• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon 2 |OT2| From Smallfry to FlyFish in 5 Easy Steps!

Koren

The ranking system in this game is definitely built to propel almost everyone upward to S+, as long as you put in the time to get there. And even in S+ you can maintain your rank with like a 20-25% win rate, which would have been unheard of before.
I would like to know the exact formula, but 20-25% doesn't feel right. At 50% in A/A+ I've troubles to rank-up, and I derank for FAR less losses than 75%.

I don't think it's that easy to reach S+, even with time. I'm better than in S1, and it took me time to reach S in TC, and I'm still A/A+ in the other modes. And a lot of people don't even leave B.

I kinda wish there was an easier way to see Grillers coming.
I usually keep teammates in sight and use the red line... But honestly, if teammates know hot to play, grillers are basically stuck in a small, specific position, going back and forth, and they're easy pickings. If teammates don't know how to play, everyone try to avoid the grillers in full chaos, and it becomes quite random.

So
How do I use a dynamo roller in SR?
Besides dying.
Seems correct... It's insanely slow, it's annoying. Avoiding death is doable, but it's not that easy to be helpful, especially with bosses.

StAidan

I would like to know the exact formula, but 20-25% doesn't feel right. At 50% in A/A+ I've troubles to rank-up, and I derank for FAR less losses than 75%.

I don't think it's that easy to reach S+, even with time. I'm better than in S1, and it took me time to reach S in TC, and I'm still A/A+ in the other modes. And a lot of people don't even leave B.

Yeah, my comment was a little exaggerated. Based on my observation, it's probably closer to 33% to maintain. (Assuming it takes 8 losses to break your meter, and 3-4 wins to reach the "OK" line, which has been my experience.)

Koren

Yeah, my comment was a little exaggerated. Based on my observation, it's probably closer to 33% to maintain. (Assuming it takes 8 losses to break your meter, and 3-4 wins to reach the "OK" line, which has been my experience.)
You can break the meter in less than 8. I think I broke one in 5. I'm not sure how it really works.

StAidan

You can break the meter in less than 8. I think I broke one in 5. I'm not sure how it really works.

Ah, good to know. It's always been 8 for me but I can imagine it might depend on other factors. I think mine has only broken 4 times, and only after I reached S+.

Doorman

Of course, on a Friday that I would have been perfectly content tp skip new weapon night, they decide to throw in a weapon that brings back memories from the first game and nearly tempts me to jump back in. Rapid Pro Deco was one of my favorite disruptor weapons to toy around with in S1, and now that idea returns but with a special that can help it actually cover ground. Not to mention, mist as it currently operates makes more sense on this kit (to me) compared to the OG Blaster since its range lets it make use of mist a little easier a la Jet Squelcher.

I've been trying to keep my weapon pool condensed but this is genuinely a bit tempting for me with how much the normal blaster missed the mark (again, for me). A good ranged alternative to my Clash, but for as much as I enjoy both heavy splatlings I don't know that I even need another long-range option.

Koren

Ah, good to know. It's always been 8 for me but I can imagine it might depend on other factors. I think mine has only broken 4 times, and only after I reached S+.
If you take your experience as a basis to how easy you can climb ranks, you're probably wrong...

If you reached S+ with only 4 cracks, you probably belong there. With your track record, the software has probably seen you were above A early, so you got larger gains for wins, and less cracks for losses. You can even get multiple rank-ups (like B- > A-)

Once you reach your "level", you get less for wins, and cracks more easily.

It's probably far harder for "normal" players to reach S+ (or even to keep their sub-S rank) than you think.

I hope I'll be able to reach S+ (or at least stay in S), but I'm not that optimistic (I'm not great at PvP)

J@hranimo

Banned
The Rapid Pro retaining all of its buffs from Splatoon 1 + also gaining the damage buff in Splatoon + Overall small maps in Splatoon 2 =

rip chargers lol

Branduil

This Salmon Run is complete irredeemable garbage. Trash weapon set, trash teammates, trash special events. If I see one more griller or goldie seeking round I'm disconnecting.

J@hranimo

Banned
This Salmon Run is complete irredeemable garbage. Trash weapon set, trash teammates, trash special events. If I see one more griller or goldie seeking round I'm disconnecting.

