• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch Gaming |Thread4| NOT Doomed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Find it interesting that Spell Tower is climbing up the charts. It's been a dollar before so I guess word of mouth is really pushing it this time

Mrbob

So I've been playing Total War Battles for the last hour and it is very good. Keeps some of the tactical elements of the PC games, but as the pocket gamer review says you basically have 5 lanes to move forward on. Still a decent amount of strategy involved since there are troop types that can counter what the enemy has on the field. I wouldn't worry about the in app purchase of EXP, as you get experience a couple ways. Either by finishing missions or by doing bonus challenge missions. The in app purchasing is basically auto win so you can level everything up right away. Have to head out soon but I'll definitely but putting more time into it tonight.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
question from the ipad thread that I'm hoping somebody here and help me with

can you use your idevice in wifi discovery mode for stuff? kinda like how you can play with DSes even if they're not connected to the internet. thinking about games and messaging here

Is Pirates iPad any good or does it still crash like old reviews say?

I think it's patched up. As for being good, some elements are fine, some are better than the PC version (dancing), and some elements are worse (ship navigation). Fortunately the game is pretty casual-friendly so the navigation stuff doesn't matter too much.

Zeth

Is Plants vs Zombies getting retina for iPad? I'd love to play it again, especially with all the features from the iPhone version.

So I've been playing Total War Battles for the last hour and it is very good. Keeps some of the tactical elements of the PC games, but as the pocket gamer review says you basically have 5 lanes to move forward on. Still a decent amount of strategy involved since there are troop types that can counter what the enemy has on the field. I wouldn't worry about the in app purchase of EXP, as you get experience a couple ways. Either by finishing missions or by doing bonus challenge missions. The in app purchasing is basically auto win so you can level everything up right away. Have to head out soon but I'll definitely but putting more time into it tonight.

Sounds like fun, I'll pick it up tonight. Any multiplayer modes, or is it all single player? (just curious really, only picking it up for the SP)

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
IB2 is better than the original...more paths, items, and fighting styles available but the gameplay is largely the same. Prettier. You are still just going to be doing a ton of grinding again. I only have it because I got it via Freemyapps.com for free. Twas 800pts. I don't think I'd buy it unless it were on sale for cheap.

The mob stuff isn't that great. You don't actually actively interact with anyone. Basically there are just daily challenges to complete. For example, there is a monster with like 1 million HP and you get 30 seconds to try and do as much damage as possible to him. Everyone else in the mob does the same independently. If everyone playing clashmobs adds up to doing that 1million damage you get some reward. I don't know anyone else playing the game but I think if you have other people in the mob in your GameCenter friends list you get additional rewards or more time to complete the challenges.

Hmm...Sounds unique. I MAY dip when there's a sale then, depending on if Clashmobs "catch on".

E: Thank you for the write-up!

Mrbob

Sounds like fun, I'll pick it up tonight. Any multiplayer modes, or is it all single player? (just curious really, only picking it up for the SP)

It's single device local multi player on Ipad only. Campaign map looks fairly large, so if you are in it for this you should be happy.

Vyer

What's the difference between Galaxy on fire 2 and Galaxy on fire2 HD? Both of them say they are iPad/retina games. I have GoF 2 on my phone.

biocat

Find it interesting that Spell Tower is climbing up the charts. It's been a dollar before so I guess word of mouth is really pushing it this time

There was an article in the NYT a couple weeks ago that talked a bit about the creator. That's at least the reason I know about it.

hygraed

What's the difference between Galaxy on fire 2 and Galaxy on fire2 HD? Both of them say they are iPad/retina games. I have GoF 2 on my phone.

The HD version has higher-quality assets and is intended for the iPhone 4S, iPad 2, and iPad 3.

Shearie

I really like Zaga-33. Randomized roguelike stripped down and streamlined to its essentials. Pretty atmospheric too with its simple visuals and haunting music. Although its pretty goofy whenever you start the game and some alien type voice yells ZAAAAAGGGAAAAAAA!!!!!!!! at you :)

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
question from the ipad thread that I'm hoping somebody here and help me with

can you use your idevice in wifi discovery mode for stuff? kinda like how you can play with DSes even if they're not connected to the internet. thinking about games and messaging here
If you're asking if idevices can connect together via ad-hoc wifi, I don't believe so. The only non-networked wireless connection they use is Bluetooth.

