• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Hardware/UI Review Thread

artist

Banned
This is the UI that people claim is objectively superior to the PS4 UI?
ku-xlarge.gif

It's full of squares and transition animations.
Dat UI hnnnng!

oooh aaaah waaah

mjc

Both consoles needed more time in the oven. Missing features and rough edges everywhere. These impressions are about what I expected.

MormaPope

Banned
Man, The Verge review and the stuff on Kinect has soured me even more on ever considering a Xbone with Kinect bundle. Take that shit out of the box and sell it less than the PS4, the Kinect is dead weight.

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
Is that Polygon thing a review or a marketing brochure? I haven't read it, but it looks like it must of had its own budget to be that slick.

ironcreed

Banned
Eurogamer - "Pre-launch rumours about Snap being broken appear untrue though - it worked as intended on the beta build we saw in August and it's virtually unchanged here - it's just that actual applications for it are fairly limited right now."

"We measure a peak of 125W consumed during gameplay and a 49 degrees Celsius case temperature (directly above the processor, so effectively the exhaust), in an ambient 23-degree environment - as close as we could get to our PlayStation 4 testing. That's 15W off our measured PS4 peak and almost the same temperature level. The difference is noise: Xbox One is a remarkably quiet machine - virtually silent during front-end and media tasks and even at maximum load after several hours' worth of Ryse gameplay (curiously, Forza 5 appears to draw 10W less). It's to the point where the Blu-ray drive actually seems to make more noise than the cooling system, which is good news for gamers (after the game has installed anyway)"

Sounds good to me.

antitrop

Stephen Totilo
@stephentotilo
Another XboxOne head-scratcher. Offers beefy 500GB hard drive...doesn't let you see how much of the drive you've used

Watched the polygon review and the best thing they could muster about the system is that saying "xbox watch tv" really works

Zzzz

That UI looks cluttered and awful.

Why do people say the X1 UI look better? I just don't get it, it's so cluttered, like there's just too much going on. Maybe it's just me, but I don't like the way it looks at all.

Amir0x

Banned
To you. They'll get fixed. The thing still plays games.

Everything gets fixed, eventually. These are simply things that will impede Microsoft's progress in proving it deserves to be a competitor. The longer it takes for them to fix it, the more it'll be a problem. Right now the problem level is minimal.

B.O.O.M

Some of these quotes...damn

"So voice control becomes the default input interface. On the one hand this is great, because it works. On the other hand, though, it's not so great, because the main reason you're driven towards voice input is the counter-intuitive design of the user interface. It's something of a departure from Sony's simple but effective PS4 dynamic menus (where, despite the name, everything remains where it should be), and while it helps that you can take your favourite selectables and "pin" them into an area that lives to the left of the home screen, the pins feel like they're there to make up for the illogical structure of the UI."

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
I've never had problems with the first Kinect, I fail to see how this one could be worse than that. I wouldn't consider myself to have perfect audio setup either.

Coins

Banned
That Verge review sealed the deal for me. If I'm watching TV through it, I don't want to have to keep my directv remote on standby and switch over since the xboxs functionality only goes so far. I'd rather just use my directv receiver all the time then.

Derrick01

Banned
I guess I shouldn't be surprised that this system seems like a hot mess right now, we've only had warning signs for how many months now? I know they'll finish adding features sometime next year but I wonder if they'll ever fix all the other issues like the lagging and Kinect being inaccurate with receiving commands.

Top Bottom