• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

You're favorite works inspired by H.P. Lovecraft?

Would hellboy qualify because if then, hellboy.
latest

The Ogdru Jahad is one of my favorite monsters in all of fiction.
You also have stuff like the conqueror worm and the other Ogdru Hem that are all fantastic.
latest

latest

I only recently played through Bloodborne and never realised before how much the game was inspired by Lovecraft, I absolutely loved it and it's become one of my favorite games of all time. I must have made almost 100 gifs during my playthrough, I fell in love with the game and the creature designs.

7gE8G5m.gif

Brain of Mensis
Upon investigating the Nightmare, the School of Mensis discovered an eldritch mind, lined with the sacred and elusive "eyes on the inside" that were said to be the key to evolution. But these eyes were of some inexplicably evil nature, and the brain had immense rot, so that its gaze would drive mortals lethally mad with Frenzy even though they could not see it from a large distance. Despite this, the Brain of Mensis was still a true Great One, and the scholars left it there.

7yvqD1y.gif

Ebrietas, Daughter of the Cosmos
The object of the Healing Church's worship, Ebrietas communes only with the highest members of the Church, guiding them in the ways of Blood Ministration. She is one of the Great Ones who was left behind in the old labyrinth, eventually discovered by the Healing Church. The Healing Church later founded the Choir to protect and study her. She is the only Great One that wants to coexist with humans.

1fKpHSu.gif

Moon Presence
One of the Great Ones in Bloodborne, the Moon Presence controls and manipulates all that resides within the Hunter's Dream. The Moon Presence's origin is largely unknown, but its first known appearance to humanity was to Laurence, who summoned it for unknown reasons. Evidenced by the note located on the upper floor of the Lecture Building, the Moon Presence also has a connection to Paleblood.

"The nameless moon presence beckoned by Laurence and his associates. Paleblood."

Before being encountered by the Hunter, the Moon Presence had bound Gehrman, the First Hunter to the Hunter's Dream, an outlet seemingly used by the Moon Presence to further its own desires, mainly involving the killing of the other Great Ones. Whether or not this has to deal with halting the Scourge of the Beast and the slaughter of other Great Ones is unknown. However, a note found in the upper floor of the Lecture Hall lends legitimacy to the idea that the Moon Presence is actively seeking out and trying to eliminate other Great Ones.

"Hunt the Great Ones, Hunt the Great Ones."

nRTyrgg.gif

Amygdala
Amygdala appears to be one of the most revered Great Ones as numerous statues of it can be found in the Cathedral Ward and Yahar'gul, Unseen Village. A much larger statue that appears to be part of a shrine is located in the Church of the Hypogean Gaol.

Patches the Spider is seemingly one of the most devoted of Amygdala's worshippers and apparently offers sacrifices to his "God" through the use of the Tonsil Stone, transporting them into the Nightmare Frontier. However should the player slay Amygdala, he expresses no remorse or anger, merely believing they "bestowed salvation" upon the entity.

These bloodborne mentions are reminding of another game.

Dead by Daylight's lore is pretty heavy in Lovecraftian themes. An otherworldly creature know as the "Entity" and a focus on madness.

JoeBoy101

Going with The Thing. Such a great concept of cosmic horror there and the unknowable. Even the ending is unknowable.

wut? Is this serious? Interest piqued.

Though not strictly Lovecraft, it has very strong Southern Gothic horror tones that dip its toes into Lovecraft. Mainly on the degenerate cult aspect, but when we were first watching it... and when it gets late in the season... I seriously was wondering if we weren't going to see some shit.

Geist-

I only recently played through Bloodborne and never realised before how much the game was inspired by Lovecraft, I absolutely loved it and it's become one of my favorite games of all time. I must have made almost 100 gifs during my playthrough, I fell in love with the game and the creature designs.

You're reminding me how much I absolutely love Bloodborne. God dammit, I think I need to do another playthrough.

Kinsei

Banned
As already mentioned Bloodborne and The Thing are great.

Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem is also amazing. I would give everything to Ulyaoth in order to get an HD remake.

itwasTuesday

He wasn't alone.
Cthulhu Ghostbusters.

Episode: Syndication Season #041 "The Collect Call of Cathulhu"

Notes:
The Necronomican, Spawn of Cthulhu*, a Shoggoth and Cthulhu* itself all appear in this episode.

The writer with arcane knowledge who helps the team is named 'Alice Derleth' - a reference to the Mythos writer and the first publisher of the writings of H. P. Lovecraft.

Professeur Clark Ashton is named after Clark Ashton Smith, a friend and fellow writer of Lovecraft.

At the end of the episode the Necronomican is returned to the Miskatonic University in Arkham.

