• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DJ Hero? Any Hype?

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
I probably won't buy it at launch. I have learned my lesson with first iterations of music game hardware. (2 dead Stratocasters, 1 squeaky GHWT guitar and 1 broken drum pedal)

kaleii

dj_hero_1-550x308.jpg

Hype +1

First two vids seem pretty easy (they are on the easiest setting though). It's weird to me that the artists mainly listed at first were pretty much all hip hop. But some of the artists recently announced and ALL of the aesthetic for the game looks to be dance music. At first I was thinking this was all going to be rap but every screen and video looks like a rave. I can't wait for it, I don't think it'll be a hit though even though this seems like Activision is doing this right. Maybe Harmonix is cooking up their own DJ game?

Just saw the short gameplay video and it looks promising. The main reason why I've just never been able to get into Guitar Hero or Rock Band is that I'm not into rock music enough to really invest in the games. While Rock Band was fun enough to play at a party it's just not something I could see myself playing on my own.

I'm happy to see a game catering more to people into electronic music a la Frequency. Depending on the final tracklist it may be a game that garners a lot of my interest or just a game that I appreciate existing amongst its rock-centric peers.

LCfiner

I am willing to admit when I was wrong about something. I was wrong to dismiss this game.

I really liked those gameplay videos.

I'll be following this one more closely for sure.

Ryn said:
for a "DJ-esque" kinda game, yeah it is.

Not really, unless DJ'ing involves hitting buttons to the rhythm of music.

This game may end up sucking, but Scratch seems to be the game trying to be Beatmania, not DJ Hero.

TheChaos

Ryn said:
for a "DJ-esque" kinda game, yeah it is.

As a IIDX player I can tell you they're not.

It looks like you have to mix two songs together with the turntable. IIDX has seven keys like a piano and a scratch once only, usually to a cymbal crash or whatnot. The songlist is way different, I doubt you'll see Gabber or Eurobeat on this game. Scratch: The Ultimate DJ looks way similar to IIDX, though.

If you want to play a game that even resembles real mixing, play Crackin' DJ:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibKTbn_z4II

Timo

If they were smart they would have convinced Daft Punk to be unlockable characters or something. If they were really smart.

Crackin looks fun, but not sure I'd appreciate all the UI clutter. Seems like every thing you score covers your play area partially.

Ronabo

I'm liking it. I think it's got potential. It looks like a DJ game. I've always thought Beatmania was like playing a typing game to some horrible J-pop.

I'm a little surprised at the negative reaction the game seems to have been getting since video showing the game + controller together. Looks pretty interesting to me.

MMaRsu

Banned
Teknopathetic said:
I'm a little surprised at the negative reaction the game seems to have been getting since video showing the game + controller together. Looks pretty interesting to me.

Same here, looks pretty great!

sk3

Banned
The first easy mode videos were terrible because we had no idea what was going on with the hands and how to control it. But after the gametrailers full song. WOW. I am impressed, it looks like it could be very fun. I went from a no buy, to a buy if its under $80.

Nisa65

pizzaguysrevenge said:
I'd rather not play shitty J-pop songs.

Beatmania IIDX covers many genres, including a number of sub genres within electronic music, it's not all J-Pop. Of course you'd know this if you actually bothered to play the fucking game instead of dismissing it sight unseen.

People saying that IIDX makes DJ Hero redundant are equally idiotic as they are almost nothing alike in terms of gameplay.

"Beatmania IIDX covers many genres, including a number of sub genres within electronic music, it's not all J-Pop. Of course you'd know this if you actually bothered to play the fucking game instead of dismissing it sight unseen.

People saying that IIDX makes DJ Hero redundant are equally idiotic as they are almost nothing alike in terms of gameplay."

Preach.

DGRP

This game looks damn fun. Controls look solid and fresh.

I totally dig the Hollaback Girl Vs. Give it to me baby track. :D

:lol at those who think that Scratch is better.

I don't think anyone genuinely believes Scratch looks better (and before videos of both were shown, I was totally expecting Scratch to be the better of the two). Even the Scratch controller looks awful and that's the one area I was expecting Scratch (since it's made in collaboration with Numark) to excel.

Top Bottom