• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MS all new hardware is out now and Creator's update is a go for Win 10

Veon

Neo Member
Windows upgrade assistant was awful for me, it took 2 - 4 hours to download the upgrade and no, it wasn't my internet connection.

Anyway, the update is pretty meh for me.

Buggy installation for me - this is on a 2 day old fresh install of Windows 10 Pro Creators Update. First off, the download was quick but the install took a really long time especially after 70%.

I had the installer run overnight but came back to a blank black screen even after multiple restarts. Somehow it booted right into my desktop after I guessed that it was at the login prompt and I was able to increase my brightness and things are okay now.

What a weird update, though I don't see any noticeable difference to performance either.

This update is causing some weird flickering issue in my games and I can't figure out whats the cause specifically. Only thin elements (UI) flicker and it's driving me crazy.

Edit: disabled game mode seems to have fixed the issue.

clav

This piece of shit update had to break something critical for me of course... I have no more sound coming from my TV connected via HDMI. The bars move, it shows like it's all working fine, but no dice. I read there are currently problems with the Realtek High Definition Audio drivers and there is no fix... yikes.

Delete the driver and use the Windows built-in one provided by MS.

Version should match the OS build number.

Heh, figures, Rocket League's running at 134-139 FPS now. To be expected I suppose, but boy howdy a 10 FPS drop right out the gate

Heard PUBG might actually fare better now, lets hope thats true

wow its worse than I thought, capping framerate at 120 saw drops to the 110's. I can cap it above 144 but now my frametimes are garbage.

if I search for gamebar in settings it shows 2 options, neither of which actually link to any settings panes or apps, and the xbox app's gameDVR settings menu crashes. 10/10 microsoft

epmode

GSYNC seems to have stopped working in getting tearing in games now. Anyone else?
This hasn’t been happening to me but I’ve heard about issues with Windows 10’s Game Mode being automatically turned on in certain games which can apparently screw with G-Sync. Make sure that MS Game Bar is turned on and press WIN+G while in a game. Check the settings and turn game mode off if it’s on. I believe this setting is enabled on a game by game basis, unfortunately.

This completely borked my start menu and. Majority of my pinned app tiles on both the start menu and taskbar are either invisible it non existent. Can search for the apps in the store and they are still installed and can be launched from there. Ridiculous. Laptop updated from Windows update. Didn't do it manually.

Tevious

From the comments here, it sounds like they broke shit... again. I'm staying away from this update for now.

time to figure out how to roll back, uhg, rocket league feels like garbo. you'd think these changes would be OFF by default, especially when the game settings menu is broken, yet it still forces its changes :\

RedToad64

Heh, figures, Rocket League's running at 134-139 FPS now. To be expected I suppose, but boy howdy a 10 FPS drop right out the gate

Heard PUBG might actually fare better now, lets hope thats true

wow its worse than I thought, capping framerate at 120 saw drops to the 110's. I can cap it above 144 but now my frametimes are garbage.

if I search for gamebar in settings it shows 2 options, neither of which actually link to any settings panes or apps, and the xbox app's gameDVR settings menu crashes. 10/10 microsoft
You can notice a difference in frame rate in the hundreds? That’s... pretty impressive.

You can notice a difference in frame rate in the hundreds? That's... pretty impressive.

It was less about the lost frames, and more about the inconsistency. I typically hover in the 140 range, don't think it drops below 140, maybe even 142. After the update it was oscillating 5-10 frames lower than you'd cap it with RTSS, so the frametime graph was all over the gaf, felt horrible.

Rolled back, and the game settings menu shows up again, 10/10 how bizarre

I imagine this isn't the case for everyone but I'm gonna avoid this update till I hear much better things, cause that was a terrible first impression

should've SS my frametimes said:
VU55OQZ.png

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
Oh dear lord, I went to sleep with this crap at 39%, hoping it might make some progress while I was asleep. Instead, it crapped out at 12:30AM and said it failed. When I went to retry, it just started the whole damn download all over again. I guess I get at least another day of an update that few seem to be liking crippling my entire Internet connection.

Akai__

I can't even install the update and I'm already using the assistance tool. Whenever it gets to the point, where it asks you to reboot, my PC reboots, gets stuck at 54%, then reboots an other 6 times and then it fails and reverts back to what it was before. lol

Not yet, haven't seen myTube or Groove show up on the sound mixer yet. Wonder if they'll eventually replace the entire thing with a UWP equivalent.

So stupid... I don't want to use 3rd party software for such simple and normal features...

emag

OP should be updated to remind folks to disable game mode and full-screen optimizations (individually for each game).

Also, the OneDrive desktop software (not Store app) may need to be separately/manually updated to enable files on demand functionality.

XBlade

Neo Member
So i just talked to someone from the live get help app they have now and it seems for many, including me, the windows store is broken and some of its apps. Windows store for me can't be found in search and can only be opened from an external web link, and the XBOX app for example is missing lol. They said they are aware and are going to patch it later.. What a disaster :(

jelly

Downloading....99%......retry......0%. Good times.

I did a clean install the last time but can't be bothered to do it again with this release and that's my reward. Boo!

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
This BS is infuriating. It just keeps taking 12-13 hours of 100% network usage to get to the point at which it fails, then completely starts the download from the beginning again. My entire network has been almost totally crippled for the past one and a half days now.

shockdude

I'm honestly still surprised that my laptop, which came with Windows 8.1, has survived every single Windows 10 upgrade to date without needing a fresh install.
Though I haven't had the chance to run any games yet...

Amagon

How do you get the phone to display on Windows?

I'm using a LG G6, and had downloaded the most recent update for Windows as well as setup Cortana, Microsoft Launcher on my phone and enable screen sharing.

I had linked up my phone in the Settings but when I go to Connect. It tells me my pc or mobile device doesn't support Miracast, so it can't project wirelessly.

Any tips or solutions.

shockdude

How do you get the phone to display on Windows?

I'm using a LG G6, and had downloaded the most recent update for Windows as well as setup Cortana, Microsoft Launcher on my phone and enable screen sharing.

I had linked up my phone in the Settings but when I go to Connect. It tells me my pc or mobile device doesn't support Miracast, so it can't project wirelessly.

Any tips or solutions.
Oh wow I just got screen mirroring to work with my LG G4. That's awesome.

In Windows, in Settings > System > Projecting to this PC, make sure you've enabled projecting to this PC.
In your phone settings, look for something like Share & connect > Miracast and enable it You should see your PC, connect to it.
Your PC will get a notification asking to connect your phone; allow it.
If it doesn't work, go back to your phone and try connecting to your PC again.

Primus

Something odd post-Fall Creator's Update: several of my games, notably Warframe and Skyforge, load up much faster than they used to. Seconds faster. This is with Game Bar and Game Mode disabled, just like it was pre-update.

Friend of mine is seeing the same thing, several seconds faster load times on starting Shadow of War.

EDIT: I'm on twin SSDs, he's on a SSD+HDD system. In my case, games are on SSD. In his, HDD.

longdi

Banned
the check for update is the worst part of W10, always always cant get it to run properly on the first attempt when it comes to major updates.

That said, did this new update slowed down the shut down times? It seems to auto-open chrome on next boot.

Sciortino

This update has caused my screen to flicker during boot up. Doesnt flicker at any other time besides during boot up. Weird.

The Emoji Picker isn't working for me. After some searching, people in non-US regions are having trouble, except I'm in the US and everything is set to English or US-English. Tried Windows + . and Windows + ; but it doesn't pop up in anything.I just get the period or the semi-colon.

On the plus side, the update fixed MAME for me. I couldn't pinpoint why I couldn't double-click to run MAME on my desktop as it would crash every single time and had to start it using Powershell. After the update, I can double click it. Weird.

Edit:

Well fuck me. I guess it wasn't finished updating. Checked the version and everything, and it was the Creator's Update, but after I rebooted there was some more updates installed and now I see the emoji picker.

Top Bottom