• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: Pikmin 3 (Wii U) at E3 2012 confirmed

You know, if Chris Remo didn't happen this might still be an unannounced surprise for e3. That's weird to think about.

Damn you Chris Remo!

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Goddamnit, I don't have the money to buy all consoles on release again. :(

Quick someone make a GIF that is the opposite of "it prints money" where Pikmin eat money from your wallet.

You know, if Chris Remo didn't happen this might still be an unannounced surprise for e3. That's weird to think about.

Damn you Chris Remo!

I like to think that Nintendo wasn't even working on Pikmin 3 before he asked about it. :)

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
newmontywii.gif
Perfect.
So we will see it before Half Life episode 3.
Rock on!
That depends on whether Valve decide to unveil it on Monday. Nintendo's conference is on Tuesday.
Never played Pikmin but that's because it looks boring as shit.
No, you are boring as shit.

Kamek

I need to get my hands on Pikmin 2. Loved the first. Can only imagine how awesome the lush environments + tablet controls will be. Ahhh!

Persona7

Banned
I'm not going to buy a Wii U for Pikmin...Or any Nintendo franchise really.

I'll get it in a few years at budget price.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
I've been replaying Pikmin 2 for the last little while. GOTY 2004 and it still holds up.

PokéKong

It's Miyamoto's baby, he can talk about it as much as he wants whenever he wants. And besides, he's already been talking about it for years now, people hope and expect it at every conference, the shock factor is somewhat already killed by that.

fernoca

Well...was expected already. They said last year that the game was moved from Wii to Wii U; so it was kinda obvious that it might be at E3 2012. :p

daakusedo

I didn't react at the mention of pikmin in the Miyamoto interview earlier today but seems that it wasn't thrown like that, it's coming!
Interesting too that Miyamoto announced clearly these games for e3, they begin to talk...

Now I just want to see the game expecting it's as ambitious as pikmin 2 to the first.

jbug617

Banned
I remember lurking Gaf the night before E3 when all the New Super Mario Bros Wii stuff was happening. Every time you refresh you got new pics from the venue and had to guess what was behind the sheet.

sphinx

the piano man
Exactly 1 year ago, I made a Pikmin 3 hype thread and asked people to share pikmin ideas. The point of it was to see if any of those ideas would actually make it to the game and if any did, give proper credit as a prophet to said gaffer, and just because it makes me all giddy inside, I share the ideas that were suggested in that thread, from their respective concept creators:

Sphinx said:
Mint green pikmin They hover/float around. The more you grab the higher you float, reaching unsuspected places with awesome treasure stuff. Do negligible damage. Can easily scape from ground monsters, will almost get eaten/beaten instantly when confronted with flyers.

Medalion said:
Rainbow pikmin that change abilities depending on some event or action

Metallix said:
Hmmm... how about Orange Pikmin? They have white paint on their bodies to make them look like skeletons. They act like normal Pikmin, but when eaten by an enemy, the enemy gets frightened and flees away from you for a few seconds.

zallaaa said:
Grey Pikmins. They are the carpenters of the Pikmin family. You draw any shape on the controller's touch and provided you have the right amount of pikmins they quickly form the desired object. Some kind of physics engine could be implemented and you would have to follow some simple construction rules or the pikmins would suitably react (e.g. they would scatter in panic should you order them to build a bridge without the proper supports).

Amirox said:
Brown Pikmin are burrowers. They can be sent the burrow in tunnels under ground to reach otherwise inaccessible areas. This would of course be helpful to bring certain items back where other Pikmin could not tread. On attack you'd toss them at an enemy and their go to damage is they burrow beneath and chip at its enemies with hit-and-run tactics. So it's the type of Pikmin you send in to avoid ground based area attacks (ground pounds). It's vulnerable to Birds that can peck through the ground and worm type enemies that can also burrow.

Amirox said:
Black Pikmin are night bugs. They can see in pitchblack areas (night vision), where other Pikmin are too afraid to go and thus will cower at the entrance to. Black Pikmin are rare to find but can lead groups of ten Pikmin of any color with them into the pitchblack areas (you can group them together in sub-groups, like a general and its legion). If the other Pikmin leave a certain radius of the Black Pikmin's guidance, they will cower in place until you recover them. When you enter the Pitchblack areas, the game will feature a green heat nightvision effect so the player can see into the darkness. This will allow a lot of clever puzzles where you have to try to make it in and out of the Pitchblack area alive with relatively few Pikmin at your disposal. Black Pikmin are very weak on the attack and will generally commit suicide if sent in.

Retro said:
How about Copper-colored armadillo-like Pikmin. They can curl up and travel faster by rolling and when fighting, are heavily armored and tough to kill, but can't really defeat enemies on their own. Their main gameplay usage would be to keep enemies back until reinforcements arrive, keep enemies occupied so your other pikmin don't get chewed up, or quickly deployed when enemies suddenly surprise you.

Maybe some tough enemies can't be defeated and you need these little armored guys to just hold them back long enough to escape or use some kind of environmental weapon against them. Hell, maybe the little armored guys can push enemies around, knocking them off ledges, into water, etc.

Octorockin' said:
Pink Pikmin: You can only take around 3 out at a time, but they can motivate fellow Pikmin and buff their abilities and stamina using a sweet aroma mist, which can also fluster monsters. One effect this mist would have on enemies would be infatuation, so smaller or more simple-minded foes will attack their familiars for a short amount of time.

Say there will be monsters who can call on surrounding ones in the area. The Pink Pikmin use their spores to put them to sleep so you can thin out the area before going back to take on the drowsy enemy.

They could also use their aroma to attract Pikmin that got lost during a daily trek, so you can save a few extra guys before nightfall. There would have to a certain limit to their "flower power" so they don't end up being relied on too much to get out of trouble.

Hahaha. I laughed on this picture alot more than I should've.

That gif is awsome to :D

Anywayz: this is good news. After having played NPC Pikmin late last year I am fully ready for more. Its a shame that Pikmin 2 costs $60-$70 used online because I really wanna play it before Pikmin 3. Oh well...if they don't announce NPC Pikmin 2 in US at E3 I may just buy it...if it was new I wouldn't mind but $70 used...with gamecube controls and not awsome wiimote controls ugh.

At least Pikmin 3 will have touch screen..most likely. I'de rather have pointer controls again but anything is better than just buttons like on GC for this type of game.

SykoTech

Development hell finally over!

Not the biggest Pikmin fan myself, but my sister really liked Pkimin 2. And I like anything that gets my sister gaming. Happy to hear it's on Wii U too, as she couldn't care less about handhelds.

Top Bottom