• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Prey 2 cancelled, official statement due next week [Up: ZeniMax: No comment.]

Status
Not open for further replies.
cool. i never thought gearbox actually did any development, just the publishing and possible funding of the completion.

i never looked into the walkthrough videos for this. guess i probably shouldn't then now, in case i accidentally get disappointed.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
cool. i never thought gearbox actually did any development, just the publishing and possible funding of the completion.

i never looked into the walkthrough videos for this. guess i probably shouldn't then now, in case i accidentally get disappointed.
Gearbox is actually making a Duke Nukem game though called Duke Begins. Presumably it's another reboot.

As for Prey 2, this was a good one: www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-2011-prey-2/714962

The game really did look impressive to me.

WhyMe6

Gearbox is actually making a Duke Nukem game though called Duke Begins. Presumably it's another reboot.

As for Prey 2, this was a good one: www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-2011-prey-2/714962

The game really did look impressive to me.

Oh man, I didn't even realise there were gameplay videos for this - I thought there was only the teaser. It looks so good...

It even reminds me of my dream Ghost in the Shell game that I'll never have! :(

Yerolo

If Bethesda do cancel it, it will get picked up by another publisher. It was generating way too much good press for it to go unnoticed by other publishers who would have been licking their lips

LQX

Wow, I wonder why they would cancel it if true. It was said it had nearly nothing in common with the first game but most of the press was positive.

Zeliard

Right, if their goal was really only 1-2 million with a ~$30 average selling point, I wouldn't be very worried.

However, ZeniMax runs fairly big expectations as a publisher. Hopefully they've become more realistic, but then again, games do cost a lot, and this one has been going on for a while.

Were they not dumping/cancelling projects/doing layoffs, I would just assume they'd take the loss on the game, write it off as franchise establishment, and start work on the sequel for next gen hoping for more profitability.

It's just that they actually seem concerned now, which makes me more concerned.

I can't imagine they've become more realistic after Skyrim. :p

Skyrim was a stunning success for them but it's probably their only one as of late other than Fallout 3. However Skyrim did do so incredibly well (10 million shipped WW on top of what must have been significant DD sales through Steam) that I'm curious how much room it bought them to take losses on other projects.

Obviously Prey 2 isn't among those but it may help offset potential losses with titles like Rage and Dishonored, particularly since those come out of internal studios.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I can't imagine they've become more realistic after Skyrim. :p

Skyrim was a stunning success for them but it's probably their only one as of late other than Fallout 3. However Skyrim did do so incredibly well (10 million shipped WW on top of what must have been significant DD sales through Steam) that I'm curious how much room it bought them to take losses on other projects.

Obviously Prey 2 isn't among those but it may help offset potential losses with titles like Rage and Dishonored, particularly since those come out of internal studios.

I imagine it bought them more than enough to keep all their projects and staff going, but that they're doing a bit of a shake-up.

That said, they're starting to advertise Dishonored again, so for now it seems they're positive on the project.

smr00

Banned
Maybe Square will pick it up like they did with True Crime.

Bummer if no one picks it up and it does get cancelled because it was on of the few games i was really looking forward to.

Someone will pick it up, the ideas shown in this game, its too great to just leave on the floor. Someone with a great eye and integrity has to....believe...

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
COME ON MAN, NO!

Give me what I want.

Do you want more Elder Scrolls and Fallouts?

Because I think with all the cancellation going Zenimax and Bethesda will just play safe and focus on that from now and end the little publishing adventure they were doing in the past 4 years.

This makes me presume that the demo they showed really was a "vertical slice" demo than actual gameplay.

Not surprised, all the games that have ripped off Mirror's Edge have never succeeded at it. Bounty hunting? Only Stranger's Wrath and RDR have done it recently, neither an FPS. Open world? This one had too many elements for such a studio, they probably missed milestones or not everything coming together, just like Prey 1's messed up development.

It looked cool, just trying to justify the cancellation if it's for real.

Ryan_IGN

I hope this isn't true, but besides not having seen it in nearly a year, they kept showing the same "vertical slice" over and over (I saw it no less than three times on three different occasions). I'm guessing that if this is true they couldn't build that slice out into a full game...or it was going to take too long to do so and Bethesda pulled the plug.

Fjordson

No fucking way. This looked and sounded amazing. One of the few recent games going for that Blade Runner-esque city for a setting =(

Absolutely terrible news if this is true.

Zeliard

I imagine it bought them more than enough to keep all their projects and staff going, but that they're doing a bit of a shake-up.

That said, they're starting to advertise Dishonored again, so for now it seems they're positive on the project.

Dishonored is also due to come out relatively soon, so I imagine the game is basically finished at this point.

Should have canceled Dishonored.

Don't say such terrible things. Harvey Smith will have his redemption.

Zeliard

How about no? I would have rather them cancel Skyrim if anything. 10 million sold be damned, I want a good game.

Hey now, Skyrim is a solid game. Publishers shouldn't really be cancelling these games, ideally. It starts with better management. They need to start budgeting these things properly, as well as more effectively forecast what they stand to make in profit, so that cancelling them late in development out of fear and concern doesn't become viewed as some necessity.

Muzzy

I was thinking, they can't cancel it because they think it will bomb, not that close to its release date. They would have done it months ago so if it's true it should be for another reason.
I mean it's pretty rare to cancel a game that is almost finished. True Crime HK comes to my mind of course but nothing else recently.

Should have canceled Dishonored.

funny-gifs-car-jumping-failure.gif

Prey 2 nor Dishonored deserve to be cancelled.

How about no? I would have rather them cancel Skyrim if anything. 10 million sold be damned, I want a good game.

When Skyrim was first announced I would have called you crazy, but after playing the game. A more sedentary, pedestrian, shallow bore fest doesn't deserve to exist, but we already knew Bethesda is a garbage level studio on a game play and mechanics basis, combat, dungeon design and ways to engage the player, but no one plays Elder Scrolls games for the game-play anymore, unless you're insane and love rudimentary failures, we play them to get lost and wander. Please don't tell me GAF voted Skyrim as GOTY, can I see that thread?

Metal Gear Solid 4? Mass Effect 2? Now Skyrim?! Jesus H. Christ....

Uggggggghhhhhhh, I was really looking forward to this. The whole "bounty hunter in a cyberpunk setting" hit all the right buttons for me. And it was so rare for me to get excited for a shooter these days. Of course this happens.

TheOddOne

The Prey IP belong to Zenimax I think. I guess we might get a rebranded game out of this, if it is sold to another company.

I don't think I've ever been this down about a cancellation before. Hopefully some rebranding is in order. Blade Runner, Red Dead Red Shift, Space Lone Ranger and his trusty cyborg Tonto. ANYTHING

maybe it's getting reworked to be about Tommy's mission to unite rival interstellar powers to unite against a common foe, an ancient evil with power and technology that hopelessly overwhelms all intergalactic civilizations. Tommy must forge uneasy alliances and lead an army into a huge all out assault against this unstoppable enemy and bring freedom to the countless worlds in despair!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom