• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky - Atlas Rises |OT| Nada, Polo and you no longer fly solo

Baraka in the White House

2-Terms of Kombat
I love a good snow world - found one with freezing storms that I don't want to leave.

Found one with a shitload of gold everywhere so I'm in the mining business now.

On another note, I have an established base but can't use the teleporters to get back and forth between it and space stations. Is this a bug?

My game is so utterly riddled with major bugs I'm getting quite concerned. Broken quest lines, missing quests, broken NPCs...I really hope Hello Games can fix this stuff or my save is fucked. I can't speak to Nada and Polo and their Anomaly never moves, the Atlas quest has vanished and the station won't let me talk to the Atlas Interface, the Awakenings quest is broken in an infinite loop of 'target not in this system > target is in current system'. Basically everything that isn't 'grind units for a bigger freighter' is busted.

PC or console? Report it all if you can: https://hellogames.zendesk.com/hc/en-us

I was super excited for this game pre-launch and just never got around to playing, then got bummed at all the negative word of mouth. I think I'm ready just to jump in finally. I assume it is much closer now to what folks were expecting at launch?

theWB27

I was super excited for this game pre-launch and just never got around to playing, then got bummed at all the negative word of mouth. I think I'm ready just to jump in finally. I assume it is much closer now to what folks were expecting at launch?

Save for a few things that most of us have mostly come to grips (probably) won't make it into this version....yep.

The procedural generation is in a very good spot. May run into some hiccups but it seems Hello has been relatively quick in addressing them.

mokeyjoe

It's closer - but some people were expecting crazy stuff, so it's hard to tell.

I liked it since launch, but I get the sense this latest one is more interesting for most new players. Just jump in and enjoy the story - it's well executed and allows for plenty of freeform gameplay while still providing a sense of purpose.

I think it's also important to remember that the game will continue to get big free updates every few months. So while issues and and deficiencies remain, it's looking very healthy in that regard. Of all the space sims out there at the moment, it's probably been the best at that.

Alastor3

My game is so utterly riddled with major bugs I'm getting quite concerned. Broken quest lines, missing quests, broken NPCs...I really hope Hello Games can fix this stuff or my save is fucked. I can't speak to Nada and Polo and their Anomaly never moves, the Atlas quest has vanished and the station won't let me talk to the Atlas Interface, the Awakenings quest is broken in an infinite loop of 'target not in this system > target is in current system'. Basically everything that isn't 'grind units for a bigger freighter' is busted.

Is it your save file from launch or a new 1.3 one?

The creatures aren't what they should be, but aside from that and a few deficiencies (minor to some, bigger to others) it's pretty much the game Sean talked about now. Aside from some balancing issues and QoL problems around the grind, the gameplay loop is solid and being a space trader now seems like a viable alternative gameplay style. The added 30 hours of story is from what I hear very solid. I expect the creatures will get a big update because I think HG probably knows they aren't what they should be. So in my opinion this is a very safe purchase at this point, especially knowing that HG is committed to more (very likely) free updates in the future.

Hawk269

Can anyone give me any tips on settings for PC? I have a I7-3930k at 4.8, 2 Titan XP's OC (cant remember the speed), 16gb RAM. Game runs like ass at 4k. Starts out at 60, then will drop to 30 and stick to it for the most part with some spikes back to 60. It is pretty much all over the place. Tried turning off AA, turned off Motion Blur, turned down shadows to medium and it still runs shitty.

MaKTaiL

Photo mode is a god send! I'm gonna run out of space on my PS4 pretty soon at this rate.

PS_Messages_20170820_020846.jpg

Can anyone give me any tips on settings for PC? I have a I7-3930k at 4.8, 2 Titan XP's OC (cant remember the speed), 16gb RAM. Game runs like ass at 4k. Starts out at 60, then will drop to 30 and stick to it for the most part with some spikes back to 60. It is pretty much all over the place. Tried turning off AA, turned off Motion Blur, turned down shadows to medium and it still runs shitty.

Turn off v sync in game and enable v sync and triple buffering in NVCP. Would still be genuinely amazed if you're locked 4k60 though.

E: didn't see SLI. Maybe possible in that case.

Goddangit i almost found my perfect jurassic park world if it wasnt for the shitty mustard yellow daytime skies.
grassy fields , mountains , lots of rain, lots of dino like animals and lots of colorful flora

The ๖ۜBronx;246498570 said:
My favourite trees in 100+hrs were on a snow planet, with silver-birch like patterns of red set against silver bark and soft bushy snow-capped leaves branching out at the top. They were the largest trees I've seen yet in the game, up to three times the height of any other and looked stunning.
93Bm92u.jpg

Just dug up the pics from an old Reddit post:

It depends on how the procedural turns out in the end. These type of trees fit much better in this type of environment (which is what reminds me of Skyrim).

20170819212415_1.jpg
My first major home planet was like that... not my starter but the fourth or so planet I arrive on that I decided to settle down on.

Had these cool natural looking trees but with red in them:
https://youtu.be/UW2pMnpZN5U?t=260

Fit me perfectly because my sort of 'lore' for my username actually (that I use in most high fantasy/base building games) is that I usually make my 'home' in the 'snow Nes'Gwenth Mountains' and the 'Red-axe Pines.' So I saw this planet and it was perfectly.

Sadly, 1.3 ruined it :( But I had moved to a better mining planet a few weeks before 1.3 anyhow, but still... sad that I can't even revisit it (or rebuild there if NMS ever adds the feature to build multiple bases).

So the last ExoCraft mission.
where you go to the terminal and get credits. I've just been doing that for about an hour. Roughly 30 million units richer.

Not sure if it's a bug, but this seems a easer way to make units. Better than farming anyways.

