• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro Studios Hires Uncharted 3, Darksiders Artists. Crunch Time "This Year"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emhemed

Retro Studios have really impressed with MP series and DKCR, anything from them will certainly get my attention. My wish is they develop the next Zelda game.

add shitty love/heroic stories, bullets and gore?

Quite the opposite. I'm loathing the teeny love story being told in SS as I play it. And not gore, but they would be open to having a character who focuses on other weapons besides the sword, kinda like how SotN expanded on how a Castlevania protagonist played. Having it in "dark times" and telling of a quest which fate doomed? Could be done right. I'd like to see a focus on more vast overworld exploration through lush forests and other terrains rather than needing a certain number of proper "dungeons."

And hopefully, the Darksiders artist is a sign of a more stylized character design. I wouldn't want to see any existing franchise taken in an ultra-realistic direction (save Metroid, but hopefully they're not working on that).

Tony Bernardin's description.

I'm a data visualization engineer who has been developing a highly interactive Virtual Globe over the course of my PhD. In my work I have strived to produce software that was pushing the state of the art while not neglecting practical usability. My Virtual Globe named Crusta has been actively used by Geologists at Davis and is being deployed to further collaborators in academia. The experience has given me appreciation for high-performance, real-time graphics as well as "production"-level software engineering.

Specialties
real-time 3D graphics, data processing, out-of-core processing, software frameworks

NOICE! :D

I would like to see what they can do with Zelda on Wii U, but I certainly would like to see EAD go something akin to the HdD demo, we know it won't be TP-style, so who knows.

But I think Star Fox fits them the most, plus that's another parallel to Rare; Rare made SFA as well. Retro + SF + Wii U = Epic beyond preportions.

But I'd also KILL for a new IP, come on nintendo, let 'em really cut loose!

Also, this kinda makes me think these are sorta "replacements" for the Armature folks that left, they were AAA folks, these are AAA folks, I don't know if whoever took over the Armature folks had such pedigrees, but these guys certainly do!

Nice to see some Red Fly pick ups, they loved working on Wii, so they should feel right at home. No idea who Moonbot is.

hatchx

Banned
Let's see.

- Metroid Prime came out November 2002. Development started late 2000/early 2001.

-Metroid Prime 2 came out November 2004. [/b]The project was around 30% complete three months before its release.[/b]

-Metroid Prime 3 came out August 2007. (transition from GC to Wii). Prime 2 with Wii controls first shown off at TGS 2005. First Prime 3 footage at E3 2006. Title originally planned for November 2006 release but was delayed to August 2007.

-Metroid Prime 3 trilogy came out August 2009. Small development team and project started shortly before Prime 3 was release.

- Donkey Kong Country Returns came out November 2010. Development started in April 2008. Development accelerated at onset of 2010 and began to take shape by E3.

I find that incredibly hard to believe.

Ragus

Banned
I hope it's not Zelda. I love the franchise, but I think that it should get some rest.

Metroid on the other hand.., yes I want a new Metroid.

Darryl

Banned
do you guys really think this'll be zelda? i can't imagine they would make zelda both the swansong to the Wii, and a launch game for Wii U, and i can't imagine retro working on anything other than a launch game or near-launch title.

I'm down for whatever it is, but an original IP (or Startropics) would be nice. Considering how Zelda sells best to Western audiences I could see that happening though.

I want Retro to be like Christian Nolan - Make one movie for the studio (Batman Begins) make one for himself (The Prestige), and from the success the previous ones made, he pretty much gets a blank check for any new movies (The Dark Knight, Inception).

Retro should make one Nintendo owned franchise, than make one new game for themselves. Would be awesome IMO

Well they are a first party of Nintendo so they won't have that kind of freedom.

[Nintex];34161813 said:
The Armature boys had multiple deals that all went south. They wanted to be like Mistwalker but for EA, like thinking up new IP's, prototypes and ideas while someone else developed. But the studio they partnered with at EA got shuttered so they had to build up their own staff to develop games and they actually had a deal with Capcom for a title. For some reason Capcom pulled out so that was gone too so they made some assets for HALO: CEA I believe and if I'm not mistaken they're currently working on a Vita game to be published by Sony.

So the Nintendo curse bit them too.

Maffis

I hope it's not Zelda. I love the franchise, but I think that it should get some rest.

Metroid on the other hand.., yes I want a new Metroid.

It was 6 years from Twilight Princess. We don't need less Zelda, just something different.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.

Picture of his desk:

AggH_tACAAEOogH.jpg:large

Detective GAF UNITE!

Johnas

do you guys really think this'll be zelda? i can't imagine they would make zelda both the swansong to the Wii, and a launch game for Wii U, and i can't imagine retro working on anything other than a launch game or near-launch title.

Not really that far-fetched, imo. Technically, Wii only had one Zelda game (TP was a GC game with added Wii controls).

Two completely different studios, potentially overlapping development times. It could happen.

Picture of his desk:

AggH_tACAAEOogH.jpg:large

Detective GAF UNITE!

Gold Zelda 1 cart, Zelda confirmed. :p

Hiltz

[Nintex];34162340 said:
I'm not sure but I recall some rumblings about Retro Studios starting this new project before Donkey Kong Country: Returns shipped.

Jocchan and I were thinking that Retro might've been behind that Zelda tech-demo that Nintendo didn't want to say much about. As a proof of concept or something, pure speculation.

I'll try to search for info on it but rumors leaked about Retro working on a new Wii U game back in April 2011. The source came from Paul Gale Network who claimed they were informed by some Retro Studio staff about its next project. It was also said that Retro was among the first to obtain a Wii U dev kit.

Whatever project it is working on, I think we're looking at a early 2013 release unless Retro is working its ass off to get it done within Nintendo's potentially strict deadline. It's possible we could get a brief teaser trailer at E3.

[Nintex];34162075 said:
I don't think Nintendo would invest this kind of money in a project that isn't Mario, Zelda or something new that they aim to be equal in size.

The last new(non port) Star Fox was patched together with string and bubblegum by Namco's B-team.

The last Metroid game was a financial disaster.

Wasn't SFAssult by Project Aces? Certainly the best team at Namco to do the job. Baffling how that could screw up.

[Nintex]

I'll try to search for info on it but rumors leaked about Retro working on a new Wii U game back in April 2011. The source came from Paul Gale Network who claimed they were informed by some Retro Studio staff about its next project. It was also said that Retro was among the first to obtain a Wii U dev kit.

Whatever project it is working on, I think we're looking at a early 2013 release. It will look good if Nintendo releases Wii U in Q4 2012.

Nah it were some job postings for a next-generation game. Paul Gale came afterwards.

It's always funny to see people talking about "crowning achievements" before they've actually delivered something that meets that description.

How about you deliver the final product, and then the rest of us will let you know if this was your crowning achievement.

Ahasverus

I think Miyamoto's quote and Onuma repeatedy saying that "there won't be any zelda like the past ones" hint great things... oh God of gaming let it be true

Wasn't SFAssult by Project Aces? Certainly the best team at Namco to do the job. Baffling how that could screw up.

The flying portions and multiplayer were quite good. It was the fact that so much of the game were these drawn out on-foot and multivehicle arena levels, which weren't bad, but didn't compare to the traditional levels.

KingK

I'm a huge fan of Retro and Naughty Dog (two of my absolute favorite dev studios), so this excites me a lot. Haven't played Darksiders, but I heard good things about it.

Although I just realized that this will probably be a WiiU game. Fuck, now I'll have to get a WiiU eventually. I probably won't have any money for new consoles for 2 or 3 years.

Very much doubt it's Zelda - not so soon after Skyward Sword.

I am guessing it could be one of three things:

The guy worked on Uncharted, right? I think somebody that's worked on Uncharted's jungle/tomb/temple settings would be ideally suited to a Donkey Kong title. Could it be a 3D platformer with an expansive jungle setting?

Metroid Prime. Metroid's art would look glorious on a HD machine. Also Metroid + Uncharted could equal something like Chozo Ruins but on a grander scale. Could be absolutely stunning.

An original IP altogether.

Any one of these I'd be happy with!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom