• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PLAYERUNKNOWNS BATTLEGROUNDS Early Access Thread: This Is Battle Royale

trh

Nifty AND saffron-colored!
Picked this up about 10 days ago. I've spent about 25 hours on this game, have gotten chicken dinners and man, I love that feeling of playing a good round, but this game is hot garbage. It's such a buggy, janky mess on a level that feels like it's beyond patching. It's like the very core of it is messed up, and would need a new engine and complete overhaul to fix. I guess they have the money to do that, but I'm not gonna hold my breath. Hopefully another developer comes along and executes on the Battle Royale premise better. It can be really fucking fun tho, especially squad matches where the chances of suddenly dying out of nowhere is reduced, but the game is a bit too friendly towards being passive. I either play to have fun, or I play to win, and I wish I could do both without compromise.

I both love and hate this game, but I think I'm kind of done with it for now.

Aselith

Man, this game is getting kind of unacceptable in terms of server performance. Having the server constantly lag and freeze up is really not good

Picked this up about 10 days ago. I've spent about 25 hours on this game, have gotten chicken dinners and man, I love that feeling of playing a good round, but this game is hot garbage. It's such a buggy, janky mess on a level that feels like it's beyond patching. It's like the very core of it is messed up, and would need a new engine and complete overhaul to fix. I guess they have the money to do that, but I'm not gonna hold my breath. Hopefully another developer comes along and executes on the Battle Royale premise better. It can be really fucking fun tho, especially squad matches where the chances of suddenly dying out of nowhere is reduced, but the game is a bit too friendly towards being passive. I either play to have fun, or I play to win, and I wish I could do both without compromise.

I both love and hate this game, but I think I'm kind of done with it for now.

I mean yeah it has issues but its early access for a reason. Tons of stuff is in development for it I wouldn't assume the issues you have with it can't be fixed.

Blizzard

Banned
This game is about a thousand times better than something like Day-Z was in terms of engine performance, glitchy behavior, etc. I die constantly yet I usually have 60-80 fps with a midrange graphics card and rarely feel the game is to blame for my death besides occasional 1.5 foot high walls (and there's a planned fix for that upcoming).

TheRed

Just won a solo first person chicken dinner, the last guy died to the playzone before I ever saw him. weird mix of hype for winning and unsatsfaction for not getting the last kill. At least I killed the #3 guy.

Blizzard

Banned
Has it ever been confirmed if they turned on matchmaking for the first-person modes? I feel like there's massive skill disparity there so I've been assuming it's off for testing.

Sentenza

Picked this up about 10 days ago. I've spent about 25 hours on this game, have gotten chicken dinners and man, I love that feeling of playing a good round, but this game is hot garbage. It's such a buggy, janky mess on a level that feels like it's beyond patching..
Few people keep saying this but I just don't see it.

That's more or less what I expected when this started to gain traction and popularity ("Look, another survival-multiplayer that looks amateurish at best") and if anything the overall production value impressed me positively.

Most of the animations are far more numerous and competent than I expected, models and weapons are fairly decent looking and with the upcoming addition of climbing and vaulting they are pretty much going to address the "junkiest" thing I'd be incline to complain about right now.

trh

Nifty AND saffron-colored!
Few people keep saying this but I just don't see it.

That's more or less what I expected when this started to gain traction and popularity ("Look, another survival-multiplayer that looks amateurish at best") and if anything the overall production value impressed me positively.

Most of the animations are far more numerous and competent than I expected, models and weapons are fairly decent looking and with the upcoming addition of climbing and vaulting they are pretty much going to address the "junkiest" thing I'd be incline to complain about right now.
I wrote up a bunch of shit that I realize I'm really unqualified to comment on. The main point is that the game has a bunch of issues with how it loads and looks, which seems to me as fixable but low level engine stuff. But more importantly it's incredible unresponsive, from movement and interactions, down to the menus, that I have trouble seeing getting fixed. Again, I know too little to make any real judgements, but those are my issues with the game that seems beyond just repairing. From what I've seen that is a pretty widely held belief.

