• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football 2017 Offseason: We're Not a Football School Anyway

That O-line is why I think FSU is gonna fall in line with the rest of Saban's opening opponents, even if they should almost stack up on paper.

Cannot. Wait.

That O-line is why I think FSU is gonna fall in line with the rest of Saban's opening opponents, even if they should almost stack up on paper.

Cannot. Wait.
This is why I also think Bama wins overall so long as they play ball control and keep Derwin James in check.

The Front 7 will save the day for Bama

This is why I also think Bama wins overall so long as they play ball control and keep Derwin James in check.

The Front 7 will save the day for Bama

Their secondary vs. Jalen is really the only thing I think they have the advantage in. Maybe their defensive line against the right side of our O-line depending on how that situation turns out. But their LBs look iffy, they don't have an established threat at WR yet (lots of talent, though), and even with Francois running the show, it's largely a pro style offense dependent on having a dominating run game, and, that's probably not gonna pan out for them.

I'm sure Akers is a hell of a runner, but he'd better know his assignments in passing situations, or that game could get ugly.

Of course, all this is moot if Jalen stinks it up against James and co (even though I expect he'll win his share of battles running the ball against Derwin, those two are tremendous athletes).

andycapps

I hope you're right. He'd be a program changer.

Hope those stars of yours shine through against UF.

But let's wait until Jacksonville for the trash talk :p

5Pn8GI6.gif

Heard Fields was at FSU this week.

I'd rather he end up in Gainesville though. Fuck the Noles.

Fields and Corral are both at UF today, so I'm sure that's awkward.

FWIW I think that Fields goes to UGA and Corral ends up with UF. If Fields goes to FSU, then I think Corral ends up at UGA.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Here's the one thing about Fields though. He might think he's so good and saw all the Francois complaints figuring he can come in and be the savior.

andycapps

Here's the one thing about Fields though. He might think he's so good and saw all the Francois complaints figuring he can come in and be the savior.
It's possible, and Jimbo has done a good job with QBs. His sister is also attending UGA and playing softball, he grew up a UGA fan, and his family are UGA fans so we'll see if all that outweighs Fromm and Eason being ahead of him.

Fair. I'd hope he'd be smart enough to realize a lot of his struggles were on that offensive line (he's got a lot to improve on himself too, though, his completion percentage against top 25 defenses was somewhere south of 50% I think).

andycapps

Fair. I'd hope he'd be smart enough to realize a lot of his struggles were on that offensive line (he's got a lot to improve on himself too, though, his completion percentage against top 25 defenses was somewhere south of 50% I think).
Francois was running for his life against those top defenses though. There's a reason why the percentage was so low there. I watched several FSU games and felt bad for Francois while also having respect for him after getting up off the turf so many times.

Francois was running for his life against those top defenses though. There's a reason why the percentage was so low there. I watched several FSU games and felt bad for Francois while also having respect for him after getting up off the turf so many times.

Even when given time, he had accuracy issues all his own. A good deal of his sacks were on him holding the ball too long too, which is a weird problem to have with that line. You'd think he'd have been getting it out too early if anything.

But nah, I've got a ton of respect for him. I think he's a hell of a player, just not sure what his ceiling is if that line doesn't improve significantly.

In other news, 10% of the Walter Camp award watchlist are Bama players. Good grief, they're getting a lot of love right now.

What Francois complaints.

I've seen my share of it. From diehard FSU fans at that.

Wouldn't call them bright, though. He had a good season.

According to reddit kiffikens is gunning for the ole Miss job. He is God's gift to cfb schadenfreude.

He has accomplished a lot at whatever school he has been coaching for the past few months, they started from nothing and clawed their way to the top, who can forget the big win at the spring game.

It is now time for someone else to grab the baton.

Is there any way kiffin could of get out of his FAU contract before this season starts? I'm sure ole miss wants to have a coach for THIS season and not an interim

andycapps

Does anyone think that Kiffin is patient enough to stick out a couple years of NCAA sanctions, bowl bans, and scholarship reductions? Best case scenario that is 4-5 year rebuilding project at this point.

