• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SmileBASIC |OT| Creating and sharing retro games in 3D, on the go!

ZMbNAsY.png

Platform: Nintendo 3DS
Developer: SmileBoom Co.Ltd.
Publisher: SmileBoom Co.Ltd.
Genre: Edutainment
Players: 1-4
Release Dates/Prices:
  • Japan: November 29, 2014 (¥1000)
  • North America: October 15, 2015 ($9.99 USD / $12.99 CAD)
  • Europe: TBD
SmileBASIC Official Website

XBvmsEU.png

Whether you're a 3DS user who's interested in dabbling in coding and making your own games, a seasoned programmer who likes to push your limits, or you just want to experience the creativity of a small homebrew community (without hacking your 3DS), SmileBASIC is made for you!

Inspired by the BASIC programming languages of decades past, SmileBASIC provides a simple way to write your own programs for 3DS. It has many helpful tools in place for making games, like displaying sprites and backgrounds (with 3D depth!), as well as playing BGM and sound effects (which you can create using MML, from General MIDI instrument samples to retro square waves). There is also a built-in library of graphics and music you can use freely if you want to quickly prototype without creating your own assets, or focus on the programming rather than the creative side of things.

Let me reiterate that SmileBASIC is a fully-featured programming language. You won't be coddled by drag-and-drop functionality, but instead you get to use the fundamentals of computer programming, like variables, arrays, strings, control flow, subroutines, and so on. Unlike its DSiWare predecessor Petit Computer, SmileBASIC has more of the features you'd expect from a modern programming language, like user-defined functions (optionally shared between multiple program files), local variables, while loops, multi-line if/then/else statements, and both integers and floating-point numbers. SmileBoom even included sample programs demonstrating the usage of each of the different BASIC functions.

xPZrlp9.png

SmileBoom is hosting their own servers for cloud backup and sharing of your files. When you want to share one of your files or folders you've uploaded, you generate a public key that you can post anywhere you like (such as Miiverse, a wiki, this thread, or your mother's email address). Whoever uses the key with their own copy of SmileBASIC can download and try your game, and even learn from or improve your code. Also, cloud sharing is not region locked, so have fun sharing around the world!

Each user has 10 slots to upload either a file or a folder, and each slot is limited to 4MB of storage (which is plenty for all but the most ambitious projects). However, SmileBoom also offers a Gold server subscription that lets you use up to 100 slots of 20MB each (effectively up to 2GB of space). Note, however, that your local storage on the 3DS is limited only by the space on your SD card.

IxlQyxb.png

1. How do we write programs?
    Use the touchscreen keyboard! That may sound a bit cumbersome, but it's not too hard to get used to. Plus, there's auto-complete for BASIC commands.
  2. What kind of inputs are available for use in programs?
    SmileBASIC has support for almost every kind of input available to the 3DS. The buttons, Circle Pad, touchscreen, gyroscope, microphone, and Circle Pad Pro are all available for programs to use. The cameras are not usable, though, but at least that means screenshots are shareable on Miiverse!
  3. What's this whole "3D" business? Can we render polygons, or is it just 3D Classics style graphics?
    It's more in the 3D Classics style, where you can draw objects at different levels of depth (in planes parallel to the screen). These depth levels also double as draw priority in 2D mode. You can generally scale and rotate objects as much as you want, as well. Some of the classic "fake 3D" tricks may be possible to pull off if you're clever enough...
  4. Is SmileBASIC New 3DS enhanced?
    Actually, yes! Programs will tend to run around 3 times faster on a New 3DS, and your code can even detect which model it's running on. Of course, the extra triggers and C Stick are also usable.
  5. I see that this supports 1-4 players. What does that mean, and is there online play? What about Download Play?
    Unfortunately, multiplayer functionality is available only over local play, each 3DS running its own copy of SmileBASIC. Personally, I can't see these features getting much use, but it's nice that they're available.
  6. Is SmileBASIC compatible with Petit Computer (DSiWare) programs?
    No, it isn't, because of the many changes SmileBoom made to the language and functionality. Plus there is no QR scanning functionality through which to import the programs.
  7. Where is the European release?!
    2015.10.13 Update "We are considering the European release aggressively and will make an announcement once we made a decision."
  8. Any chance of this coming out on Wii U?
    Yes! SmileBoom has announced a port for Wii U with placeholder name Petit Computer BIG (no western plans announced at this point, but the translation already existing should make it a no-brainer). It's supposed to share the same cloud servers as the 3DS version, so feel free to double dip and share your creations when it comes out!

5HTqtp1.png

y8XFcsh.png

Coming soon!

RCVn7Tm.png

Official Resources:
English Fan Resources:

Anilusion

How do you create assets (sprites, sound effects, music etc.)? Can you do it in the software itself or do you have to import them from somewhere?

How do you create assets (sprites, sound effects, music etc.)? Can you do it in the software itself or do you have to import them from somewhere?

You create graphics in the software itself. They include some editing tools (I believe it's part of the SMILE TOOL, if I recall).

Here's one of the screenshots from the eShop:
dNwdYd5.jpg

As for music, I know you can write it manually using MML, which is pretty simple if you know anything about sheet music (note names and lengths). I'm not sure if there are any graphical tools included for it, though. I'm sure fans in Japan have already created some music tools, which is one of the cool things about being able to write your own programs.

Peltz

Damn... I just can't see myself using a touchscreen to type out code. Hope a lot of good comes from this though.

It's almost here~

Also, I think I have to mention again that there seems to be several ways to get programs onto SB from PC, using audio. If it works out, then I'd encourage bringing attention to them, since there are a bunch of people who would gloss over the game otherwise.

Anilusion

It's almost here~

Also, I think I have to mention again that there seems to be several ways to get programs onto SB from PC, using audio. If it works out, then I'd encourage bringing attention to them, since there are a bunch of people who would gloss over the game otherwise.

Are you saying I could write my game on my PC and then transfer it to this?

Are you saying I could write my game on my PC and then transfer it to this?
Yeah - for instance:

Petit Editor

I think the transfer method relies on the fact that you can read in audio data from the microphone (MICSTART, MICSTOP, MICDATA) - using the microphone, or an aux cable plugged in to the jack on 3DS, you could transfer anything that you can encode as an audio signal. Something like dialup, I suppose.

The main disadvantage here would be transfer speeds, but that can be mitigated with good compression based on the type of data being transferred.

In my opinion, it sounds like a neater idea than scanning 100 QR codes or something :)

Refyref

I'm definitely getting this tomorrow. I love seeing what communities can do with limited tools like this. I'll probably mostly mess around with it, myself.

OmegaFax

Interested in this but I don't know how to program. This might be a nice way to start. Planned on getting this to see what other people come up with.

Oooh this looks like a fun little thing to poke around in, any examples of what it can do? :)
Check the second video in the OP, which is an advertisement for a collection of programs from one of SmileBoom's contests that was released as a standalone app for 300 yen.

I think SmileBoom said they would be doing another contest after the worldwide release, but I couldn't say whether they'll release a collection like that over here. Either way, if you own SmileBASIC you can probably just download them directly.

PsionBolt

Finally! This is fantastic!

Geez, between this, RPG Maker MV, and the recent sale on the Game Maker Android module, there's suddenly a ridiculous spread of convenient options for hobbyist handheld development. Gone are the days of struggling with PSP homebrew dev!

I can't wait to get started. I mean, I actually can and will, because I'm far too busy right now to take on another game project, but figuratively I can't wait! I've been super hyped for this tool since it was first revealed what feels like decades ago.

Looking forward to seeing what masterpieces GAF and others can come up with!

Camjo-Z

This looks really cool. I have hardly any knowledge of programming, but I didn't understand music sequencing either when I got KORG M01D and that's become my most-played 3DS game, so I think I'll definitely be getting this once I can connect to wi-fi next month.

Great that this is finally getting out there---though I somehow entirely missed that a BIG version is even going to be a thing? Crazy good times abound.

adroit

Thanks for the great OT. I didn't know about a possible Wii U version either. It would be great to be able to use the wireless Logitech keyboard I bought for the Wii years ago. I should test that keyboard with the Wii U to see what (if anything) supports it.

Tried out some of the preinstalled programs/games, I didn't think there would be a first person dungeon crawler on here heh. I was planning on making one on here.

Got it! Uploaded a project, I think. But I can't seem to find any other uploaded projects. Anyone want to try downloading and see if they see mine?

Edit oh it has to be reviewed? Blah.

Can someone see if it can be downloaded using key 83C3EH4

Got it! Uploaded a project, I think. But I can't seem to find any other uploaded projects. Anyone want to try downloading and see if they see mine?

Edit oh it has to be reviewed? Blah.

Can someone see if it can be downloaded using key 83C3EH4
It says its not currently open to the public/incorrect key, and Im sure I put it in right.

BiggNife

I feel like the joke of Dr. Hakase is kinda lost when it's not translated as Dr. Professor, which is basically what it means in Japanese

But yeah, I'm really curious about possibly trying this. Playing Mario Maker made me release I enjoy creating things.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
This BASIC looks quite complete, alas no peek/poke commands (in the documentation), so no chance at running machine-language code. Or is there?

I have a feeling us Europeans are going to be waiting along time for this one. Also this thread reminds me, anything cool happening/happened in the calculator scene recently? I vaguely recall something about a SNES emulator being ported to the nspire cx but not entirely sure.

blu

Nah, Nintendo would obviously reject that.
They don't necessarily have to, depending on how robust a sandbox they could provide. Oh well, just some wild positivism tonight.

They don't necessarily have to, depending on how robust a sandbox they could provide. Oh well, just some wild positivism tonight.
Well, the entire point of PEEK and POKE is to exit the sandbox. At any rate, if they do release a Wii U version then it would be incredibly hard to preserve compatibility if they allow too much low-level stuff.

JoshGrilli

Neo Member
Been having a lot of fun messing around with it so far. Haven't made anything worth sharing yet, but I'm prob going to have to really read the manual and mess around for a while. Never having thought on a coding level my brain feels like it's melting sometimes trying to figure things out. It's fun though.

Umibozu

spent a few hours looking for public keys yesterday with no luck :(
the only ones I was able to find were from the japanese smilebasic website: a keyboard program, synth program, and a blackjack game

I made a little soundest thing for my own benefit, but I figured I'd upload it. Using it to be able to discover what sound effects or music file numbers I want to use.

Public key: Q3K3S36D

For Arrested Development fans, here's my version of GOB's program: Q3C3E3H4

This is really taking me back to my qbasic days.

VandalD

I made a little soundest thing for my own benefit, but I figured I'd upload it. Using it to be able to discover what sound effects or music file numbers I want to use.

Public key: Q3K3S36D

For Arrested Development fans, here's my version of GOB's program: Q3C3E3H4

This is really taking me back to my qbasic days.
That's funny. I ended up doing a similar sound testy thing while trying to get a handle on coding. Maybe next time I'll make something resembling a game. It's good to start slow though with this kind of thing. The last time I coded anything was like 15 years ago in QBasic or a Texas Instruments calculator.

Here's the public key if anyone wants to check out my little program. Maybe it'll help some fellow beginners. QK4KNJKY

@MUWANdo

Banned
Smileboom made several big announcements today: http://smileboom.com/press/20151017petitcom/

-"Solid Gunner", a game previously only available as part of the paid standalone "Petit Computer Magazine" compilation, is now publicly available (JD2EE2QV). This game was made by members of 8bits fanatics, the Japanese indie devs behind 1001 Spikes.

-They'll be holding another programming contest which will be open to both Japanese and North American entries; there's a themed category (ninja!), a non-gaming app category and a "make whatever you want" category and as with the last contest, the best entries will be compiled into a standalone "magazine" release on the eShop.

-Smileboom is collaborating with Bandai-Namco to allow users to legally create games using 17 classic Namco IP, as part of BNGI's "Open IP Catalogue" indie initiative; you'll need to purchase a paid update in order to play/upload games made for this initiative and due to the terms of the license it will not be available outside of Japan. It'll launch alongside the 3.3 software update.

-They'll be releasing an "advanced sound unit" as paid DLC that contains several features I won't even attempt to translate (one is streamed audio via WAV, it seems). Again, it'll be available alongside the 3.3 software update and cost 500 yen.

-Petit Computer BIG! for Wii U has been officially announced, with an estimated "spring 2016" release date in Japan. It'll support USB keyboard as well as the gamepad & wiimote, and it'll be backwards-compatible with all your 3DS programs, so you can program your games on 3DS them play them on TV or code more comfortably via Wii U.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
-Petit Computer BIG! for Wii U has been officially announced, with an estimated "spring 2016" release date in Japan. It'll support USB keyboard as well as the gamepad & wiimote, and it'll be backwards-compatible with all your 3DS programs, so you can program your games on 3DS them play them on TV or code more comfortably via Wii U.

That's amazing news. I'll get that.

blu

Screw 3ds compatibility, I want peek/poke, dammit!

: /

Top Bottom