Anything rotation with the Splatoon 2 Direct weapons is worth avoiding imo, except the Dapples Dualies.

HeroR

Why does it take so long to fill rooms during certain part of the day? Didn't have this problem with the first game since I just got the Japanese players. Now, Nintendo decided that only people closed to me should play, which makes filling rooms late at night or early in the morning a pain.

Branduil

Goldie Seeking on Marooner's Bay is the most unfun RNG bullshit in the game. You're pretty much fucked if the game decides to hide the Goldie on the left shore just because of how ridiculously difficult it is to get eggs back to the basket from there.

HeroR

Has anyone here suddenly been getting 'Unstable Connection' warnings? I got several disconnections in a row despite never having this problem before except maybe once every 10 hours.

phanphare

Banned
I love using rapid and rapid pro on humpback pumptrack

shooting over a curved surface and getting the blast as close to the ground as possible without cutting its travel short is so good

Getting addicted to playing again, mostly ranked tower control and splat zones as regular battle is kind of boring to me right now.

The new minigun is rather good, been using it with lots of special up gear so I can get my special super quick.

I don't think reaching S+ is that much of a challenge, I see tons of terrible players up there. I've said it before and I'll say it again, Nintendo needs a buffer between S and S+. Reach S10 before going up to S+ so it's not an insurmountable challenge but you still have to put work in.

The level of play from A to S is noticeable and from S to S+ is even more apparent. Players need more time getting good in the S range before making that final jump. It is possible for weaker players to get lucky and get carried from A+ to S+ fairly quickly then just be overwhelmed.

Ogodei

Cracks are based on context, i feel like. One loss after a run of wins usually won't crack. A hard-fought loss after a win usually won't. Multiple losses in a row can result in multiple cracks in a row, especially if those losses are blowouts.

There's probably a specific formula for it, based on a mix of your team's score vs the enemy's, your K:D ratio, and time-in-match, plus your recent win/loss record.

So it won't punish you for one bad matchup in a run of wins, and is less likely to ding you if you fought the enemy for every inch. But i could see a shatter in as few as 4-5 losses for certain, and it takes about 3-4 matches to get over the line, so a 50% win rate should barely keep you in the rank you're in, depending on which rank.

Cracks are based on context, i feel like. One loss after a run of wins usually won't crack. A hard-fought loss after a win usually won't. Multiple losses in a row can result in multiple cracks in a row, especially if those losses are blowouts.

There's probably a specific formula for it, based on a mix of your team's score vs the enemy's, your K:D ratio, and time-in-match, plus your recent win/loss record.

So it won't punish you for one bad matchup in a run of wins, and is less likely to ding you if you fought the enemy for every inch. But i could see a shatter in as few as 4-5 losses for certain, and it takes about 3-4 matches to get over the line, so a 50% win rate should barely keep you in the rank you're in, depending on which rank.

For some reason I really doubt they put that much thought into the cracks. Considering you can't even leave a lobby without turning the Switch off, can't lobby with friends, get stuck with three chargers on one team, etc. Doesn't seem to be as much thought put into the design as people think.

shiyrley

Banned
Did anyone order the pilot goggles from the app earlier? Or does anyone have plot goggles with Swim Speed Up? If so add me: SW-4050-1462-9445

Then we play one turf war and you will appear in my plaza and I'll be able to order it. :(

True Fire

Getting antsy for the next Splatfest! I'm hoping it's October 7, but I'm suspecting that they're going to start slipping to the middle of the month.

Ogodei

Has anyone here suddenly been getting 'Unstable Connection' warnings? I got several disconnections in a row despite never having this problem before except maybe once every 10 hours.

I've learned that it's mostly on the user's end nowadays. It means your internet speed is choking below the stable threshold for gameplay. Sometimes the problem's on Nintendo's side, but not often, especially not on Splatoon 2.

Are you the only user of your internet?

Branduil

Haha fuck your bullshit. Had a disconnect right at the start of Wave 1, Grillers in wave 2, only one squid standing multiple times in wave 3, still fucking won

DKdHvWMVoAACxi5.jpg:large

Branduil

2 fucking games in a row where the game programmers have decided I'm not allowed to win. First with high tide griller bullshit, second with goldie seeking bullshit.

Marooner's Bay is quickly becoming my most hated map.

Branduil

Holy shit 3rd fucking game in a row ruined by special event bullshit. The programmers for this game are evil and deserve all the worst things in life.

Koren

First with high tide griller bullshit
High tide griller is quite easy as long as people know how to play... More than low tide because you get access to grillers earlier.

I don't understand how you can be annoyed by this game so much and still play it, especially with randoms ;)

Koren

For some reason I really doubt they put that much thought into the cracks. Considering you can't even leave a lobby without turning the Switch off, can't lobby with friends, get stuck with three chargers on one team, etc. Doesn't seem to be as much thought put into the design as people think.
I'm pretty sure it's basically this:

- A counter 0-100 for the bar (that you see directly)
- A counter 0-100 for the cracks (that is displayed partly with cracks)

Cracks appears when you reach specific parts of the second counter: something like >30, >60 and 100 (with "danger" appearing when you're above e.g. 90)

For each map, if you win, you increase the first counter, if you lose, you increase the other one.

The amount of increase each counter depend on your "score", the one of your teammates, and the ones of the ennemies, which is hidden (similar to what is displayed during splatfests... it's computed, because you have an estimation at the beginning).

This score is based on the previous win/loss, scores, possibly level, so they do have an influence, though not directly.

I believe (but I don't have proof) that if your score is above your teammates and you loose, the game will suppose you're not responsible much for the lose, and you'll fill the second counter slowly. But if you win, you'll fill the first one faster.

This way, people that are better than their current rank (think a good player still in B), they'll have a high hidden score, get paired with people with lower score, so they'll rank faster and barely ever crack.

After some time, you'll have roughly homogeneous scores in a rank. Loose a couple matchs, you'll fall below average score, and thus the crack counter will fill faster. That explain easily how consecutive lose cracks, but consecutive wins avoid cracks on an isolated loss.

It's hard to explain, but it's really, really basic to implement, so I'm convinced it's something like this.

It was basically the same in S1, I believe.

Two koshien finals today.

RGx4 vs. RGx2, splattershot, sloshing machine

and

RGx2, splattershot, sloshing machine vs. RGx2, splattershot, sloshing machine

lol

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
the area to the right of the spawn on Marooner's Bay is known simply as "Death Area" when calling out enemy locations in our games

most wipes happen there.

Koren

If you have a team of perfect gods, maybe.
I'm not a god myself ^_^

Seriously, while 21 is hard, and 24 probably a big feat, 16-18 is definitively a doable objective, and if you get a 16+ requirement, people should be up to the task. The AI of the griller is kinda stupid, by using ledges, you can really basically stop them on the spot.

As soon as the griller target someone who doesn't know how to play in a 16+ wave, you're fucked though.

Branduil

I'm not a god myself ^_^

Seriously, while 21 is hard, and 24 probably a big feat, 16-18 is definitively a doable objective, and if you get a 16+ requirement, people should be up to the task. The AI of the griller is kinda stupid, by using ledges, you can really basically stop them on the spot.

As soon as the griller target someone who doesn't know how to play in a 16+ wave, you're fucked though.

I complete maybe one out of twenty griller waves at high levels. As soon as one person goes down you're fucked. It's just absurdly difficult compared to any other wave(except Goldie Seeking when the RNG screws you).

Koren

I complete maybe one out of twenty griller waves at high levels. As soon as one person goes down you're fucked. It's just absurdly difficult compared to any other wave(except Goldie Seeking when the RNG screws you).
I used to think it was one of the hardest ones, and dreaded those, but now I think it's one of the easiest (or at least less random) with people that know how to handle it (which happens far more at >230x than at 200x, but people seems to improve).

If people goes down when there's 2 grillers, yes, that's bad. But it should be a wave where noone should be killed. You basically have only two threats: grillers that doesn't move, and smallfry that is only dangerous if you don't pay attention.

The basic idea is: griller follow the shortest route to its target. If you're the target, stay at a point where there's two routes of equal length, and move slightly each side on a regular basis. Griller will stop.

The only thing is you need to be creative where there's two, or rather kill them quickly.

-shadow-

Three matches on Kelpdome Rainmaker, not a single one a knockout. What an absolute mess of a stage for this mode!

I freakin love it!

Top Bottom