• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Puyo Puyo Tetris |OT| From Russia With Blob

A patch?

Please tell me one player quitting a four player online match doesn't still end the game for everyone...That just destroyed playing online for me.

TransTrender

Gold Member
I can't offer any help playing against humans, but for CPUs:

Build up as many groups of 3 puyos as possible, then go for a massive string of consecutive pops / line clears. I find chains are much harder to set up in fusion, and you don't get enough tetriminos to build up multi-line clears at any real rate, so I don't bother and just focus on consecutive clears.

Garbage isn't too much of an issue since you can clear it easily with a tetrimino, but if your wall of them begins to get untidy it is a lot harder to clear because the puyos get in the way of a lot of the tricks you can pull in tetris.

Thanks for the advice, it worked. Never thought slumming it like that would work but it did.

XaosWolf

Patch notes according to the Official Puyo Puyo Twitter:

DJntHtLVYAArM5b.jpg

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
The tournament made me realize how legit is this game.

Is swap mode the most competitve way to combine both games here?

The two formats that are traditionally played in tournament are:

1v1 Swap
2v2 Versus (one Puyo player + one Tetris player per team)

Mixed 1v1 Versus (where players are free to pick whichever game they prefer) is sometimes used in less serious tournaments, but it isn't liked by some players for a few reasons: balance issues, how it arguably removes depth from puyo (tactics regarding building/blocking long chains are thrown out in exchange for a digging grind in the face of Tetris's consistent DPS), or simply that it lets players ignore learning one half of the crossover in the first place.

I personally love Fusion mode, but it's an admittedly silly mode and doesn't see wide play. In Swap mode, at least most of the tactics used in the individual games still have relevance, so it feels like you're still playing Puyo and Tetris. Fusion is entirely its own beast with its own play style, and it's almost entirely about speed and short-term improvisation due to the way that its chaining system works. It's also completely busted and allows you to do infinite combos. Or at least it did at launch. Not sure if that was ever patched... Otherwise top-level Fusion play would actually need some kind of "mercy kill" rule to prevent matches from lasting literally forever. Like having 6 blue garbage comets hanging over your head = auto-loss or something.

The two formats that are traditionally played in tournament are:

1v1 Swap
2v2 Versus (one Puyo player + one Tetris player per team)

Mixed 1v1 Versus (where players are free to pick whichever game they prefer) is sometimes used in less serious tournaments, but it isn't liked by some players for a few reasons: balance issues, how it arguably removes depth from puyo (tactics regarding building/blocking long chains are thrown out in exchange for a digging grind in the face of Tetris's consistent DPS), or simply that it lets players ignore learning one half of the crossover in the first place.

I personally love Fusion mode, but it's an admittedly silly mode and doesn't see wide play. In Swap mode, at least most of the tactics used in the individual games still have relevance, so it feels like you're still playing Puyo and Tetris. Fusion is entirely its own beast with its own play style, and it's almost entirely about speed and short-term improvisation due to the way that its chaining system works. It's also completely busted and allows you to do infinite combos. Or at least it did at launch. Not sure if that was ever patched... Otherwise top-level Fusion play would actually need some kind of "mercy kill" rule to prevent matches from lasting literally forever. Like having 6 blue garbage comets hanging over your head = auto-loss or something.

PTvPT doubles doesn't get played too much outside of Red Bull 5G since that event likes to emphasize team games. Most PPT-based tournaments like the recent JESL Student Championships run three brackets for Swap, PvP, and TvT.

PSqueak

Banned
I couldn't think of any other place to ask, but has there been any talks about releasing this game digitally on PS4, i know the game came out physical on PS4 but absolutely no store where i live carries it, so i was wondering if they had worked things out with the tetris company to release it digital too.

Gunstar Ikari

Unconfirmed Member
I take it the patch was not worth mentioning by anyone on the internet 🤣

I can't find a damn thing about it.

IIRC, it nerfed Tetris Perfect Clears and sped up how quickly Puyo garbage falls.

It made the high-level Puyo fans unhappy, because it not only failed to fix the extreme imbalance between Puyo and Tetris. but actually jacked up the balance in Puyo vs Puyo matches.

IIRC, it nerfed Tetris Perfect Clears and sped up how quickly Puyo garbage falls.

It made the high-level Puyo fans unhappy, because it not only failed to fix the extreme imbalance between Puyo and Tetris. but actually jacked up the balance in Puyo vs Puyo matches.

😬

Thanks for the reply!

Top Bottom