• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Observer |OT| Blade Walker

Flousn

Is there a final verdict on the length? The reviews mention everything from 4 to 10 hours.
I am really interested in the game but 30€ for a short game seem a bit much.

Diancecht

Is there a final verdict on the length? The reviews mention everything from 4 to 10 hours.
I am really interested in the game but 30€ for a short game seem a bit much.

6 to 8 hours I'd say.

Bloober Team improved themselves immensely since Layers of Fear. Fantastic story telling and one of the best cyberpunk worlds I've ever seen. Well fucking done.

TitusTroy

I knew nothing about this game until I just saw ACG put up a review. Sci-Fi? Horror? I'm all over this!! I love when great games come out of nowhere.

I can't decide between this or Senua's Sacrifice...seems like Senua has the better graphics and audio while Observer has the better gameplay

pakkit

Banned
I can't decide between this or Senua's Sacrifice...seems like Senua has the better graphics and audio while Observer has the better gameplay

It's tough. They're both great and psychologically draining but play out in pretty different ways.

If you prefer SOMA/enjoy walking sims, I'd recommend Observer.

If you prefer Tomb Raider/enjoy action games, I'd recommend Senua.

Got to my first "hide from the monster" sequence. It's pretty light, and I consider myself one of those players that avoids this type of gameplay. The game is much more about the atmosphere, and as far as nailing noirish, cyberpunk, body horror elements, Observer is doing great so far. The dream eater sequences are a key highlight, taking a lot of the raw innovation I've seen in itch.io art games and putting them in a larger context so that the dreaminess benefits a larger narrative.

Exentryk

This game is absolutely gorgeous! And the wtf moments are really awesome to experience.
I'm enjoying Observer so much that I ended up buying Layers of Fear game, which is the previous one from these devs.

CharmingCoarseGalapagospenguin.gif

aravuus

Looks like the game's pretty dark? Definitely getting it on the PS4 then (OLED tv), when I get paid. Pro performance is fine?

Exentryk

Dunno about the PS4 Pro, but it's running at 60fps at 1440p on a GTX 980. So, Pro should be able to hit 60fps at 1080p.

What's the framerate on PS Pro

Played it yesterday for about an hour on PS Pro. There are no Pro options to choose from so I don't know if it's enhanced on the Pro.
I think it uses the Unreal engine. But even then the framerate sucks, framedrops everywhere (but no screen tearing, thank god).

Fortunatly, it's a slow game so the bad framerate is not a deal breaker as the graphics and mood are good.

Maximo

I actually really liked Layers Of Fear despite some people not enjoying it I thought the game was super creative in how it messed with your perception and always changed its tactics. Didn't know they this made this game but after playing it for about 3 hours...yeah its no wonder so far its been a complete mind fuck loving it.

Gaplanet

Lots of FPS problems on Xbox One, hope they can upgrade the performance at least a bit somehow. Otherwise, really interesting game after playing 2-3 hours.

aravuus

Played it yesterday for about an hour on PS Pro. There are no Pro options to choose from so I don't know if it's enhanced on the Pro.
I think it uses the Unreal engine. But even then the framerate sucks, framedrops everywhere (but no screen tearing, thank god).

Fortunatly, it's a slow game so the bad framerate is not a deal breaker as the graphics and mood are good.

Uh, weird. So it's either good framerate at 1440p on PC but on a LED monitor, or wonky framerate at 1080p but on a big OLED tv.

This is kind of a hard decision, actually. Well, maybe they'll put out some performance patches soon. Not buying it right now anyway.

Exentryk

Uh, weird. So it's either good framerate at 1440p on PC but on a LED monitor, or wonky framerate at 1080p but on a big OLED tv.

This is kind of a hard decision, actually. Well, maybe they'll put out some performance patches soon. Not buying it right now anyway.

Connect your PC to your TV (if possible). That's what I'm doing anyway.

Qiot

Neo Member
This looks right up my alley, but I know I'm going to get sore eyes and headaches from such strong use of Chromatic Aberration.

Are there any toggles to switch if off or tone it down at all?

DukeBobby

The framerate plummets for a few seconds every time you walk through a door in the PS4 version.

It's rather annoying. Hopefully, they can patch it.

Djostikk

Just started playing. Loving it so far, gorgeous visuals and thick atmosphere of unsound cyberpunk. Looking for every nook and cranny for some interesting stuff.

simtmb

Great game thus far, but I probably should of bought it on PC instead as it runs terrible on PS4 Pro, quite inconsistent. Opted console only due to my TV setup etc. Won't again.

Paragon

I almost hope someone would have patented the emulation of CA in video games to avoid usage like this...
You can get rid of the chromatic aberration on PC with some config tweaks, and it doesn't seem to interfere with the game's other post-processing.

Great game thus far, but I probably should of bought it on PC instead as it runs terrible on PS4 Pro, quite inconsistent. Opted console only due to my TV setup etc. Won't again.
It's a demanding game on PC too, but a lot of that depends what resolution you're running, what hardware you have, and you can always turn the settings down so that it runs better.
I'm surprised at how many people here are having to decide between PS4+TV or PC+Monitor.
If that was an issue for me, I would have set up a long HDMI cable, moved the PC, or bought a streaming device like a Steam Link.

Just refunded senuas sacrifice. Personally, was bored with the samey(and fairly annoying) puzzle/ gameplay loop. Was going to pick up this instead

Played a bunch of this last night, loving the cyberpunk world. Some scary stuff in there too. In general, I just love detective games so this is right up my alley.

I have to say, I'm not usually bothered by framerate issues, but this game has some really substantial drops, and i'm on Pro.

Exentryk

^ All good.

I'm making slow progress. Basically, I completed the first
neural-interrogation, and now have to go look for that woman in the tattoo shop. But I decided to go do side quests and explore the whole building first. Currently on the second floor and looking through the human doctor's house.
Not finding anything else in here, so maybe it's tied to the main quest? Not sure. Might have to go continue the main quest.

Djostikk

What reference? I played through the game, but I either didn't find it or it went over my head.

There's an apartment in second floor with keypad, hack it, rest of the code can be found in the same floor on broken tablet. Entire apartment is set of similar rooms with spooky things happening akin to P.T. Pretty cool visual and sound effects. Really miss P.T. now ;(

Gaplanet

What reference? I played through the game, but I either didn't find it or it went over my head.

I don't remember the floor or the number of the hallway but upstairs from the first building with countless of tenant rooms there is a locked door with a duck sticker on it and you need a password to access the room. The password
is written on a tablet-kind of electric device in a room of the same hallway. Behind the tablet is another duck sticker. The password was somethinig like '3690'.
. When you get access to the room you can't miss the reference.

Edit: Aaand beaten

tesqui

There's an apartment in second floor with keypad, hack it, rest of the code can be found in the same floor on broken tablet. Entire apartment is set of similar rooms with spooky things happening akin to P.T. Pretty cool visual and sound effects. Really miss P.T. now ;(

I don't remember the floor or the number of the hallway but upstairs from the first building with countless of tenant rooms there is a locked door with a duck sticker on it and you need a password to access the room. The password
is written on a tablet-kind of electric device in a room of the same hallway. Behind the tablet is another duck sticker. The password was somethinig like '3690'.
. When you get access to the room you can't miss the reference.

Edit: Aaand beaten

That actually sounds pretty cool! I might have to replay it a bit to see this. I missed a good amount of side content on my playthrough.

nOoblet16

Just started on PC, I'm not sure how much supersampling the "Uber" setting does but I seem to hit 60FPS except for when it stutters and it does stutter a lot when doing that. I have a GTX 1080.

Also the lead guy's voice, I kind of like it and also like that he is old and not in a grizzled military way. But his delivery is often very slippy.

pakkit

Banned
Just finished in about 8 hours. Judging by the achievements and from some of the easter eggs mentioned in this thread, there's plenty I missed for a second playthrough (a few side missions, some collectibles, and an entire minigame(???) that I never found).

Really, really enjoyed it. It's a worthy follow up to those have been waiting for something akin to SOMA. I was worried about the stealth elements, but they're really easy and the game gives you plenty of notice when the monster is approaching.

I think Bloober Team nailed the ending. I agree that the performances were kind of off-kilter the whole time, but having just seen Blade Runner, I think off-kilter performances are pretty standard for the cyberpunk genre.

Bloober Team has done an impressive job making a game that is clearly referential (seriously, if you're looking for references you'll see them all over the place), but still makes a nice cyberpunk tale all its own. Just like SOMA, the ending left me kind of sick, wondering if I had done the right thing, and making me wonder if there is such a thing as the "right choice" when humanity and cybernetics have been so thoroughly infused.