But I really don't know if I understand your question.

japtor

Anyone that's playing Draw Something, there's a thread (in off-topic for whatever reason) which isn't anything new, but this is, a (form and) spreadsheet!:

Form to add yourself and Spreadsheet of members

So if you've been playing randoms that just give up and write shit out or just suck, add yourself and try playing with the others there instead. Samples from some of us already on there:
IMG_0087.PNG

CpQ03.jpg

0P0ay.png

Q67w5.jpg

Heel

Question about FreeMyApps.

I got a new iPad and restored from iCloud with an old iPad backup. When I started up FreeMyApps it had kept my old point balance, and none of the new apps are giving me points.

How do I fix this?

EDIT: Cleared Safari cookies and now I can download all of the apps again, haha. Nice!

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Anyone that's playing Draw Something, there's a thread (in off-topic for whatever reason) which isn't anything new, but this is, a (form and) spreadsheet!:

Cool! added to the OP.

Still looking for someone offering to do a couple of needed banners for new content but nobody seems interested.
What do I have to do, offer some free games or something?! Ok, I will: ANY game you want from the freemyapps list, better? I'd offer anything from the appstore but you can't gift stuff without a cc and for my US account I use iTunes cards.

Cool! added to the OP.

Still looking for someone offering to do a couple of needed banners for new content but nobody seems interested.
What do I have to do, offer some free games or something?! Ok, I will: ANY game you want from the freemyapps list, better? I'd offer anything from the appstore but you can't gift stuff without a cc and for my US account I use iTunes cards.

Are you still wanting a banner for controllers? I could throw one together but it'd be very basic and probably sloppy.

Heel

Dash, can you make the link to the iOS Online Boardgaming Megathread .com and not .net? You can remove the board game threads for Ascension and Ticket to Ride too, as they're now inactive and redundant...

japtor

Best pacman game(s)?
I still like Pac-Man CE still...even if it hasn't been updated to retina, and the scoring on Game Center was sort of fucked up last I checked, it's still fun once you get the hang of a control scheme. If you're familiar with the Xbox one (the first one, not DX) the original championship level is there as course 15, while course 1 is sort of a simplified version of it that's easier to play.

Samples from some of us already on there:

Contentious, but I'd rather simpler art. It's not a drawing game - it's a communication game. I got the DOWN album cover, but the person trying to guess it evidently didn't. How would drawing something simpler have been less fun for the game, rather than showing off? Hm.

Manax

I want to love this game like so many people do, but I have played so many times and not unlocked a class. I'm sure I've played it through at least 20 times, and some of those times quite lengthy. I don't know what's going on, but it's annoying.

is there some special thing that must be done to unlock other classes?

I think a trophy appears every 10 boss monsters you kill

tapping this trophy should unlock a new class if you are playing adventurer (has a 50/50 chance of leveling up or unlocking with other classes)

you have to be playing on normal as a minimum for this to happen not sure if the 10 boss kills have to be in the one game

railGUN

Banned
I want to love this game like so many people do, but I have played so many times and not unlocked a class. I'm sure I've played it through at least 20 times, and some of those times quite lengthy. I don't know what's going on, but it's annoying.

is there some special thing that must be done to unlock other classes?

Are you playing on easy? You need to be on normal or higher to unlock classes (I believe). I just got the game an hour ago, and unlocked Paladin on my first game.

Card Boy

Banned
What's the difference Call of Duty: Black Ops Zombies and Call of Duty: Zombies? The later is on sale for $1.99

Also one for SmokeyDave, Trainz Simulator is on sale for 99cents on iPad.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
I have to pay $9.99 for the HD-ified version when I already own GoF2? :(
Valkyrie expansion is free if you already own it on the same device though. There was also a half price sale for a few weeks recently on the game. IIRC they'll do a other once the Supernova expansion hits soon.

SmokyDave

What's the difference Call of Duty: Black Ops Zombies and Call of Duty: Zombies? The later is on sale for $1.99

Also one for SmokeyDave, Trainz Simulator is on sale for 99cents on iPad.

Cheers man but I've already got it!

I've got a photo of the missus playing it on a train. So awesome. Wish they'd bring out an iPhone version for Chooing on the move.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
Valkyrie expansion is free if you already own it on the same device though. There was also a half price sale for a few weeks recently on the game. IIRC they'll do a other once the Supernova expansion hits soon.

But it sounds like that expansion won't look as good on my 4S as the HD version. Which sucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom