• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix plans to spend $8 billion to make its library 50 percent original by 2018

iiicon

Fund some Canadian Scifi

Bring back This Is Wonderland, and Slings and Arrows. Think of all the Gemini Canadian Screen Awards you could win.

There must be at least two other people who liked those shows at the time and would be just curious enough to watch their revivals but not curious enough to see if those shows hold up.

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.
The biggest issue is they can't even market all this stuff. It seems to be multiple original series or movie releases a week, many of which come out with no marketing or mention whatsoever. I have no idea what like 70% of this stuff even is, only some of it gets any internet hype at all. They are showing so much at us, but does anyone even know that lot of this even exists?
It does feel a bit like Netflix is a slightly classier “direct to video” fate for these movies.

It's a risky maneuver but it is their only path for survival. This market is extremely tough and there's no way they'd survive otherwise.

It's too bad though. It would have been nice to live in a world where Netflix became a great archive of TV and movies.

Zzoram

There does need to be more marketing for Originals because there are so many things on Netflix it's easy to overlook new content.

LifEndz

Aren't they doing a witcher series or am I imagining things?

Edit: Yup, knew I didn't imagine this. This, if done right, could be as big a get from them as Thrones for HBO.

It's a risky maneuver but it is their only path for survival. This market is extremely tough and there's no way they'd survive otherwise.

It's too bad though. It would have been nice to live in a world where Netflix became a great archive of TV and movies.

Technically they still can be the great archive as long as they are one of the last services standing in the end. I think a lot of the smaller streaming services will eventually shut down since people are enharently lazy and cheap and won’t subscribe to more than 3ish services.

Nategc20

Banned
I miss when netflix had movies
This. They going all in with their own content but I can't watch the movies I started paying for Netflix in the first place. I wanted all my favorite movies in one place, a huge solid library in one app, but now it's just littered with movies I never heard of and shows I'm not sure I want to invest in. Netflix is getting played out.

The biggest issue is they can't even market all this stuff. It seems to be multiple original series or movie releases a week, many of which come out with no marketing or mention whatsoever. I have no idea what like 70% of this stuff even is, only some of it gets any internet hype at all. They are showing so much at us, but does anyone even know that lot of this even exists?
And their category sections are a fucking mess. Just casually browsing comedy is a nightmare when you have to trawl through 100 Spanish movies, 100 Indian movies, 100 Korean movies, just to find an English movie. I have no problem watching any of those, but sometimes you're in the mood for one and not the others. I can see people who prefer one to the other just giving up searching.

Drain You

I really had no idea Netflix caught so much flak for their original content. Maybe I'm just easily amused or have low standards for what more often than not ends up as my background noise. Either way, I stand by that it's good stuff.

Kieli

Every person and their grandmother is trying to get on the subscription bandwagon.

It's obnoxious. Do what you gotta do to survive Netflix.

FiggyCal

Banned
I really had no idea Netflix caught so much flak for their original content. Maybe I'm just easily amused or have low standards for what more often than not ends up as my background noise. Either way, I stand by that it's good stuff.

Some of it is pretty good, most of it is pretty mediocre.

And all the while, their movie selection seems to be getting worse. Which is why I originally signed up for Netflix all those years ago. Plus they keep raising their prices to produce so many shows I just don't care for.

Edit: My biggest worry is that every subscription service is going down this road and it's just dumb. I want all my movies and t.v. shows in one place, not paying for three different subscriptions so they can all make original shows. I feel like they lost the plot...

Drain You

Some of it is pretty good, most of it is pretty mediocre.

And all the while, their movie selection seems to be getting worse. Which is why I originally signed up for Netflix all those years ago. Plus they keep raising their prices to produce so many shows I just don't care for.

Can't disagree with ya about movies and Netflix at all. I'm just happy they have something somewhat tolerable to listen to in the background as opposed to repeats of CSI Miami, lol.

FiggyCal

Banned
What is amazon doing cuz while having prime and I have literally only used it once to watch an anime that wasn't on crunchyroll due to exclusivity and the interface was godawful.

I'm not sure what they have planned, but their big shows right now are Transparent and Man in the High Castle. The Tick is pretty good too. But I'm sure they're working on more stuff. I think in terms of original content, they're relatively new compared to Netflix and Hulu.

black_13

Banned
Blah.

