• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TERA News, Information, & Beta Thread

En Masse Entertainment comments on CBT1:

Scapes said:
En Masse Entertainment is pleased to share details regarding the first of several closed beta tests for its upcoming action MMO, TERA, which took place February 10-12. Launching on May 1, TERA represents a leap forward in MMO combat with real-time, contextual attacks and an emphasis on player skill instead of statistics.

The weekend started with the En Masse team spending Friday evening in the office watching the world of TERA come to life as players began to appear in-game. The team was struck and delighted to see players come into the game and instantly start swinging their weapons wildly. Right off the bat, expectations for an MMO were shattered as players found that clicking their mouse didn’t activate some UI element or start a cooldown timer, but instead fired off the slash of a sword or a bolt of energy.

This being the first large-scale test of the game, though, the weekend was not without some hiccups. The team experienced a few crashes while settling on their platform and game configurations. In addition, players worked together and formed virtual lines to kill the evil Vekas. Such queuing was not ideal or intentional, but did serve as a good learning lesson for the developers. When thousands of players collide, the unexpected happens. These are the elements that make MMOs so great and yet so challenging to develop and perfect. The En Masse team learned a great deal from CBT1 and will put those lessons to good use as we ramp up for CBT2.

Players were given the opportunity to explore the game’s opening sequence, the Island of Dawn. They dove into play, learned their skills, and jumped into TERA’s action-packed combat. They battled monsters and demons while searching for clues about the fate of the federation’s greatest hero. After conquering the island’s challenges, they forged ahead to Arcadia, where they helped broker a fragile peace with the faeries, uncovered the existence of the secretive Scions of Lok—to say nothing of their ties to the deva bandits in Oblivion Woods—and rendered aid to the embattled soldiers in the Valley of Titans, fighting off the Gutrend kulkari tribe. Their investigation continued as they followed clues about a secret base in Oblivion Woods, where they learned the truth: the Scions of Lok planned to wrest control of Arcadia from the Valkyon Federation. The cult’s plans didn’t end there, though, and the Scions launched an assault on the last federation outpost in the Celestial Hills—one narrowly defeated by our heroes.

Here are two points that stood out from CBT1:
The female castanic warrior was the most popular race and class combination.

In Oblivion Woods, players encountered their first BAM, a basilisk. The basilisk accounted for nearly two-thirds of all deaths during the course of the beta test, and is certainly telling of the unique challenge BAMs present to players, as well as the challenges presented by TERA’s unique skill-based combat system.

This weekend was a big success both in terms of players getting hands-on time with TERA and for showing the team what they need to refine before the game’s May 1 release. The community is excited for the next test over the weekend of February 24-26, and will expand on the first closed beta test by opening up a PvP server and adding five more levels to explore. Be on the lookout for great—and evil—things around the corner. En Masse looks forward to seeing the world of TERA come alive once again.

Weird. I bought the sneak peek key last week, and have had no problem getting in last weekend and today.

And despite some grim lag it was a pretty smooth experience. No disconnects or crashes. Though it was a bit tiring waiting around and spawncamping mobs. It was heavily crowded in the starting zones.

If you bought it it wasn't a sneak peek key, you got a key for Closed beta and headstart.

Type2

LOL I wonder how many of those "female castanic warriors" knew they rolled a tank class and no THAT WONT be changing.

Yeah that was rather surprising to me. Then again though im sure rogues are popular in all mmos and the dps side of the warrior along with the pvp aspects fit in that regard.

I'm wondering if some of the popularity is due to subliminal side effects. A female Castanic warrior is placed prominently in all EME marketing materials.

kiryogi

Banned
Those of you hoping that Tera's PvP will be like original UO will probably be disappointed come launch. I'm betting EME has their best trollfaces on and are hoping the community tears itself to shreds on the CB2 PvP server so they have an excuse to implement the Korean-style penalties system for PKing come launch and if anybody complains about it they'll just point to how terrible the CB2 PvP server was and how you couldn't even step out of Lumbertown without being instantly ganked and laugh at everyone who brought it on themselves.

Unless PSO2 is dramatically different from PSO/PSU, neither Vindictus nor PSO2 are really MMOGs. They are more like Diablo except with an MMOG-style shared lobby. Tera is really an MMOG from start to finish, the only thing which might be like it is GW2.
Yes, I realize that the former are instanced on comparison, and infact even said MMO/Online to be specific. The thing I'm comparing is the combat, and I praised Tera regardless. I mean the big thing about Tera vs the other. two is that it is an actual big open world. But again, the combat isn't as indepth or visceral as the two. Yet still above everything else out there like WOW and TOR.

Progress!

Knoxxer said:
The current implementation of GvG isn't consensual which goes against a PvE server. This seems to be a pretty requested feature so we are investigating it.

I posted in the thread with my official suggestion request on the forum: http://tera-forums.enmasse.com/forums/cbt1-bugs-suggestions/topics/Suggestion-Add-Consensual-Guild-VS-Guild-Content-to-PVE-Servers

And, a follow up by Knoxxer:

Knoxxer said:
This is very similar to what we are proposing. Great post.

Awesome.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Yeah that was rather surprising to me. Then again though im sure rogues are popular in all mmos and the dps side of the warrior along with the pvp aspects fit in that regard.

The problem is they do shit dps compared to the real dps classes, and the future fixes are going to be tank and group synergy fixes for both LANCER AND WARRIOR. So they will most likely stay down on the bottom.

There is a new class coming by the end of the year though, that will prob be the speedy dps class everyone wants.

The problem is they do shit dps compared to the real dps classes, and the future fixes are going to be tank and group synergy fixes for both LANCER AND WARRIOR. So they will most likely stay down on the bottom.

There is a new class coming by the end of the year though, that will prob be the speedy dps class everyone wants.

I just hope the "speedy DPS class" if they decide to make one ISN'T a fucking dagger class. Fuck daggers, I want swords. A single sword, a katana, dual wielding like Warrior, whatever, just not a goddamn dagger.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I was laughing pretty hard seeing all those new threads popping up complaining about the warrior class.

The best one was. "PLZ JUST MAKE WARRIOR DPS" I face palmed pretty hard.

I just hope the "speedy DPS class" if they decide to make one ISN'T a fucking dagger class. Fuck daggers, I want swords. A single sword, a katana, dual wielding like Warrior, whatever, just not a goddamn dagger.

I honestly want to see some sort of battle mage type. Blink away for a dodge then range attacks while moving back in to melee. Would work pretty well in PvE honestly. There is no lighting magic used in the game at all, so maybe they could use that. Give them a one handed sword and book/crystal/staff what ever.

The way I see warrior is that they have been slowly figuring out and building them up over time. They can main tank everything once you know everything, but the end result in future raid content and such I can see them being the main off tank on fights with adds that way once the adds are down they can go back to doing below average dps but better than having a second lancer. They will NEVER be a dps class though. People can go roll slayer if they want to roll around swinging swords and shit.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
The best one was. "PLZ JUST MAKE WARRIOR DPS" I face palmed pretty hard.

So damn good. :lol

The way I see warrior is that they have been slowly figuring out and building them up over time. They can main tank everything once you know everything, but the end result in future raid content and such I can see them being the main off tank on fights with adds that way once the adds are down they can go back to doing below average dps but better than having a second lancer. They will NEVER be a dps class though. People can go roll slayer if they want to roll around swinging swords and shit.

As a priest player I'm really looking forward to those who do decide to tank as a warrior and actually make an effort to learn their class. It will also put me in the situation where I have to focus on where to drop my healing circles so they can dodge/roll to it easily.

They will NEVER be a dps class though. People can go roll slayer if they want to roll around swinging swords and shit.

A lot of people who wanted DPS Warriors specifically wanted the quick, normal sized sword-wielder though, so Slayer doesn't quite cut it. I know I personally prefer normal sized weapons to the now standard oversized greatsword or giant polearm/axe/whatever, which is why I won't be playing Slayer or Berserker.

However, I'm okay with Warriors being off-tanks. I'm fine with them being potential main tanks (not likely if K-Tera is any indication, but it's possible) too, I'm just happy they don't have complete garbage damage now like they did before.

EDarkness

I think this is where they made a mistake. The two melee damage dealing classes are slow and plodding heavy weapon users. There's no fast and furious damage dealer and the one class you would expect to be that way is actually a tank. They could have easily had a traditional sword and board style which would have fit well within people expectations.

I play the Japanese version and my first character was a Slayer, but I later rolled a Warrior just to see how it was and you'd be surprised at how often someone complains about not being able to be a pure damage dealer. I feel like this perception is going to dog the class for as long as the game is live. Perhaps they'll find some middle ground, but I wouldn't be surprised if at some point they relent and give Warriors the ability to be a straight up damage dealer. In my opinion, this wouldn't be a bad idea. Lancers are pretty much the main tank and I rarely see groups wanting a warrior for tanking (not saying they can't), so that puts Warriors in some crazy position.

Some interesting tidbits from a fan translated interview with BHS Director, Dong-gun Lee, regarding the Argon Queen update:

Dong-gun Lee said:
Three new types of boss monsters appear, they will feature very different patterns from the current ones. For example, the monster can capture a player's character or pull out a tree or other objects and throw them at the player, another can split its body into multiple pieces.

Dong-gun Lee said:
With the new reputation system, players can take 6 daily quests between lvl 58-60. There are 9 different types of reputation points which players can spend on new accessories, new mounts, equipment or consumables.

Dong-gun Lee said:
The Dark Rifts will be nice a challenge for players, while the participants can receive buffs that raise attack speed for example they have to be prepared for some side effects like a debuff that constantly drains the HP of players. To replenish your health you have to battle monsters and grab the HP replenishing motes they drop.

Dong-gun Lee said:
According to the feedback we received so far, Warriors are capable of maintaining a tanking role but their aggro abilities are somewhat hard to control. With the new update we intend to lower that difficulty so that Warriors can further play a tanking role. We are also considering to introduce a 'Parry' skill which has been requested by players many times. Additionally, the new Stack System should also help them secure a spot in parties (DPS build).

Dong-gun Lee said:
The new green crystals can be slotted into earrings and rings. Instead of having the usual "attack the monster from the rear and you get this and that" we wanted to give players continuously generating effects.

Dong-gun Lee said:
As for the accessories that were mentioned earlier, the vanity items will be available through achievements. The improvements in the crafting system will also allow players to acquire certain items. Spending your reputation points will get you unique rewards.

Source/Complete Translated Transcript

Valnen

A lot of people who wanted DPS Warriors specifically wanted the quick, normal sized sword-wielder though, so Slayer doesn't quite cut it. I know I personally prefer normal sized weapons to the now standard oversized greatsword or giant polearm/axe/whatever, which is why I won't be playing Slayer or Berserker.

However, I'm okay with Warriors being off-tanks. I'm fine with them being potential main tanks (not likely if K-Tera is any indication, but it's possible) too, I'm just happy they don't have complete garbage damage now like they did before.

Yup. Also classes aren't supposed to have only one viable role in an MMO anymore. Every good game has abandoned that EQ-like design. I'm actually starting to have doubts about the depth of this game and it's longevity.

Type2

Idk im rolling one cause I like the tanking aspect of it. Who knows maybe this next patch (part 1 and 2) will balance out the warrior a little better. I dont mind playing an underdog class, I shine at making myself great at it.
haha the dps warriors are definitely not rogues that much I can tell.

SDBurton

I think this is where they made a mistake. The two melee damage dealing classes are slow and plodding heavy weapon users. There's no fast and furious damage dealer and the one class you would expect to be that way is actually a tank. They could have easily had a traditional sword and board style which would have fit well within people expectations.

That's the Lancer. Just with lances instead lol.

I play the Japanese version and my first character was a Slayer, but I later rolled a Warrior just to see how it was and you'd be surprised at how often someone complains about not being able to be a pure damage dealer.

Simply because they didn't read the small tidbit that the Warrior is a dodge tanking class. lol

I feel like this perception is going to dog the class for as long as the game is live.

I disagree, I feel that people who are up to the challenge will try a warrior out and make an effort to learn their stuff. People complaining right now are the ones who didn't bother to read the fine print and just went in under the impression that the warrior was your generic dps class. Those who knew before hand are actually enjoying them from what I've been reading.

Perhaps they'll find some middle ground, but I wouldn't be surprised if at some point they relent and give Warriors the ability to be a straight up damage dealer. In my opinion, this wouldn't be a bad idea. Lancers are pretty much the main tank and I rarely see groups wanting a warrior for tanking (not saying they can't), so that puts Warriors in some crazy position.

Just give it time. Soon enough there will be legit warrior tanks and those who couldn't will simply switch to slayer or berserker. Warriors are listed as 5 stars for a reason.

Type2

Some interesting tidbits from a fan translated interview with BHS Director, Dong-gun Lee, regarding the Argon Queen update:

Source/Complete Translated Transcript
This is highly promising, once they start varying up the boss patterns and introducing new mechanics like this itll give the game some legs. I for one am really happy this game has such focus on 5mans, it makes it easier to play with the people you want to and remain casual but competitive.

Izayoi

Banned
Streamed K-TERA for a few hours tonight.

I talk a lot, answer some questions, run a few dungeons, and solo some BAMs. All level 53+ content.

One hour in are two basically back-to-back boss fights.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Inven: Warriors as tanks is still a hot topic among the community, how does the newly introduced Stack System affect their tanking abilities?

Lee: According to the feedback we received so far Warriors are capable of maintaining a tanking role but their aggro abilities are somewhat hard to control. With the new update we intend to lower that difficulty so that Warriors can further play a tanking role. We are also considering to introduce a 'Parry' skill which has been requested by players many times.

Additionally, the new Stack System should also help them secure a spot in parties.

While Lancers are seen as traditional tankers, we think that Warriors will have a new, fun way of tanking. PvP will be also a lot more interesting and fun with the new system.

A parry? FUCK YES GIVE ME :D
warriors will NEVER be dps

Type2

Streamed K-TERA for a few hours tonight. If anyone is interested, it's archived here.

http://www.twitch.tv/yinwaru/b/308925044

I talk a lot, answer some questions, run a few dungeons, and solo some BAMs. All level 53+ content.

Ive watched about 40mins or so and its been enjoyable. I wont be able to touch the beta until next weekend so i have no idea how character building works. Are there no talents? Its just glyphs? Are they easy to swap out in a way where i can have two builds on a single character?
Im thinking duel specs in wow for a reference.

Arveene

Neo Member
Ive watched about 40mins or so and its been enjoyable. I wont be able to touch the beta until next weekend so i have no idea how character building works. Are there no talents? Its just glyphs? Are they easy to swap out in a way where i can have two builds on a single character?
Im thinking duel specs in wow for a reference.

No dual specs, but I did get an item from eggs that lets you respec your glyph points anywhere for free. I'll definitely be keeping a few of those on-hand at all times. Eggs are consumable items that you get for most quests. You can combine the eggs you get from normal quests with the ones from BAM quests to make a better quality egg and that's where I've gotten the respec item as well as nice heal consumables from.

@Izayoi: Hop in vent when you get a chance.

Edit: I'm looking into setting up a stream for K-TERA as well since it looks like we have some people who are going to be playing a warrior here.

Streamed K-TERA for a few hours tonight. If anyone is interested, it's archived here.

This is really cool.

I'm going to roll a Zerker in CB at some point just to see what it's like compared to Slayer. I'm going to end up with some kind of melee DPS as my main and a healer of some sort as an alt, so I'm interested in your commentary about Zerker vs. Slayer and Priest vs. Mystic.

edit: "I only know how to pronounce 'Elin' because they're the only race that matters." Dropping the truth bombs, I see.

syoaran

This might have been mentioned before, so sorry if I missed it: but what server are EU Gaf'ers playing on in the CB1-4? Is there a guild structure?

How many EU peeps we got? I've only got 3 tagged on the guild site at the moment. People still aren't registering with their GAF names and so I don't always know who is who. As people join up I'm trying to tag daily but I can only do this if I know who you are!

If you don't know how to change your Display Name, mouse over your name on the upper right corner of the page, and click Account Settings in the drop-down menu. The Display Name field that appears is freely editable since your real account name is an assigned Enjin account number.

How many EU peeps we got? I've only got 3 tagged on the guild site at the moment. People still aren't registering with their GAF names and so I don't always know who is who. As people join up I'm trying to tag daily but I can only do this if I know who you are!

If you don't know how to change your Display Name, mouse over your name on the upper right corner of the page, and click Account Settings in the drop-down menu. The Display Name field that appears is freely editable since your real account name is an assigned Enjin account number.

I'm on EU as well and wouldn't mind joining a GAF guild to have fun together and help out when needed as long as there's no requirement to be online at certain times.

Scum

Warriors are Off-Tanks, right? Or did I think that wrong? I'm still going to try out a Warrior as my main. Enjoyed it. Maybe create an alt Slayer at a later date.

SDBurton

You seem pretty jazzed with Mystic healers. How well do they do in dungeons? Their buffs seem amazing but from what I've read on the forums they can't heal through burst damage which kind of puts me off.

At this point it seems like a Priest in a party is the safer option, but you won't be clearing a dungeon as fast as a Mystic healer due to their attack and crit buffs.

BadTaste

A whole guild of level 22's were outside Velikas at the Horse ranch killing lowbies.. was amusing to watch but I felt bad at the same time lol.

Top Bottom