• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Television Displays and Technology Thread: This is a fantasy based on OLED

Klotera

I'm going for the Sony 900E this weekend but my only fear is missing the Dolby Vision option that's available in the 930E.

I see the new Chromecast will use it...will I regret this decision in a few months/years? I don't plan on buying a new TV for the foreseeable future.

You should be fine. Most everything will support HDR10. There's too many TVs that are HDR10-only to ignore. Plus, UHD Blu-ray requires HDR10 to be included if the disc will have HDR. Right now, only Vudu doesn't support HDR10 and they plan to add support.

Mrbob

I think having Dolby Vision support is a good thing but it seems like Dolby Vision and HDR10+ will end up being complimentary to HDR10. Though if I have a chance to watch something in DV I'll do that.

You should be fine. Most everything will support HDR10. There's too many TVs that are HDR10-only to ignore. Plus, UHD Blu-ray requires HDR10 to be included if the disc will have HDR. Right now, only Vudu doesn't support HDR10 and they plan to add support.

Whenever PC HDR rolls around too it looks like all PC HDR monitors will be HDR10 as well since it seems HDR10 is going to be the PC standard. Another feather towards HDR10 being a standard over everything else.

The biggest upcoming improvement for gaming is HDMI 2.1 adding variable refresh rate support. Supposedly, the Xbox One X will support it. The next generation of consoles almost certainly will.

If you have a regular PS4, you'd still be able to get HDR at HD resolutions, at least.

Xbox One X is only going to support HDMI 2.0b, so the VRR will be limited to 4k60 and will be based on AMDs Freesync. Not sure how this will stack with regular TVs. Will work with some Freesync monitors though. Curious to see if MS has a revision fall 2018 with HDMI 2.1, so it might be prudent to wait on buying XB1X until 2018. Though I'm targeting 2020 as the year to replace my TV with HDMI 2.1 set as by this point I think all the HDMI 2.1 issues will be fixed, and hopefully HDR will be improved by a decent amount.

BumRush

Care to elaborate a bit on your before/after experiences?

What specifically improved for you? What mode did you calibrate in (ISF Dark, light etc)?

I have a 2010 Panasonic Plasma, so not aboard the 4K HDR train just yet (and honestly, after calibrating, I don't feel the need to immediately).

The 2 biggest things I'd say improved post-Spears and Munsil are color accuracy and contrast.

Color Accuracy - guessing at this is hard. I was always a "warm 2" guy, but with color tweaks, "cool 1" now looks so much more realistic and vibrant

Contrast - My living room gets pretty dark (aside from bias lighting behind the set) and now it has just the right brightness while still having BLACK blacks.

I can post pics if anyone is interested

Devil

I have a 2010 Panasonic Plasma, so not aboard the 4K HDR train just yet (and honestly, after calibrating, I don't feel the need to immediately).

The 2 biggest things I'd say improved post-Spears and Munsil are color accuracy and contrast.

Color Accuracy - guessing at this is hard. I was always a "warm 2" guy, but with color tweaks, "cool 1" now looks so much more realistic and vibrant

Contrast - My living room gets pretty dark (aside from bias lighting behind the set) and now it has just the right brightness while still having BLACK blacks.

I have a 2010 Panasonic Plasma as well and am interested in how exactly you recalibrated it. Professionally? With a paid software? Or just from the systems menu? I'm not very educated on this stuff.

I still like my Plasma but I noticed how blacks got a little lighter and it overall looks a little more LCD-ish (but with great uniformity). I'll upgrade within the next 1-2 years since it has gotten a little small anyway but if I could improve my viewing until then without much hassle I'd conaider it.

BumRush

I have a 2010 Panasonic Plasma as well and am interested in how exactly you recalibrated it. Professionally? With a paid software? Or just from the systems menu? I'm not very educated on this stuff.

I still like my Plasma but I noticed how blacks got a little lighter and it overall looks a little more LCD-ish (but with great uniformity). I'll upgrade within the next 1-2 years since it has gotten a little small anyway but if I could improve my viewing until then without much hassle I'd conaider it.

