• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Puyo Puyo Tetris |OT| From Russia With Blob

bradigor

My PS4 copy arrived Friday just gone.

Like others, I am gutted I can't get the Japanese voices, the English ones really don't sound right after playing the Vita version.

Other than that, it is a joy to play and more Puyo Puyo Tetris is always welcome. I hope it does well so we see more battle puzzle games in the West, especially more Puyo.

Glass Joe

Weird that in the Binding of Isaac thread, word was that Nintendo demanded price parity for eShop and physical. Here's an example where the download is $10 cheaper. Wonder why that is? Maybe the keychains?

XaosWolf

Tetris has a huge advantage over Puyo. Puyo can clear stuff like that because otherwise playing Puyo against a good Tetris player would just be unplayable.

Sorry. Half my post was salt. I know that the speed of Tetris is a massive advantage over Puyo. Would NOT wanna give Puyo's a hard drop by default though. =P

If I remember correctly wasn't there a balance patch in the original release?

Still hate giving the opponent pre built Tetrises in exchange for the random gaps in mine. >=C

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Weird that in the Binding of Isaac thread, word was that Nintendo demanded price parity for eShop and physical. Here's an example where the download is $10 cheaper. Wonder why that is? Maybe the keychains?

Yeah, I think throwing in a physical bonus gave them a loophole to get around the price parity requirement.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Destructoid said:
95 - Puyo Puyo Tetris is one of the best puzzle games I've ever played, not just because it's based on two mechanically sound, battle-tested puzzle philosophies, but because it goes all out and doesn't leave any room for an "extended edition." Grab it, take it on the go, and preach the gospel of Puyo Puyo.

Can't ask for better than that. I know I've done my bit to attract disciples over the years.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Isaac came with physical goodies, too.

Nicalis probably just wanted to sell both versions for $40.

A loophole existing doesn't mean every dev will use it. Some will opt for the extra profits on the digital version by keeping it the same as the physical. Besides, that's the norm in the industry anyway, so it's not like consumers are mass boycotting digital games if they aren't cheaper than their physical counterparts. Hell, they're more expensive in many territories since you can use Prime or GCU discounts on digital games.

Fiendcode

Yeah, I think throwing in a physical bonus gave them a loophole to get around the price parity requirement.
There's no loophole because there's no price parity policy. No one in the know ever said there was either, it's just been speculation and rationalization snowballing.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
There's no loophole because there's no price parity policy. No one in the know ever said there was either, it's just been speculation and rationalization snowballing.

While there's not been confirmation, Eurogamer ran a piece about it and they tend to be pretty reliable.

That said I tend to agree with you. As I said above, the industry norm is price parity, so the rumors were probably just some dev like Nicalis deflecting criticism about their pricing by trying to pawn it on Nintendo having a price parity policy.

At the same time, if they didn't one with think Nintendo would have came out and said so. Then again, they're pretty bad at PR in general so who knows. And they may just not care as they'll definitely have price parity on their games and aren't big on sales and price drops etc. with their first party stuff.

Unknown?

Preordered yesterday on Amazon but says won't be here till Thursday. Do they not do day one delivery anymore or was I too late to preorder?

Persona7

Banned
Preordered yesterday on Amazon but says won't be here till Thursday. Do they not do day one delivery anymore or was I too late to preorder?

I ordered a second copy on saturday and it shipped the next day. I think there is a cut off date for release date delivery.

Mine is out for delivery right now! Excited to play this. I'm OK at Tetris, and terrible at Puyo Puyo, but I'm looking forward to getting better and playing with my girlfriend (she's better at Tetris than I am... don't tell her I said that.)

Seik

Banned
I just convinced a co-worker to Tetris VS. each others on Switch and the last five times he said no.

This time he said yes and we had a lot of fun, he wanna do this again.

One more step towards global saturation.

Fiendcode

While there's not been confirmation, Eurogamer ran a piece about it and they tend to be pretty reliable.

That said I tend to agree with you. As I said above, the industry norm is price parity, so the rumors were probably just some dev like Nicalis deflecting criticism about their pricing by trying to pawn it on Nintendo having a price parity policy.

At the same time, if they didn't one with think Nintendo would have came out and said so. Then again, they're pretty bad at PR in general so who knows. And they may just not care as they'll definitely have price parity on their games and aren't big on sales and price drops etc. with their first party stuff.
Eurogamer's piece was about Switch ports being more expensive full stop and trying to figure that out. They do say they've heard about a price parity clause but I think it's pretty unlikely unless Nintendo's policies have actually gone backwards from 3DS and Wii U. Even with Rime the rep on GAF seemed to point the finger more at the game being outsourced to Tantalus and needing to make back it's own separated budget rather than laying the blame chiefly at media costs.

I also don't remember Nicalis ever saying anything about a price parity clause. All I recall was Tyrone justifying BOI's $40 price point by pointing out the game + expansions on Steam add up to $36 and the extra $4 covers any leftover manufacturing and distribution costs.

tebunker

Banned

That is the definition of rationalized speculation. And we probably will never get the full story.

Gotta think of it this way, even if Eurogamer has a source, you think that source would take it on the chin for a shitty thing? Or would they take the easy road of passing the blame and remaining anonymous so they don't get questioned on it or in trouble for breaking any potential contractual crap?

It's healthy to remain skeptical, and too many times garbage gets repeated as gospel because people fail to follow up or do more research.

javadoze

Haven't looked through the thread, but any chance of this coming to PC?

Would be nice, but given how the Tetris Ultimate is already on steam and how weird the Tetris license in general can be, I think it's safe to say it's not happening.

Krakn3Dfx

Got my PS4 copy from Amazon today. Already own the Japanese copy from when it came out a few years back. Such a great game, can't wait to jump in again with the wife and play it some more.

Ladekabel

Since this will go up earlier and will be cheaper in the US store: What happens with my credit if I change the region of my Nintendo Account?

Zero315

Banned
The Giant Bomb quicklook showed an option in the in-game shop to buy alternate voices for the characters. Has anyone said anything about what that is?

Excuse my ignorance, but what exactly are keychains anyway?

il_340x270.1063175379_95wo.jpg

1upsuper

Are these characters new or have they been in previous games?

Puyo Puyo has had its colorful cast for years. Arle, the main character, is from the RPG Madou Monogatari, which predates Puyo Puyo. It's weird to think of Puyo Puyo as a spin-off, but it is.

Chorazin

Since this will go up earlier and will be cheaper in the US store: What happens with my credit if I change the region of my Nintendo Account?

If you have credit on the account, it won't let you change your region. Just make a new user with a US account, it's much easier.

I still can't believe Sega found a way to release this game outside of Japan.

I've played the 3DS version a ton, but still, Day 1. The online mode is a blast.

Top Bottom