• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Americans - S4 of the KGB spy drama - Keri Russell & Matthew Rhys - Wed on FX

Mindlog

Well that started and ended with a bang. The introduction felt a little like a catharsis about the show's emmy woes. The teaser felt a little like a BUCKLE UP MOTHERFUCKERS WE GOIN' in reference to the fact that we should be firmly strapped in because shit is confirmed to be on.

MoxManiac

Watched a bunch of this (season 3) as my girlfriend was watching it.

It seems like a good show but the scene where Keri's character forces the old woman to overdose was disturbing and heartbreaking. Really made me hate the two main characters and am hoping they get whats coming to them. Will probably watch season 4.

TripOpt55

Great premiere. The acting on this show is superb. The first scene with Phil and Martha was especially great. Really liked Dylan Baker in The Good Wife. Looking forward to seeing him some more in this show. I did forget a little where we left off with everyone. Should have peeked in here before the episode for Cornballer's character by character refresh.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
That ending was ominous as fuck. The Martha character went from being a gag to extremely interesting. I can't imagine the show without her now.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Goddamn it's nice to have my favorite show back.

This season looks like it's going to be super intense. Everyone is in so fucking deep at this point. They're so vulnerable.

Sober

Jesus Christ the entire episode was intense. Glad we've got the show back, I was wondering why my butt was not as strong at clenching as it is the rest of the year.

I mean other than Henry buying cologne I guess.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I guess I'm weird. This show has always sounded extremely interesting to me. I don't see why it struggles to reach an audience. Russian spies living in America acting as a normal family is a fascinating concept.

I don't get it either. The premise is so different and exciting, that I can't see how so many people could be so put off by it.

CoolOff

* Sandra's nametag was a bit lol. SandRa

* Tatiana's hair was on point.

* Can someone remind me who the chick Stan hooked up with is?

IronRinn

It took me a bit to remember who Tori was as well.

First episode was good, especially that opening scene with Martha, though it definitely felt like a check in and see what everyone is up to sort of thing (except for Henry. No screen time for Henry, just people throwing shade over his fragrance choices.) Not quite as strong as last season's opening, but still good. Alison Wright did some grade A work in this one. I'm looking forward to her expanded role. Some good wigs (and a beard). And hey, the guy playing William the bioweapon dude is that guy who's in stuff when they want an abrasive nerdy guy. Will be interesting to see how that whole thing plays out especially because of the implication that this has been going on behind the backs of people who are usually in the know.

Also, Nina has a husband!? *jarring chord* Is Philip and Stan's bromance over for good!? *jarring chord* Henry!? *jarring chord*

Should be a tense season for sure.

Ristifer

I adore this show. Nice, tense premiere. I just love all the little things that you can notice, like how Martha moves away from Clark a bit when he's about to sit on the bed beside her. He just hesitates and sits on the edge of the bed to face her.

Rhys' acting is tremendous. I love that this was a Philip-centric premiere, since he was pretty much left without an outlet to express himself at the end of S3. Not sure if that transition to this season was done purposely or not but knowing Fields and Weisberg, it most likely was.

Can't wait to see more.

The first Slate podcast is up:

- The Creators and Stars of The Americans Discuss the Season 4 Premiere
In this installment about the Season 4 premiere, “Glanders,” stars Keri Russell and Matthew Rhys stop by for a quick conversation about the beginning of the season. Then writers/executive producers Joel Fields and Joe Weisberg share tricks for disguising Russell's baby bump on camera, the themes they hope to hit on in upcoming episodes, and the unique challenges of writing a season premiere.

IronRinn

Reading the AV Club review, I never made the connection that the vial contained Ebola. And, yeah, I thought Nina's husband was just a lie she told to get her cellmate to open up to her.

It took me a bit to remember who Tori was as well.

First episode was good, especially that opening scene with Martha, though it definitely felt like a check in and see what everyone is up to sort of thing (except for Henry. No screen time for Henry, just people throwing shade over his fragrance choices.) Not quite as strong as last season's opening, but still good. Alison Wright did some grade A work in this one. I'm looking forward to her expanded role. Some good wigs (and a beard). And hey, the guy playing William the bioweapon dude is that guy who's in stuff when they want an abrasive nerdy guy. Will be interesting to see how that whole thing plays out especially because of the implication that this has been going on behind the backs of people who are usually in the know.

Also, Nina has a husband!? *jarring chord* Is Phillip and Stan's bromance over for good!? *jarring chord* Henry!? *jarring chord*

Should be a tense season for sure.

The bioweapon dude I'm pretty certain is Dr. Connors from spiderman 2 and 3. I couldn't remember Stan's new bang stick either. Poor Stan. Wants Nina and his ex and can't have either. He will probably being eyeing philip up much more closely now.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Reading the AV Club review, I never made the connection that the vial contained Ebola.
The vial doesn't contain Ebola. That's just the reviewer making an argument that the things humanity probably needs to fear most are things that aren't newsmakers.

The most relevant sections on Glanders from Wikipedia:
Biological warfare use[edit]
Due to the high mortality rate in humans and the small number of organisms required to establish infection, B. mallei is regarded as a potential biological warfare or bioterrorism agent, as is the closely related organism, B. pseudomallei, the causative agent of melioidosis. During World War I, glanders was believed to have been spread deliberately by German agents to infect large numbers of Russian horses and mules on the Eastern Front.[4] Other agents attempted to introduce the disease in the United States and Argentina. This had an effect on troop and supply convoys, as well as on artillery movement, which were dependent on horses and mules. Human cases in Russia increased with the infections during and after WWI. The Japanese deliberately infected horses, civilians, and prisoners of war with B. mallei at the Pinfang (China) Institute during World War II.

The U.S. studied this agent as a possible biological weapon in 1943–44, but did not weaponize it. U.S. interest in glanders (agent LA) continued through the 1950s, except it had an inexplicable tendency to lose virulence in the lab, making it difficult to weaponize. The Soviet Union is also believed to have been interested in B. mallei as a potential agent after World War II.

Before the Battle of Blenheim in 1704, glanders may have afflicted and greatly diminished the horses of Marshal Tallard's cavalry, helping the Duke of Marlborough win the battle.

Vaccine research[edit]
No vaccine is licensed for use in the US. Infection with either of these bacteria results in nonspecific symptoms and can be either acute or chronic, impeding rapid diagnosis. The lack of a vaccine for either bacterium also makes them potential candidates for bioweaponization. Together with their high rate of infectivity by aerosols and resistance to many common antibiotics, both bacteria have been classified as category B priority pathogens by the US NIH and US CDC, which has spurred a dramatic increase in interest in these microorganisms. Attempts have been made to develop vaccines for these infections, which would not only benefit military personnel, a group most likely to be targeted in an intentional release, but also individuals who may come in contact with glanders-infected animals or live in areas where melioidosis is endemic.

Top Bottom