• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Home versions better than the arcade originals

Glowsquid

Gradius II on the PC Engine CD was near arcade-perfect and included not only a very good extra level with a new boss that fit in perfectly with the rest of the game, but refined various under-the-hood aspects like the shield hitboxes (so that you don't lose the force field by scrapping one pixel of the ground) and made stage III less annoying by reducing the health of the ice blocks.

NoKisum

I would argue most fighting games these days, considering the home version offers more options and modes than the arcade counterpart.

_SAKY_

Turtles in Time SNES, the thread.

No 4 player though.

More like Soul Calibur, the thread.

This is a bit unfair imho, around this you started to see the exit of technology pushing hardwarr in arcade cabinets due to consoles taking over in popularity.

Soltype

I think Vapor Trail and Midnight Resistance were better on the Genesis.I know they certainly sounded better.

Spman2099

Cadash is quite simply a better game on the TG16. It is rebalanced to not be nonsense, and they added a system for reviving allies for the TG16 version (instead of putting in another coin). I also think it looks significantly better (it may not be technically better, but I like the simpler look and TG16 colour pallet.).

Cracklox

Mortal Kombat 2 had a pretty damn solid SNES port. It may not have been 'better' then the arcade but it was at least close and saved me a small fortune in my teenage years.

That game was also my first exposure to the internet. A friend at school one day brought in like a 10-15 page printout of all the fatalities, babalities and all the secret stuff, and I my mind was absolutely blown. He tried explaing how he had a friend 'email' it or some shit to his mums work, but I didn't really understand. Was voodoo magic as far as I was concerned

facelike

I have never seen a ghouls n ghosts arcade cabinet in person I am basing my opinion on capcom classics collections the sega genesis version plays much better more memorable game.

I've played the arcade and home versions of the G&G games, arcades are better.

Bydobob

Gradius II on the PC Engine CD was near arcade-perfect and included not only a very good extra level with a new boss that fit in perfectly with the rest of the game, but refined various under-the-hood aspects like the shield hitboxes (so that you don't lose the force field by scrapping one pixel of the ground) and made stage III less annoying by reducing the health of the ice blocks.

Hmm, as a veteran of the arcade version (and a tad biased!) I'm going to offer a counterpoint. Arcade ran at higher horizontal resolution iirc and a wider aspect ratio. Arcade sound mix was also better. PC Engine has this crashy, reverby ring to the sound effects that intrude on the brilliant soundtrack. Ripple laser sound in particular is a nuisance. Then there are the load times between levels on the PC engine.

The final point is how important is the extra level? 1LC-ing the arcade was hard enough 7/8 long levels. Totally with you on the shield hitboxes though, in tight sections you were almost resigned to losing them.

Carnby

NARC on NES and Pit Fighter on Genesis.

I know most people don't like these games. I never liked the arcade versions of either. But I love the home versions because they are actually playable, and not impossible quarter munchers like the arcade versions were.

It wasn't better, it just wasn't... but I got a lot more out of the Saturn version of Daytona USA.

I really hope we're taking about championship circuit edition here (which is still a stretch) because launch window Daytona USA for Saturn is the absolute last game that belongs in this thread topic.

Not only was the TMNT Turtles in Time Reshelled remake a complete travesty and a dissappintemnt but i was also aghast that this horrible remake to a beloved game wasn't a remake of the version I thought it was! It was a reimagined version of the inferior arcade version!

I didn't know back then how different and superior the SNES game was before buying that horrible remake. Why they didn't remake that one and just slap in 4 player support I'll never know.

Paragon

The first Contra for NES.
Arcade
NES

Though the Arcade version looks better on a technical level, the artstyle is incredible ugly, but more importantly, the NES version has much tighter controls and level design, and all the stages were extended.
The second game's stages were extended for the NES port as well, you even got a new final boss, though in that game I kinda prefer the Arcade version.

This is a gamma correction issue - which I assume only applies to emulation.
contra-no-correctionlgubd.png
contra-gamma-correct56uyv.png

Here's another example from Super Contra:

The palettes used in these games is still a bit ugly, but that first image you posted is not how it's supposed to look.

Skilletor

Better because it uses a controller, you get to stay at home, and you don't use quarters, or....?

Because it's an arcade perfect perfect port as far as gameplay and animations go, and you can play with the additional characters added on the psx/saturn ports.

Biggest neggative is that you can't do 240p.

It's also got hyper SFA which is a lot of fun.

Final Fight CD is the poster child for this - the soundtrack is so incredible and fits so well, I had assumed it was from the arcade version. When we actually later got the 'arcade leefect' version i was incredible dissapointed, it's a world away from the bear perfect CD version.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
No one cares about the original arcade version of Bionic Commando. It's the NES version that everyone loves.

Synth

I really hope we're taking about championship circuit edition here (which is still a stretch) because launch window Daytona USA for Saturn is the absolute last game that belongs in this thread topic.

CCE is an abomination. The original port may have run like shit, but CCE plays like shit.

It shouldn't even have the Daytona USA name on it.

