a top 10 game and over time it might be in my top 5.

I still can't get over how great it was.

Slater

Banned
Well, life was pretty cozy in Nier before Yonah was kidnapped. It had its share of vile scumbags and tragedy, but most people were living and loving and dying in something like normalcy.

The Drakengard world is just a smorgasbord of suffering, though. Probably because life in that era was shitty enough without monsters and gods and magical warcrimes all over the place.
In Nier nobody from the party ever had it easy, especially bro Nier having to sell himself to that pedo but it's true that things took a bit longer to go to complete shit

Jeffrey

Any short stories or novels to give a better picture of the world in this time? Like how many androids are out there anyways? Are there cities? Are they mostly in space? I feel like there's gotta be a sizeable amount because this whole project yorha thing is quite elaborate and expensive just to boost morale for a dozen resistance fighters lol.

Um wow just finished Ending E. Not only does this game have the best soundtrack of the generation, it also has the best writing. I was worried about the story halfway into Route B but man does it pay off later on. No other game this generation comes close to story. MY jaw was on the floor when I found out the YorHa cycle and couldn't believe that 2B was actually created to kill 9S whenever he found out the truth. This game is fucking meta and I haven't felt this way about a game's story since maybe the last of us and even then Nier is way more complex then that.

Any short stories or novels to give a better picture of the world in this time? Like how many androids are out there anyways? Are there cities? Are they mostly in space? I feel like there's gotta be a sizeable amount because this whole project yorha thing is quite elaborate and expensive just to boost morale for a dozen resistance fighters lol.

It's kind of weird, because there are mountains of YoRHa corpses outside of the desert orgy pit, in Beauvoir's theater, in the Copied City, etc, but 9S remarks at one point that they're the only YoRHa units operating in the area and you never see anyone else.

So, is 2B in love with 9S? Also I know it's a cycle that she kills him, but does she actually remember having a longer history with him that dates back before the game first started?

So, is 2B in love with 9S? Also I know it's a cycle that she kills him but does she actually remember having a longer history that dates before the game first started?

2B is head over heels for 9S.

The cycle is just that she keeps having to murder him and reset his memory whenever he goes rogue or learns something he shouldn't. I think they've been partnered together for at least a couple years at the start of the game, and she has killed him a lot over that period.

That's why she's so emotional at the start of the game when 9S gets badly injured in the fight against the Goliaths, even though you're led to believe that it's their first mission together. It's also why she's so bothered by him calling her "ma'am".

Satch

Banned
man when we're fighting the war in the start of route C, all the yorhas start turning evil and 2B is like oh shit we need to defend ourselves from them but then shes like oh shit i actually am incapable of hurting them because of my programming. and then 9S is like let me turn that off so you can fight

the other day, i found it weird that 9S had to turn that off at all, because she's already killed some yorha units earlier in one of the sidequests
ohhh.png

but she doesnt need it turned off when given an order by the Commander to kill defected yorha units (the betrayer sidequest)... and she also didnt need it turned off so that she could kill 9S at the end of route A and B because it's part of her programming innately

ufdup.png

in any other game i'd say that it was a mistake, but there's too much attention to detail throughout the game for that to be the case

man when we're fighting the war in the start of route C, all the yorhas start turning evil and 2B is like oh shit we need to defend ourselves from them but then shes like oh shit i actually am incapable of hurting them because of my programming. and then 9S is like let me turn that off so you can fight

the other day, i found it weird that 9S had to turn that off at all, because she's already killed some yorha units earlier in one of the sidequests
ohhh.png

but she doesnt need it turned off when given an order by the Commander to kill defected yorha units (the betrayer sidequest)... and she also didnt need it turned off so that she could kill 9S at the end of route A and B because it's part of her programming innately

ufdup.png

in any other game i'd say that it was a mistake, but there's too much attention to detail throughout the game for that to be the case
4znDLL5.gif

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
So how come 2B doesn't get regularly wiped like 9s does?

because 2B obeys her orders. 9S's specific model was designed with more sophisticated AI for scanning and reconnaissance purposes, however due to this, he will eventually find out the truth about the world eventually. In order to stop that from leaking out and ruining the Yorha plan, they assigned the 2E model to beat him down and send him back to the bunker to have his memory erased every time he got too close.

