• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Bull CEO outlines pro-Trump, anti-refugee beliefs in interview

Status
Not open for further replies.

orhnsnmz

Well he kinda sounds like any other conservative old man who fears of losing his values and traditions, which is stupid in itself.

It also seems like he mostly gets his opinion-building information from rather conservative (not to say right-wing) outlets. I don't think he has first-hand experience with anything refugee-related, lol.

.. and I (as grandchild of a Turkish immigrant in Germany) think he's partially right about the "refugee according to the Geneva convention" thing, which could have been handled better by the EU right from the start of the crisis.

A huge portion of refugees that you see and interact with every day in Germany are clearly people who used the opportunity to move to a country where they can live a much more comfortable life (before anything else), no one can deny that. And there is also absolutely nothing wrong about people being opportunistic here, everyone would've done the same in the same circumstances.

But that convention was also established for a reason, so I guess a lot of conservative people cry foul because a lot of refugees did not "play by the rules" and the Austrian and German politicians just let it happen.

I can understand the frustration with that, but after having read the whole interview, I still can't decide whether he is just one of that frustrated bunch or whether he is one of the fear-mongering idiots.

charsace

I wonder how many people will read this and still keep giving this guy money?

I will never drink another red bull again.

The "explanation" in the OP doesn't really make the CEO's stance seem less pro trump, IMO. Honestly it sounded like a man who supports Trump but isn't stupid enough to openly say it like the Under Armor CEO.

I wonder how many people will read this and still keep giving this guy money?

I will never drink another red bull again.

It's going to be a hard habit to break.

A few months ago I had to work really late one night. I thought "I'll get me an energy drink." I bought a red bull because I thought I would hate it and wouldn't want to drink them in the future but would get me through the night.

Turns out that I did like it and now I'm bloody addicted to the things.

Doikor

The "explanation" in the OP doesn't really make the CEO's stance seem less pro trump, IMO. Honestly it sounded like a man who supports Trump but isn't stupid enough to openly say it like the Under Armor CEO.

I think it more that he is a citizen of Austria not the US and thus really doesn't have much of a stake in the president of US. As in it doesn't make any practical difference to him if he supports Trump or not and thus he doesn't really have an opinion on the matter. Here in Europe we have had this anti-immigrant right wing going on long before we even had the first rumours of Trump running for president.

paskowitz

Based in my limited understanding of German, mods should change the title. DM to start conservative or nationalist media company in Austria. Is against immigration. Something like that. He never says "I support Trump".

I think it more that he is a citizen of Austria not the US and thus really doesn't have much of a stake in the president of US. As in it doesn't make any practical difference to him if he supports Trump or not and thus he doesn't really have an opinion on the matter. Here in Europe we have had this anti-immigrant right wing going on long before we even had the first rumours of Trump running for president.

How much businesses does redbull have in the US? He has plenty stake.

dakun

just read the original interview since it was in German.

What he says is not half as bad as this thread makes out to believe. It certainly isn't pro-Trump. It's not very anti-Trump either.

His anti-refugee comments are rather "mild" compared to what is out there. His main point seems to be about how politicians mishandled the situation. But yes he does sound like a grumpy old man who thinks most who come here are not real refugees. Clearly misinformed about the situations.

This thread though is something else. Calling him a fascist and posting pics of the Swastika nicely reflects the downward spiral GAF has took in the last few months.

Toxi

Banned
Then the interviewer asks him, on what points would you follow Trump? To which Mateschitz answers that he doubts Trump ever realistically thought he could build a wall on the Mexican border,
I feel like you could make a book out of the various "Trump doesn't actually believe this" quotes.

Icolin

Banned
Keita to leave RB Leipzig after this season.

Hopefully he comes to Liverpool.

What he says is not half as bad as this thread makes out to believe. It certainly isn't pro-Trump. It's not very anti-Trump either.

His anti-refugee comments are rather "mild" compared to what is out there. His main point seems to be about how politicians mishandled the situation. But yes he does sound like a grumpy old man who thinks most who come here are not real refugees. Clearly misinformed about the situations.

This thread though is something else. Calling him a fascist and posting pics of the Swastika nicely reflects the downward spiral GAF has took in the last few months.
Agreed.

rjinaz

Usually only drink energy drinks during a day of drinking. Like red bull and vodka. Won't be doing that anymore, there are other options.