I think the main criticism I would have is that the game can get a bit too corridor heavy for its own good. Generally, Bloober Team has done a great job creating a sense of pace, and I think they've really done themselves a favor in setting the majority of the game in an apartment complex, so that the player can get a real sense of progression, as well as truly learn the layout of the building (so that when the inevitable inversions and house of mirrors tricks come into play, it really does mess with your sense of place).

One of my Games of the Year for sure. There's plenty more I'd love to say but I don't wanna have this post look like a redacted CIA document.

Dunno about the PS4 Pro, but it's running at 60fps at 1440p on a GTX 980. So, Pro should be able to hit 60fps at 1080p.

I have the same gpu and im running at the same resolution. The fps is jumping around from as low as 20fps to 60fps.

Running at these settings: (Spoiler for screenshots about 90 min into the game)

E6D604A410986A7EC06E5EBA5CC09D6C243D3950

37C856C3F119E6A0EAD8103857E4E0ADEAB74335

Djostikk

Just finished in about 8 hours. Judging by the achievements and from some of the easter eggs mentioned in this thread, there's plenty I missed for a second playthrough (a few side missions, some collectibles, and an entire minigame(???) that I never found).

Really, really enjoyed it. It's a worthy follow up to those have been waiting for something akin to SOMA. I was worried about the stealth elements, but they're really easy and the game gives you plenty of notice when the monster is approaching.

I think Bloober Team nailed the ending. I agree that the performances were kind of off-kilter the whole time, but having just seen Blade Runner, I think off-kilter performances are pretty standard for the cyberpunk genre.

Bloober Team has done an impressive job making a game that is clearly referential (seriously, if you're looking for references you'll see them all over the place), but still makes a nice cyberpunk tale all its own. Just like SOMA, the ending left me kind of sick, wondering if I had done the right thing, and making me wonder if there is such a thing as the "right choice" when humanity and cybernetics have been so thoroughly infused.

I think the main criticism I would have is that the game can get a bit too corridor heavy for its own good. Generally, Bloober Team has done a great job creating a sense of pace, and I think they've really done themselves a favor in setting the majority of the game in an apartment complex, so that the player can get a real sense of progression, as well as truly learn the layout of the building (so that when the inevitable inversions and house of mirrors tricks come into play, it really does mess with your sense of place).

One of my Games of the Year for sure. There's plenty more I'd love to say but I don't wanna have this post look like a redacted CIA document.

Great post on a great game.

DukeBobby

I think I might wait for a patch before I carry on with the PS4 version.

The performance issues are killing it for me so far.

I really can't tell what genre this is by the brief footage and writing I've seen.

Is this a "walking sim"?

Game Informer's review said Action.

simtmb

It's a demanding game on PC too, but a lot of that depends what resolution you're running, what hardware you have, and you can always turn the settings down so that it runs better.
I'm surprised at how many people here are having to decide between PS4+TV or PC+Monitor.
If that was an issue for me, I would have set up a long HDMI cable, moved the PC, or bought a streaming device like a Steam Link.

Yeah, bit silly on my end as I have a Steam Link sitting around unused lol. My PC would handle this easy, so I'll get around to setting it up later and may double dip.

pakkit

Banned
I really can't tell what genre this is by the brief footage and writing I've seen.

Is this a "walking sim"?

Game Informer's review said Action.

I guess it counts as a "walking sim," but it's one of the most gameplay-heavy walking sims I've played (and I've played a lot of walking sims). It's kinda like SOMA meets Deus Ex's apartment raiding/snooping with some light puzzle elements and a whole lot of psychological horror.

Just beat the game. Really bizarre and satisfying experience that relied a bit too much on jump scares and had a mildly unsatisfying ending. SOMA covered most of this game's subject matter more effectively, though I did love a lot of the "distortion" effects in the more surreal sections.

Like plenty of other horror games, my main criticism is that I didn't find any of the imagery or antagonists genuinely scary. It was all startling, more than truly terrifying. A titanic improvement over Layers of Fear though.

kaiju

Just beat it as well, and much in agreement with your Observer experience.

Best thing I can say about Observer is that I was thoroughly entertained throughout the game. I love exploring in games, and the cyberpunk atmosphere was top notch. I'm glad I brushed up on the lore beforehand, which greatly added to my experience.

Stuff like:

"Why is this person hooked up to a machine. Oh, she must be trancing."

"Hmm, there is a bottle of 45f in this guy's fridge. He's hooked on Feed."

"Whoa, am I in a memory shard?"

Definitely one of my favorite games of the year, and looking forward to that second playthrough.

Top Bottom