• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Biggest fail in news reporting?

Status
Not open for further replies.
CNN getting Obamacare SC verdict wrong.

If they had read just a bit more they would have realized that the mandate was upheld. But in their hurry to be first they fucked it up.

SteveWD40

pp-hillsborough-sun-front.jpg

Came to post this.

StayDead

There was the time British broadcaster ITV launched its new flagship documentary series Exposure with a hard-hitting look at the links between the IRA and Gaddafi, featuring footage of a helicopter getting shot down by Libyan weapons that would be sold to the IRA.

Problem was that the footage was from the video game ARMA. ITV took the episode down and claimed the real footage had accidentally been swapped with an identical clip from a video game somehow and they would reupload the real thing. I don't think they ever did.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2011/sep/27/ira-footage-video-game-itv

Hah, I remember this.

I would say another is the phone hacking scandal led by none other than (IIRC) the Daily Mail.

Joni

Hah, I remember this.

I would say another is the phone hacking scandal led by none other than (IIRC) the Daily Mail.

News of the World. Daily Mail might have done so as well, but they had little to do with the major scandal as it was perpetrated by News Corp. The Murdochs are not allowed to own all the evil newspaper yet.

It's not a fail exactly, but I couldn't take the Chilean miners rescue seriously when Sky News had the goddamn Lemmings '1 of 10 Lemmings rescued' counter at the top of the screen.

johnny-barrios.jpg

boiled goose

good with gravy
Iraq war.

Complete failure. Outlets beating the drums of war.

Over 50 percent of Americans thought Sadam was involved in 911. This misinformation should have been blasted every day.

This is why I don't trust the NYT. Such a failure represents they serve other interests other than the truth.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
This happened in Greece a few days ago. Our TV sucks as much as everyone's but i think we get the trophy of incompetence with this one. Unless you know of a worse example (good luck with that).

There is this movie "The Interview", a satire/comedy that has a scene with a North Korean girl singing some vile shit about America in some kind of public event. So our awesome reporters saw the scene somewhere and.... they thought it was real. Without checking if it is indeed real or not, they reported it in the news anyway.

Couldn't find a video with this one report alone but i found the whole news report, skip to around 1:07:40

https://vimeo.com/214061729

I just love how shocked these people are by this. They talk about "hate speech" and how "they use a little girl to spread their hate to people", etc. Now, it could be some kind of propaganda. And it's not like something Kim wouldn't do. But even then it would still be amazingly stupid because this movie is somewhat known and recent enough. But i doubt it. It's just reporters who don't give a shit.

Did they address it or apologize for the mistake in any future bulletins ?

nkarafo

Did they address it or apologize for the mistake in any future bulletins ?
I haven't stumbled on anything of that nature yet. I believe they will probably brush it off just like when they showed a fan made Thundercats movie trailer assuming it's a real movie (yes, they did this too but it was in the lifestyle/entertainment section so it wasn't as serious).

There is a satirical show that exposed them on TV as well and the host openly invited the reporters to talk about this. That happened yesterday. So maybe it's not over yet.

zeemumu

Did they ever actually release that paper? The story seems to imply they just printed them when the news came in Truman won.

I think a lot of papers back then would print two different copies and then ship the correct one once they heard the news but they jumped the gun in this case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom