• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTD| Oh, you're reading manga? How cute...

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Dr. Stone 26

All of that for soda
? Really.

BLack Clover

Dorksta's fight is very incredible, Im glad the Black Bulls members are getting their time to shine in these fights.

Well, based on history,someone kill a load of people for spice. I can buy someone making an alliance just to get a soda.

Fire Punch 68

Good thing about fire punch: i have no idea where this is going

Bad thing about fire punch: i have no idea where this is going

Yuragi Yuuna 78

'If you go there, you'll have an erotic experience' would make for a pretty decent advertising line. Shion's already fitting well into the, uh, plot of the series. Also this chapter made me revise my opinion on Nonko.

yDelNiY.png

For entirely proper and wholesome reasons.

upandaway

Dr Stone

Well, based on history,someone kill a load of people for spice. I can buy someone making an alliance just to get a soda.
It's not just soda anyway, the soda is like the mascot for all of the modern foods and drinks that he won't be able to taste on the other side

casiopao

Kaiji one poker hen 179

Damn o damn, Kazuya literally forget that Kaiji can raise the pot lol. Now he is tangled by his own overthinking all around.

Catching up on Boku No Hero Academia (up to chapter 130 now) and I think I'm quickly losing interest.

The League of Villains attack arc was great. But since then? Man, it's been so boring and I have way too many issues with it. The biggest being how utterly boring the main character. He sucks so much. I don't find him remotely interesting, his inner thoughts are tiring to read and virtually everything about him screams generic shonen protagonist. The simplistic take on good/evil also got old fast, largely because every other chapter has to remind you of it.

Probably going to drop it if it doesn't pick up in the next few chapters, the last 20-30 have been a slog to read.

Catching up on Boku No Hero Academia (up to chapter 130 now) and I think I'm quickly losing interest.

The League of Villains attack arc was great. But since then? Man, it's been so boring and I have way too many issues with it. The biggest being how utterly boring the main character. He sucks so much. I don't find him remotely interesting, his inner thoughts are tiring to read and virtually everything about him screams generic shonen protagonist. The simplistic take on good/evil also got old fast, largely because every other chapter has to remind you of it.

Probably going to drop it if it doesn't pick up in the next few chapters, the last 20-30 have been a slog to read.

I feel like when I see posts like this people must be reading an alternate reality version of MHA since what they explain sounds nothing like what I'm reading.

LeleSocho

Banned
To be honest i lost interest in MHA too, Deku is boring but he's not the only one and neither it's the only problem.
In 150 chapters there has been at most two good fights and the story i find has completely lost focus as of right now with this current arc being a snorefest.

DNAbro

I would go as far to say that Deku is definitely my favorite shounen protagonist.

Also I know a lot of people dislike this arc and the last one but I've still been absolutely loving it. These last 3 chapters have been astounding.

Thud

I would go as far to say that Deku is definitely my favorite shounen protagonist.

Also I know a lot of people dislike this arc and the last one but I've still been absolutely loving it. These last 3 chapters have been astounding.

It had almost no Deku until now tho :p.

This arc has been a bit messy, but the focus on different heroes has been good at least.

DNAbro

It had almost no Deku until now tho :p.

This arc has been a bit messy, but the focus on different heroes has been good at least.

I also love other characters too.

Suneater fight was cool. I like how they used Toga and Twice more and that Kirishima got the spotlight for a bit. Mirio's part is so good he's my 3rd favorite character now. Pacing has been a bit slow but since I'm enjoying what's happening I don't really care.

I feel like when I see posts like this people must be reading an alternate reality version of MHA since what they explain sounds nothing like what I'm reading.

I'd like to live in an alternate reality too where a generic shonen protagonist with some generic strength powers is an interesting character but unfortunately, I don't. :/

And heck, I actually think the author is way better a writer than the manga indicates. He tries so hard to make some of the scenarios/fights interesting. But there's only so much you can do with such a boring base. The contrast between fights involving Deku vs. some of the other characters is pretty crazy to me. That's probably why I enjoyed the Villains attack arc so much. Very little of the boring protagonist compared to the current arc.

It shows too when the cooler characters with more unique powers show up and just leave me day dreaming of a more interesting manga. I just got a little past the character showing up who is top 3 in the school and can phase through stuff.

I'd off Deku in a heartbeat if we could replace him with someone like that. Can't believe All Might chose some boring scrub like Deku over a character like that.