Proc

This game is so very chill. Such a nice come down after a night of PUBG...glad I grabbed it on sale.

Thanks thread.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Set it to max fps in game, then enable triple buffering and vsync (if required) in Nvidia settings.

Disable the game v-sync if you already haven't, it causes bad fps drops for some reason

Thank yous both so much! What a difference. I was on this planet that had awful framerate drops but now it's super smooth :D Gonna bump my settings back up to Ultra and see if it's still smooth.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
It seems to me the snowy planets have the densest foliage. I'm in a system with a forest moon and a frozen world, and the forest is pretty sparse compared. Look at these trees:

It also has floating islands. Which is always a plus.

Here is the forest moon:

Bikram

Played for couple of hours. So far I am enjoying it more than I thought I would. The system I am in right now seems to be very busy with activity. Is it the same everywhere? Would like some systems which are completely desolate.

Donos

If you are low on space, build the collosus exocraft!!! That thing has tons of space and every storage unit can take 500 units of materials. This is better than building a couple of storage cubes.

I then drove a bit and mined 1000 heridium and other materials to store it there.

Found a portal and unlocked all glyphs but i don't even have 1 glyphs -_-

Also i think i had a glitch. Was a at a planetary trade base and i could repeatedly barter with one korvex for 100 unit till i had 500k units (10 times since i got 53.000 units every time i did it). Don't think they took any materials from me.

It would be fucking hilarious if this game turns out to be the Star Citizen everyone wanted while the real Star Citizen never got officially released.

Anyway, I will pick this game up again (sold mine last year) in 1 or 2 years, seems like it's getting better every once in a while.

I'm going to have to pass on the Sentinel armorer mission until 1.33 drops. I've tried and died 6 times now. For as much as the armorer is pushing Infra-Knife Accelerator upgrades on me, it doesn't seem very effective. Maybe at closer range, and maybe if I could get a solid bead on them, but the flight controls are too twitchy right now (another reason to wait for 1.33). Rocket launcher is fairly powerful, but bizarrely isn't guided, so it's really a close-range and anti-freighter weapon. But the real problem is there's 5 Sentinel ships plus a very angry battleship against just me. The fighters fly in two groups, 3 and 2, but that means even when I get the drop on one group, the other is slamming beam weapons into me. Shields melt in no time. Maybe I'm approaching this the wrong way, but I've tried ducking into an asteroid field and weaving in-between a NPC freighter group and the odds are just stacked.

My ship is a legacy C-class fighter, but it's fairly decked out with upgrades. If I'm having this much trouble, I can only imagine how new players are faring. It's no wonder HG are dropping the difficulty level, but it's hard to believe they thought this was reasonable in the first place.

Some small improvements I really dig:

- No more duplicate scanning. See a red dot? It's a new discovery for sure, not an already discovered species.
- You can now ride out the Extreme planet achievement in buildings as well.
- Dynamic Hub. Not sure or this was implemented with 1.3, but hadn't noticed it before.
- Warp reactors no longer locked behind Nada & Polo quests (?)
- Night time looks gorgeous now. Like really.

c0Zm1c

Turn off v sync in game and enable v sync and triple buffering in NVCP. Would still be genuinely amazed if you're locked 4k60 though.

E: didn't see SLI. Maybe possible in that case.

The Nvidia profile disables SLI by default since a number of driver releases ago. If you want to use it then you'll need to force it on. The last official word on it, to my knowledge, is that SLI conflicted with the games TAA and the developers suggested not using that AA method until they could find a "more permanent solution to this issue". I guess Nvidia's solution was to just disable SLI. :\

ChouGoku

God damn this shit is so fun, there is so much shit to do. I played for hours tonight and felt like I barely did anything. And I did a few missions. The only thing I need now is VR and I will be set

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
yay i've unlocked all the inventory spaces in my exosuit.

currently doing the
artemis mission having just triangulated my position.
. i'm getting tired of hostiles attacking me though...i can take on 1 ship but not multiple ships. the amount of iron i use to keep my shield up is crazy.

is there a working mod yet to turn off the vignette filter? i have no idea why they won't just let us disable it.

Clean UI gets rid of Vignette, Scan Lines & Chromatic Aberration - http://www.nexusmods.com/nomanssky/mods/395/?

Just make sure you get the file that matches your current game version because the modders are already updating ready for Patch 1.33.

You are correct, there should be an option to disable this stuff. I've noticed even with motion blur disabled you get a small amount of radial blur when you move and you can't disable that.

Ravelle

Played for couple of hours. So far I am enjoying it more than I thought I would. The system I am in right now seems to be very busy with activity. Is it the same everywhere? Would like some systems which are completely desolate.

I crash landed on a planet that was 99% toxic sea and 1% barren patch of land once, nearly made me start a new game because I couldn't get of that planet.

Bold One

I still have a bunch of atlas stones from the previous incomplete atlas path missions.

Are they still a thing? or can I pawn them for much-needed cash?

SJRB

Gold Member
First time warping back to my base from a spacestation in another system and the game crashed on me. I hope this isn't something that still happens regularly with the warps.

Guppeth

I made a few dozen jumps following the Atlas path but now I need to backtrack to find a
holographic communication tower
for the Artemis quest. I just assumed I could find it in any system but apparently I must return to the system where I received the quest. The navigation map is not making it easy! If I track the mission and try to get the map to direct me, it says the objective is in my current system. If I use the discoveries list to mark my starting world as a waypoint I still don't get directions on the map (although I did at first - after 5-6 jumps the blue line has vanished and I think it's a glitch).

Is there any way to find a
holographic communication tower
in another system or am I screwed?

Top Bottom