• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So uhh, that Crash remaster is looking pretty fucking good.

Trace

Banned
Hey, sorry I brought common sense to your sacred childhood favorite game.

If you don't think the original needs improvements why aren't you playing them now instead of waiting for this? Those 30 fps needed as much upgrading as the 320*240 resolution and lack of texture filtering.

Ahh yes, the difference of 30 to 60 FPS is the same as the difference of 240p to checkerboard 4k + massively upgraded models and effects and control changes.

Do you even think before you post?

hotcyder

790zXNA.png

LkIbEIo.png

Savantcore

Unconfirmed Member
NO

A remake is a new game, a remaster is an old game. These are the old games.

Ha, what the heck does this mean. So if they made a new Crash from the ground up it'd be a remake? Is MGS2 a remake? How about the latest Gears of War? They were 'new games'.

There was an amazing analysis of Crash Bandicoot (PS1) and a breakdown of the shapes and art style that went along with it. It was amazing, but I annoyingly can't find it.

I'm all keen for this remaster, but I'm concerned that it will lose the smaller touches that the video points out.

https://youtu.be/0sbUdMNIG20

Not completely sure it's the one you're looking for but this video also takes a look on why the future Crash games don't compare to Naughty Dog's trilogy.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
The crappy Burton Planet of the Apes is a reimagining, not a remake. For reference.
I think a specific version of Crash 2 had analogue support added.
From memory I think Crash 2 included analogue movement, though I'm sure someone here will correct me if I'm wrong.
Upon looking it up yeah, the early Crash 2 didn't have analog but later releases did. Explains why the PSN version didn't have analog.

rjc571

Banned
Ahh yes, the difference of 30 to 60 FPS is the same as the difference of 240p to checkerboard 4k + massively upgraded models and effects and control changes.

Do you lose your cool every time somebody has a different opinion than you? Some people may not give a shit about "massively upgraded models and effects" and might value fluidity and responsiveness more, you know.

Hektor

Gosh, this looks so dumb and uninspired.

Passssss

What kind of inspiredness did you hope for in a remake of 20 year old games? They're already doing some new stuff with it like playable coco

How is a difference in framerate not the same as the difference in resolution?

Piggus

As long as it runs at 60fps, it's still better than this hash-job of a "remaster."

In what way is this a hash job of a remaster? Because it doesn't run at your desired framerate? They literally rebuilt the entire game from scratch based on the existing level geometry.

I guess you can't please everyone. At least those of us who actually played the originals can appreciate the work that was done here.

ZeroX03

Banned
So the first game was probably the first game I played (or at least owned), never finished it, only saw the late levels with cheats. Looking forward to going back and playing it througj properly.

How are the other two games by comparison? I'm curious to see how they'll play without having touched them in the past.

Crash 2 is amazing and Crash 3 is pretty good. They're both way better than Crash 1, and a lot of work went into fixing Crash 1's issues in this collection which is good. I probably wouldn't want to replay it otherwise, while the other two hold up nicely.

NO

A remake is a new game, a remaster is an old game. These are the old games.

So is this a parody of somebody being wrong, or are you just wrong?

Trace

Banned
What kind of inspiredness did you hope for in a remake of 20 year old games? They're already doing some new stuff with it like playable coco

How is a difference in framerate not the same as the difference in resolution?

So in your opinion, playing a game and going from 240p to 4k is the same as going from 30fps to 60fps?

Do you lose your cool every time somebody has a different opinion than you? Some people may not give a shit about "massively upgraded models and effects" and might value fluidity and responsiveness more, you know.

And maybe those people shouldn't have expected "fluidity and responsiveness" in a remake of a 30 fps title?

big_z

Gosh, this looks so dumb and uninspired.

Passssss

the game itself isn't very good but for those growing up that never played the n64 this is what they remember as a "good" platformer.

...crash had good commercials though.

jimboton

Crash needs 60 FPS indeed a lot more than checkerboard 4k, as does any fast paced platformer. It was the biggest 'control change' that was needed lol.