Ray gets help from an old friend called Howard - again a reference to another Mythos writer and correspondent of Lovecraft, Robert E.Howard.

The Ghostbusters get a clue how to kill Cthulhu* from an old copy of 'Weird Tales' - a publication that Lovecraft regularly wrote for.

The episodes writer, Michael Reaves, has written some Mythos short stories: 'Red Clay' (which was part of the 'Children Of Cthulhu' collection) and 'The Adventure Of The Arab's Manuscript' (which appeared in 'Shadows Over Baker Street').
*Cthulhu is spelt/called 'Cathulhu' in the episode presumably for copyright reasons.

edit:

Delta Green easily

It all makes sense know.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Just want to point out that The Thing is not based on a Lovecraft story. Its based on "Who Goes There?" by Joseph Campbell. Though obviously by the time John Carpenter made The Thing Lovecraft's influence had been diffusing through pop culture for nearly 50 years so to say that Lovecraft didn't have some kind of influence on the movie by that point probably doesn't hold true.

Just want to point out that The Thing is not based on a Lovecraft story. Its based on "Who Goes There?" by Joseph Campbell. Though obviously by the time John Carpenter made The Thing Lovecraft's influence had been diffusing through pop culture for nearly 50 years so to say that Lovecraft didn't have some kind of influence on the movie by that point probably doesn't hold true.

Yeah, it's possible Campbell was inspired by At the Mountains of Madness though which came out a few years prior I think. But Carpenter's The Thing is a very faithful adaptation of Who Goes There so any Lovecraft inspiration would have had to come from Campbell's story.

But given Prince of Darkness, Cigarette Burns, and obviously In the Mouth of Madness it's clear Carpenter dug Lovecraft big time.

I love Stuart Gordon's works, Demon's Souls and anything by Mike Mignola. Warren Ellis also channels Lovecraft (and mocks him pretty ruthlessly) quite often in some of his books. Eternal Darkness was fun as well.

The HP Lovecraft Historical Society has done some great productions. Their Call of Cthulhu silent film is really a treasure, same with their radio plays.

Now all we need is Del Toro's Mountains of Madness.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I love Stuart Gordon's works, Demon's Souls and anything by Mike Mignola. Warren Ellis also channels Lovecraft (and mocks him pretty ruthlessly) quite often in some of his books. Eternal Darkness was fun as well.

The HP Lovecraft Historical Society has done some great productions. Their Call of Cthulhu silent film is really a treasure, same with their radio plays.

Now all we need is Del Toro's Mountains of Madness.

After reading the script I think we may have dodged a bullet on Del Toro's Mountains.

Wasn't H.R Giger influenced by Lovecraft? If so, then all of his work (Alien being the most popular) can fall into that category.

Also, massive spoilers for a book that ended up being Lovecraftian without my knowing it until the end:

The book is called "14" by Clines. Decent book. Lovecraftian twist ending.

pa22word

Wasn't H.R Giger influenced by Lovecraft? If so, then all of his work (Alien being the most popular) can fall into that category.

Also, massive spoilers for a book that ended up being Lovecraftian without my knowing it until the end:

The book is called "14" by Clines. Decent book. Lovecraftian twist ending.

I think Freud was the biggest influence on Giger, honestly.

The Shadow Hearts quadrilogy. It's this fantastic mix of Gothic and Lovecraftian horror with alt-history and wacky JRPG shenanigans. It's a series where Rasputin turns into a cosmic horror and you team up with Anastasia Romanov and a luchador vampire to take him down.

Luminaire

Also jumping on the Junji Ito train. Beautiful stuff. I'll look in one of my Ito books for one of the other authors he was influenced by, I think he also was Lovecraftish.

Zeta Oni

Dagon (2001)

I posted .gifs in the horror scene thread that I wont spoil here but basically, it's a independent Spanish film directed by Stuart Gordon that's loosely based on The Shadow over Innsmouth.

It's hard to describe to people without giving away the good bits, but ill give you three words that I think should give you an interesting reason to check it out:

Resident Evil 4.

:)

BOOM Comics did a series called Fall of Cthulhu, which was radical.

Hellboy is 100%.

Video games? Bloodbourne.

I really enjoyed Stephen King's Revival.

That and N.
To a lesser extent, Storm of the Century.

When King goes all in to Lovecraft, he goes all in.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
The Mist (the movie) is really good.

Saw IT last night and that was surprisingly better than I was expecting too.

Bloodborne is king though.

Subscribed, Im always on the lookout for quality Lovecraft inspired works.

Venture

I really loved the original Alone In The Dark. It hasn't aged so well but it's still manages to be quite creepy.

nlRmmHN.png

Top Bottom