El_Chino

Who is the best offensive and defensive player on your team?

OU

Offense: Baker Mayfield (QB)
Defense: Jordan Thomas (CB)
UF

Offense: Antonio Callaway
Defense: Chauncey Gardner
Not really, seems to indicate that Corral knows Fields is going to UGA if Corral committed to UF before he was scheduled to go to UGA on the 26th. UGA and UF were his top schools.
Except Fields extended his stay at FSU a bit and quite a few of recruiting insiders believe Fields is FSU bound.

Wait wtf how did I end up with Rocky Top and not mre?

Not really, seems to indicate that Corral knows Fields is going to UGA if Corral committed to UF before he was scheduled to go to UGA on the 26th. UGA and UF were his top schools.

I seriously think he's going to Tampa, man. If y'all think the FSU QB situation isn't inviting, UGA's has got to be worse with Eason and Fromm there, right?

Who is the best offensive and defensive player on your team?

OU

Offense: Baker Mayfield (QB)
Defense: Jordan Thomas (CB)

Offensive: when healthy, Bo Scarbrough. Otherwise, Calvin Ridley. I could hear the argument for Jonah Williams, though. (Damn, we really are loaded offensively this year)
Defensive: Minkah Fitzpatrick

andycapps

I seriously think he's going to Tampa, man. If y'all think the FSU QB situation isn't inviting, UGA's has got to be worse with Eason and Fromm there, right?

What's in Tampa? I think the FSU qb situation is more inviting but there's a lot to be said for your parents being able to get to your game in under an hour, attending the same school where your sister is playing softball, getting a degree from the state university where you will live and work when your playing days are over, and the school that you and your family were fans of growing up.

As far as the opportunity goes, I think he probably beats out Fromm if he comes. He'd have to wait a year until Eason goes pro but he'd have to do that at FSU too. He has a better arm than Fromm and can move better, though Fromm isn't a statue and is similar to Murray, who a lot of people forget was a dual threat QB out of HS. Richt just never let Murray run it because of being worried about injuries.

El_Chino

What's in Tampa? I think the FSU qb situation is more inviting but there's a lot to be said for your parents being able to get to your game in under an hour, attending the same school where your sister is playing softball, getting a degree from the state university where you will live and work when your playing days are over, and the school that you and your family were fans of growing up.

As far as the opportunity goes, I think he probably beats out Fromm if he comes. He'd have to wait a year until Eason goes pro but he'd have to do that at FSU too. He has a better arm than Fromm and can move better, though Fromm isn't a statue and is similar to Murray, who a lot of people forget was a dual threat QB out of HS. Richt just never let Murray run it because of being worried about injuries.
Business decision.

(Why the hell did I write Tampa? That was weird lol)

I hear all of this, but I think you're leaning too far away from this being a business decision. If he thinks FSU is the better situation in terms of coaching and playing time, he's probably going to FSU.

I think that every Alabama fan should end up with Rocky Top as their tag.

Wyd????

Does anyone think that Kiffin is patient enough to stick out a couple years of NCAA sanctions, bowl bans, and scholarship reductions? Best case scenario that is 4-5 year rebuilding project at this point.

He was hired at USC because he was pretty much the only one dumb enough to take the job with the likelihood of sanctions coming in. They were 10-2 his second year before all the roster depth disappeared.

But yeah I don't know why he'd want to walk into a similar situation again, unless he just really wants to be in a big boy league that badly.

He was hired at USC because he was pretty much the only one dumb enough to take the job with the likelihood of sanctions coming in. They were 10-2 his second year before all the roster depth disappeared.

But yeah I don't know why he'd want to walk into a similar situation again, unless he just really wants to be in a big boy league that badly.

Gotta give his ex-wife those checks, breh.