Likely more than you.

Hektor

So in your opinion, playing a game and going from 240p to 4k is the same as going from 30fps to 60fps?

Neverminding the fact that the game isn't even 4k on the base ps4, yes? Both things are technological aspects that could need improvements as they impact the enjoyment of a videogame

And maybe those people shouldn't have expected "fluidity and responsiveness" in a remake of a 30 fps title?

Maybe people shouldn't expect a resolution upgrade in a remake from a 240p title either? What even is that post

Trace

Banned
Crash needs 60 FPS indeed a lot more than checkerboard 4k, as does any fast paced platformer. It was the biggest 'control change' that was needed lol.

Likely more than you.

Crash doesn't "need" 60fps any more than any other game. The game played great at 30 and the remaster will play even better. Sorry if that's not for you, you're free to spend your money elsewhere.

Neverminding the fact that the game isn't even 4k on the base ps4, yes? Both things are technological aspects that could need improvements as they impact the enjoyment of a videogame

You continue to ignore my point and substitute what you're trying to talk about. I'm talking specifically about orders of magnitude.

PaulloDEC

the game itself isn't very good but for those growing up that never played the n64 this is what they remember as a "good" platformer.

Has anyone made a Crash Thread Bingo card? I'm starting to think we need one.

Lace

The amount of shit posting is crazy in this thread. I feel like this game is bringing some real repressed childhood anger out.

Personally I'm amazed at what the team has accomplished with remaking these games. It's a tough balance to make sure the soul of the original is still there, but still find ways to update the experience. There are certain graphical updates like the water that needs some tweaking but overall seems like the devs did a great job.

AlanOC91

So a remake shouldn't be expected to make improvements in areas that need improving?

It should, but it didn't (at least for the 60 fps).

So I don't think the constant posting for it should occur. It's done, it's over. The game is made.

Let the ones who are happy to still have it enjoy it. Constantly going around in a circle about it isn't going to change what's releasing.

Geez, this thread is after getting whingy.

Trace

Banned
So a remake shouldn't be expected to make improvements in areas that need improving?

We might as well make it 240 fps to please you right? Game development is all tradeoffs, obviously in a remake of a 30 fps game that played great at 30 fps they're going to push graphical fidelity over framerate.

Yeah, it does look great. I can't wait to play it.

While I know they've improved Crash 1's saving, do we know if you still need to clear a level without dying to get the gem, or have they changed it to the much more reasonable "just break all the boxes" of the sequels?

AlanOC91

While I know they've improved Crash 1's saving, do we know if you still need to clear a level without dying to get the gem, or have they changed it to the much more reasonable "just break all the boxes" of the sequels?

Holy shit did you have to do it without dying in the original?

My brother said that to me yesterday and I was like "nah, that was never the case. You just had to break all the boxes".

pswii60

The game looks fantastic, surprised at some of the posts in here.

And the simple gameplay is not to be sniffed at. There's a whole crowd out there put off getting in to games because they struggle to control the camera, or find there's too many buttons to remember etc. It's fine when you've been gaming for years, but I think people don't realise how difficult it is for newcomers to join us in enjoying our hobby.

Games like this are perfect for those people as an entry in to the world of videogames. And Knack - despite its many flaws - also targeted this audience. There is room for these types of games and critics and fellow GAFers alike shouldn't be so quick to dismiss them.

rjc571

Banned

So I don't think the constant posting for it should occur. It's done, it's over. The game is made.

Let the ones who are happy to still have it enjoy it. Constantly going around in a circle about it isn't going to change what's releasing.

What, you can't enjoy the game if somebody voices a negative opinion about it on a message board?

We might as well make it 240 fps to please you right? Game development is all tradeoffs, obviously in a remake of a 30 fps game that played great at 30 fps they're going to push graphical fidelity over framerate.

It played great at 320x240 with a couple thousand polygons per frame and digital controls so I guess they shouldn't have updated any of those things either.