But more importantly it's incredible unresponsive, from movement and interactions, down to the menus

This is one of my only gripes with the game. Any time I'm forced to enter combat with someone, it feels... off. The movement\gunplay doesn't feel quite as polished as I'm used to in other games. Part of it is because I think everything was designed for 3rd person, but I play in first person which seems to have the same exact movement but just a different perspective.

That said, 99% of the time I'm killed by an enemy I don't see anyways. Winning seems to be more about planning and positioning than anything else (and some luck). So I'm not too upset about the gunplay not feeling super tight.

jediyoshi

But more importantly it's incredible unresponsive, from movement and interactions, down to the menus, that I have trouble seeing getting fixed. Again, I know too little to make any real judgements, but those are my issues with the game that seems beyond just repairing. From what I've seen that is a pretty widely held belief.

For context, have you played any military sims like the old Tom Clancy or Arma games that this game models itself after? What are some shooters that you'd consider "responsive" that'd work in place of this game?

This is one of my only gripes with the game. Any time I'm forced to enter combat with someone, it feels... off. The movement\gunplay doesn't feel quite as polished as I'm used to in other games. Part of it is because I think everything was designed for 3rd person, but I play in first person which seems to have the same exact movement but just a different perspective.

That said, 99% of the time I'm killed by an enemy I don't see anyways. Winning seems to be more about planning and positioning than anything else (and some luck). So I'm not too upset about the gunplay not feeling super tight.

I have 220 hours of PUBG in and i didn't knew from where i was killed like 5 % of the time, and almost always while running in an open field.

I think there is many people who come from another gaming background. Like if you come from CSGO, this game is extremely claustrophobic and panic inducing. However, if you're use to game like ARMA or Squad, it's just normal: if you don't have a cover, you are not safe.

There is various ways to play this game, but it certainly do reward the passive, tactical and defensive approach. I mean, it surely can be boring, but it's what this genre is about.

Nothing wrong about jumping in military base, but it will be random.

baby

to anyone complaininv that they die to enemies they cant see: this is not the games fault. this is called being bad at the game

to anyone complaininv that they die to enemies they cant see: this is not the games fault. this is called being bad at the game

Not really. At some point, you're going to be running towards the next play area. Either because you jumped too far from it or you couldn't find a vehicle. And then you're easy pickings to someone who has a nice position inside the safe zone.

I've killed more people that couldn't see me. Doesn't mean they were bad at the game. Just means I had the better position and they were either looting, or trying to get to the next zone.

Blizzard

Banned
I do feel like there's some sort of mouse smoothing, but I haven't mucked around with INI files to see if you can really fix that. Has there been official confirmation that INI file edits are legal?

I want a raw mouse mode like CSGO or whatnot.

Cartman86

Banned
Not really. At some point, you're going to be running towards the next play area. Either because you jumped too far from it or you couldn't find a vehicle. And then you're easy pickings to someone who has a nice position inside the safe zone.

I've killed more people that couldn't see me. Doesn't mean they were bad at the game. Just means I had the better position and they were either looting, or trying to get to the next zone.

This game "the butterfly effect the game". You put that many people in an environment, slow the pace down and make the environment and positions as important as loot and skill and you have a game of second guessing and seemingly random deaths. Slowing the pace down especially gives the user time to really think about their decisions so they will likely remember "that one time I took the car instead of just running" the choices that ended up in their death while at the time being completely unaware of the choices everyone else made to lead to that moment. The full spectator mode really highlights this.

That being said after 400 hours of this game I can always knows where shots are coming from based on sound unless the person is more than 100 meters away with a silencer. Still die to the person who just came over the hill right next to me the second I looked away though (even in first person) so I certainly get upset and feel like I didn't even get a chance to see them.