I'd like to live in an alternate reality too where a generic shonen protagonist with some generic strength powers is an interesting character but unfortunately, I don't. :/

And heck, I actually think the author is way better a writer than the manga indicates. He tries so hard to make some of the scenarios/fights interesting. But there's only so much you can do with such a boring base. The contrast between fights involving Deku vs. some of the other characters is pretty crazy to me. That's probably why I enjoyed the Villains attack arc so much. Very little of the boring protagonist compared to the current arc.

It shows too when the cooler characters with more unique powers show up and just leave me day dreaming of a more interesting manga. I just got a little past the character showing up who is top 3 in the school and can phase through stuff.

I'd off Deku in a heartbeat if we could replace him with someone like that. Can't believe All Might chose some boring scrub like Deku over a character like that.

I don't get how you find Deku boring, unlike actual generic shonen protagonist who often just win by will power Deku always is thinking and going for the more analytical solution to a problem. You compare him to someone like a Luffy, Goku, or Asta who's solution is "Imma just keep fighting till I figure it out and win" I dunno how you call Deku generic. If anything MHA doesn't give Deku enough to do, most arcs he's one of many characters who gets to share the spot light like the current one where he's had one moment and the rest of the arc has focused on Mirio, Kirishima, and another one of the big 3.

Aww man and here we go^^ the comparisons he never made it can't just be about Mha we gotta bring up the other shows. And that's factually wrong anyway Both luffy and goku have had to think to win fights

The only plus to dekus character compared to those is he's shown to be very intelligent even outside a of battle

Aww man and here we go^^ the comparisons he never made it can't just be about Mha we gotta bring up the other shows. And that's factually wrong anyway Both luffy and goku have had to think to win fights

The only plus to dekus character compared to those is he's shown to be very intelligent even outside a of battle

"Generic shonen protagonist" is a comment that invites comparison to the other big popular "generic shonen protagonist". And yes I acknowledge that all those characters have had moments of doing those things, but there are levels to these things.

A.J.

Banned
I don't get how you find Deku boring, unlike actual generic shonen protagonist who often just win by will power Deku always is thinking and going for the more analytical solution to a problem. You compare him to someone like a Luffy, Goku, or Asta who's solution is "Imma just keep fighting till I figure it out and win" I dunno how you call Deku generic. If anything MHA doesn't give Deku enough to do, most arcs he's one of many characters who gets to share the spot light like the current one where he's had one moment and the rest of the arc has focused on Mirio, Kirishima, and another one of the big 3.

Didn't Deku win one of his more prominent fights by just screaming 100% and punching the muscular dude harder than before?

If the writer would slow down and let the arcs have breathing room, I dont know why he is always in a rush through stuff, Iw as pleasantly surprised this arc both Kiri and Amajiki got some moments of development, but each + mirio could have been expanded by at least two more chapters.

casiopao

Rereading Helck really makes me happy again here.T_T

Man, what a ride this manga had been. Multiple times much much better than many other shonen manga too.

No idea who Asta is. Don't think I ever said Goku is interesting or not generic.

I'll bat for Luffy though. He's a way better protagonist than Deku, primarily because Oda doesn't attempt to add more to him where nothing is needed.

Luffy is a simpleton, an idiot whose mind runs a single track and who either by himself or via others, provides humor to the series. More than that though, his power, at a base level is far more interesting to play around with than a strength boost. Combined then, throughout One Piece, you get plenty of moments that are funny or interesting due to his simplistic nature and powers. But there aren't a lot of moments where you get the serious Luffy inner monologue because good god, that would be terrible.

Dekus powers aren't interesting. He comes off largely as an extremely low budget All Might. He's not really a funny protagonist, nor does he have the charm or charisma to carry the manga. His internal struggle is so largely simplistic that when I'm exposed to several chapters of him inner monologuing, it becomes largely a bore to read.

He might try to be a protagonist that uses his brains but since he's not actually all that smart, that fights aren't all that more interesting. Him using his "brain" largely amounts to using common sense and not being an idiot. When I think manga with smart fights, I think of something like Hunter x Hunter.

So to go back to it all, the Villain attacking arc? Yea, that shit was great. Because you had characters making an appearance in the manga that actually felt like they had a presence. Because Deku sure as hell doesn't. His origin story of him tagging along with his hot headed friend is perfect actually when you think about it. Because that's exactly what he still feels like. He's tagging along this manga ride with other characters, that are more interesting personality wise, have more interesting powers and have more charm and charisma in one panel than Deku does in a 100 some chapters.

