• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 0811-1317 - Annabelle conjures up #1, Dark Tower Falls

kswiston

So Amazing Spider-Man 2 made $94M in China and $30M in Japan. I think Homecoming could make it to $800M.

$800M is locked. I'm thinking $850-875M.

It's so weird seeing the box office thread devoid of Disney flicks (although I suppose Spider-Man sort of counts on a technicality).

That's what happens when Disney decides to cut back their slate to 7 blockbuster films and a documentary.

look, I have CONSISTENTLY made these threads for almost (over?) 10 years, barring a few bans or work/family related instances where I have asked someone to pitch hit. I started this back when no one gave a flying fuck about weekend box office. And for years I would tell peeps to pm me thread titles or whatever if they wanted to participate. It's all good. But no one cared. Ever. So whatever. I kept at it by myself coming up with a new thread title every week w/o fail. Sometimes I would take a comment someone made that I found interesting or funny and use that. Regardless of the shit I would get.

now, if y'all want to take the reins/responsibility of these threads now that it's a hot/popular topic be my guest and good luck. LOL

how about this: I will take a break from making these threads for a month. And y'all can do whatever you like. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Don't stop man, I adore the silly titles

Chamber

love on your sleeve
$800M is locked. I'm thinking $850-875M.
Again

$117m OW
$322m DOM
$875m WW

GFUzGXe.gif

I legit feel asleep for a good ~10 mins while watching The Dark Tower at the Alamo ($9 tuesday in NYC). It rarely happens. The food and beer was great though.

EDIT: Thread titles make my day, bud. Don't give up!

Just came back from Annabelle. Really good. Guess I should go see the other 3. The ending I guess obviously referred to those films.
I saw a preview screening 3 weeks ago. Audience lost its shit at the end.

I was completely confused lol. I need to see the other 3 as well. Still enjoyed the movie.

GhaleonEB

How does Annabelle fare as a stand alone movie? I haven't seen any of the Conjuring movies, but am in the mood for a horror flick.

Nice to see Baby Driver crack $100m DOM. When it debuted I thought it would do that globally - it's had a great run.

kswiston

How does Annabelle fare as a stand alone movie? I haven't seen any of the Conjuring movies, but am in the mood for a horror flick.

Nice to see Baby Driver crack $100m DOM. When it debuted I thought it would do that globally - it's had a great run.

Baby Driver is actually days away from passing Ghost in the Shell globally.

kswiston

Waiting on the final DOM total, $322m vs $350m.

These good late legs are really dragging things out!

There's like a >90% chance that you will win if $336M is the tipping point though. I don't see how we get another $30M out of a $6.1M weekend. It would need a big re-expansion during labor day, along with some Sony fudging (to get it over SM3's total).

Spider-Man Homecoming is now $1M behind Suicide Squad at this same point in its run. Homecoming is still benefiting from late summer weekdays, but Suicide Squad had a great 17% hold next weekend. I expect Homecoming to edge ahead, but it will be close. I'd say $325-330M final for now. $320M+ is pretty much locked.

Nategc20

Banned
Will the man in black from the dark tower movie appear in The Stand movie?

Cause it would be pretty GOAT to have a Stephen King Cinematic Universe.

Did B-G-E pass out the games yet, or are you and the other guy who nailes the OW still too close to call?

Waiting on the final DOM total, $322m vs $350m.

These good late legs are really dragging things out!

There's like a >90% chance that you will win if $336M is the tipping point though. I don't see how we get another $30M out of a $6.1M weekend. It would need a big re-expansion during labor day, along with some Sony fudging (to get it over SM3's total).

Spider-Man Homecoming is now $1M behind Suicide Squad at this same point in its run. Homecoming is still benefiting from late summer weekdays, but Suicide Squad had a great 17% hold next weekend. I expect Homecoming to edge ahead, but it will be close. I'd say $325-330M final for now. $320M+ is pretty much locked.
Yep! It was initially Bobby's $309M vs LordofLore's $320M that was dragging things out, and now there's a very small chance (less than 5%, but still a chance) that Harmen's $354M ends up closer than Chamber's $322M.