With the Spears & Munsil 2nd Edition Blu-Ray (grab it on Amazon for $30 new). It's a pretty self-explanatory process. Let me know if you get it...I can walk you through what I did.

DrSlek

Our 8 year old TV started cutting sound out of the HDMI ports intermittently. So yesterday we bought a new Bravia 55" X8500E. It's quite an impressive TV, even without OLEDs.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Anyone want to help a guy living in Japan out? I need an affordable 4K HDR screen. Could I possibly use a monitor instead? My apartment is tiny, so I don't need a big TV.
Anyone...? Should I ask in the Japan life thread?

ITSMILNER

I'm looking to pick up a Sony Bravia full 40" 1080p HD with HDR for my bedroom, I will be connecting my PS4 Pro and Nintendo Switch to it.

Will I see benefits off this set as it has the HDR features? This is the TV in question http://www.argos.co.uk/product/6873011

My budget is about £450 so I don't think it's worth buying a 4K TV at that price as it won't be much benefit right now.

TheBoss1

Anyone...? Should I ask in the Japan life thread?

It will be tough to get an answer in here since I don't think I've ever seen anyone from Japan in here.

And what is affordable to you?

I'm looking to pick up a Sony Bravia full 40" 1080p HD with HDR for my bedroom, I will be connecting my PS4 Pro and Nintendo Switch to it.

Will I see benefits off this set as it has the HDR features? This is the TV in question http://www.argos.co.uk/product/6873011

My budget is about £450 so I don't think it's worth buying a 4K TV at that price as it won't be much benefit right now.

Hardly. It's barely better than any other non-HDR set. You won't find any good HDR TVs at that price range. I understand you have a tight budget so I would just go ahead and get that if you needed a TV asap. If you can wait, save up more and good HDR TV.

FoxSpirit

I wanna say, the C/ is great , even in 1080p/SDR mode.

Plus damn, motion clarity is really high on this, even without a pulsed backlight/120Hz feed.

Checks own keyboard and sees the "/" above the "7".
Yes, he definitely means the C7. :D
I have ordered the 65C7 myself for 2.900€. Price really went down.

I wanna say, the C/ is great , even in 1080p/SDR mode.

Plus damn, motion clarity is really high on this, even without a pulsed backlight/120Hz feed.

Glad to hear this! Have already decided, 65c7, is my tv for the next 3-4 years. Feels like in 2012 when I bought my Panasonic VT50. It just feels so right and the competition is way behind.
Now I'm waiting for the price drops in September-november 😉

MazeHaze

Banned
Glad to hear this! Have already decided, 65c7, is my tv for the next 3-4 years. Feels like in 2012 when I bought my Panasonic VT50. It just feels so right and the competition is way behind.
Now I'm waiting for the price drops in September-november 😉
I have the B7 which is basically the same and its the best tv ive ever seen. Coming from the much hyped KS8000 (also a great set)

aravuus

I have the B7 which is basically the same and its the best tv ive ever seen. Coming from the much hyped KS8000 (also a great set)

Replaying older games I've loved on the B7 has been a goddamn pleasure, such a different experience from the mediocre 720p/1080p LCD TVs I've had before. Very happy with this TV.

This is going to sound like a hyuk-hyuk-hyuk tier knee slapper, but the worst thing about it so far aside from the fact that it isn't that bright, is that I've gotten so used to the BLACK blacks that I have a hard time playing darker games on my monitor now lol. Darker areas having this shimmering greyness to them looks so bad.

ITSMILNER

Hardly. It's barely better than any other non-HDR set. You won't find any good HDR TVs at that price range. I understand you have a tight budget so I would just go ahead and get that if you needed a TV asap. If you can wait, save up more and good HDR TV.

Damn, would there not be a difference between say a standard full HD 1080p TV image and this Sony Bravia one then?

Trying to convince parents/myself to upgrade to a decent ish 4k hdr tv. I have a low end 2010 Samsung , the TV they have is a 10 year old Panasonic lcd. In terms of brightness and other stuff how much difference would there be?

TheBoss1

Damn, would there not be a difference between say a standard full HD 1080p TV image and this Sony Bravia one then?

I'm not sure if the Sony HDR TV has a wide color gamut but if it doesn't, coupled with the low brightness, you won't see much of a difference.

BumRush

Trying to convince parents/myself to upgrade to a decent ish 4k hdr tv. I have a low end 2010 Samsung , the TV they have is a 10 year old Panasonic lcd. In terms of brightness and other stuff how much difference would there be?

Honestly, it all comes down to what model you buy...but if you're coming from 2 lowish end 7+ year old TVs to a mid-higher end 4K, it'll be night and day

LG B6 owner here. Someone tell me how to turn on HDR mode so I can play Uncharted? Thanks. There's like two modes of it, do I need to change to settings or can I turn it on in my gaming settings? I'm confused and haven't used it before, when I did I thought it looked rubbish! Can't really find anything definitive 😨 I clearly need it breaking down easy!

Kyoufu

LG B6 owner here. Someone tell me how to turn on HDR mode so I can play Uncharted? Thanks. There's like two modes of it, do I need to change to settings or can I turn it on in my gaming settings? I'm confused and haven't used it before, when I did I thought it looked rubbish! Can't really find anything definitive 😨 I clearly need it breaking down easy!

Turn on HDMI Deep Colour in your TV settings. Should be in the General menu at the bottom.

Turn on HDMI Deep Colour in your TV settings. Should be in the General menu at the bottom.

Great stuff cheers! Just turned it on. Time for new Uncharted! Looking at this blowing my socks off hopefully! From my dashboard looks like the darks are darker and the bright stuff is sharper...good combo to me.

RedAssedApe

Banned
I would say the FALD is worth it imo

He's talking the $50 difference between the $550 C803 and $600 P605 not the P607

Is he? The 605 is $600 and the 607 is $650. Anyhow I think the C803 is the Costco version of the C807 on Amazon. And the difference once again is the remotes.

I wouldn't pick the C series over the P series for any reason even if its slightly cheaper.

Having a scare here though.

My Xbox and Switch signal come in just fine but my PS4 Pro (plugged into HDMI 3) is going nuts. Pictures blacks out, comes back and green horizontal lines pop up.

Any ideas anyone?

Curious why you made the jump. The UT50 has a great picture! Just time for an upgrade? Gaming in 4K?

Correct.

JG5253

Is he? The 605 is $600 and the 607 is $650. Anyhow I think the C803 is the Costco version of the C807 on Amazon. And the difference once again is the remotes.

I wouldn't pick the C series over the P series for any reason even if its slightly cheaper.

My mistake. He actually is talking about the 607

Honestly, it all comes down to what model you buy...but if you're coming from 2 lowish end 7+ year old TVs to a mid-higher end 4K, it'll be night and day
Interesting, I'll be starting a job next year (I'm a student) so may be worth waiting.. Plus I want to be able to afford oled.. And LG will be using their new panels right?

I was of the mind to replace my KS8000 with the C7, but decided to hold off for HDMI 2.1.

What I would like to know is if the Game Mode VRR is backwards compatible with older than HDMI versions. Say my PS3 and PS4 has less or higher than the 2 standard fps rates, will the HDMI 2.1 TV be able to detect that and smooth the experience?

What model Panasonic Plasma do you have? Is it the 30, 50, or 60 series?

Could you post settings? I have a TC-P60VT60 which has a ton of customization options but I've also owned an P55ST30 which had much less options. Don't think the lower end 30 series had white point balance sliders.

pottuvoi

Banned
I was of the mind to replace my KS8000 with the C7, but decided to hold off for HDMI 2.1.

What I would like to know is if the Game Mode VRR is backwards compatible with older than HDMI versions. Say my PS3 and PS4 has less or higher than the 2 standard fps rates, will the HDMI 2.1 TV be able to detect that and smooth the experience?
Freesync etc need enabled support from GPUs, so without capable hardware and a software patch it is not happening.

Top Bottom