• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2017 |OT| We’ve Been Here Since October

Ondor

Banned
Are you new to this
Nope. This is the deepest our prospect pool has been in half a decade. We have legitimate game-stealers in Brock Boeser and Thatcher Demko. We have a plethora of scoring wingers who hopefully all pan out. The D-corps needs serious work and and we're only decentish down the middle but we are starting to look like a team with some potential.

Granted, this management group has set the bar very low. But a while ago the bar was on the floor and they were digging under it, now we're at the very least stepping over it.

I feel... exasperated.

Socreges

Banned
Nope. This is the deepest our prospect pool has been in half a decade. We have legitimate game-stealers in Brock Boeser and Thatcher Demko. We have a plethora of scoring wingers who hopefully all pan out. The D-corps needs serious work and and we're only decentish down the middle but we are starting to look like a team with some potential.

Granted, this management group has set the bar very low. But a while ago the bar was on the floor and they were digging under it, now we're at the very least stepping over it.

I feel... exasperated.
I don't disagree with any of that. But...how they perform against Calgary's duds in a preseason game doesn't have any bearing on what we can expect tomorrow much less in two weeks or two years.

Boeser, though. He's sustained the hype from his few games to end the season. The kid is good. I'll allow myself to get my expectations up.

Socreges

Banned
Virtanen is a prototypical 'flashes of brilliance' kind of player. He'll be completely ineffective on both ends of the ice and then, on occasion, drive to the net and score. Put the kid back in the oven. Another year in Utica and let's hope for the best.

Alucard

Banned
The pre-season is such a weird thing. I've learned not to get very invested in it, but it's still fun when someone like Jake Guentzel scores five points in a game.

PillarEN

Season is long enough where I just check out the highlights of preseason games, if even that. I expect the journalists to inform me if one or two players make the jump before game 1 of the regular season.

Just saw the Boeser goal 👌

Hopefully we're not talking about preseason Brock in a few months

I'm expecting him to put up at least the same #'s as Connor Brown did last season. 30 to 50 points. I'm just a bit worried he'll get overexposed to other teams' top lines and top pairings too much.

mdubs

Banned
Yeah the Fanatics replicas look awful. The Adidas ones are actually pretty nice except for the stupid collars.
I actually don’t mind too much now that the authentics are cheaper. Obviously $200 Cad is steep for a jersey but I like there is less of a price gap between the replica and authentics now

Marvie_3

Banned
I actually don’t mind too much now that the authentics are cheaper. Obviously $200 Cad is steep for a jersey but I like there is less of a price gap between the replica and authentics now
Definitely. Theyrea bit uglier basically the same quality as the Reebok authentics but theyre waaay cheaper. Its a good trade off. I like that the Adidas ones got rid that flare on the bottom too.

My only takeaway from that blog is HOLY SHIT Vegas' uniforms are ugly.
No lies here.

mdubs

Banned
The AdiZero jerseys look really good imo. Here's a gallery of close up images from Pro Image in Pickering (my jersey retailer of choice)https://www.facebook.com/pg/ProImagePTC/photos/?tab=album&album_id=1668724526537840

They also compare them with the RBK edge jerseys which is helpful.

Edit:
21617887_1668723816537911_2608610890590003050_n.jpg

21617723_1668723593204600_2196872639736867171_n.jpg

Ondor

Banned
I don't disagree with any of that. But...how they perform against Calgary's duds in a preseason game doesn't have any bearing on what we can expect tomorrow much less in two weeks or two years.

Boeser, though. He's sustained the hype from his few games to end the season. The kid is good. I'll allow myself to get my expectations up.
That's fair. As long as we're all aboard the Boeser hype train.

Also sorry, China. The Canucks lost and let Kings fans loose in your country.

Cake Boss

Banned
Chris Nichols @NicholsOnHockey
Dreger: “I still feel like Ottawa and the Columbus Blue Jackets are the front-runners” for Duchene. #Avs #Sens #CBJ 1050

Oh neato. thanks drager, you're always reliable with these things.

Cake Boss

Banned
At one point it was Ceci and maybe the young defenseman
Thomas Chabot had to be involved
. There are some pretty key forwards in
the Ottawa Senators that are rumored to potentially have been part of an
ask as well."

lol sacock pls.

Socreges

Banned
I'm expecting him to put up at least the same #'s as Connor Brown did last season. 30 to 50 points. I'm just a bit worried he'll get overexposed to other teams' top lines and top pairings too much.
You're "worried", bones?? Got some affection left in that empty husk?

30-50 points is a huge range, so agreed. I'm expecting 25/15 if he's healthy all year. Pretty optimistic but I think he can do it. While better competition will be an issue, I'm more concerned about his linemates. But so far he seems to have a knack for creating offense on his own.

Gunstar Ikari

Unconfirmed Member
Apparently Laviolette is toying with the idea of pulling Arvidsson off of the top line.

I think it would be a bad idea, even if someone like Fiala gets slotted in. But we'll see.

Cake Boss

Banned

Dude seems to be going out of his way to say nice shit about Ceci, mostly being over the top as well. Last year he never said anything like that. And he did this a couple of nights ago too. A weird unorthodox pattern.

The team has a record of trying to make deals through the media and over the top praising players that are rumored to be in deals. see Greening, Cowen, Lazar, Chiasson, Spezza, Prince.

Socreges

Banned
Dude seems to be going out of his way to say nice shit about Ceci, mostly being over the top as well. Last year he never said anything like that. And he did this a couple of nights ago too. A weird unorthodox pattern.

The team has a record of trying to make deals through the media and over the top praising players that are rumored to be in deals. see Greening, Cowen, Lazar, Chiasson, Spezza.
Haven't they already turned down generous offers for Ceci?

Ceci's loveathon reminds me a bit of the stats community's deep affection for Marincin. The Athletic's Leafs preview even had a like questioning why the team doesn't rate him higher.

Cake Boss

Banned
The thing with Ceci is that you don't even need advance stats to tell you that he is garbage.

The so called 'haters' of advanced stats always like to use the term 'eye test', and even during the eye test, this motherfucker fails. Every time he is on the ice, the team is getting hemmed in their zone, out chanced, out shot, and outscored. You closely watch him and notice that this dude has no brain, he is aimlessly skating around with no purpose, hes always a second late to the play, can't make a read and just runs around like a headless chicken. Idiots see this and they assume oh hes a good skater and making an effort, even though isn't accomplishing anything. The dude never knows where to go, chases the wrong person, barely wins puck battles, and when he does get the puck, his passes are frantic and inaccurate, he can't shoot for shit, he can't pass and he cant defend. He skates good and makes an effort to go in the corners, so I guess that's good enough for some to see "good hockey player".

Fuck I hate Ceci, he is Chris Philips reincarnation. At least Philips was great in his 20s.
Damn that felt good

Top Bottom