• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you think movies will get hit like the malls are?

duxstar

They kind of are near me .... there are 2 movie theaters near me that are so run down , i dont know how they're still open

Unless they can fit a 22 meter wide screen in my home with earth moving subwoofers, I would say no.

that's not the issue.

If a service comes up at a reasonable price where you can rent currently airing movies and watch them from the convenience of your home, many will opt to do that. I know I would.

Only theaters that might survive are those where the movie is only part of the enjoyment, such as Alamo where you can also drink beer/alcohol plus eat delicious food.

Sorcerer

I guess just the sociability aspect keeps it alive (something to do, somewhere to go)
I don't know, for me I am less inclined to go when you know you can pick up a copy in 3 months. Watch it as many times as you want with as many people you actually want to. Plus lots of people don't know how to behave in a theater.

that's not the issue.

If a service comes up at a reasonable price where you can rent currently airing movies and watch them from the convenience of your home, many will opt to do that. I know I would.

Only theaters that might survive are those where the movie is only part of the enjoyment, such as Alamo where you can also drink beer/alcohol plus eat delicious food.

For some, of course it is. Who wants to watch summer blockbusters in your studio apartment?

Vice

I think they will change. I constantly see more and more restaurant-style theaters popping up in California. And, it's a good model. It upgrades the theater experience and is generally more geared toward adults with added revenue (more food sales and alcohol).

zethren

Banned
Some movies you NEED to see on the big screen. Home viewing simply is no substitute in some cases.

Personally I love going to the movies. Everything about it. The excitement before going, getting there and getting hit with the blast of cold AC mixed with the buttery popcorn smells and sounds of the arcade. Entering the dark theater and finding the best seats with you friends, and all of the trailers.

The ritual of going to the movies is just as fun as the movie itself.

Wag

I'm interested to see how much theatrical attendance goes up after Moviepass comes out.

For some, of course it is. Who wants to watch summer blockbusters in your studio apartment?

I think plenty could afford making a surround sound system and getting a nice tv. Enough where malls might only really remain in rural areas. But this is all speculation since we haven't gotten a service for online films that are still airing.

Nipo

The number of theaters will decline. Taking a family of four to an imax movie costs over $100 now add in popcorn drinks and parking and you're near $$125-150, which is too much for most families to do regularly. The number of theaters will consolidate but they will get bigger with larger screens, more immersive sound, and increased ticket prices. Day 1 streaming will become a thing except for big tent pole movies that will still have an exclusive theater run.

More affordable 4k projectors (and potentially VR glasses) will help recreate the theater experience for a lot of people willing in a gap that local small theaters are filling now. The 9.99 movie pass is a bit of a wildcard. If that can catch on and stay affordable it could revitalize theaters but eventually its funding will run out and they'll need to raise prices.

jtb

Banned
No. Isn't BR declining quicker than box office sales? (Which I don't think are delcining at all)

Netflix, et al are fine if you hate watching movies since they seem to have a maximum of ten good films on rotation at any given point of time.

nkarafo

Unless they can fit a 22 meter wide screen in my home with earth moving subwoofers, I would say no.
The audio quality isn't that great. It's just very loud.

The video quality doesn't come close to a decent 1080p TV, let alone 4k. Picture in cinemas is blurry as hell.

You also get other artifacts and annoyances like the sound of munching pop-corn, bad viewing angles if you don't have a seat in the middle, etc. The "22 meters" screen doesn't matter, you will need a very large distance between it and you to be able to watch.

border

Movies are a social activity and shared cultural experience for friends, family and dating partners. Going to the movies with loved ones is almost as common as going out to dinner.

They will almost always have a more important place in our world than traipsing around a collection of overpriced retail stores.

JCX

Plenty of people do when they come on streaming services or Blu Ray. Home has the added convenience of being able to have whatever food you want at cheaper prices, as well as not dealing with rude moviegoers. There will still be a market for the theater experience, but streaming easily can become more popular.

zeemumu

that's not the issue.

But I don't want to watch every movie sitting in my living room. If I had a projector and a big enough wall I'd sit outside at night and do that, I guess.

Haven't been to an actual "indoor" mall since like high school lol.

Dig these kind of outdoor malls though

o.jpg

Have you been to one lately?

I live in a college town, and the mall has an inordinate number of closed-up shops, and it always feels like a ghost town whenever I go there (which isn't often).

I haven't noticed a difference in the two that are near me.

The video quality doesn't come close to a decent 1080p TV, let alone 4k. Picture in cinemas is blurry as hell.

You also get other artifacts and annoyances like the sound of munching pop-corn, bad viewing angles if you don't have a seat in the middle, etc. The "22 meters" screen doesn't matter, you will need a very large distance between it and you to be able to watch.

You go to a shitty theater then.

I wonder how long it'll be til we get simultaneous home releases. It sucks waiting til a movie comes out on bluray to watch it.

Nipo

Movies are a social activity and shared cultural experience for friends, family and dating partners. Going to the movies with loved ones is almost as common as going out to dinner.

They will almost always have a more important place in our world than traipsing around a collection of overpriced retail stores.

But as a shared experience seeing movies in a theater is a terrible one. You aren't supposed to talk, it is dark so you can't really see how anyone is reacting, and your enjoyment of the movie is often ruined by someone texting otherwise disrupting the movie.

Watching a movie together at home with a group of friends then going out to eat/drink and talk about it is just as much a shared experience as sitting next to one another in a theater.

But I don't want to watch every movie sitting in my living room. If I had a projector and a big enough wall I'd sit outside at night and do that, I guess.

and there might be a market that remains for people like you. But for the grand majority of casual movie goers? I guaran-fucking-tee they'd take streaming from home. Convenience beats whatever quality you perceive of the services you like. Some might enjoy shopping outside for clothes, I do most of my shopping from home nowadays,

Once grocery shopping becomes more viable I'm sure I'd do it via amazon as well, I just haven't started yet.

Mindlog

Traditional movie theaters died for me a long time ago. However, an IMAX offering or a place with a nice menu are worth our visit every now and then.
Haven't been to an actual "indoor" mall since like high school lol.

Dig these kind of outdoor malls though
Most of the nicer indoor malls I visit have built those as well.
But as a shared experience seeing movies in a theater is a terrible one.
I actually enjoy it a bit. Some comedies have the audience laughing or giggling through the entire movie and a genuine laugh track is actually quite enjoyable. Other movies like Get Out are very entertaining to watch with different audiences.

Again though theaters for only a few particular experiences including some comedies (haven't seen a good theater comedy in years,) true IMAX and a nice menu/accommodations. Home theater for everything else.

border

Watching a movie together at home with a group of friends then going out to eat/drink and talk about it is just as much a shared experience as sitting next to one another in a theater.

Yet I can't recall the last time I heard of someone being invited over to a house to watch a movie. But I hear people talking all the time about how they went to the theatre to see this or that film with so-and-so. I tend to feel like Netflix has cut deeply into this tradition -- people watching at home are more often going to be binging on episodic TV shows than watching 2-hour films.

What makes the theater distinct is that it actually is an outing. For the girlfriend or significant other that wants to "go out" and "do something", seeing a movie at the theater is a legitimate activity. Sitting on your sofa watching a DVD while your partner plays with their tablet/phone is not.

Clockwork

Nah, with recent changes around here they have become more enticing.

-better food/beverage options (still need to work on pricing though)
-reserved seating
-big reclining seats with lots of room

On top of that, prices actually are not bad (contrary to the IMAX post earlier in the thread). Movies are like 8 bucks for a matinee and 11 or so for regular showing (add $2 or so if 3d). On Tuesdays here any showing is only $5.

The theater experience makes it worth it.

zulux21

malls were mostly made for abusing legal loopholes.
movie theaters were made to show movies.

one was destined to fail when so many people abused it while one will likely continue to be the only way to watch new major movie releases. With social media being so dominate in people's lives anymore, not seeing a movie you want to see as soon as it is out will likely result in some of your friends spoiling it before it gets released on home video. Meaning as long as movie theaters continue to be the only place to watch the newest releases they will continue to be places people go to watch movies.

while I am at it I don't think rabbits will die off like the dodo bird any time soon.

Sobriquet

Try a decent theater?

Hari Seldon

They will unless this moviepass thing or something similar catches on. TV slaughters movies now in terms of my mindshare.

Top Bottom