LowParry

First hour of just playing is pretty difficult. The fire fights I don't have an issue with, it's just keeping track of the boundaries and where to move I need to get used to. Placed in top 10 my second match. Managed to find the SCAR. Love it

Grassy

Just had a really weird game that might have ended as my best chicken dinner due to how I pulled off the ending. I looted Mylta Power and came away with an SKS and 8x scope, M16, level 3 helmet and armour so I was pretty set. Drove to the centre of the white circle which was just west of the school, on the hills near water town/venice/whatever you call it. Normally this is a pretty high traffic area but I didn't see a single player until the top 20, by which time I was still in the centre of the white circle with a prime spot. I then took out 6 of the top 20 with the SKS and the last white circle was out in the open with a single tree for cover about ~50 metres away, and the only other player was behind it with an M24...

I had the hilltop for protection until I had to move, but I literally had nowhere else to go other than straight towards the tree right out in the open...there was no way I was going to win. So I Yolo'd down the hill straight towards the tree and threw a few nades just to stop them peeking, and as I got a bit further down I noticed my fucking UAZ had rolled down the hill and stopped right on the edge of the white circle within perfect nade throwing distance. I sprinted down to it and Kobe'd a few nades at the tree and got the chicken dinner. UAZ final circle strats...C A L C U L A T E D.

Has it ever been confirmed if they turned on matchmaking for the first-person modes? I feel like there's massive skill disparity there so I've been assuming it's off for testing.

There's no leaderboards or MMR for first-person as it's still in Beta.

First person mode is still very much in Beta and there's still a fair way to go to get it to the standard of some of the other big FPS games. Seeing as they're trying to go down the competitive route they've still got a fair bit of tweaking to do to get it right.

I do feel like there's some sort of mouse smoothing, but I haven't mucked around with INI files to see if you can really fix that. Has there been official confirmation that INI file edits are legal?

I want a raw mouse mode like CSGO or whatnot.

.ini file edits are absolutely fine. I made a post about removing mouse smoothing a few days ago:

I absolutely agree with using the red dot scope and switching to a 4x or whatever when you need it. I also did the .ini tweak to remove mouse smoothing which I found here: https://www.reddit.com/r/PUBATTLEGR...ow_to_actually_disable_mouse_smoothing_it_is/

I use a Razer Mamba with 1300 dpi and no acceleration and the mouse movement instantly felt a lot snappier and tighter. They just need to add a "Raw Mouse Input" option like CS:GO and most other shooters.

vgamer1

I can run overwatch at 100+ fps, but this game struggles to hit 60 on very low. I need more optimization, stat. Very frustrating.

Blizzard

Banned
I can run overwatch at 100+ fps, but this game struggles to hit 60 on very low. I need more optimization, stat. Very frustrating.
Overwatch has 12 players instead of 100, and doesn't have a map that's kilometers wide, which I think are the big performance killers. :p They're aware of optimization and it's been getting better nevertheless.

Akronis

Anyone complaining about the gunplay and movement feeling off hasn't played the game this was originally from, ARMA.

It's supposed to feel incredibly weighty.

Blizzard

Banned
I haven't had many deaths from glitches, but I am seeing lobby bugs in the last day or two.

I keep having the ready button get stuck where no one in the lobby can ready, and you have to restart the game. Playing in a duo I've had this happen like 3-4 times in a row, with both players randomly leaving the team and restarting until it finally starts matchmaking. We ended up using the refresh lobby button and it worked the last time.

Sometimes no Steam friends show up either, or they show up for one person and not the other.

That's only for the AWM and it is only in crates.

Neat!

edit: So I've been farming points to get a gamescom craete before the reset, and I made it all the way to top 20 with a few kills. But there's 5 minutes until reset, so I'm like fuck it, start firing my Groza willy nilly, and it takes me a good 2 minutes before I find someone to kill me(I did not have a grenade)

boy I probably spooked some people.

Mr Swine

Banned
Is it just me or is Pubg getting hammered? A day ago everyone got a invisible building glitch and not managing to get into any game like some sort of connection error

I just can't get the game to run smoothly, even on very low preset. It hitches a lot and the frame rate is all over the place, plus my frame rate halves every time I open the inventory. I've put 5 hours into the game and I can see the appeal but it's so poor technically that I'm struggling to fully enjoy it.

Try it on a SDD if you have one.