For every good piece of content that Netflix produces they also seem to produce a dozen pieces of shit. I liked it better when Netflix only had a few shows and they put everything into it.

I can't watch some of my favorite older shows because Netflix is making so much original content that I don't care about. If I want to watch Chuck, or Scrubs, or Fringe I'm screwed. But I can watch a ton of Netflix originals that I never asked for.

Agreed. They started out with some quality shows but I barely like anything new from them now. The Marvel stuff all turned to garbage with the Defenders and Iron Fist.

I wish they keep more good licensed stuff to be honest than forcibly try create new mediocre content.

FiggyCal

Banned
Agreed. They started out with some quality shows but I barely like anything new from them now. The Marvel stuff all turned to garbage with the Defenders and Iron Fist.

I wish they keep more good licensed stuff to be honest than forcibly try create new mediocre content.

Iron fist really fucked them over. What a mess.

Drain You

I'm not sure what they have planned, but their big shows right now are Transparent and Man in the High Castle. The Tick is pretty good too. But I'm sure they're working on more stuff. I think in terms of original content, they're relatively new compared to Netflix and Hulu.

Man in the High Castle is so good and worth it alone. Also I just wanted to add, I think I remember watching a pilot about these guys moving to some farm for jobs. Thought it was pretty funny, hope thats still coming.

C4Lukins

Good to hear that they are all in.

When you compare what Amazon, Hulu, Stars, HBO, and Showtime are doing, ...

Every month Netflix has either a couple of new things, or a new season or threee that interests me.

Grazzt

Recent original shows are really good. Bojack S4, Ozark, American Vandal and Mindhunter.
Can't wait for Stranger Things S2.

It's not surprising when you think about it. The lines have metaphorically been drawn in the sand as far as streaming content goes what with Disney planning to pull all their content and launch their own service(s) in 2019, CBS walling off Stark Trek: Discovery behind their own streaming service, and other companies like Warner Bros. also working on their unique service.

Netflix is definitely going to feel this so it makes sense for them to start pumping more money into their original content selling their subscribers on the idea of them before they start jumping ship.

sleepnaught

I enjoy Netflix original content so this is a great news to me. Between Amazon, Netflix, and HBO Now, I never have trouble finding something great to watch.

Arondight

They need a fantasy series.
Yeah. I got Netflix for classic watching and to explore new stuff. I kind of dislike how now I have less access to non-Netflix content than before.

Probably not just fantasy but a generally a good consistent epic to watch on par with the quality of GOT or Black Sails. I wouldn't mind original content if it was more consistent in quality but so far, they're kind of a mixed bag in terms of quality, half the time you have great quality and then the other half is just terrible.

This. A 10 episode season of Game of thrones cost $100 million. They paid Dave Chappelle $60 million for 3 comedy specials. WTF! They need to start investing in some huge series. Oh, and make it a weekly show instead of giving you everything at once. I think the whole binge watch thing is bad business.

If only they spent that amount on a couple of quality TV shows every year. I still find it amazing that GOT costs around 100 million. I think the binge also isn't quite great as well, it's nice initially but it does absolutely kill discussion, community not to mention the quick succession doesn't allow for digesting everything seen. Even starting by spreading the content one episode every 2 days or 4 days would do wonders and it would make it so that if they did have enough quality shows, that one show would lead on to the next giving people ample amount of content throughout the year.

I also vastly prefer TV content more than films the last film I watched must of been Beasts of no Nations.

Netflix is too good to us. The price is still relatively low compared to other services, their player is probably the best in the market, all tv episodes released at once, and there are no ads. Somethings gotta give eventually though, and of course they are going to spend money to make more original content. The reason being is that all of the other companies want a piece of the Netflix pie so they are pulling their content to start their own services. Netflix has to survive on something. And yeah, a good portion of their originals have been trash (like the Sandler movies) but I don't blame them for trying to pull in an audience, and Sandler at least used to have one. I don't know how anyone could say that they are all trash though. They've released two films just this month that I've enjoyed (Gerald's Game and The Babysitter). Add their documentaries and tv shows into that and I think they offer a fine value. I do wish I could have my AMC shows on there forever, but I won't be surprised when one day I log on and they're not. Netflix doesn't own them.

I hope these investments pay off for them and that they keep taking chances on unique projects (Okja, Stranger Things, The Irishman, etc.) They seem to be interested in giving their creators chances and after all of these years of continued service they have my loyalty.