PK Gaming

Didn't Deku win one of his more prominent fights by just screaming 100% and punching the muscular dude harder than before?

You mean Deku using a known ability (All for One, 100%) and suffering badly afterwards?

He was even forced to change his fighting style after doing it. Not at all similar to generic shonen protags who walk away scot-free after "going all out."

You mean Deku using a known ability (All for One, 100%) and suffering badly afterwards?

He was even forced to change his fighting style after doing it. Not at all similar to generic shonen protags who walk away scot-free after "going all out."

Most shonen characters have a big technique that incapacitates or harms them after using it.

DNAbro

No idea who Asta is. Don't think I ever said Goku is interesting or not generic.

I'll bat for Luffy though. He's a way better protagonist than Deku, primarily because Oda doesn't attempt to add more to him where nothing is needed.

Luffy is a simpleton, an idiot whose mind runs a single track and who either by himself or via others, provides humor to the series. More than that though, his power, at a base level is far more interesting to play around with than a strength boost. Combined then, throughout One Piece, you get plenty of moments that are funny or interesting due to his simplistic nature and powers. But there aren't a lot of moments where you get the serious Luffy inner monologue because good god, that would be terrible.

Dekus powers aren't interesting. He comes off largely as an extremely low budget All Might. He's not really a funny protagonist, nor does he have the charm or charisma to carry the manga. His internal struggle is so largely simplistic that when I'm exposed to several chapters of him inner monologuing, it becomes largely a bore to read.

He might try to be a protagonist that uses his brains but since he's not actually all that smart, that fights aren't all that more interesting. Him using his "brain" largely amounts to using common sense and not being an idiot. When I think manga with smart fights, I think of something like Hunter x Hunter.

So to go back to it all, the Villain attacking arc? Yea, that shit was great. Because you had characters making an appearance in the manga that actually felt like they had a presence. Because Deku sure as hell doesn't. His origin story of him tagging along with his hot headed friend is perfect actually when you think about it. Because that's exactly what he still feels like. He's tagging along this manga ride with other characters, that are more interesting personality wise, have more interesting powers and have more charm and charisma in one panel than Deku does in a 100 some chapters.

Well get ready for Deku to be called out on that. A major part of this arc is the question of whether or not Deku should have been the one to get One for All, considering that yes there are more heroic, charismatic, and powerful heroes out there.

I personally find Deku's want to help those in need no matter the cost to him really compelling. The fact that it's one of his biggest character flaws is interesting.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Well get ready for Deku to be called out on that. A major part of this arc is the question of whether or not Deku should have been the one to get One for All, considering that yes there are more heroic, charismatic, and powerful heroes out there.

I personally find Deku's want to help those in need no matter the cost to him really compelling. The fact that it's one of his biggest character flaws is interesting.

so.... exactly like every other boring bog-standard shounen protagonist?

A.J.

Banned

The criticism wasn't aimed at whether the ability was known or not. It was the fact that he won the fight by basically just punching harder.

PK Gaming

Most shonen characters have a big technique that incapacitates or harms them after using it.

Yes, and in the next arc they're fine. Deku got seriously fucked up for punching with his full strength, to the point where he can't do it without permanent damage. Which led to the creation of his new fighting style. The self-damage is so much more purposeful here.

The criticism wasn't aimed at whether the ability was known or not. It was the fact that he won the fight by basically just punching harder.

Except you didn't even refute his point, because Deku doesn't often win by "punching harder."

Luffy is good, but so devoid of depth that saying he's "better than Deku" is absolute nonsense. He epitomizes shonen. He fights for his friends. He eats a lot. He's dumb. He's irreverent and fearless. He goes to extreme lengths to save people. Granted, the execution on him is actually pretty good, but there's nothing new or interesting about him. He never actually rises above his archetype, so I'm never genuinely invested in his character. Sure, I can't lie and say I don't get absolutely pumped when he manages to defeat a powerful foe, but Luffy for the most part, punches his way through problems and nothing else.

Deku is so much better on the character front. His character isn't nearly as repetitive, there are lasting consequences for his recklessness, and the plot doesn't bend itself backwards to make him out to beat the main bad guy. The character is sympathetic as fuck and immensely relatable because he comes across as an actual person instead of a beast that moves on instinct. He's introverted and a dweeb, but passionate enough to convince others without the author lying to the audience (ala Naruto's talk no Jutsu).