Shiiiiit, I had two great duo rounds. The first ended because I just got outplayed by two guys with like 4 people left, the second ended because I got a gun jamming bug with 5 people left. I was even (trying to) prefiring as I turned, but I had to click a second time before my gun awkwardly fired a single shot and he killed both of us. That fucking sucks.

Blizzard

Banned
.ini file edits are absolutely fine. I made a post about removing mouse smoothing a few days ago:
So on one hand thanks, this seems to make the mouse actually feel more responsive.

On the other hand, it seems to possibly hurt my framerate a little, and I haven't killed a single person in something like 8 games since enabling it. Maybe that's a coincidence, but it makes me quite sad.

*edit* Something like 11-13 games now. Not even melee hits are registering for me any more.

valeo

Is it just me or is Pubg getting hammered? A day ago everyone got a invisible building glitch and not managing to get into any game like some sort of connection error

Not just you; it's been pretty rough the last few days.

Early access, everybody! This is the biggest beta test in history.

Anyway, tried FPP, but it feels so bad - how does anyone prefer it to third person? It's like a C-Grade FPS. (understand the advatantage of not being able to 'cheat' and alt look around corners etc, but at the expense of actually having fun.?)

Plus, you can't even see your sick bike stunts, so what is the point in playing?

23qwerty

Anyway, tried FPP, but it feels so bad - how does anyone prefer it to third person? It's like a C-Grade FPS. (understand the advatantage of not being able to 'cheat' and alt look around corners etc, but at the expense of actually having fun.?)

Plus, you can't even see your sick bike stunts, so what is the point in playing?
what?

Tovarisc

So on one hand thanks, this seems to make the mouse actually feel more responsive.

On the other hand, it seems to possibly hurt my framerate a little, and I haven't killed a single person in something like 8 games since enabling it. Maybe that's a coincidence, but it makes me quite sad.

*edit* Something like 11-13 games now. Not even melee hits are registering for me any more.

Melee combat is pure garbage fire for everyone, not just for you. Landing hits isn't consistent.

You must really hate FPS games because FPP in BG is your regular FPS experience.

The main Issue I have with FPP is that on my Logitech headset atleast, the audio swaps from left/right? So if someone shoots on my right side it sounds from the left. It sucks.

So I switched out to my hyper cloud headset and hope that doesn't happen again

Blizzard

Banned
I played a bunch of DayZ and disliked it, for what it's worth.

I just got a #2 finish in first-person solo and it made me so sad. I had a vector from the very start, and had it fully equipped at the end. It's not a gun people ever seemed to expect, with the extended magazine. I even SAW the final person running, and they got close to me without seeing me while I was afraid to take a shot, but I unproned to kill and they dropped prone halfway through my clip to instakill me.

Randam

For me it is just the game design though.
Game is a lot more stressful than I thought it would be after watching some streams?

First round of the day, nother 1PP win. Making a dedicated crouch-jump keybind is a game changer. Jumped out a window and sprayed the last guy down. Got all 4 kills with no helmet.

77EC9CC56B920BA8439AB2DADDB982631AC6CA23

ironmang

First few days playing and I'm liking it. Not the kind of shooter I usually go for and I might eventually get bored of looting houses but I have hope they'll keep updates flowing to keep the interest high for the long run.

valeo

Melee combat is pure garbage fire for everyone, not just for you. Landing hits isn't consistent.

You must really hate FPS games because FPP in BG is your regular FPS experience.

It's really not - even with the FOV changes, it still doesn't feel good.

JDB

Banned
I think people are having issues with the fact that this game actually has weight to movement. It's why you can't just zigzag instantly to avoid bullets. It also means it feels less responsive as a result. I guess I've played too many similar games like Arma and DayZ where I don't even rally notice it anymore, but I can definitely see how it can be jarring for new players.

My mechanical keyboard developed some nasty key chatter recently, and I finally decided to send it away for RMA a few days ago. Using a potato-ass old board in the meantime, I felt like it would hinder my progress in games no end. The first PUBG match I played with it, I came second. Perhaps I should keep using it!

Top Bottom