• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DJ Hero? Any Hype?

PBY

Banned
I read the GI reveal on this game, and it looks decent. I don't know how fun the game mechanics will be, ie scratching a fake disc and turning knobs/ pushing buttons. Anyways, the controller looks good, but the song selection will be limited imo. What says gaf? If this topic is old, lock then, I couldn't find this when I searched.

Alphahawk

You know, as someone whose actually tried Disk Scratching (Just briefly though, like we're talking about 15 mins at most here) it's gonna be really intresting to see if they get it right. If the game has you searching for the scratch like on a real turntable then it could be the awesomest thing ever, however if they simplify it to the point where just moving the record results in a scratch than that would be dissapointing.

It could be very fun, but a part of me suspects that it's gonna get a lot of hate just because of how people feel the genre is being milked.

Damon and Greg at IGN were lovin' on it in the latest Gamescoop podcast.....I can't see how it could be that great though. We'll see...

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
The article in Game Informer made it sound like it could be cool. But I dont know if I want to spend full price at launch. Especially given how fast the Band games drop in price.

If it is a real DJ game (mixing tracks etc.) then it could be cool, but I guess it's the same as GH, only instead of strumming you scratch the disc. Am I right or is Activision really evolving the GH franchise?

PBY

Banned
Phife Dawg said:
If it is a real DJ game (mixing tracks etc.) then it could be cool, but I guess it's the same as GH, only instead of strumming you scratch the disc. Am I right or is Activision really evolving the GH franchise?
From the six pages in GI, it seems like its somewhere in between the two possibilities you described. you do mix tracks, but I think the game gives you cues, and the scratching of the disc, i dont know how that works.

Ten-Song

Phife Dawg said:

From what it looks like in the Game Informer preview, it seems like they do have you mix tracks... but it's not like some natural thing you can do on your own. Everything still looks like it's basically "match this and do this when the prompt passes this point."

FerranMG

If by hype you mean if I'd love to try it anytime soon, sure yeah!

But I really, really want to see about the other DJ game: Scratch.

pswii60

It's so easy for anyone to get in to DJing that I don't see the point in this.

I can understand someone not having the patience to learn the guitar, but with DJing?

Like others on this board though, I'm a professional DJ/producer so not too much interest, but certainly intrigued.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
timetokill said:
No more Heroes please

heroes_wideweb__470x324,0.jpg

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
pswii60 said:
It's so easy for anyone to get in to DJing that I don't see the point in this.

I can understand someone not having the patience to learn the guitar, but with DJing?

Like others on this board though, I'm a professional DJ/producer so not too much interest, but certainly intrigued.

Yup, exactly. Curious to see what the end result is, and curious to see what songs are getting picked for the soundtrack... but I'd rather just play around with my $250 midi controller.

MikeE21286 said:
Damon and Greg at IGN were lovin' on it in the latest Gamescoop podcast.....I can't see how it could be that great though. We'll see...
IGN also came back from the unveiling of GH:WT and only talked about how great it was. I'm not listening to them this time.

In addition to the turntable, there will be a second, clip-on component, which includes a cross-fader, effects dial, "Euphoria" button (ie star power) and the requisite d-pad and control pad buttons, which are hid tastefully beneath a flip-up cover. Unlike the silver turntable, this pad will come in a muted, metallic gold scheme.

Also revealed in the mag is how the game actually works. It's mostly like Guitar Hero, with notes cascading down the screen towards you, however this time around there are only three notes, with complexity coming from the fact that in addition to hitting those three, you need to have the cross-fader in the right position. Replacing sustained guitar notes will be scratching sections, with small arrows in the coloured line telling you which way to turn.

Finally, the article mentions a few confirmed tracks for the game. I'll warn you, if you're approaching this game with any semblance of pessimism or doubt, do not read any further.

"Feel Good Inc." (Gorillaz) vs "I Heard It Through the Grapevine" (Marvin Gaye)
"Jayou" (Jurassic 5) vs "Rockit" (Herbie Hancock)
"Bustin' Loose" (Chuck Brown) vs "Time of the Season" (The Zombies, DJ Shadow Mix)
"All Apologies" (Nirvana) vs "Give It to Me Baby" (Rick James, DJ Shadow Mix)
"Let's Dance" (David Bowie) vs "Jack of Spades" (KRS One, DJ Shadow Mix)
"Shout" (Tears for Fears) vs "Pjanoo" (Eric Prydz)
http://kotaku.com/5261834/dj-hero-controller-gameplay-fully-revealed
Copy by Kotaku, info from Game Informer.

I was really excited for this game when the rumors first popped up a year ago. After seeing the songlist thus far I am hugely disappointed in where they are taking this game. No EDM, no interest.

Jokey665

vicissitudes said:
Why would anyone play this over IIDX?
Oh god this. I'm not even that big of a IIDX fan (I prefer Pop'n to most other rhythm games) but I would much rather play the real deal than some Activision knock off.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
BakedPigeon said:
I was really excited for this game when the rumors first popped up a year ago. After seeing the songlist thus far I am hugely disappointed in where they are taking this game. No EDM, no interest.
This is exactly why I'm interested in this game now. ;)

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
BakedPigeon said:

Pjanoo and Rockit are most definitely EDM but yeah, mashups sound very 'meh'.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
corkscrewblow said:
Dave Grohl must suck these guys off to be in every game or something. Even in the fucking DJ game :lol
That's because Dave Grohl is fucking awesome.

TheChaos

panda21 said:
what the hell is EDM?

Electronic Dance Music.

I'm not digging the songlist so far. Let's hope it gets more variety (but I'm not holding my breath).

If it were up to me I would get a bunch of songs by underground artists so they get attention. But alas, I'm not Activision.

panda21

is that an american thing? usually its just called dance music in europe

i keep getting it confused with IDM when people write that on here

Scratch sounds more authentic than this, and it sounds like it'll have the full tracks. So you can mix them how you want. Plus it more rooted in hip-hop. The Beastie Boys aren't in DJ Hero because Scratch locked them down already.

DJ hero sounds intresting, but I don't like the already mashed soundtrack. It sounds like this will be more fun by iteration 2 or 3, and allowing use of the guitar sounds a bit gimmiky. What might of worked would be allowing true karaoke on all songs. Instead of what they allow you to do currently

dallow_bg

nods at old men
djtiesto said:
Plenty of EDM has funk and soul in it.
Not my kind of funk and soul.

I used to DJ locally but it was exclusive to 60s singles of fuzz/funk/soul/rockers type stuff.
There will never be a game like that but I don't really need one.

I'm curious about these mashups though.
I really was expecting almost pure electronic music so it's a nice surprise.

Oreoleo

FerranMG said:
But I really, really want to see about the other DJ game: Scratch.

Everything I've heard about it makes it sound like the better game. You use a real mp3 turntable (a la the Ion drum kit), Quincy Jones is attached to the project, and most importantly: It's not being made by Activision.

TheChaos

panda21 said:
is that an american thing? usually its just called dance music in europe

i keep getting it confused with IDM when people write that on here

I call it that because in America everyone unfortunately calls it all "Techno".

Phife Dawg said:

evolving or dumping it into the ground?

i've seen the peripheral for this, looked quite lame compared to Bemani.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
corkscrewblow said:
Nirvana is awful.
Foo Fighters are awful.

As good a musician he is, his bands always fucking suck.
So would the game magically become a million times better if there was a BTBAM and Rick James mix?

Top Bottom