Xisiqomelir

He criticized a high-profile Belgian official for implying that "countries with homogeneous cultures should vanish from the face of the earth."

That is revolting. Our unique, distinct cultures are what enrich our collective human existence.

I don't blame Mateschitz for slamming this Belgian guy.

Dingens

apparently some people are very keen on pressing complex issues into easy to understand black and white categories. sadly reality (outside the US) isn't that simpel - and this cast isn't either

[...]
But that convention was also established for a reason, so I guess a lot of conservative people cry foul because a lot of refugees did not "play by the rules" and the Austrian and German politicians just let it happen.[...]

I'll never understand the "just let it happen" or "invited them" "argument". boarders aren't physical things, but that seemingly hard to understand for right wingers.

Form wiki:

Of course his family are inmigrants..

everyone in Austria is a "migrant" in some shape or form
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multinational_state#Austria-Hungary

PillarEN

That's pretty light for a 72 year old European. Most oldies here are very hateful towards any kinds of immigrants. Can barely even deal with their country neighbors half of the time.
Red Bull is probably full of people who are pro Trump and anti-Trump. Massive company.

Even if this old guy was some extra hateful curmudgeon I'd still enjoy things like Digging in the Carts.

Am I the only one who unironically thinks that stuff is delicious?

Red Bull not so much. Some Monster flavors sure. That's just the two most mainstream companies out there though. I'm sure if I was more than just a can a month/2 weeks guy I'd be able to find certain flavors that I'd enjoy a lot.

Stasis

I appreciate the occasional red bull when I'm real tired and on the go for a long day of whatever outside activity. Usually in the summer. I'll buy like 6 a year max I'd guess. I do genuinely like the taste. There are others I like here (Montreal) so I'll be switching to those. Sometimes I do anyway.

A 70 something year old billionaire though... I mean, I'm against it and will easily boycott but I'm zero surprised someone like this would have those beliefs.

Aiii

So not worth it

Yep. The strangest thing about this is that Mateschitz actually calls out the people in this thread for precisely that reason. The black-and-white view. The immediate attack on anyone with an opposing view. He literally says this is what happens nowadays and then here we go, one badly translated article later...

Red Bull not so much. Some Monster flavors sure. That's just the two most mainstream companies out there though. I'm sure if I was more than just a can a month/2 weeks guy I'd be able to find certain flavors that I'd enjoy a lot.

I mean Red Bull Cola, which isn't an energy drink. Just their take on cola. Literally everyone I know hates it.
It reminds me of something, a nostalgic feeling, not sure why, maybe some brand I enjoyed as a kid?
Normal cola does nothing like that.

PillarEN

I mean Red Bull Cola, which isn't an energy drink. Just their take on cola. Literally everyone I know hates it.
It reminds me of something, a nostalgic feeling, not sure why, maybe some brand I enjoyed as a kid?
Normal cola does nothing like that.

Oh I wasn't even aware they made non-energy drinks. I like coke in general. The differences from brand to brand don't really impact me like they do you. Maybe Pepsi is too sweet. But even then if it's a hot day it's still refreshing to me.

Budi

I was ready to say that it's good I never liked Red Bull. Which is true and I'm not going to start now, but the interpretation by Aiii doesn't sound that horrible. I get that anything said about Trump can/will be taken as support when it's not clearly and strictly just calling the dude as piece of shit that he is.

Also havent heard about this Resident Advisor site before, not sure it's something we should be getting news like this from? It's a site for electronic music afterall, not journalistic outlet.

In case you are now looking for alternative energy drink, try this if it's available in your region!

original_33cl-sq.jpg

Oh I wasn't even aware they made non-energy drinks. I like coke in general. The differences from brand to brand don't really impact me like they do you. Maybe Pepsi is too sweet. But even then if it's a hot day it's still refreshing to me.

The difference is much bigger than Pepsi-Coke, I'd say. Maybe I'm wrong, but I feel like there is something really different going on with their weird, "all-natural cola".

On topic, good thing it's super overpriced just like their energy drink, which means I'm basically boycotting Red Bull by default.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom