• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo gets Monolith Soft from Bandai-Namco

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Shaheed79 said:
They're against the forceful aquiring of developers against the wishes of some of the staff a practice MS perfected last gen. When a company wants to become Nintendo exclusive why not buy them out. I doubt we'll see any resignations from Monolith.

Whom did Microsoft buy out last gen that was considered hostile?

Andy787

Banned
Monolith Soft
do-not-want-dog.jpg

Rlan

duckroll said:
I guess Namco FINALLY BAILED OUT! I wonder why Nintendo would want them anyway, they've never made a single profitable game and the good developers from the Baten Kaitos series aren't even on board here.

Now that it's officially Nintendo, the horde will buy their game in droves!

okay, maybe not, since the new Fire Emblem didn't do so hot, if I recall correctly, and Zelda didn't do nearly as well as expected in Japan

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
jj984jj said:
:lol

Rare/Silicon Knights/Left Field am cry? Actually, what does Monolith Soft have that they don't?

Nintendo was pretty smart to let that lot go, I mean look at all of them now.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Future Trunks said:
Does this mean Disaster is coming along much better than we know? A la Retro and MP?
Good call. That's a good possibility.

I wonder if Nintendo realizes that since they are now the driving force again in Japan, they're going to need to supply their console with some big in-house JRPG's. It was definitely a weak point in their portfolio in terms of Japanese tastes.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Jonnyram said:
They're gonna make all the new Mario Sports games.
Ahhhhhhhhhh, just made me realize how many times I thought Nintendo was going to acquire Camelot... would've been a much better decision than this. :(

Dragona Akehi said:
THINK OF THE FADYS!

WON'T SOMEONE PLEASE THINK OF THE FADYS?!?!?!
Fady has a Wii though, but Tabris... well let's just hope he takes it well.

titiklabingapat said:
Plz buy Grasshopper and Nibris, kthanx
Nibris? DO NOT WANT!

I guess Ninty looked at their balance sheet and decided to spend some of that huge mountain of cash they're sitting on. And just yesterday I was wondering why they've never really had a solid RPG team under their umbrella.

titiklabingapat said:
Plz buy Grasshopper and Nibris, kthanx
Grasshopper stays independent, because independence is punk-rock. No one can own them.

Joe Molotov

Shard said:
That would require Namco Bandai to have sold Nintendo the Xenosaga IP as well.

They can just call it "Xeno-[insert random RPG-sounding word here]" and it'll all be good. I'm hoping for XenoFantasy or XenoQuest, but I'd settle for Tales of Xeno.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
OnWarmerMusic said:
I guess Ninty looked at their balance sheet and decided to spend some of that huge mountain of cash they're sitting on. And just yesterday I was wondering why they've never really had a solid RPG team under their umbrella.

Intelligent Systems would like a word with you.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
thanks for the shitty xenosaga games, monolith. i will eventually buy #3 when its less than 10 bucks, like i did for 2

very odd that nintendo would buy them though. when was the last time they even made a new studio or bought one?

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Hopes for Xenosaga Episode IV: Götzen-Dämmerung, Oder Wie Man Mit Dem Hammer Philosophier.....on the PS3....fading.....into oblivion.

=(

Tchu-Espresso

likes mayo on everthing and can't dance
davepoobond said:
thanks for the shitty xenosaga games, monolith. i will eventually buy #3 when its less than 10 bucks, like i did for 2

very odd that nintendo would buy them though. when was the last time they even made a new studio or bought one?
kuju?

AniHawk

davepoobond said:

EAD Tokyo around 2005.

ZeoVGM

Banned
duckroll said:
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

I guess Namco FINALLY BAILED OUT! I wonder why Nintendo would want them anyway, they've never made a single profitable game and the good developers from the Baten Kaitos series aren't even on board here.

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

You get easily excited about things that aren't really that funny. :p

I'm surprised they haven't tried to get Mikami to come away from Capcom and bring a few members. That guy seemed like he's itching to be part of Nintendo.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Shard said:
Intelligent Systems would like a word with you.
IS hasn't ever really made a traditional JRPG, though. They do Fire Emblem, which is an SRPG, and the Paper Mario series, while fantastic, is more quirky than anything, plus it's still firmly rooted as a Mario series. This is a good opportunity to bring something to the table that's along the lines of FF, with epic storylines, FMV, all that jazz.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Y2Kevbug11 said:
Wow, this is like going shopping for turds.

Xeno :lol

I like how people are pointing out LOL XENOSAGA SUCKED, yet ignore the good Baten Kaitos games and Xenosaga 3 which was actually good.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Xisiqomelir said:

No, actual question, was Bungie actually bought out in a hostile manner, and I mean that actual definition of the term, not pithy upset fanboys.

To wit and from the Wikipedia. A takeover would be considered "hostile" if (1) the board rejects the offer, but the bidder continues to pursue it, or (2) if the bidder makes the offer without informing the board beforehand.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
So I guess if that EGM rumor about the Kos-mos action game coming out is true, then Monolith wouldn't have a thing to do with it?

P90

SolidSnakex said:
I'm surprised they haven't tried to get Mikami to come away from Capcom and bring a few members. That guy seemed like he's itching to be part of Nintendo.

I agree. Mikami would be a good fit and fill a void in Nintendo's arsenal.

ivysaur12

Banned
Now there just needs to be a hostile take over of tri-Crescendo, and Nintendo can start milking Baten Kaitos. Bring on Savyna's Cooking Extravaganza!

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Link said:
IS hasn't ever really made a traditional JRPG, though. They do Fire Emblem, which is an SRPG, and the Paper Mario series, while fantastic, is more quirky than anything, plus it's still firmly rooted as a Mario series. This is a good opportunity to bring something to the table that's along the lines of FF, with epic storylines, FMV, all that jazz.

Okay, in that frame the statement is accurate.

Ark-AMN

Banned
Shard said:
Nintendo was pretty smart to let that lot go, I mean look at all of them now.
Heh, sorry, I wouldn't be the pool boy if I didn't do my daily SK defense. Anyway, SK pretty much wanted to go from Nintendo since Too Human really don't fit with what Nintendo's doing with the Wii, and they for sure wanted the big budget that MS provides to make their vision come true. Besides, SK still has tons of talent.

Left Field and Rare on the other hand... :D

Yeah yeah talk all the trash you want but XS3 is still one of the most amazing RPGs ever and nothing has topped it or gotten close to it for a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom