• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Clash Royale |OT| Should I keep playing when I’m full on chests?

Everyone talking about Baby Dragon being powerful. I don't have a problem countering them but I'm still at Arena 1. I don't have one yet. Is it really that good? Seems meh to me, maybe my opponent not using it correctly.

It's great for a number of reasons:
- it flies, so it's hard to kill
- it aoe breathes, so it stalls/stops spam builds that are common where I am

Him and my bomber are MVPs atm, but I still can't beat solid spam builds

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!

Spam builds are hard when you don't know they are coming. Do you have lightning or rocket yet? They are great for damaging the tower and taking out the huts. I've also found that pushing the other side of the map is very effective when they drop huts on one side.

J0dy77

Personally I wouldn't bother, too expensive. You will get enough commons down the road and esp. when you are in a Clan. Then you can buy the first rare for a 10 Gold Profit if you donate. Better spend the gold on upgrading and the odd epic you want desperately (and you want Baby Dragon!).

How does the donate for profit work? Am I buying the rare from the gold card purchase and then donate it? Is there some sort of bonus for first donation?

Edit: What was the consensus on another gaf clan. I'll start one if we can get ten or so people.

HoodWinked

when you donate a common you get 1xp and 5 gold or 10xp and 50 gold for a rare.

common cards start at 3 gold so buying the common card for 3g and 4g is typically worth it so the same for the 40g rare.

Spam builds are hard when you don't know they are coming. Do you have lightning or rocket yet? They are great for damaging the tower and taking out the huts. I've also found that pushing the other side of the map is very effective when they drop huts on one side.

Currently using Fireball/Arrows without too much disrupting what I mean to do with my build

KingV

How does the donate for profit work? Am I buying the rare from the gold card purchase and then donate it? Is there some sort of bonus for first donation?

Edit: What was the consensus on another gaf clan. I'll start one if we can get ten or so people.

I would join

The new clan is up, search Neogaf and leave a request.

PMTBvOC.jpg

nampad

So is it a good idea to buy the epics from the shop? There is a Baby Dragon and I will probably have enough gold for it by tomorrow.

Gotchaye

So is it a good idea to buy the epics from the shop? There is a Baby Dragon and I will probably have enough gold for it by tomorrow.

You don't want to spread yourself too thin, but, yes, buying only one or maybe two different epics every time they show up in the shop is probably a good move. You could also buy epics only when you already have 1 copy of them, since that gets you to level 2 (assuming you'd use it).

sibarraz

Banned
I love this game, it has all the negative quirks of a f2p (timers, guys with better cards than me) but I don't have to play a lot on the day to get loot, I can play on my own pace.

I actually like those timers on the chests

Man is this even worth playing if i don't have a the dragon and that horse knight??! :mad:

Yes. I'm at Arena 5 and the only epic I've gotten from a chest is a Witch. I've purchased my only other epic (Goblin Barrel), and I'm still missing 16 possible Epics I could have (been seemingly unlucky with my chest drops). I would've bought more epics if it wasn't always Rage and Freeze rotating every day, but alas it is possible to push up the ranks with just your generic cards. You just have to adapt to the strategies of each arena/level, and know when to counter.

On a side note it's infinitely infuriating when I'm matched up against players a level or two higher and at least 150+ trophies ahead of me. When they 3 crown me before we even hit a minute left I'm just like WTF was I supposed to do lol.

Yes. I'm at Arena 5 and the only epic I've gotten from a chest is a Witch. I've purchased my only other epic (Goblin Barrel), and I'm still missing 16 possible Epics I could have (been seemingly unlucky with my chest drops). I would've bought more epics if it wasn't always Rage and Freeze rotating every day, but alas it is possible to push up the ranks with just your generic cards. You just have to adapt to the strategies of each arena/level, and know when to counter.

On a side note it's infinitely infuriating when I'm matched up against players a level or two higher and at least 150+ trophies ahead of me. When they 3 crown me before we even hit a minute left I'm just like WTF was I supposed to do lol.

Sounds low. I think they know you are a user willing to pay so they lower your drops.

I am only Arena 3 and I have recieved 4 epics from chests. I have put zero money into this game.

broz0rs

I've had good success to attack the opposite lane hard when a hut is up on a lane. I keep attacking so that the player will have to defend and won't have enough elixirs to have two huts on one lane.

My thoughts about production attacks is one hut is not a threat, two huts is a pain, three huts is game over.

DrAg0nBoY

So I was thinking to ask here for advice. I would just like to know, if I could somehow optimize my current deck more:
I have these cards:

Now it is not like I am losing that many games (I mean, I am at 30 - 13 win rate), but I would just like to know if I can do better with the cards I have.

Thanks

Sounds low. I think they know you are a user willing to pay so they lower your drops.

I am only Arena 3 and I have recieved 4 epics from chests. I have put zero money into this game.

When I say purchase I meant with coins, I haven't put any real money into the game yet due to my poor chests to this point. Why would I drop money on chests when I've only received 1 Epic from chests all the way to Arena 5? I would be willing to pay a bit if my chest drops were better or the rotating daily cards actually rotated between the epics. Went again from freeze yesterday to rage again today. Cmon man...

EDIT: Literally just got a Baby Dragon from a free chest lol. Not to mention I have a Super Magical Chest opening in a few hours so we will see.