As an exemplar soldier, she doesn't stick her nose where it doesn't belong, and it's important for her job to learn how 9S thinks and behaves.

This is bonkers! So this means she knew from the very start of the game :( goddammit Yoko Taro

because 2B obeys her orders. 9S's specific model was designed with more sophisticated AI for scanning and reconnaissance purposes, however due to this, he will eventually find out the truth about the world eventually. In order to stop that from leaking out and ruining the Yorha plan, they assigned the 2E model to beat him down and send him back to the bunker to have his memory erased every time he got too close.

I do love how Ending E ended on a optimistic note and how the pods became the unsung heroes of the game.

Moaradin

Love the Pod development. I was really confused by the little Pod intermissions in Route B and up, but it really payed off in the end.

Razmos

My only issue with the whole idea is that the mission at the beginning of the game isn't just 2B and 9S, there were 4 or 5 other Yorha units too before they were all shot down. Were they all E class models too? What would have happened if 2B had died in that raid instead?

Or were the rest of the Yorha units disposed of on purpose? Since we know at the very least 11B was planning on deserting, maybe the rest were too and the mission was a cover?

Did you guys delete your data to save another player? I did lol I'm so strapped for time that I don't think I can continue for more endings and I was satisfied with ABCDE routes. I'll probably play this game later on in the future.

Inuhanyou

This is bonkers! So this means she knew from the very start of the game :( goddammit Yoko Taro

Its particularly oh shit for those of us who played the demo and were thinking it was faulty writing that 2B was distant with 9S and then overly concerned about him near the end.

It was actually a plot point why she didn't want him to call her maam, because they were probably already on close terms but he didn't know that. To her, he was her beloved partner, to him she was just his new teammate he was assigned to scout out missions with.

I'm going for the Platinum Trophy and it kind of bums be out in a weird way that there's no way for someone to tell if I did it for real or just purchased them.

Only in NieR would trophies be a philosophical issue.

I'm going for the Platinum Trophy and it kind of bums be out in a weird way that there's no way for someone to tell if I did it for real or just purchased them.

You do you. I only bought the pod upgrade one. I'm not farming rare harvest drops again. Not after the nightmare that was platinuming the first game.

Jotakori

Randomly stops to think about how the theme for Pascal's Village sounds like children singing, and then remembers what happens to Pascal....... and ow, I just hurt myself. :(

Eumi

My only issue with the whole idea is that the mission at the beginning of the game isn't just 2B and 9S, there were 4 or 5 other Yorha units too before they were all shot down. Were they all E class models too? What would have happened if 2B had died in that raid instead?

Or were the rest of the Yorha units disposed of on purpose? Since we know at the very least 11B was planning on deserting, maybe the rest were too and the mission was a cover?
The units in the tutorial were all actually sent there to fight, except for 7E who was probably after 11B and 2B(E) who was there to kill 9S if needed. That mission was probably the first after a 9S wipe so it also served as a way to reintroduce 2B to the new 9S.

The demo I know specifically lists unit names, can't remember if the game does though.

I actually bought the trophies. I'm still going to get 100% on my second playthrough but it's such a Yoko taro thing to do that I thought why not.

Silvard

Why do you care? As per the intentional design, you've earned them either way.

ramyeon

Wait can you not fast travel post game? It was replaced with Chapter Select.

Edit: Nevermind, I was in an earlier chapter before it unlocked haha.

Wagram

I bought a few of them that were just mindless grinding like hacking 100 times or berserk kills 50 times. I actually like the feature because those types of trophies add nothing to a game nor add any value to the experience. I wouldn't recommend buying trophies related to actual game content though like the endings.

Satch

Banned
Did you guys delete your data to save another player? I did lol I'm so strapped for time that I don't think I can continue for more endings and I was satisfied with ABCDE routes. I'll probably play this game later on in the future.

i was so swept up in emotion that i deleted mine without question and then immediately started a new game to play again

NeonBlack

Yes. and then I took my cloud saves and saved them on a usb.

I'm my own special type of monster

So were Adam and Eve created to be a,"villain", to coincide the ongoing war? Also are they still alive after C and E?
I'm still not clear on them. They said they killed the aliens, but when you first meet them, it's like they were just created?

Someone previously said that at the end of D -> E, Adam and Eve will be on the package the Tower shoots into space.

Eumi

So were Adam and Eve created to be a,"villain", to coincide the ongoing war? Also are they still alive after C and E?
Adam and Eve came about from the machine network experimenting with weirdo robots to try and create a purpose (like pascal and the forest king). They're 'alive' as in their memories are stored in the ark. So maybe?

LotusHD

Banned
So how exactly did those robots give birth to Adam and Eve? I swear they just popped out of nowhere, I couldn't pick out where exactly they came from in that scene...

Love the Pod development. I was really confused by the little Pod intermissions in Route B and up, but it really payed off in the end.

Yea I'm like, should I really care about this? Then I'm like, ohhhhhhhhhh, Ending E...

Just like Route A/B, knowing the full story makes everything better in retrospect.

No, I'm selfish af and wanted to fight the secret bosses and do some sidequests first. Then I'll delete it. :(

Trophies are utterly pointless to me, so this is pretty much the only game I'll ever Platinum as a result, since I have the cash. I do find it hilarious though. Now with that being said, keep it on the hush hush!

Inuhanyou

I'm still not clear on them. They said they killed the aliens, but when you first meet them, it's like they were just created?

Someone previously said that at the end of D -> E, Adam and Eve will be on the package the Tower shoots into space.

Adam and eve know about the fall of the aliens through their connection to the network, they didnt actually do it themselves. All those dead robots in the cave were a result of a segment of robots of that time period rebelling and overthrowing said aliens, we don't know if they were disconnected from the network at that time or not.

Adam and eve are anomalies in the machine consciousness, created out of its latent desire to understand humanity, they created Adam and Eve in the shape of androids, who were directly created in mankind's image and shape.

This wish to understand humanity is also why the terminal created the red girl's form, as a fake human consciousness it created based on the information about humans it gleaned from various databases.

Squire

Banned
So someone just made me realize earlier that 2B herself is probably the one that came up with "Nines" as a nickname and who boy, that shit stings extra.

I also feel like that theory itself supports the theory that 9S is actually vaguely aware of the truth of it it all. I bet it's not finding out everything in route C that drives him mad - it's 2B dying and then him being presented with irrefutable evidence of the truth that does it.

Inuhanyou

So someone just made me realize earlier that 2B herself is probably the one that came up with "Nines" as a nickname and who boy, that shit stings extra.

I also feel like that theory itself supports the theory that 9S is actually vaguely aware of the truth of it it all. I bet it's not finding out everything in route C that drives him mad - it's 2B dying and then him being presented with irrefutable evidence of the truth that does it.

What is the argument for 2B coming up with the nickname?

OniBaka

Well there was that scene at the forest kingdom where she almost said it casually to him. We all thought it was just her being awkward but nope.

In Route C you can find 2B's Flight Unit in the Flooded City and it has a recording for 9S of 2B saying "Nine...s" and some other cute stuff.

Squire

Banned
What is the argument for 2B coming up with the nickname?

Well there was that scene at the forest kingdom where she almost said it casually to him. We all thought it was just her being awkward but nope.

Right. The slip-up is the argument itself because with the context that they have a pre-existing relationship (heck, multiple pre-existing relationships), you can tell she wasn't awkwardly trying to acknowledge his request; She messed up. Calling him that is one of the things she did, but now tries not to do as not to make the inevitable end of it all even worse.

Obviously she says it when she dies, too. Yeah, I think she came up with it. They've been partners for three years. 21O is definitely not calling him that, so who else would be?

Top Bottom