CCE is an abomination. The original port may have run like shit, but CCE plays like shit.

It shouldn't even have the Daytona USA name on it.

Agreed - I was strictly referring to the tech, which had at least come a long way. Bottom line: both versions are laughably bad compared to the arcade version.

nkarafo

SNES Turtles in Time was the first game that came in mind, gg OP.

I played the arcade version after the SNES one and i couldn't believe how inferior it was. The game is a mess and the controls are floaty and imprecise. SNES version plays almost like a different (superior) game.

Nah, Turtles in time was on arcades too, the SNES port had a bunch of cool additions. Like throwing foot soldiers towards the screen :D
And better controls.

Glowsquid

Hmm, as a veteran of the arcade version (and a tad biased!) I'm going to offer a counterpoint. Arcade ran at higher horizontal resolution iirc and a wider aspect ratio. Arcade sound mix was also better. PC Engine has this crashy, reverby ring to the sound effects that intrude on the brilliant soundtrack. Ripple laser sound in particular is a nuisance. Then there are the load times between levels on the PC engine.

The final point is how important is the extra level? 1LC-ing the arcade was hard enough 7/8 long levels. Totally with you on the shield hitboxes though, in tight sections you were almost resigned to losing them.

My exposure to this version was the Wii Virtual Console. I don't know how it is on a real PCCD, probably worse, but as a Neo Geo CD owner, the 5-10 seconds pause between boss deaths and transition to the next level are more than tolerable .

Mind you, the port could be clearly worse in every single way and I'd still call it superior if it reduced the health of the ice blocks in stage 3. I hate that level so much!

Synth

Agreed - I was strictly referring to the tech, which had at least come a long way. Bottom line: both versions are laughably bad compared to the arcade version.

Yea, nothing regarding Daytona USA belongs anywhere near this thread until the XBLA/PSN versions, which OP has explicitly ruled out.

If the opposite of this thread ever gets made, then they should both probably be in the first post.

Zophar

Street Fighter Zero 3 on Saturn has more characters, more frames of animation, and higher resolution sprites than Street Fighter Zero 3 Upper in arcades, iirc.

eXistor

Hellfire on Genesis is supposedly a lot better than the Arcade original. It's also on PC Engine/ TurboGrafx, but from what I understand the Genesis version is the best overall. I've only ever played the Genesis game, so I'm not entirely sure why it's considered superior.

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
WYh5j7v.png

The SNES version allowed any of the pilots to use any plane, added more planes and weapons as a consequence, gave each character more of a specific playstyle, changed up all of the levels, and some other junk. You give up co-op, but that's a small price to pay.
Holy crap, how did I forget this. Kicked the ever loving shit out of the arcade version. Thread should be "UN Squadron the thread".

I might be remembering it wrong (it's been about 16 years) but wasn't Time Crisis on the PSX pretty identical to the Arcade version but also had an additional campaign?

Arcade to NES: Rygar, Ninja Gaiden and Double Dragon 2/3
Arcade to Genesis: E-SWAT

Shit, forgot Haunted Castle to original Castlevania

I'd add Bionic Commando and Strider to that Arcade to NES list, too. Yeah, both arcade versions are flashier and more impressive, but the NES ports had exploration and Metroidvania elements that elevated them.

Kovacs

Many of the recent Sega classics on 3DS could make an argument for this.

Each are arcade perfect representations but have additional features, not least being truly fantastic implementation of 3D which when combined with the eye-locking feature on the New 3DS elevate titles such as Outrun and Super Hang-On with Gyro Steering to definitive edition status.

Amagon

WYh5j7v.png

The SNES version allowed any of the pilots to use any plane, added more planes and weapons as a consequence, gave each character more of a specific playstyle, changed up all of the levels, and some other junk. You give up co-op, but that's a small price to pay.

Random question, but was their a name of the Icon that is being used for the selection screen that is found in this game and a couple other Capcom games?

Freddo

I think several arcade games back in the late 80s were better on the Amiga computer.

For example, both Pang! and Rodland are better on the Amiga, more colourful and better music.

Glowsquid

Random question, but was their a name of the Icon that is being used for the selection screen that is found in this game and a couple other Capcom games?

It's the "mobilsuit" player mech from Side Arms

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyper_Dyne_Side_Arms

A "chibi" version of the player's Mobilsuit, called "Mobichan", appears in the game as a power-up item that gives the player an extra life. Mobichan has appeared in many console games released by Capcom during the early 1990s as a mode select cursor such as in the Super Nintendo Entertainment System version of the original Street Fighter II.

RowdyReverb

The first Contra for NES.

Arcade:

AYli5On.png

NES:

Pi1hI1L.gif

Though the Arcade version looks better on a technical level, the artstyle is incredible ugly, but more importantly, the NES version has much tighter controls and level design, and all the stages were extended.

The second game's stages were extended for the NES port as well, you even got a new final boss, though in that game I kinda prefer the Arcade version.
Definitely. The arcade version feels so clunky and loose by comparison, and it's not as easy to read the onscreen action

Top Bottom