And his powers rock. His take on "super strength and super speed" is interesting because he's forced to work around his limitations. The lore behind his power alone puts above "fire and ice, explody man, acid, etc."

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Otoyomegatari ch. 65

Karluk has always been the weakest link in this series, so I appreciate Mori putting some more effort into him.

His bird is still the real star of this arc though.

Yea, I don't think we're going to agree on this. I find nothing you wrote about Deku to be true for me, especially the relatibility. To me, he comes off as a character where the author made an attempt to give him some depth. That attempt just wasn't very good, and yes, I'd take Luffy and his simplistic character over that. I prefer a better executed take on a character than a terrible one.

Suffice to say, this is just my opinion on the characters/manga. I'll give it a few more chapters and then probablg drop it, largely due to how utterly boring Deku is.

A.J.

Banned
Except you didn't even refute his point, because Deku doesn't often win by "punching harder."

I mean, I stopped reading the series sometime around when Mirio was introduced, but I don't really remember Deku winning too many fights with strategy or smarts up to that point.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Deku isn't a bad protag he's just not the most memorable and the story as it has played out so far doesn't always help him when it has a guy like Mirio shows up and steals the spot light in a few chapters. If anything the villains are often the weak point of MHA as most are just an interesting visual or power who get beaten and then fall off the map. Not too mention Bakugou is the worst character by and far, he's barely even a character but just the angry shit head trope made manifest.

DNAbro

Deku isn't a bad protag he's just not the most memorable and the story as it has played out so far doesn't always help him when it has a guy like Mirio shows up and steals the spot light in a few chapters. If anything the villains are often the weak point of MHA as most are just an interesting visual or power who get beaten and then fall off the map. Not too mention Bakugou is the worst character by and far, he's barely even a character but just the angry shit head trope made manifest.

Worst character is Mineta but I guess he's more of a joke. I'm just happy Bakugou didn't become a villain. I remember worrying that he was about to be "Sasuke'd"

SOIL by Atsushi Kaneko
(Mystery/Horror)
(Complete)

Something strange is going on in "Soil New Town." The sudden disappearance of a seemingly normal family leads the two detectives Yokoi and Onoda to the idyllic town in the middle of nowhere. What looks like a routine case at first quickly turns into a complex and deadly riddle where nothing is what it seems to be. Will the two disparate investigators manage to solve the mystery before it's too late?

SOIL is weird and eerie, made enjoyable because of the eccentric characters that try to figure out why the setting is the way it is. The mystery manages to be intelligible but is still strange enough to allow for a variety of interesting scenarios that plague the town. While I was aready a fan of this author's artstyle thanks to Bambi and Her Pink Gun, it works especially well here with great use of paneling and impactful spreads. I definitely recommend this fun, yet dark, manga

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Worst character is Mineta but I guess he's more of a joke. I'm just happy Bakugou didn't become a villain. I remember worrying that he was about to be "Sasuke'd"

At least the series acknowledges Mineta as a joke but it keeps asking me to give a shit about the dude who's most defining trait after his power is what an annoying angry shit he is.

Mousou Telepathy 441 - 446

When you come to the realization that the perverted thoughts were yours the whole time.

tsU8G1d.png

shokugeki no soma 230

Well, this should probably be a win for the rebel team. I'd be disappointed if Tadokoro loses after being coached by Shinomiya.

Caught up to Vinland Saga. I thought I'd dislike the main characters aversion to violence but the latest arc is pushing him in fairly interesting directions. And man, the art continues to be stunning.

Mousou Telepathy Ch446: Screaming!!!

Devil's Line Ch21-26: Man, this manga. It's got to be in my top 10 of all time. If not top 5. Can't recommend it enough.

Also:
Just let the poor kids have sex already.
This is a joke. As in-universe that would be a very, very bad idea.

Zweizer

Banned
Tonari no Robot ch8 (End) + Bonus by Nishi Uko

Thus concludes another great short series. It's pretty touching how Hiro was able to demonstrate her love towards Chika, in her own robot-y way, and that they've made up after all these years. Love can indeed take all kinds of shapes and forms, and if it's pure, uncorrupted and untampered, even data can be a proof of affection.

Tomo-chan wa Onna no ko! ch635

Maybe she should give up on him tho.

Minamoto-kun Monogatari ch215-216

So it's back to the ex now.

Top Bottom