I really hate what the Big XII is doing with its "Championship game". There's a good chance that OU and OSU are going to play in the last week of the season, then play again the following week. Is OU beating OSU a second time in a week (or vice versa) going to really impress the committee enough to put them ahead of another team? I think there's a better chance that the Big XII championship game plays spolier and keeps them out of the playoffs.

The conference either needs to find two strong schools to join, or dissolve.

Karl2177

Alabama was the team that reaped the rewards of a Cyclone victory over OSU. And what did we get in return? 6 years of mediocrity--mediocrity even by Iowa State standards! This is the bama punishment.

Also because of the 2001 Independence Bowl.

I really hate what the Big XII is doing with its "Championship game". There's a good chance that OU and OSU are going to play in the last week of the season, then play again the following week. Is OU beating OSU a second time in a week (or vice versa) going to really impress the committee enough to put them ahead of another team? I think there's a better chance that the Big XII championship game plays spolier and keeps them out of the playoffs.

Or... Every other conference needs to drop to 10 teams, because it's the best scheduling system. You do home and aways for basketball, and play every one else in football. If it weren't for the poor man's attempt at putting a team in the first playoff and having co-champions, you would have one true champion every year.

They don't need a championship game. It's so dumb. This is all them overreacting from year one of the playoffs, when they should've been left out, especially since they snubbed their true champion (Baylor) in order to try to increase their odds. As it stands now, with just 10 teams, playing a round robin is enough.

(Think they moved Oklahoma/Okie St up a few weeks, which kinda helps, but, meh)

I've been hoping the SEC would expand for a minute, if only because it's utterly stupid that we go so long without playing cross-divisional teams. Saban is facing Vandy for the second time since he came to Tuscaloosa this season. We haven't played South Carolina since 2010.

That doesn't make any sense. What's even the point of being in a conference, then?

No idea what the timetable on expansion would look like, but I'll be happy to see the Big XII go. It's not even remotely entertaining these days.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Also because of the 2001 Independence Bowl.

I've been an Alabama fan since I was a kid in the 80's, and I know I've at least watched every game live I could, even through "the dark years."

I literally don't remember Alabama playing Iowa State, but there it is. Won 14-13. Wonder what shenanigans might have happened.

The Cyclones just missed a 47-yard field goal attempt with 0:46 remaining in the fourth, which would have given State the lead and potential victory. Subsequent to the game there was some question about whether or not the field goal was actually good, as it sailed directly over one of the uprights.

That sounds almost exactly like what happened...

andycapps

I've been hoping the SEC would expand for a minute, if only because it's utterly stupid that we go so long without playing cross-divisional teams. Saban is facing Vandy for the second time since he came to Tuscaloosa this season. We haven't played South Carolina since 2010.

That doesn't make any sense. What's even the point of being in a conference, then?

No idea what the timetable on expansion would look like, but I'll be happy to see the Big XII go. It's not even remotely entertaining these days.
Won't happen until if/when they're able to negotiate even more money. At this point, from what I understand, if they add anyone, it would divide the conference money further. And they'd be making it harder on themselves by adding a 9th conference game.

So less money and a competitive disadvantage. Doesn't sound like the SEC. It'll happen when it's inevitable but this isn't happening until those media rights can be renegotiated.

cdyhybrid

Won't happen until if/when they're able to negotiate even more money. At this point, from what I understand, if they add anyone, it would divide the conference money further. And they'd be making it harder on themselves by adding a 9th conference game.

So less money and a competitive disadvantage. Doesn't sound like the SEC. It'll happen when it's inevitable but this isn't happening until those media rights can be renegotiated.

It's not so much a competitive disadvantage as it is losing a competitive advantage.

Wait, what's the competitive disadvantage? The SEC and ACC are the only ones still doing 8 conference games right?

Though I'd sympathize mightily with the likes of Florida & Georgia if/when we expand. Having to play 9 SEC teams + an OOC P5 every year? Yikes.

Top Bottom