• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pachter: Wii U a "mistake Nintendo may never recover from"

Daante

This year in the same sort of "space" that i would argue Nintendo with their Wii U is fighting for will be:

PS4
Steambox
Wii U

If they want the more "casual" crowd we also have the Ouya fighting there..

So yeah i somewhat agree with what Patcher is saying, although its far to early to really make a solid judgement on where this is all heading.

I think one solution is that Nintendo goes "panic-mode" (witch i think they already have started to do witch is quite refreshing to see from them..) and deliver one hell of lineup with first party titels aimed at the GAMERS, not the casuals/families.

monlo

In one paragraph, he says that Nintendo won't make money because developers don't see a reason to develop for the Wii U because Wii U sales are not 'a lot'. Then, in the next paragraph, he says Nintendo won't make money because hardware sales for the 3DS, *while ***higher*** than the DS at the same point in its life*, don't yield a profit for Nintendo yet.

So, are you saying developers don't see a reason to develop for the 3DS? Or are you saying the Wii U doesn't yield a profit for every unit it sells? Either way, I see profits in the long run.

Pachter, I don't get you.

michaelpachter said:
Nintendo is ensured high sales of its proprietary software, but it makes the most money on its royalty business, collecting fees from third parties for the privilege of letting them put out games on Nintendo platforms.

For what time period(s) has this been true? I think only during the Wii/DS boom. Anyone who expected the 3DS and Wii U to duplicate that kind of runaway success was not thinking clearly.

Cheerilee

In one paragraph, he says that Nintendo won't make money because developers don't see a reason to develop for the Wii U because Wii U sales are not 'a lot'. Then, in the next paragraph, he says Nintendo won't make money because hardware sales for the 3DS, *while ***higher*** than the DS at the same point in its life*, don't yield a profit for Nintendo yet.

So, are you saying developers don't see a reason to develop for the 3DS? Or are you saying the Wii U doesn't yield a profit for every unit it sells? Either way, I see profits in the long run.

Pachter, I don't get you.

Nintendo had to cut the price deeply on the 3DS to get those sales. The 3DS is basically breaking even (for now).

The WiiU is losing money and it's not selling. If they follow the 3DS plan and cut the price, they'll lose even more money.

The result is that Nintendo is losing money. In the past, Nintendo could have had a WiiU-style problem and not worried, because a successful handheld or console can carry the weight and make Nintendo earn money regardless, but the 3DS is in no position to carry anyone right now. The WiiU is dragging Nintendo down into failure.

This didn't happen to the N64 or VirtualBoy or the GameCube, because Nintendo has always managed to be profitable in their failures, and even if they weren't, they always had a strong GameBoy to lean on.

Top Bottom