• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War: Ascension (PS3, Series Prequel) - Live stream 8AM PST 4/30

Luigiv

I'm confused as to exactly what point in time this game is supposed to occupy, I thought we had accounted for all of Kratos' time, now he has more time? wtf?
Someone mentioned this would be set before he became the ghost of sparta so I guess it will follow his trials between when he first started crying to ares to save him from the baberians like a sissy girl to the point where he personally muderred his own wife and child because he couldn't take 2 seconds to look around the room before swinging his blades. So yeah, before CoO.

namDa65

That image... perhaps we're going to see the story of how he got those chains. I'd be down with fighting the barbarian hordes as a headstrong Kratos. I could imagine them retelling the events that led him to serve ares, and... oh crikey, they might actually make players kill Kratos' family.

^ thanks for spoiling the whole new gow game for me :p.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
So let's start putting together a list of things we know will happen.

1) We'll start somewhere, and ultimately revisit that area in the end.
o Sex Minigame
2) We'll die and crawl our way out of Hades.
3) We'll gain spells one by one and become more powerful.

4) Quick Time Events
5) You will mash a button to open a door
6) AAAARRRRRIIIIIIEEEESSSS

GameE

What's funny is that they've all linked to the old thread so revenue generated via clicks = lost. Good stuff all around.

Hehe, a lot of sites aren't even linking to Gaf tho, not even linking to a thread.
Anyway Im excited to see footage.

Bebpo

Banned
Full transcript:

I kind of wonder if this isn't an true prequel and you play as Human Kratos with no god powers fighting mortal men instead of gods the whole game. Like a military campaign or something but on a personal level.

Would be a little different, though I dunno if fans would be ok with not having giant monsters and gods to fight with super powers.

inky

Disappointed to see it's Kratos all over again and a fucking prequel at that. A take on the Norse Gods would've been amazing and would have brought new life to the franchise: new characters, setting, lore, etc. yet you can keep the same name. =/

Tyrax

The Kratos character model looked really good in god of war 3, but all the other ones looked pretty terrible. The scenes with Kratos and Hera really broke the atmosphere of that game.

I'm confused as to exactly what point in time this game is supposed to occupy, I thought we had accounted for all of Kratos' time, now he has more time? wtf?

Kratos was in service to the gods for over a decade, the first prequel was set during then. This kinda sounds like it will be set right after his family dies perhaps?

LiK

Well... so we likely won't have massive titans to kill. I think people might enjoy large scale battles with crowd technology though. That could be cool.

It should be a dating sim where Kratos fucks every woman in Greece. The ultimate GoW minigame collection.

I'd love to play a different character and go kill Kratos.

Wait isn't
Kratos totally dead after GOW3? Is this a prequel

It is left ambiguous on purpose. Dev commentary said they
wanted Kratos to be rewarded for his sacrifice, becoming the aspect of death(grim reaper). Who would be responsible for killing future would-be gods.

Trevelyan

Banned
How about the prequel is how Greek mythology killed of Norse and Egyptian mythology? A giant war between them all? I really have clue.

Valnen

GoW3 ended how it did for a reason. Kratos had a story, it was completed. This feels completely unnecessary and you certainly CAN have a God of War without the original god of war, set in a different time period with a different set of gods.

Wouldn't be a true God of War game at that point.

What there hell is there left for him to kill, besides the franchise I mean?
I kid, sorta.

The only god who has appeared in the series and not been killed is Artemis. She was only in the first game, though. I guess they could have Apollo appear; only his bow has appeared in the series. I think Demeter was mentioned once. Medusa has another sister. There's still stuff left, but at this point Sony's really scraping that barrel.

But it's a prequel so whatever.

Mooreberg

I was hoping they would do Egyptian gods next, but I suppose at this point "God of War" without Kratos would be like 24 without Jack Bauer.

At least we didn't have to wait to E3 to find out what the hell Sony is publishing this fall.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
And not one single fuck was given that day.

I'm so tired of GoW.

Not a single one but enough for you to come in here just to say that. Good on you!

It's not like we get a yearly GoW game. This is the most bad ass guy around. But let's all hype over the new CoD!

Grymm

Banned
So freaking disappointed. Can't believe they're actually doing a third prequel.

Ugh, Santa Monica.

On the plus side there's only so many prequels they can do.

It'll probably stop with "God of War V: Out of the Womb and Into the Fire". You dual wield umbilical cords on an epic journey to find your binky.

GoW3 ended how it did for a reason. Kratos had a story, it was completed. This feels completely unnecessary and you certainly CAN have a God of War without the original god of war, set in a different time period with a different set of gods.

How is it unnecessary? Does anyone care about the story in GoW? I'll just be glad that they don't have to tie up loose ends with this one.

The series is about savagery and spectacle, not story.

Is Sony Santa Monica even working on this? Why isn't their logo on the trailer?

very strange indeed

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
wanted Kratos to be rewarded for his sacrifice

Are you fucking kidding me? He kills the entire pantheon of Greek gods and throws the entire world into chaos and the devs think he should be rewarded? Bastard got what was coming to him.

Cartman86

Banned
So the PSP games weren't about his family? I just wonder how much more you can do with the Greek Gods aesthetic in this series.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member

Yes it could, but they'd just lose the face of the whole franchise.That's why they keep returning to Kratos. If fans would buy the game no matter what, I think they'd already move on.

def sim

So we get to learn how Kratos turned out to be such an unlikeable idiot? ugh

I hoped they would continue the story and end it with Kratos being killed in the most excessively violent way possible.

Darknight

Then it wouldn't be GOW.

This teaser screams GOW and it will be glorious.

jett

D-Member

god of war is about being a raging, violent crazy person. kratos is quite honestly fairly extinguished as a character. i hope we get more media tomorrow becuz right now this teaser isn't getting me hyped at all.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Dammit, son! I wanted my Heavenly Sword 2 :( Maybe next time. But still, awesome!

KingK

eh, another prequel? meh. I don't mind still having Kratos around (he is the icon of the series at this point), but I really would have loved to see him go into Norse mythology.

I'm not sure what there is to do with another God of War prequel at this point. Hopefully there's at least some major gameplay changes to mix things up a bit, otherwise this will come off as just a huge cash in (which I'll probably still buy anyway).

Joei

I really enjoyed the third game, so I'll be looking forward to this. Can't wait to find out more.

My hope is that you get to play Kratos and Deimos, having some epic co-op action!!

tumblr_ky6o7pSBiq1qz5d8go1_r1_500.gif

Top Bottom