• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 4 Sales Surpass 7.0 Million Units (April 6th), 20.5M Software (April 13)

Jomjom

Banned
We know 360 is around 80 mil LTD WW right? How much did UK and US account for? Maybe that would give a rough picture of what the xbone could benefit from a release in the other countries. Account for the fact that 360 was more popular than the xbone is at this point and i think we could get a fairly good picture of how many units the september launch in more countries could contribute. Would make for a better response than everyone just saying that those countries are insignificant.

Biker19

Banned
When did this thread go from PS4 doing very well into a discussion about PS4 having no games? Mods should take action.

I agree. Threads always gets derailed for no good reason.

We know 360 is around 80 mil LTD WW right? How much did UK and US account for? Maybe that would give a rough picture of what the xbone could benefit from a release in the other countries. Account for the fact that 360 was more popular than the xbone is at this point and i think we could get a fairly good picture of how many units the september launch in more countries could contribute. Would make for a better response than everyone just saying that those countries are insignificant.

U.S. = 46+ million. Outside of the U.S., 34+ million.

Though Microsoft has pretty much already forfeited worldwide sales to Sony, with the high price tag, the Anti-Used games, the mandatory DRM & the NSA scandals, as well as heavily advertising the Xbox One as a American console.

Jburton

Banned
When did this thread go from PS4 doing very well into a discussion about PS4 having no games? Mods should take action

Usual bullshit by some of the usual players.

Titanfall it seems must be redeemed in some manner since it could not lift the X1 over PS4.

Asd202

You probably aren't serious with this image but I agree with it.

I'd rather have Titanfall than all those other small indie games. Titanfall probably outsold all of them put together. If you want to use a "quantity vs quality" argument I'll use one here as well.

I rather have PS4 line-up and play Titanfall on PC.

People say they're insignificant when relative to Sony's system, because last gen over 50% of 360's sales came from US.

Whereas for PS3, only 30% or so sales came from US, yet they caught up in sales and i believe surpassed 360 sales overall worldwide.

And it better have Second Son's photo mode. Tentacle titties will be art come to life.

Now that you mention it, I wonder if Second Son's photo mode can be adapted at a system level, so you could use it in conjunction with the share button for any PS4 game. Wouldn't work for 2d games i guess but maybe titles can opt in to make use of it.

X360 US LTD is roughly 41.3M [Assuming 81M WW LTD, 51% of total WW sales of the 360 were in the US verus approximately 31.4% of PS3 WW sales]

Not sure when or if we've gotten UK LTD for X360

Close.

360 LTD: 41.3 million

PS3 LTD: 25.8 million

MercuryLS

Banned
PS4's success is due to strong hardware, strong track record with PS1,2,3, all the big 3rd party titles and being cheaper than Xbox One while sharing 90% of the same titles. Other things like hype help. I bought mine knowing that the future for the machine was bright, not for any particular title. People can hold up a few exclusives on both consoles and act like they make a huge difference to the majority of consumers...they don't for the most part.

PS4 and XB1 are interchangeable for the majority of people, that's the reason why you've seen a lot of Xbox people jump ship the same way a lot of PS2 players bought Xbox 360. No matter how good Sony and MS's own exclusive titles are, with current games development costs, the majority of titles are multiplat and that's what people really look at - exclusives are a bonus for most and system sellers to few.

As long as MS's console costs more, Sony will have an advantage. When they are at price parity things will get more interesting in the US/UK markets. If Sony outsells (likely) or keeps pace (possible) with MS in US and UK then MS console marketshare will contract while Sony's gets a boost in comparison to last gen. We're already seeing this play out, It's up to MS to become more competitive and stem this trend, they will lose this gen based on units sold vs. Sony, the question is by how much.

MormaPope

Banned
In hindsight, Microsoft should've launched their next gen console in early 2013. Investments and R&D going towards Kinect should've never happened, all the money spent on that shit could've been spent on better hardware inside the console. The 360 dash should've been upgraded/updated for the next gen console so its instantaneous when loading anything, more organizing options, snapping can stay. Same party system as before, updated guide UI, customization guide/guide UI. Apps don't require Gold, Gold incentives are added in. Instead of paying for Titanfall exclusivity, pay Rockstar/Take Two to make a next gen port of GTA V a priority. $399, released in North America and all of Europe, other countries get the console a few months later. Gold pricing is dropped.

Basically, update and polish what the 360 became by 2011/2012 on the software side and make sure the hardware is what developers want. It should've never been this fucking hard. All Microsoft really had to do was make a Xbox 720, instead they gambled on random shit entirely and look what happened. Personally Microsoft is in the same boat as Nintendo when it comes to shitting the bed next gen style.

Keep the 360 and original Xbox audience happy, that was what Microsoft had to do. Instead they tried to sell people some voodoo DRM shit and being able to talk to your console like its some robot ally. Awesome, terrific.

le.phat

Added Dec & Nov

old - http://i.imgur.com/dMFo1OS.png
pRO0wPj.png

ps4 confirmed selling on hype alone.

RulkezX

Why just the UK and US ? It's out in Spain , Italy , France and Germany as well. Those 5 countries are overwhelmingly where most consoles are sold in Europe.

Jomjom

Banned
X360 US LTD is roughly 41.3M [Assuming 81M WW LTD, 51% of total WW sales of the 360 were in the US verus approximately 31.4% of PS3 WW sales]

Not sure when or if we've gotten UK LTD for X360

Im guessing UK would at least be 25 to 30% of the US number given that it was the 360's second strongest area? So maybe about 35 to 40% of the total LTD could be attributed to the rest of the world? Would that be way off? So had the xbone released in all the countries that the 360 is currently released in at launch they maybe could have seen at most another million consoles sold at this point in time (deduct some for the sales from the other countries its already launched in)? Given that the xbone is more expensive, has less appeal currently than the 360, and is facing more competition from its direct competitor.

Why just the UK and US ? It's out in Spain , Italy , France and Germany as well. Those 5 countries are overwhelmingly where most consoles are sold in Europe.

Not ignoring it, but UK was the most receptive to the xbox brand in the EU. The xbone having already launched in those countries definitely lowers some of the potential numbers it could see from a "global release". But i think those five you named were and still are more aligned with Sony no?

Biker19

Banned
In hindsight, Microsoft should've launched their next gen console in early 2013. Investments and R&D going towards Kinect should've never happened, all the money spent on that shit could've been spent on better hardware inside the console. The 360 dash should've been upgraded/updated for the next gen console so its instantaneous when loading anything, more organizing options, snapping can stay. Same party system as before, updated guide UI, customization guide/guide UI. Apps don't require Gold, Gold incentives are added in. Instead of paying for Titanfall exclusivity, pay Rockstar/Take Two to make a next gen port of GTA V a priority. $399, released in North America and all of Europe, other countries get the console a few months later. Gold pricing is dropped.

Basically, update and polish what the 360 became by 2011/2012 on the software side and make sure the hardware is what developers want. It should've never been this fucking hard. All Microsoft really had to do was make a Xbox 720, instead they gambled on random shit entirely and look what happened. Personally Microsoft is in the same boat as Nintendo when it comes to shitting the bed next gen style.

Keep the 360 and original Xbox audience happy, that was what Microsoft had to do. Instead they tried to sell people some voodoo DRM shit and being able to talk to your console like its some robot ally. Awesome, terrific.

It's because of Kinect being extremely popular on the Xbox 360 with 24+ million units sold, that's why. Kinect 2.0 (along with mandatory DRM) is what contributed to the R&D of the console, making the price higher.

MormaPope

Banned
It's because of Kinect being extremely popular on the Xbox 360 with 24+ million units sold, that's why.

Designing a console based on something that was going to be released in 2010 is horrendous decision making. Not to mention the people that pushed the 360 to be successful to begin with weren't hungry for something like the Wii. Kinect being some sort of cherry on top isn't the issue, banking on a new audience coming in because they can play dancing games or another Rare Wii Sports ripoff game is dim witted at best.

Look at what Sony did, upgraded hardware, different UI, 7 million consoles sold.

Im guessing UK would at least be 25 to 30% of the US number given that it was the 360's second strongest area? So maybe about 35 to 40% of the total LTD could be attributed to the rest of the world? Would that be way off? So had the xbone released in all the countries that the 360 is currently released in at launch they maybe could have seen at most another million consoles sold at this point in time (deduct some for the sales from the other countries its already launched in)? Given that the xbone is more expensive, has less appeal currently than the 360, and is facing more competition from its direct competitor.

I would say 25 - 30% of MS's 360 LTD might be a tad high but not unrealistic

I'd say even another million XB1's sold due to a larger launch is probably a bit high considering we've had soft "gray market" launches in most of those countries anyways

More than it does in Finland or Hungary.