At this point I'd rather just wait until the domestic run is basically done so I'll just do that even if next week drops the odds of Chamber coming in second done to basically zero. Also, when we do another contest like this, I'll probably specify predictions need to be made to at least the hundred thousandth.

kswiston

Dunkirk made $14.5M this weekend overseas. Down about 42%. I don't think that there have been any significant opening for a couple weekends now, so we're coasting on holdover business.

Assuming around $70-75M for the rest of Dunkirk's run domestically and overseas in the territories it has already opened with, we'd get a total of $435-440M.

Dunkirk still has openings in Japan, Italy, Greece, and China. It will likely need to grab $60-65M from those 4 to hit $500M.

So $500M is TBD, but very possible. Passing Saving Private Ryan's $481M seems destined to happen.

DMczaf

Dunkirk made $14.5M this weekend overseas. Down about 42%. I don't think that there have been any significant opening for a couple weekends now, so we're coasting on holdover business.

Assuming around $70-75M for the rest of Dunkirk's run domestically and overseas in the territories it has already opened with, we'd get a total of $435-440M.

Dunkirk still has openings in Japan, Italy, Greece, and China. It will likely need to grab $60-65M from those 4 to hit $500M.

So $500M is TBD, but very possible. Passing Saving Private Ryan's $481M seems destined to happen.

but...the streak...

BumRush

Xaos' titles always make me smile.

On-topic, I think this year has more underperformers than any year I can think of

xaosslug

ww chart added

aside: it all started as me just wanting to "contribute" to the forum in some meagre way and seeing an empty spot to fill. I can understand and see that Box Office GAF is sooooooo much bigger than just me. I'm glad peeps have a place to chill and chat. I'm sorry about the bad thread title(s). This one in particular was probably too vulgar. I apologize.

i can/will keep making the threads unless (i get banned or die or something, LOL) peeps object. It's all good.

<3 y'all! :)

People are overestimating IT. I mean it should have no trouble clearing the record for the best opening for a horror movie, but 70 million? I don't see it.

IT has a good shot at opening between $55 to $60 million which should make it pass Paranormal Activity 3 as the best opening for a horror movie. Although in the case of horror movies, they tend to be frontloaded so unless IT is another Conjuring-type event of a film, it won't have good legs but should pass $100 million with this opening.

Jigorath

Banned
Is IT going to be one of those movies that does well but doesn't hit people's insane expectations so everyone labels it a flop?

BOGAF gonna make IT this summer's Lego Batman.
To be fair to BOGAF, Lego Batman had received extremely good reviews and was coming hot of the heels of Lego Movie which made a shit ton of money. It was also based on one of the most popular DC Super Hero.

Is IT going to be one of those movies that does well but doesn't hit people's insane expectations so everyone labels it a flop?
IT is being hyped thanks to its huge social media buzz. It remains to be seen if this buzz translates to the box office or not.

Doubt the budget is nowhere near in any territory that no matter what IT cannot be a bomb/flop.

It'll do well. 55M as ceiling is my bet, first weekend.

Alrus

Although when this was a thread that 5 people posted in and it sank to the second or third page by Tuesday, incomprehensible and/or plain old dogshit thread titles from a guy who hasnt' really participated in the discussions he starts ever (and whose forum tag is a pre-cum joke) isn't that weird.

When the Box-Office thread is now consistently pulling 200-300k views and hitting 30-40 pages and is usually on the front page, if not in the top 20 threads at almost every time of the day, it's a bit of a different situation to have one of the most popular/friendly sub-communities on the board wearing one of the most consistently ugly/off-putting titles week-in/week-out.

I mean, I can see the argument.

But then again - it's just a thread title, I guess.

I mean the person coming in every week to complain about the title never really participate either.

Those titles are great, don't stop what you're doing Xaoss.

Top Bottom