So I was thinking to ask here for advice. I would just like to know, if I could somehow optimize my current deck more:

I have these cards:

Now it is not like I am losing that many games (I mean, I am at 30 - 13 win rate), but I would just like to know if I can do better with the cards I have.

Thanks

Honestly it all depends on how you play. I play a bit more defensively and time my counter-attacks. But I run a somewhat similar deck. If you are interested I would advise you to try replacing your archers and giant with goblin barrel and minions. Barrel is good for some unexpected offense, and minions provide better AA and ground attack than archers do. I really prefer running the bomb tower for its defensive capabilities, but see what works for you.

Jusoni

Sent a request for clan. Same username as here.
Hit a bit of a losing streak last night and lost ~100 trophies, but after that got the witch from crown chest. So everything went better than expected. :)

Echoes

This is my current main deck. I came up with it by studying what works and what doesn't for me personally, but now I realize people call them spam decks. The idea is to overwhelm the opponent with low-cost cards that are usually enough to take down the big guys. I went for the 'Zap' card (instead of the arrows or the fireball) because it only requires two elixir, and it stuns the enemies for a second. It's not as powerful, but it's usually enough to get rid of the minions (and whittle down the fliers). I usually put a hut, spawn one or two more cards, and then play the Rider on the opposite tower. It usually disrupts the opponent's plan because they expect me to focus on one tower (the one that they thought I was spamming).

I'm testing a golem deck now, it's promising but needs work.

I honestly don't know of any other way to do it.
Well, they have to have some parameters to determine good players and not so good players and match them up, instead of just using the trophie count.

If it was "skill" based and you wanted to match up to other people with the same level of cards you have, then it might be incentive to never level the cards and go up against other people and it may be easier to win?
A good game is designed in a way that it gets more complex and enticing the further you progress.

I don't know. Trophy level base is effectively skilled base, its just a p2w game, and without paying you may be behind other people card level wise.. it sucks, but it is what it is.
My last 16 matches(I'm lv.5, I didn't face a single lv. 5 player, only lv. 6 and lv.7, I'm between 1400 and 1500 trophies)
9 draws
6 victorys
1 defeat

Thats just bullshit. I can counter attacks, so I rarely lose, even though the enemies have higher troops. But even well executed attacks usually don't succeed because their troops are on average 1-2 lv. higher than mine. So I only win when they make mistakes.

They game has potential, but it doesn't live up to its potential when I have to fight against people who try the same lame prince attack that I counter again and again throught the match and on the other side they just have to place a lv 5 giant to defend because it takes ages till my troops ripped through that.

J0dy77

Thanks for the invite to the new NeoGAF clan. There's plenty of room for anyone looking to join, we need a lot more people. Hopefully we can fill it up.

Got up to arena 3 last night and about to open my first magical chest, hopefully something good.

Maybesew

This game is pretty fun. Seems like lots of time waiting for chests to open

What is a good average elixir cost for a deck?

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
This game is pretty fun. Seems like lots of time waiting for chests to open

What is a good average elixir cost for a deck?

I don't like more than 4.5 at the most. I'm usually under 4. Too high a cost and your deck is too slow to react to things.

broz0rs

Attacks to the tower usually consists of 2-3 cards that have costs of 5 elixirs. It's important to have low cost cards to quickly support that attack by defending or adding towards the attack if you think it will be successful.

TheExodu5

Banned
I'm starting to get fed up with the game.

The core mechanics and pace are pretty great, aside from defensive towers dictating the pace of the game too heavily.

But man, the p2w aspects are starting to get bad. It feels like every few matches I'm running into someone with cards 2-3 levels above mine and I don't have a chance in hell of beating them.

Kitoro

I've seen good players push into the mid 2000's with nothing but commons.

Yeah, it seems like it's not even worth using Epics unless one drops $100+ into the game to get their Epics up to snuff.

I wish I knew that before dropping $40 in worthless Google Play credit I had lying around. I've got plenty of Epics, but they're all level 1, 2, or 3, and most aren't much better than Level 6+ Commons, which is kind of lame.

Xeteh

Is there any way to share an account between an android device and an iphone? I'm assuming since I linked my account to my google account it won't link with my iphone?

Is there any way to share an account between an android device and an iphone? I'm assuming since I linked my account to my google account it won't link with my iphone?

You just pick Link Device, then put the code on the other phone. I think you need to connect them to FB too? I can't remember but I have the same account on both iOS and Android.

Brakara

Fun to hear John Ricciardi mention the NeoGAF clan on the latest Bombcast. It also helped the discussion about the game when it wasn't just Brad who'd played it.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
damn, that was probably my worst crown chest ever. Was up to over 1000 so just into arena 4, and ended up on 867 back down in arena 3. Huge losing streak and filled most of the chest with consolation single crowns. Didn't even fill the three open chest slots :/

sent a request to join the latest clan, all im doing is trying to create rush decks, not getting the cards I need but its still fun when it works

Jusoni

The 1000-1100 trophies range is a real bitch of an roadblock, at least for me. Most players are lvl 6 and have some solid cards and decks in that range. Having a hard time breaking into arena 4. Gotta level dem cards some more, or get the damn baby dragon. My chests seem to mostly give cards I don't use, damn minions popping from every chest.
This game is still probably the most fun F2P I've played on my mobile.

Top Bottom