• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: New SOCOM announced at PSX?

McLovin

I want a new Warhawk :-(
With psvr support I would get one in a heartbeat. That or a Motorstorm remake, I'd love to ride a motorcycle surrounded by monster trucks :D
On topic, i'd love a remake of the older games. Show me you can get that right and I'll get back into socom.

SOCOM is the only game that I would buy a Sony console for. That is as long a they go back to the original formula rather that the consecutive failures of 3 onwards.

Cheech

Look, I loved SOCOM 1 and 2... put 1000 hours into the first game. But they should just let the series die. The formula has been updated and copied in tons of online shooters since then.

meerak

PUBG existing makes me think this could be doable again now. Very different I know, but some important thru lines: 3rd person, sim-lite, squad-focused. Sounds like SOCOM.

DAHGAMING

Gold Member
When Socom 2 launched on PS2, and I had the network adapter + headset, it blew my mind I could play it online. Spent hours every night playing with the NZ / AU players. Cross Roads, Fish Hook, Enowapi, and my favorite Fox Hunt.

Rose tinted glasses and all, but I would say that was one the most enjoyable periods of gaming in my life.

The good old days, with lobbys " NO IW80s or GL" haha, online gaming was a bit magical back then aswell.

PUBG existing makes me think this could be doable again now. Very different I know, but some important thru lines: 3rd person, sim-lite, squad-focused. Sounds like SOCOM.

Agree. I also think Rainbow Six Siege could influence a decision to bring back a tactical, team based one life game.

Socom 2 is responsible for the people I still play with online to this day. Met a bunch of guys in a room one night, we decided to start a clan together (East 11 All Welcome! was our room). We all stuck together on PS2, 360, and now PS4...14 years later.

Last edited:

BibiMaghoo

I think that would be a mistake, and I like to think Sony tries to avoid them these days. No one needs another military shooter, and no one will buy it before the ones that exist already. Yes exceptions comes and go, but they are very much exceptions and not something to build expensive franchises around anymore.

Papacheeks

Banned
I think that would be a mistake, and I like to think Sony tries to avoid them these days. No one needs another military shooter, and no one will buy it before the ones that exist already. Yes exceptions comes and go, but they are very much exceptions and not something to build expensive franchises around anymore.

I would have to think that after seeing how well GHost Recon did, that another Socom is very viable if made by the right developer.

Zipper was a great developer but was hindered by some bad decisions Sony made, and also didn't change enough of their gameplay to adapt in changes with shooters.

I think a PUBG/Ghost Recon style Socom would be very viable. I mean PUBG by the shooting mechanics, and ghost recon's mission co-op structure with multiplayer.

Night time matches with night vision would be pretty kick ass.

revotron

Agree. I also think Rainbow Six Siege could influence a decision to bring back a tactical, team based one life game.

Agreed, Rainbow Six Siege gives me a subtle feeling of SOCOM, obviously a very different game, but it did feel familiar.

With Rainbow going in a solid direction and PUBG taking the industry by storm I think SOCOM could really hold solid ground if they modernized the game CORRECTLY and listened to the fan base.

revotron

Big update, Sony Santa Monica and a company labeled as SOCOM Technologies have 155 job listings.. check the OP for pictures and links.

Jondetroit

Neo Member
Big update, Sony Santa Monica and a company labeled as SOCOM Technologies have 155 job listings.. check the OP for pictures and links.

Still fighting the good fight REV we appreciate it. I only hope one day we can all gather up like the good ole days and say green ^.

Words from your favorite black socomer 😁

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Still fighting the good fight REV we appreciate it. I only hope one day we can all gather up like the good ole days and say green ^.

Words from your favorite black socomer 😁
If SOCOM comes back don’t expect it to be more of the same but I’m not saying it will be like that shit fest known as SOCOM 4.

LUKENBACHER

Neo Member
"SOCOM Technologies" is a marketing & advertising firm with no physical address that I can find: https://www.linkedin.com/company/socom-technologies/

Although I would love to hear about a new SOCOM being announced, I think the "SOCOM Technologies" hype is simply a marketing company helping Santa Monica with the circulation of job listings through various job boards aka "ladders". And one of the companies promoting it unfortunately has an interesting name when it comes to SOCOM fans.

The url leading to PlayStation's site looks like a simple search tag of the said company with its placement on the website being in the same area as a link to PS forums. I think people are seeing what they want to see here instead of using a little logic.

Add in the timing of the PSX rumor and I fear this one has been blown way out of proportion and we will all be disappointed again come early December.

autoduelist

"SOCOM Technologies" is a marketing & advertising firm with no physical address that I can find: https://www.linkedin.com/company/socom-technologies/

Although I would love to hear about a new SOCOM being announced, I think the "SOCOM Technologies" hype is simply a marketing company helping Santa Monica with the circulation of job listings through various job boards aka "ladders". And one of the companies promoting it unfortunately has an interesting name when it comes to SOCOM fans.

The url leading to PlayStation's site looks like a simple search tag of the said company with its placement on the website being in the same area as a link to PS forums. I think people are seeing what they want to see here instead of using a little logic.

Add in the timing of the PSX rumor and I fear this one has been blown way out of proportion and we will all be disappointed again come early December.

Logic would point in the direction of SOCOM though. Yes, it's just a quickie company with no physical address... that's the point. It was a company created for this specific purpose, hence the name.

GreatnessRD

LOL, no. Let's hope Socom keeps buried and Sony saves resources for Syphon Filter

Or they can just make both? I mean, its not like we're talking about a billion dollar company or something.

Here's hoping that Socom is being revived, but I've been let down too many times before so I'll actually wait and see. Would be a really nice addition to the world full of shooters. Don't heel turn on me again, Yoshi!

93xfan

Banned
Socom 1 and 2 are still my all time favorite online experiences. Stayed up until early morning due to that game.

Anyone else remember the taunts that were specific to region in confrontation? I liked this one, "this round's on me" from the SAS operator.

Come on, don't have GG stop doing Killzone because the market is hard to compete, to send another dev to die on rebooting SOCOM...

I don't believe it.

element

Why is this even getting attention?

This is a job posting screw up.

Everything listed is the same jobs listed on the Playstation careers page.

This isn't a new team making a SOCOM game.

Top Bottom