AlanOC91

What, you can't enjoy the game if somebody voices a negative opinion about it on a message board?

I can enjoy it perfectly. Not sure how you read it like that.

I just don't see why people have to rehash the same argument 1000 times despite the fact it's not going to change anything. Why bother?

Undrey

I'm 95% sure they fixed it to match it with the sequels.

Hektor

You continue to ignore my point and substitute what you're trying to talk about. I'm talking specifically about orders of magnitude.

Orders of magnitude are irrelevant to the argument at hand that the framerate could stand improvement in a remake just like every over aspect

Undrey

It played great at 320x240 with a couple thousand polygons per frame and digital controls so I guess they shouldn't have updated any of those things either.

How many games are released at 320x240 these days vs how many games are released at 30fps these days

Games like this are perfect for those people as an entry in to the world of videogames. And Knack - despite its many flaws - also targeted this audience. There is room for these types of games and critics and fellow GAFers alike shouldn't be so quick to dismiss them.

Great post.

I'm actually playing Knack right now on Hard and honestly finding it enjoyable and challenging.

rjc571

Banned
I can enjoy it perfectly. Not sure how you read it like that.

I just don't see why people have to rehash the same argument 1000 times despite the fact it's not going to change anything. Why bother?

Saying "let the people enjoy it" implies that me expressing my opinion is impeding other people from enjoying it.

Given that many remakes/remasters do have their fps improved to 60 I'm guessing that developers do take fan feedback into account to some degree.

Drencrom

Do you really think most people in this thread haven't played any other platformers in their life besides Crash since the PS1 days? I'd bet most gaffers who are interested in this Crash remaster are actually fans of platformers like Mario, DKC etc

The shitposting in Crash thread from old N64 console warriors and the like is pretty humorous I must say.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist

People shouldn't be afraid to advocate for the features they want. Community feedback is the reason why Bomberman R got fixed.

Trace

Banned
Saying "let the people enjoy it" implies that me expressing my opinion is impeding other people from enjoying it.

Given that many remakes/remasters do have their fps improved to 60 I'm guessing that developers do take fan feedback into account to some degree.

You should probably drop the "60FPS or die" mentality sometime though. You'll enjoy games more.

The merit of Crash Bandicoot (besides terrific level design, aesthetics and music) is that it offers a tight, linear platforming experience with lots of scope for skilled play and speedrunning. Not sure why it's constantly compared to N64 titles when they don't even try to offer the same experience as the likes of Mario 64 and Banjo. Marketing notwithstanding.

TsuWave

wow. this thread is a mess.

anyway, i'm assuming potential new crash games are dependent on the success of this nsane trilogy so i hope it does well

PaulloDEC

The merit of Crash Bandicoot (besides terrific level design, aesthetics and music) is that it offers a tight, linear platforming experience with lots of scope for skilled play and speedrunning. Not sure why it's constantly compared to N64 titles when they don't even try to offer the same experience as the likes of Mario 64 and Banjo. Marketing notwithstanding.

Because the mid-nineties were pretty much the peak of modern console wars, and old habits die very, very hard.

Lynd7

So how does saving work in this game? I never really played the originals, but having to break all the boxes to save sounds dumb.

AlanOC91

wow. this thread is a mess.

It spiraled out of control quickly :p

People shouldn't be afraid to advocate for the features they want. Community feedback is the reason why Bomberman R got fixed.

Oh I agree. I just disagree with seeing people disregarding/shitting on games in a thread that's dedicated to people enjoying how it looks.

It's like, just save it for another thread instead of rehashing the same arguments in every single thread regarding the game.

I don't know. I just don't understand how people can do it over and over no matter the context of the thread.

PaulloDEC

So how does saving work in this game? I never really played the originals, but having to break all the boxes to save sounds dumb.

I believe modern autosaving has been added across the board, in addition to manual saving from the level select areas.

I'm not sure what you mean about breaking all the boxes; the only progress-related box-breaking is hitting the checkpoint crates while inside levels.

Top Bottom