• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlatinumGames uploads videos of Bayonetta for development retrospective page

Principate

Saint Titanfall
bayo 1 did 1.2 mln if i remember..plus the 100k sold on steam in the last weeks

not a success,not a "didn't sell well" either

to put it in perspective,bayo 1 didn't went too far from dmc4's numbers..and that was an established franchise on 2 consoles...bayo 1 was also on 2 consoles but one was an horrible port.

It didn't sell well enough which is a fact otherwise Sega themselves would have made the sequel.

Grief.exe

It seems so obvious for them to make Rising 2. Other than ports or remakes of the mainline games, it's one of the few solid ways they can keep making Metal Gear without completely pissing off the super fans. And with Platinum, it's surely going to be a pretty good production. Although Scalebound did happen so I don't know.

Both MGR2 and Legacy Collection ports to PC/PS4/XBO would have been relatively low risk and high margin releases that I'm surprised Konami haven't jumped on.

It's not surprising to see AAA publishers pull back as the console market stagnates over the next decade, but these seem like guaranteed profitability.

You know, i had a bad day. Work sucked, commute sucked, was tired. But that vanquish tease and that glimmer of hope of more bayo (unlikely but just the thought of it) made it all go away. Today was a good day.

LordKano

Bayo broke the million with almost all its copies being sold in bargain bins. It did not sell well at all. There's a reason SEGA cancelled B2's funding.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Hope it's Switch exclusive just to see the reaction again. People went crazy over Bayo 2 on Wii U. It was insane.

yet if its not on switch there will be a thousand posts

BOY I SURE WISH THIS WAS ON SWITCH
HM WHAT A WEIRD CHOICE OF PLATFORMS
ID LOVE TO HAVE THIS ON THE GO

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Bayo broke the million with almost all its copies being sold in bargain bins. It did not sell well at all.

Bayonetta 1 was bundled with Vanquish (and it was awesome).

yet if its not on switch there will be a thousand posts

BOY I SURE WISH THIS WAS ON SWITCH
HM WHAT A WEIRD CHOICE OF PLATFORMS
ID LOVE TO HAVE THIS ON THE GO

So what your saying is there would be salt either way.

robotrock

Banned
Both MGR2 and Legacy Collection ports to PC/PS4/XBO would have been relatively low risk and high margin releases that I'm surprised Konami haven't jumped on.

It's not surprising to see AAA publishers pull back as the console market stagnates over the next decade, but these seem like guaranteed profitability.

For sure, and I absolutely have no idea what they are waiting on. Maybe they're waiting for the Kojima situation to cool down but that seems pointless. I don't even think the 360 HD Collection is BC on Xbone yet

I don't think it's decided how much of Bayo 2 Nintendo holds rights to, but they could easily use assets from Bayo 1 is that was the case.

I'm doubtful Nintendo would be involved with Bayonetta 3, but it's possible. The Bayo 1 port to PC shows Sega is clearly ready to invest in the series again

I don't mean from a rights point of view i mean more from an asset quality point of view

Majukun

I guess this is the reason the game sequel was greenlighted so quick and without much hassle... wait.

that's because that was the era where if a game didn't sell 4 mln copies it was deemed "not worth investing"
also bayo 2 was canceled together with a plethora of other sega games when the company was restructured because it was bleeding money, and thy decided to focus on a few profitable franchises (football manager,sonic,total war)
so it wasn't specifically a bayo problem,otherwise the game wouldn't even made it to pre-production.
It didn't sell well enough which is a fact otherwise Sega themselves would have made the sequel.

sega was ideed making the sequel,but then stopped funding it together with a lot more titles that got the axe in the same period.

sinonobu

Banned
I think it will be Nintendo published again.

Nintendo loves having these core audience targeted third party games. Look at Fatal Frame series.

Markoman

Bayonetta 3 will be funded by Capcom - Title: Witches Don't Cry featuring Jeanne as the main protagonist. So it's DMC5 and Bayonetta 3 combined...Zeta-Hype-Level and instant ejaculation

Principate

Saint Titanfall
that's because that was the era where if a game didn't sell 4 mln copies it was deemed "not worth investing"
also bayo 2 was canceled together with a plethora of other sega games when the company was restructured because it was bleeding money, and thy decided to focus on a few profitable franchises (football manager,sonic,total war)
so it wasn't specifically a bayo problem,otherwise the game wouldn't even made it to pre-production.

sega was ideed making the sequel,but then stopped funding it together with a lot more titles that got the axe in the same period.

Indeed which is why it was put on indefinite hold and why the allowed Nintendo to fund the game because they had no plans of doing anything with it.

Jb

I think it will be Nintendo published again.

Nintendo loves having these core audience targeted third party games. Look at Fatal Frame series.

I would hope the initial success of the Switch emboldens them to finance fairly big projects like a Bayo 3.

In conclusion Sega didn't see a reason to fund it in the end and Nintendo did. Glad we came full circle that Bayo 1 didn't do good to deserve a sequel from Sega.

Majukun

What

DMC4 basically doubled Bayo 1s numbers in it's launch year. That game sold like 4 times the amount of copies that Bayo 1 did.

i'm goging completely by memory really,but as far as i remember dmc 4 sold something like 1.7/1.8 mln copies on 2 consoles

that's the reason why capcom made DmC..the franchise was healthy but wasn't making incredible numbers

but it's totally possible i'm mixing stuff up,like i'm saying,i'm going on memory alone and we are talking about almost 10 years ago for dmc4 and 8 years ago for bayo 1

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Man if P+ announces Bayonetta 3, this really will be their year.

Nier Automata (possibly their best selling title ever if it dethrones MGR)
Bayonetta PC - definitive edition
Vanquish PC - definitive edition
Bayonetta 3? Lets go baybee!

jonno394

i'm goging completely by memory really,but as far as i remember dmc 4 sold something like 1.7/1.8 mln copies on 2 consoles

that's the reason why capcom made DmC..the franchise was healthy but wasn't making incredible numbers

but it's totally possible i'm mixing stuff up,like i'm saying,i'm going on memory alone and we are talking about almost 10 years ago for dmc4 and 8 years ago for bayo 1

According to wiki DMC 4 sold over 3 million and that's before the recent ports.

Grief.exe

Man if P+ announces Bayonetta 3, this really will be their year.

Nier Automata (possibly their best selling title ever if it dethrones MGR)
Bayonetta PC - definitive edition
Vanquish PC - definitive edition
Bayonetta 3? Lets go baybee!

"Contact doctor immediately if erection lasts more than 5 hours."

BadWolf

DMC4 sold 3 million after 8 years on PS3/360/PC.

It definitely did not sell 4 times what Bayonetta did.

Majukun

In conclusion Sega didn't see a reason to fund it in the end and Nintendo did. Glad we came full circle that Bayo 1 didn't do good to deserve a sequel from Sega.

again,pre summy intervention sega was going to make the game as far as we know.

sega after summy intervention was not willing to do it

present sega?i don't really know what is their stance in terms of publishing games at the moment..but since bayo 2 bombed,they are as likely as nintendo to fund the sequel, since there's no way that nintendo considers bayo2's number acceptable

N.Grim

Bayonetta 2 was at <135,000 in December, it sold 10,000 in January (thus, < 145,000) and now it's at 157,000. This means it sold >12,000. Including first month's digital sales (10% of debut), it's at around 164,000 units sold (it's actually slightly higher, since I'm incuding just first month digital sales, but the max is 170,000 IMHO). In 6 months, it did outsell what Bayonetta 1 sold on PS3 in 18 months (150,000), and now it's going for what it sold on 360 in 18 months.
It doesn't seem that bad compared to what some of you are saying

sinonobu

Banned

present sega?i don't really know what is their stance in terms of publishing games at the moment..but since bayo 2 bombed,they are as likely as nintendo to fund the sequel, since there's no way that nintendo considers bayo2's number acceptable

Fatal Frame never sold well on Nintendo platform (even worse than bayo) but they funded them. Nintnedo loves having these core titles on their platform.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.

Im pretty sure that 3 million doesnt include the Special Edition sales either.

The reboot DmC did 1.9 million which is laughable because the whole reason Capcom wanted a reboot was because they werent happy with DMC4 sales.

Capcom isnt too different from Konami. A treasure trove of valuable ips with some of the worst decision making in the industry.

If I was in charge Id get them to revive their old arcade and sidescrollers like Megaman, Captain Commando and Ghouls n Goblins as $20 digital titles.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
It doesn't seem that bad compared to what some of you are saying

Nintendo didn't overship Bayonetta 2 and the smash announcement probably increased awareness. A max very, very generous estimation would be 500k worldwide-ish.