I agree with others about Netflix paying too much for certain projects. I love Dave Chappelle and all, but $60,000,000 is insane for 3 comedy specials. Then again, we live in a world where some classic tv shows can fetch a price as high as $100,000,000.

... this is a horrible trend. I want old movies and shit. Not shows that I half watch and forget about

Yeah. I got Netflix for classic watching and to explore new stuff. I kind of dislike how now I have less access to non-Netflix content than before.

I can't watch some of my favorite older shows because Netflix is making so much original content that I don't care about. If I want to watch Chuck, or Scrubs, or Fringe I'm screwed. But I can watch a ton of Netflix originals that I never asked for.

Then talk to the folks that have the rights to those old movies and non-Netflix stuff.

Companies are raising their prices for that content. They also want to put that content on their own platforms. Even beyond that, assuming Netflix would be able to keep stuff, they'd have to start charging more and folks already pitched a fit that sub prices are going up $2, so that's a no-go.

You can be unhappy with it, but at least place the blame on the right party.

Stay in the David Fincher business, please.

He said he's lost his fight to pitch movies and get budgets now (even gone girl was a hard sell to the studios and then it ends up making like almost 300 million lol)

It's pretty sad. And id rather see his movies in theaters. But if Netflix is willing to put up the money for his films then I really hope he considers it rather than sticking to tv

Like I'm enjoying mindhunters quite a bit but in the grand scheme of things it's one of the worst things he's worked on this century too. Mans gotta make more movies.

I've actually enjoyed quite a few recent Netflix Originals tbh, they have been going upwards in terms of quality or becoming more consistent I feel.

Sulik2

All these streaming services are going to die. The market won't be able to sustain every channel and production company making their own streaming service for 10 bucks a month. Netflix should be saving its money and only taking sure shots at original content and building a bank it can use until the eventual crash and consolidation of the streaming market again.

numble

Technically they still can be the great archive as long as they are one of the last services standing in the end. I think a lot of the smaller streaming services will eventually shut down since people are enharently lazy and cheap and won’t subscribe to more than 3ish services.

All these streaming services are going to die. The market won't be able to sustain every channel and production company making their own streaming service for 10 bucks a month. Netflix should be saving its money and only taking sure shots at original content and building a bang it can use until the eventual crash and consolidation of the streaming market again.

The end result of a Netflix monopoly is more likely that the currently low subscription price is higher.

While some of the subscription services of the traditional content companies do not last, there is little indication that all competition will die off. Amazon has 80 million subscribers, HBO has 50 million, and Apple has 30 million.

Finally, content owners can just choose to collect digital revenue in the form of digital purchases instead of take small amounts from streaming services. Before the many competing streaming services came about and Netflix was the only streaming video service in town, many providers just chose to keep their content off Netflix. We can look at the China streaming market (where subscriptions are like $2-$5/month) to see that many content owners will balk at putting their content on these platforms when the revenue is paltry.

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus
Netflix needs to chill with releasing entire season at once. Give us some time to digest the product. Also, they need a Live Stream that has News, Sports and Talk.

knkng

All these streaming services are going to die. The market won't be able to sustain every channel and production company making their own streaming service for 10 bucks a month. Netflix should be saving its money and only taking sure shots at original content and building a bang it can use until the eventual crash and consolidation of the streaming market again.

But in your scenario, why would the market consolidate to Netflix? If they're simply looking to have a handful of high quality properties to sell, then I could understand. But if Netflix wants to maintain their status as market leader, then they will need a great deal of capital in the form of both original content + userbase.

When the streaming market eventually collapses, it will all be folding into the highest stakeholder. If Netflix comes to the table with only 20 or 30 items plus a mediocre userbase, then they're DOA.

Danneee

Well, then I’m planning on paying 100% less for Netflix in 2018. Most of their original stuff is crap, with a few exceptions.

I guess since everyone is pulling everything so they can start their own subscription based apps Netflix has no other choice. Dammit it's gonna be worse than cable by the time this is all done.
Yep.

My thoughts exactly.

The golden age of Netflix being a one stop shop for movies, and TV shows was bound to have a limited shelf life, though, so this news does not surprise me at all. Everyone wants that Netflix money, and in pursuit of that we are gonna have 9 million challengers to the throne, like CBS All Access.

As it is, I'm surprised CBS has not already pulled their content, like Star Trek, from Netflix.

Top Bottom