• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TCL P607 P Series ( the new mid range/budget 4k/HDR recommendation)

Any equivalent TV available in Australia?

Most definitely not in that price range. The closest you'd find here is probably a Hisense 55” 7 Series which is great value for money but still looking at $850+ and that's if you can find a bargain and the actual TV as they've now been replaced by the 8 Series.

HDR peak brightness is pretty much shit but other than that for the price it's an amazing deal.

Just keep in mind for great HDR you need as high numbers as you can get. But again for the money it's real deal.

2-3 months shipping at Amazon basically puts it out of reach of many people. Too bad they don't have stock.

RedAssedApe

Banned
HDR peak brightness is pretty much shit but other than that for the price it's an amazing deal.

Just keep in mind for great HDR you need as high numbers as you can get. But again for the money it's real deal.

2-3 months shipping at Amazon basically puts it out of reach of many people. Too bad they don't have stock.

you can get one from bestbuy right now shipped to you as far as i can tell.

so oleds don't do great hdr? (legit question) cuz this set is rated about the same by rtings and the top oleds seem way below the top LCDs in brightness.

Wag

65" later this year.

What are you talking about? There is no 60" version.

More like the end of the year which is really disappointing. They originally planned to roll all their models out at the same time. It looks like their "C" models will get the bulk of the 65" panels.

Rbk_3

so oleds don't do great hdr? (legit question) cuz this set is rated about the same by rtings and the top oleds seem way below the top LCDs in brightness.

Yes they do, because they have an infinite contrast ratio, they don't require the same brightness as an LED.

The 2 standards to be HDR10 under the UHD Alliance are:

STANDARD 1: More than 1,000 nits peak brightness and less than 0.05nits black level.

STANDARD 2: More than 540 nits brightness and less than 0.0005 nits black level

While standard one demands higher brightness and tolerates a higher black level, standard two tolerates a lower brightness and demands a lower black level. This means manufacturers looking to make LED HDR TVs, which most are, will abide by standard one, while OLED TVs will be able to gain the Ultra HD Premium label by conforming to standard two. Ultimately, it's not about how bright you get, but how much of a jump there is between light and dark.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/opinions/hdr-tv-high-dynamic-television-explained

Norse

Yes they do, because they have an infinite contrast ratio, they don't require the same brightness as an LED.

The 2 standards to be HDR10 under the UHD Alliance are:

STANDARD 1: More than 1,000 nits peak brightness and less than 0.05nits black level.

STANDARD 2: More than 540 nits brightness and less than 0.0005 nits black level

While standard one demands higher brightness and tolerates a higher black level, standard two tolerates a lower brightness and demands a lower black level. This means manufacturers looking to make LED HDR TVs, which most are, will abide by standard one, while OLED TVs will be able to gain the Ultra HD Premium label by conforming to standard two. Ultimately, it's not about how bright you get, but how much of a jump there is between light and dark.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/opinions/hdr-tv-high-dynamic-television-explained

The contrast on the tcl is very good. A very good jump from light to dark. With all the numbers being thrown around I sometimes wonder if people took the time to actually read the full review instead of just the the hot points and specs.

People posting that it's numbers are not high enough to do good HDR but the reviewers say it does HDR very well. You don't get scores like 8.6 in HDR gaming by having crappy HDR.

Another thing I'd like to mention is the 2017 vizio M series is in the same price range but also has 50&65" models available right now. I think the tcl and Vizio M TV's are pretty equal in the budget 4k HDR realm. You can't go wrong with either one. I plan on going to the store and comparing them with my own eyes before making a choice.

Maybe a thread titled "best budget 4k HDR gaming TVs" that keeps a list in the op with current list of best options.

Mrbob

I think he referring to OLED which on a whole is going to give you a much better picture.

So the 3 tiers have emerged it seems:

Best Budget TV: TCLP607

Best MidRange TV: Sony X900E

Best High End TV: LG B6/B7/C7 OLED

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
I think he referring to OLED which on a whole is going to give you a much better picture.

I dunno... from what I've seen, the TCL does some things like local dimming and input lag better than the Sony and has Dolby Vision to boot. I'm not sure there is a really good midrange TV right now.

conpfreak

Is the KS8000/MU8000 not a contender in the mid range TV selection anymore?

The 65 will around $1000, that is the one I am interested in. Both HDR standards and 4K for a good price. CNET previewed the 55 and they like it so far.

Mrbob

I agree the lack of Dolby Vision support hurts the X900E. Still think it's by far the best mid range tv though when considering everything. If Sony adds Dolby Vision support via firmware update it's a true beast of a mid range TV.

Is the KS8000/MU8000 not a contender in the mid range TV selection anymore?

The KS8000 was the king of mid tier but it's impossible to find now and replaced by the MU8000. The MU8000 is a step down from the KS8000.

I'd like to pick up the P605 model from Best Buy. I need around $200 more dollars to do the $799.99 or more 24-month no interest financing there. Can anyone recommend a good sound bar to go with this TV?

The B6 I have has higher rated HDR numbers , sometimes far exceeding what was seen in the review. You really want 1,000 nits for HDR bare min but OLED offers the major advantage of infinite black so when something is bright there are no LCD fallbacks that can be distracting (haloing , uneven backlighting and so on). So it's forgivable that OLED can't hit that bare min number while for an LCD it should be very doable especially with a fully backlight array for local dimming.

This TV is a great deal for the price , far better in many ways but in terms of HDR brightness it's poor and HDR is really what you want to be the best on an LCD. Otherwise even if it has a good color gamut to cover the HDR standard it just won't seem to "pop" as HDR should. The difference between this set and even last years Samsung KS8000 is massive in terms of HDR and if you sat the two next to each other it would stand out even more. But this set has advantages over the KS8000.

Anyway just a bit of advice if HDR is your primary goal then you want that min of 1,000 nits of brightness min covered. Dolby Vision support is great too but it's poorly supported as only a few streaming services , two 4K Blu Rays , one Blu Ray player and like one or two games support it. So HDR numbers and your sets capability with it should be your focus as HDR isn't going anywhere. Dolby Vision however might just never get the widespread support it needs.

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
Not wrong at all to be weary. I refuse to buy Samsung since I had three device failures in as many years, even though I know their stuff is popular. LG has been consistent for me, as has Sony when it comes to TVs.

I'm in the same boat -- exactly as you. Bought a Samsung inverter fridge and it crapped out less than 10 months in. Bought a Samsung inverter airconditioning unit, crapped six months in. Learned my lesson. Bought LG TVs (one 65-inch HDTV and another 65-inch UH7700 4K unit) and all work like a dream. Bought LG fridges and aircons after that.

Sony quality has been consistently good for me as well. Never getting another Samsung electronic device unless it's a phone.

thematic

since we're comparing low end and mid end,
does KS7000 (or KS8000 in US) still offer better HDR quality than TCL P607?
or TCL better AND cheaper?

I might still be able to get KS7000 here in Asia, but I don't think TCL will release P607 sometime in the future

I'm looking for a new 4K HDR TV since I sold my last set to my friend

Thanks

Mrbob

My guess is Vizio doesn't turn off as many TV features as TCL in game mode.

So it's a decision between slightly lower input lag or slightly better visuals on screen and determining what you prefer.

For example, looking at the 2016 Vizio P series review, it seems like Vizio P series TV handles motion better than the TCL so you'll get less blur.

Wag

I watch a lot of 24p material. How does this TV handle 3:2 pulldown? It's a 60Hz TV so you can only expect so much.

Rbk_3

since we're comparing low end and mid end,
does KS7000 (or KS8000 in US) still offer better HDR quality than TCL P607?
or TCL better AND cheaper?

I might still be able to get KS7000 here in Asia, but I don't think TCL will release P607 sometime in the future

I'm looking for a new 4K HDR TV since I sold my last set to my friend

Thanks

KS8000 has better HDR performance, It has well over 2x the peak brightness and a slightly wider color gamut.

RedAssedApe

Banned
I watch a lot of 24p material. How does this TV handle 3:2 pulldown? It's a 60Hz TV so you can only expect so much.

Rtings review

24p movies playing from 24p sources like DVDs and Blu-rays are judder-free on the TCL p and no specific option needs to be turned on, as the TV displays the correct cadence without any extra input from the user. On the other hand, 24p movies playing from 60p/60i sources like cable or satellite boxes will present judder and no option in the TV picture setting is available to remove judder from 24p movies on those sources.

Is this something correctable by firmware or limitation of the hardware?

Stiler

The B6 I have has higher rated HDR numbers , sometimes far exceeding what was seen in the review. You really want 1,000 nits for HDR bare min but OLED offers the major advantage of infinite black so when something is bright there are no LCD fallbacks that can be distracting (haloing , uneven backlighting and so on). So it's forgivable that OLED can't hit that bare min number while for an LCD it should be very doable especially with a fully backlight array for local dimming.

This TV is a great deal for the price , far better in many ways but in terms of HDR brightness it's poor and HDR is really what you want to be the best on an LCD. Otherwise even if it has a good color gamut to cover the HDR standard it just won't seem to "pop" as HDR should. The difference between this set and even last years Samsung KS8000 is massive in terms of HDR and if you sat the two next to each other it would stand out even more. But this set has advantages over the KS8000.

Anyway just a bit of advice if HDR is your primary goal then you want that min of 1,000 nits of brightness min covered. Dolby Vision support is great too but it's poorly supported as only a few streaming services , two 4K Blu Rays , one Blu Ray player and like one or two games support it. So HDR numbers and your sets capability with it should be your focus as HDR isn't going anywhere. Dolby Vision however might just never get the widespread support it needs.

While I agree a higher nits would be nice, not a lot of tv's, especially in this price range, are hitting 1,000+ nits sustained. Even the well reviewed X900E doesn't hit 1,000 nits.

http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/tcl/p607

"On a better note, the HDR performance of the P607 is impressive. Since it has a wide color gamut, great HDR peak brightness, and a decent local dimming feature, HDR content ​looks great and the difference between SDR and HDR movies is really noticeable."

I had a Ks8000 and while it could get bright it had a ton of issues that really took away from it, mainly the poor dimming which created entire pillars of "light" whenever you had a small bright object on screen, instead of simply highlighting that small area it had to highlight an entire pillar and stood out like a sore thumb, totally ruining the picture quality imo.

I'd gladly take slightly less peak brights for a uniform picture that keeps blacks black.

Rbk_3

While I agree a higher nits would be nice, not a lot of tv's, especially in this price range, are hitting 1,000+ nits sustained. Even the well reviewed X900E doesn't hit 1,000 nits.

http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/tcl/p607

"On a better note, the HDR performance of the P607 is impressive. Since it has a wide color gamut, great HDR peak brightness, and a decent local dimming feature, HDR content ​looks great and the difference between SDR and HDR movies is really noticeable."

I had a Ks8000 and while it could get bright it had a ton of issues that really took away from it, mainly the poor dimming which created entire pillars of "light" whenever you had a small bright object on screen, instead of simply highlighting that small area it had to highlight an entire pillar and stood out like a sore thumb, totally ruining the picture quality imo.

I'd gladly take slightly less peak brights for a uniform picture that keeps blacks black.

I bought a bias light strip for the back of my TV off amazon for $20 and haven't noticed that issue since. I liked them so much I also bought them for the plasma upstairs which has no light issues. I don't think it is a TV to watch in a pitch black room.

I'd like to pick up the P605 model from Best Buy. I need around $200 more dollars to do the $799.99 or more 24-month no interest financing there. Can anyone recommend a good sound bar to go with this TV?

It perplexes me that anyone is ready to spend $800 on a 4K TV but doesn't have a proper 5.1 surround sound yet.

If you already have a halfway decent 1080p set stick with it and invest your money in a well-reviewed "inexpensive" AV receiver ($300, and future proof yourself for 4K here), speakers and a subwoofer.

The difference 5.1 surround with a good subwoofer makes is more significant than the difference you'll see in visual quality.

ornery

It perplexes me that anyone is ready to spend $800 on a 4K TV but doesn't have a proper 5.1 surround sound yet.

Because everyone isnt an audiophile, nor does everyone live somewhere that can adequately run a 5.1 surround sound system without bothering others.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights

Yea, I was gonna get this but I dont think I can wait that long. Looking at some Vizio's now.

I want the LG C6 for 3D. I still got some 3D movies...

RedAssedApe

Banned
Yea, I was gonna get this but I dont think I can wait that long. Looking at some Vizio's now.

I want the LG C6 for 3D. I still got some 3D movies...

Amazons estimates are usually pretty conservative. Tcl said mid July for refreshing Amazon stock. It's available at Bestbuy right now and cheaper. Albeit with the cheaper remote.

Because everyone isnt an audiophile, nor does everyone live somewhere that can adequately run a 5.1 surround sound system without bothering others.
If the person is asking for a soundbar, then it seems clear that they can play audio without bothering others. Also they seem to care enough about audio to not want to use TV speakers.

crespo

Neo Member
Not for HDR gaming due to input lag, though...?

I have a 65" P and a 55" KS8000 - the P is better everywhere, even gaming. You may find the charts say the KS8000 has lower input lag, but the difference is negligible in reality, frankly. They both play just as well, in my experience.

(it's all about that localized dimming tho, really sets the P apart).

Top Bottom