Five years of development. Less than 200k in its first six months.

What are you talking about because Bayonetta 2 wasn't developed for 5 years or anything near that. More like 2 years full development 3 if we're generous. and Nintendo didn't even fund all that.

DMONKUMA

Honestly most insane thing more than Bayo 3 would be a Spiritual successor to Scalebound. Then again...who would fund it?

Majukun

i was wrong then,or maybe i just remembered the sales for only one consoles instead of 2,since i remembered more or less half that,my bad

still,my point was that bayo 1 's 1.2 mln were not amazing but definitely were not a flop,especially for a new franchise that wasn't a sony exclusive

Do we actually know what Nintendo's expectations were or what it ended up selling? With the reprint, Smash DLC, Amiibo, and the fact that Nintendo may see value in funding these type of games that they don't traditionally make, I don't think we can say how Nintendo viewed it. Has there been comments that Nintendo had higher expectations or was disappointed in sales?

Edit: In the end I could care less as long as it comes but I don't think we can say one way or another what platforms it's likely to appear on.

Bronetta

Nintendo didn't overship Bayonetta 2 and the smash announcement probably increased awareness. A max very, very generous estimation would be 500k worldwide-ish.

I mean Fire Emblem was on the verge of death before Awakening turned it around and now its one of their biggest ips with multiple Fire Emblem games in the pipeline.

Its easier to just give up and bury another promising ip with potential but it takes time and effort to grow a series.

Edit: With her inclusion in Smash and amiibo on the way I dont think Nintendo is quite done with Bayonetta just yet.

LordKano

What are you talking about because Bayonetta 2 wasn't developed for 5 years or anything near that. More like 2 years full development 3 if we're generous. and Nintendo didn't even fund all that.

http://nintendoeverything.com/kamiy...roubled-fate-and-how-nintendo-saved-the-game/

As for Bayonetta, we developed the game after signing a deal with SEGA. Later it was decided to also develop the sequel, so we started working on Bayonetta 2.

When development had progressed to a certain degree, in SEGA’s situation it turned into “This isn’t a good plan”, so development halted temporarily.

Without funding we didn’t have the possibility to continue development, but we wanted to get this partially developed Bayonetta 2 available to the public one way or another. So we offered it to various publishers, but as it is a big title, we couldn’t find a partner company. Finally, Bayonetta 2 was about to get terminated completely, when…

Nintendo came in and lent a hand and we were able to restart the development we so desired. Finally the game was released last week, so in five years, we were able to make Bayonetta 2 available to the public.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Do we actually know what Nintendo's expectations were or what it ended up selling? With the reprint, Smash DLC, Amiibo, and the fact that Nintendo may see value in funding these type of games that they don't traditionally make, I don't think we can say how Nintendo viewed it. Has there been comments that Nintendo had higher expectations or was disappointed in sales?

Edit: In the end I could care less as long as it comes but I don't think we can say one way or another what platforms it's likely to appear on.

Nintendo likes critically acclaimed games so that's it's strongest selling point in regards to Nintendo. They have no problem funding niche games.

TreIII

Honestly most insane thing more than Bayo 3 would be a Spiritual successor to Scalebound. Then again...who would find it?

Scalebound, as a concept, is probably (sadly) extinct. At least for several more years.

At best, I'm hoping that Kamiya may take some ideas from that and stick on the backburner until the time is right. Hopefully, in a better realized form.

In the meanwhile, hopefully, he's had time to bounce back and prop up more ideas for other games. The times ain't been the same without another dosage of Kamiya's craziness in a game.

Ridley327

Nintendo usually doesn't talk much about sales expectations for their titles. I think the little blurb from last year about how BotW only needed to sell 2 million to be profitable is about as detailed as they've ever gotten.

Adaren

The raw sales data of Bayo2 isn't the whole story. You also have to factor in how many Wii U consoles were bought because of Bayo2/W101, and how many of those Platinum fans then went on to pick up additional Wii U software.

Nintendo has that data; we don't. But given that she's been included in Smash Bros (which is probably also coming to the Switch), and Nintendo is known for funding sequels despite meager sales data, and we know that Platinum is doing something for the Switch, I don't doubt that Nintendo is/was bidding for Bayo3.

Maybe they didn't get it, but I'm confident that they want it.

Top Bottom