• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT+2| Why Can't We Poise the Game?

Practically every weapon is perfectly servicable in the game from start to finish. That's how the Souls games are built - As long as you have the stats for it and are upgrading the weapon and leveling up the stats that it scales with - any weapon can take you all the way.

Experien

PVP is my least favorite part of these games. I am terribly disappointed that I can't get a Platinum because of that (what I think is) small part of the game.

Chitown B

Didn't know they were all farmable, thought only one was. 1-2% chance based on a 100 Luck skill is not for me.

it'll take awhile. but you can do it. if you care about the platinum just throw on a podcast and farm. All covenant items can be farmed.

wear the gold serpent ring, symbol of avarice, and pop a rusted coin. That adds a bunch of item find.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
it'll take awhile. but you can do it. if you care about the platinum just throw on a podcast and farm. All covenant items can be farmed.

wear the gold serpent ring, symbol of avarice, and pop a rusted coin. That adds a bunch of item find.
Don't forget to wear the Crystal Sage Rapier on your off hand. You can two-hand your main weapon and the rapier will still give its item discovery boost.

Do you think it's possible for someone to beat the game with the original, default longsword you get as a knight at the start of the game? (Provided that you upgrade it at the blacksmith.)

The longsword is one of the best weapons in the game. It's my favorite weapon in the series, so I used it on my first playthrough, and it did some serious work. It's also very light, so if you're newer to the games, you can pair it with a heavier, stable shield to block with, until you get dodging down.

Experien

Don't forget to wear the Crystal Sage Rapier on your off hand. You can two-hand your main weapon and the rapier will still give its item discovery boost.

I just did that to get the final Human Dreggs needed for the last spell to get that trophy. It wasn't that long but it did use up all but one of my coins and took a decent amount of time.

I'd have to do another playthrough for rings/sorceries/pyromancy/gesture trophies because I messed up the Yuria questline (didn't know about Yondel until it was too late).

Chitown B

Ugh invading sucks sometimes. I keep invading and getting the same two guys over and over. Plus the game seems to have lag/rules issues. I'll get swiped with a sword across the screen. And I'll see my opponent's bar drop to zero yet they somehow won't die.

Chitown B

WTF is up when people are able to put items on their swords and just become invincible during the animation? It's bullshit. I get an opening and hit them and nothing happens? They they get a free hit on me? F that.

edit: seriously I can't fight in PVP when sword swings don't even hit me yet take damage. I watch a sword whiff and me take damage. There's no way to plan an attack with that happening. Is this how it always is?

Kyzon

if you're on X1 I can help. level 118

That would be magical.

GT: Kyzon Xin

Or if you're there with your sign down my password will be kyzon

Edit: I'll be at the Anor Londo Bonfire

Edit Again: I FINALLY WON! Used vow of silence to cripple his spell usage.

Chitown B

That would be magical.

GT: Kyzon Xin

Or if you're there with your sign down my password will be kyzon

Edit: I'll be at the Anor Londo Bonfire

Edit Again: I FINALLY WON! Used vow of silence to cripple his spell usage.

Sorry I didn't see this in time but awesome!

grmlin

WTF is up when people are able to put items on their swords and just become invincible during the animation? It's bullshit. I get an opening and hit them and nothing happens? They they get a free hit on me? F that.

edit: seriously I can't fight in PVP when sword swings don't even hit me yet take damage. I watch a sword whiff and me take damage. There's no way to plan an attack with that happening. Is this how it always is?
Yeah, if the connection is stable and without lag PvP is great.
For me that's 1 out of 10 fights. I lost all interest in PvP in this game because of that.

Goldboy

Do you think it's possible for someone to beat the game with the original, default longsword you get as a knight at the start of the game? (Provided that you upgrade it at the blacksmith.)

You can beat the game with pretty much any weapon. The longsword is actually a pretty good weapon.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Yes. The longsword is an excellent and well-balanced weapon. Slashing attacks have a decent sweep and speed, the 1H R2 has great range, and the 2H R1 is good if you want a move that hits high up. It has an answer for everything.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk

If it's always this bad, either you're always invading the same laggy players, or you're the one with the bad connection... :/ I mean there's always some "normal Souls lag" going on, but if it's that playable then something's wrong.

So no, it's not supposed to always be like that.

Chitown B

Thanks. From my further research online, it's usually this bad for most people. Seems like DS3's netcode is optimized for Japan and that area where they all have superfast close internet.

So, no one here is on X1 and has 20 Proof of Concord Kept to spare do they? :):)

Seriously? I guess there are some good youtubes of people doing crazy stuff in this game that I should watch.

Check out the happy hobb on twitch. He has "no hit" dark souls 1 and I believe DS3. He is currently trying to no hit DS3 including the DLC...Has been going at it every night for a couple of months!

This involves going through the whole game, beating every boss, and not being hit once! He is pretty good at souls games :)

Here's lasts nights stream, the first run gets pretty far:-

http://www.twitch.tv/the_happy_hob/v/123999300?sr=a&t=0s

Finaika

what's your process? For instance, I have a friend I play with and we both put passwords on. Summon sign shows instantly. Almost no network issues.

I'm playing with my brother. We both put passwords on, summon sign shows up no problem, but it always ends up with "Unable to summon" text.

i took a break from DS3 bc i had played thru it so many times i was in danger of boring myself plus a friend found a PS3 at a thrift store w MGS4 for $60. he already had one so i gladly took it off his hands and walked down to Gamestop in the pouring rain the next day to buy Demon's Souls.

DeS is so good and coming from Dark Souls 3 feels very natural! the levels are very linear like DS3 and there are a good 3-4 areas that are either direct remakes of DeS areas or highly referenced in DS3. warning -- some DeS/DS3 spoilers here!

it is funny bc i have seen DS3 get so much flak for ripping of DS1, yet it is clearly trying to reference the first game, which was largely ripped off by DS1. the gargoyles taking you somewhere? DeS. the fire breathing dragon bridges? DeS. Patches the thief who tries to kill you in every Souls game? DeS. i had thought the laughing inquisition-goth Evangelists were a Bloodborne reference: nope, turns out they are in DeS! also squid-face Cthulu wizards!

Irithyll Dungeon and Firelink Shrine are the most famous references in DS3, being full remakes of the Tower of Latria and Nexus in DeS. the High Wall and Lothric Castle itself are both very reminiscent of DeS's Boletaria, featuring the same red-eyed knights and even some of the same enemy movesets and models. then there is the Stormruler you use to take down Yhorm the Giant - this is a special weapon used in DeS at the coolest end-game soul farming spot ever in a videogame. the whole Shrine of Storms area has that windswept-rocky-cliffside-ruins feel that opens up DS3 just outside Firelink Shrine and again later in Archdragon Peak. parts of DeS's Shrine of Storms feel like the area in DS3's Cruxifiction Woods, the ruins before you fight the Crystal Sage. and this is just level design, there are character designs, lore concepts, weapons, armors, etc. it is shocking to me just how much of the Dark Souls series was baked into DeS. and it isn't even rough and sketchy - DeS was a polished product.

anyways just wanted to rant a little. highly recommend DeS for any fans of DS3. it is the Souls games closest to it. imo DS3 was designed to be an homage to the entire series in this way, starting and focusing mostly on DeS. the number of references to DS1 are far fewer than the references to DeS. with DS3 they are thematically and gameplay wise bringing it back home, back to where it started: linear and tightly designed levels packed with atmospheric detail. i wouldn't be surprised if there was lore theories about the series looping in on itself tbh.

Pixieking

Banned
Yeah, I'd love to play DeS, but can't. We're living abroad currently, and have our PS4 but no PS3 with us - it's back in the UK, due to space/weight baggage issues. A real shame that there's no PS4 BC or PC port - when people talk of system exclusives, the possibility that they won't have access to the system in the future never comes up.

I got Demon's Souls from PS Plus back when Plus games were actually good, but never got around to playing it because I had Dark Souls 2 to play. I'm pretty sure playing Demon's is no longer worth it because there's no online activity. I missed the party.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
I've just bought the game. Will be arriving tomorrow, I've never played any titles by FROM or anything like them but I really want to give DS3 and BB a try.

Any recommendations before starting like YouTubers with helpful tips and guides?

I'm pretty sure playing Demon's is no longer worth it because there's no online activity.

my first trip through DaS was PvE only and it was still magnificent. if anything it forces you to solo all the bosses -- by the time i got DS3 and had the online section hooked up, i got into a bad habit of summoning whenever i had trouble.

I've just bought the game. Will be arriving tomorrow, I've never played any titles by FROM or anything like them but I really want to give DS3 and BB a try.

Any recommendations before starting like YouTubers with helpful tips and guides?

knight class is easiest to start DS3, good armor and weapons. imo it's a good idea to just bite the bullet and do the tree-jumping thing at Firelink Shrine as soon as you get there, you get both an Estus Shard (additional healing slot) and a Covetous Silver Serpent Ring (you earn more souls w every kill). very convenient of DS3 to place the CSSR at the start of the game! thanks, FROM!

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Abyss Watchers are impossible to beat alone. (Maybe if you have a magic build or something. I don't know.)

Whales

Banned
I've said it before and I'll say it again: Abyss Watchers are impossible to beat alone. (Maybe if you have a magic build or something. I don't know.)

Nah... Abyss Watchers is really a fun and fair fight too. First time I went in and saw
one of them rising and coming to attack me
I was like
man fuck this shit, not a fucking gank boss.... Until a third one showed up and I realized he was helping me

Just wait until one of them is up and helps you, and be patient on the 2nd phase

Nah... Abyss Watchers is really a fun and fair fight too. First time I went in and saw
one of them rising and coming to attack me
I was like
man fuck this shit, not a fucking gank boss.... Until a third one showed up and I realized he was helping me

Just wait until one of them is up and helps you, and be patient on the 2nd phase

Too late, I already used a computer summon to help beat them. (Thank god I had an NPC summon available.) Now it's on to the skeleton catacombs. (i.e. hell.)

Toxi

Banned
Too late, I already used a computer summon to help beat them. (Thank god I had an NPC summon available.) Now it's on to the skeleton catacombs. (i.e. hell.)
For the skeletons, if you have a blunt weapon, it will always knock them over. Very helpful against the big skeletons. Greirat sells a Mace if you don't have one.

You can also kill the resurrecting ones with a Blessed Weapon to stop them from resurrecting, but I find it easier to just kill them twice, since Blessed sucks.

I got Demon's Souls from PS Plus back when Plus games were actually good, but never got around to playing it because I had Dark Souls 2 to play. I'm pretty sure playing Demon's is no longer worth it because there's no online activity. I missed the party.
It is absolutely still worth playing. I bet there's still the odd bit of online activity too.

Sarcasm

I never did online in DeS, the rules the same as DS1?

Level range and weapon level plus be in same location type of thing?

Or the server permanently down?

Toxi

Banned
I never did online in DeS, the rules the same as DS1?

Level range and weapon level plus be in same location type of thing?

Or the server permanently down?
Servers are still up.

Location for most PvP duels is the first courtyard of the Shrine of Storms 4-1. Level range is 120-125, but you can find some games at level 70.

Jombie

First time I've ever heard this and they're more than fair. It's easy to get a +4 weapon beforehand, they're easy to backstab and they have a relatively low health pool. If anything, they could stand to be a bit harder.

Top Bottom