Not that any of the remaining EU countries it's still to launch in are going to buy consoles in massive numbers.

I'm not convinced Spain is a market worth MS's interest

MS spends 20 million Euro marketing XB1 for launch

As of the End of January, PS4 sells 181k - 205k units in Spain, XB1 sells 40k

That's roughly 500 Euro per console for marketing

Game Guru

This list shows exactly what MS's current problem is. They refuse to just merely keep up with the Jones. Xbox Live Gold is $10 more than PS+. Xbox Live Gold is required for media apps when PS+ doesn't and every other digital media streamer offers access to them for free. MS has more restrictions over indie games than Sony does. Microsoft was also stupid for including Kinect because, even though the PlayStation Camera is rather popular, it is mainly popular for streaming to Ustream, which not everyone can do with their internet connection, but everyone can benefit from, so it actually makes more sense for a camera to be an optional accessory than a mandatory one. Add to that the fact that PS4 is currently $100 less expensive and more powerful, and that it is guaranteed every major western third-party game, every major Japanese console game once PS3 retires, and every major indie game assuming any game from these three categories MS didn't outright moneyhat, and it is pretty obvious what the better choice of most people are going to be as far as consoles are concerned.

I will admit that if one wants the greatest choice for games this generation, they will need a PC and 3DS as well as a PS4, but beyond that, one should only get a Vita, Wii U, and/or a XB1 only if they like the exclusive games available for those systems.

I have a 3DS, PC and PS4 so yay. Though I only use my laptop for not-so-demanding games I can't play on my PS4. Aka no Battlefield 4 on PC, because it's too demanding and I could play on my ps4.

Biker19

Banned
Designing a console based on something that was going to be released in 2010 is horrendous decision making. Not to mention the people that pushed the 360 to be successful to begin with weren't hungry for something like the Wii. Kinect being some sort of cherry on top isn't the issue, banking on a new audience coming in because they can play dancing games or another Rare Wii Sports ripoff game is dim witted at best.

I agree. That move was foolish. Not to mention that Kinect 2 is also designed to make more money for Microsoft off of getting data from people by having Big Brother watching over them.

Link.

Google NuAds for more info.

Look at what Sony did, upgraded hardware, different UI, 7 million consoles sold.

I also agree. Sony was being very smart of what consumers wanted, & they're being rewarded for it.

Hee, hee, hee, hee, hee, hee...the power of GAF must've be strong.

I will admit that if one wants the greatest choice for games this generation, they will need a PC and 3DS as well as a PS4, but beyond that, one should only get a Vita, Wii U, and/or a XB1 only if they like the exclusive games available for those systems.

I almost agreed with the entirety of your post. Almost.

I not only got a vita for the exclusives, but also for all of the indie games i prefer playing on the go, rather than on my PC, and remote play.

Also, i'm happy for the PS4 sales, and my next game will be Child of Light.

(Ja-Mr) HW Shipments (Unit: Million)
Code:
  HW              Ja-Mr             LTD

2001 PS2         4.21              10.04

2014 PS4       + 2.5 M ??        ~ 7.0 M ??

2007 PS3         1.8               3.5

2006 360         1.7               3.2

2014 XBO      ~  1.1  ??         ~ 5.0 ??

- XBO and last gen consoles need price cuts ASAP.

- XBO looks DOA in cont EU.

- PS360 has already outsold the PS2+Xbox by 15 million units (US + EU markets). Sales in emerging markets should be a key driver over the next few years.

- PS4 is selling well, but Sony can't replicate what the PS2 did in JP + US.

JP Sales - First Eight Weeks
Code:
   HW             Week 8       LTD        

2000 PS2         74,350       1.4 m    (Ap 2000, Famitsu)

2006 PS3         71,727       0.46 m   (Dc 2006, Media Create)      

2014 PS4         13,034       0.52 m   (Ap 2014, Media Create)

The US market is still debatable, but the PS2 is headed for the stratosphere after Feb 2001.

US Sales
Code:
   HW             March       Ja - Mr         March LTD

2001 PS2         0.55 m       1.03 m          2.13 m    

2014 PS4         0.37 m       0.91 m          2.91 m

2007 PS3         0.13 m       0.50 m          1.19 m

That said, analysts expect the PS4 to sell 10 - 12 million units worldwide in 2014 (below PS3 slim)

PS4 software sales are another bright spot, with more than 20.5 million copies sold at retail and PlayStation Store worldwide as of April 13th, 2014.

Weak PS4 software sales (it's perfectly normal) . PS3 is still the breadwinner.

Sony - Game Software Sales (Q1 + Q2 + Q3) -> 283 million units

Sony - Game Software Sales FCT FY13 -> 360 million units

spread list wars spread

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ RIOT RIOT ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ

Edit: Welp above me

androvsky

???
patch size

The PS4 currently has an issue where patches have to have complete files, apparently delta patches aren't in yet. From what I understand, games that update a lot have to push multiple gigabytes every update even if they're making relatively small changes. It's what's holding up War Thunder in the U.S., and probably being a pain to all the other f2p MMOs and their users.

I don't know if it's a PS4 firmware issue or an issue with the middleware War Thunder is using, but rumor suggests whatever it is will be fixed in April.

The PS4 currently has an issue where patches have to have complete files, apparently delta patches aren't in yet. From what I understand, games that update a lot have to push multiple gigabytes every update even if they're making relatively small changes. It's what's holding up War Thunder in the U.S., and probably being a pain to all the other f2p MMOs and their users.

I don't know if it's a PS4 firmware issue or an issue with the middleware War Thunder is using, but rumor suggests whatever it is will be fixed in April.

got it thanks :)

There's a reason MS cut their launch counties in half after pre-orders had been open for a few months, and it wasn't because they were worried they couldn't meet the crazy-high demand in Tier 2, and it wasn't because they couldn't find anyone who spoke Switzer.

According to this Feb 2013 article it reached 8 million in UK

http://www.techradar.com/news/gamin...surpass-nintendo-wiis-uk-sales-record-1131356

I wonder what 360 #3 country is

Huh so even approximating it to 8.75 million, being fairly generous

That would represent about 10.8% of 360's WW Marketshare, with another 51% in the US, that leaves 38% for the rest of the world.

Judging by the one-sided sales elsewhere I'm wondering if MS is actually losing more WW than we release

(Ja-Mr) HW Shipments (Unit: Million)
Code:
  HW              Ja-Mr             LTD

2001 PS2         4.21              10.04

2014 PS4       + 2.5 M ??        ~ 7.0 M ??

2007 PS3         1.8               3.5

2006 360         1.7               3.2

2014 XBO      ~  1.1  ??         ~ 5.0 ??

- XBO and last gen consoles need price cuts ASAP.

- XBO looks DOA in cont EU.

- PS360 has already outsold the PS2+Xbox by 15 million units (US + EU markets). Sales in emerging markets should be a key driver over the next few years.

- PS4 is selling well, but Sony can't replicate what the PS2 did in JP + US.

JP Sales - First Eight Weeks
Code:
   HW             Week 8       LTD        

2000 PS2         74,350       1.4 m    (Ap 2000, Famitsu)

2006 PS3         71,727       0.46 m   (Dc 2006, Media Create)      

2014 PS4         13,034       0.52 m   (Ap 2014, Media Create)

The US market is still debatable, but the PS2 is headed for the stratosphere after Feb 2001.

US Sales
Code:
   HW             March       Ja - Mr         March LTD

2001 PS2         0.55 m       1.03 m          2.13 m    

2014 PS4         0.37 m       0.91 m          2.91 m

2007 PS3         0.13 m       0.50 m          1.19 m

That said, analysts expect the PS4 to sell 10 - 12 million units worldwide in 2014 (below PS3 slim)

Weak PS4 software sales (it's perfectly normal) . PS3 is still the breadwinner.

Sony - Game Software Sales (Q1 + Q2 + Q3) -> 283 million units

Sony - Game Software Sales FCT FY13 -> 360 million units

Thanks for interesting data. PS4 shipments are probably nearer 3 million than 2.5 for this quarter though. They announced 4.2m sell trough back in end of december and back then it was basically soldout everywhere so shipments must have been pretty near that number (4.3 - 4.35m ?). Then now in early april they announced 7 million sell trough figure and while it's still in fairly short supply situation is not as bad as it was back in december so maybe something like 7.3 million shipped (?). That would give 3 million shipped PS4s for Q4. Shame that Sony will probably combine PS3 and PS4 numbers again in their financial data so we will not know -.-

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
Jesus H. Christ@ that list. For a fresh console to be out for only 5 months that's damn respectable level of quality and quantity gaming. A lot of those were free to Plus users too!

Anyone expecting much more from this console is on some "High Expectations Asian Father" meme shit.

Top Bottom