• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Come announced - Realistic open-world first-person Medieval RPG

Brokun

So a less interesting Elder Scrolls.

But probably better combat than Elder Scrolls!

Hm.

j55l.jpg

Derrick01

Banned
So a less interesting Elder Scrolls.

But probably better combat than Elder Scrolls!

Hm.

j55l.jpg

If they bother tuning the RPG elements it'll be a far better game than the last 2 Elder Scrolls. Searching a cave or whatever it is and actually finding something useful and impressive would give a game a huge advantage over Skyrim.

pls tell me there is third person option like in Chivalry and Mount and Blade.

AND A GOOD CHARACTER CUSTOMIZATION for online. I wanna create my fat bard with a broom sword.

The viking age is a few hundred years off from when this game takes place, and that combat style only works when you have a shield. It's true that "sword on sword" isn't exactly practical, but that doesn't mean there weren't fencing styles for it. This is probably more era appropriate:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjT4JepA-Vc
While accurate, the problem with that is that it's fencing, a sport, not fighting in the sense that only one of us is going to live. In a 1v1 while armored and armed with only a long sword there is a ton more grappling involved.

elhav

Single player Chivalry? Looks pretty good.

The swordplay looks way more interesting than in Oblivion and Skyrim. If it's well done it could be a great game.

Enkidu

While accurate, the problem with that is that it's fencing, a sport, not fighting in the sense that only one of us is going to live. In a 1v1 while armored and armed with only a long sword there is a ton more grappling involved.
It's true that there would be a lot more grappling. In modern fencing grappling doesn't make much sense since you always stop whenever somebody gets a hit in which obviously wouldn't be the case in real combat. However, the moves they are showing off are based on real combat techniques from the era, at the time it was not intended merely for sport and the manuals also contains several grappling techniques.

prudislav

Yes, I too have been waiting for some information on the game, Vavra is obviously very clever judging from his blog posts and it will be interesting to see how they manage to step around issues he has brought up in them. Plus, Mafia 1 was pretty great (2 not as much so hopefully he wasn't too involved with it, haha).
Changes in his design for Mafia 2 and conflicts within studio was the reason he left 2K Czech and founded Warhorse. He was main designer and scriptwriter of the game, but after they cuted and changed his work too much he left.

DaciaJC

Gold Member
In that it hasn't yet been done well, it is to me. That is just my opinion though, I know a lot of people like the various fist person implementations.

I encourage you to try out Chivalry: Medieval Warfare and see if your opinion remains unchanged. It has its issues, but I think it's a very solid example of quality first-person melee combat.

What's the combat like in M&B? Is it first-person?

It's primarily third-person with the option to switch to first. You can attack and block in four directions. The mounted combat is very satisfying.

Sentenza

My preferred time of RPG combat is Demon's/Dark Souls, and Dragon's Dogma. Will I enjoy this?
Who knows, entirely different beasts. The focus in M&B is all on mounted combat (with mounted archery being particularly satisfying).
In my experience there is only one kind of person who can't enjoy the combat in M&B, and that's the kind of person you shouldn't take any advice from.

EDIT - Here's a LTTP thread about it: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=567101

DaciaJC

Gold Member
And it's on sale. Will do, cheers :)

I should warn you, Chivalry is essentially a multiplayer-only game and its community isn't exactly the most welcoming. Fighting against the more experienced players may seem like an exercise in futility at first. If you don't want to risk your money, the game is pretty regularly featured in free weekends on Steam.

Those of you who missed out of the Mount&Blade sale, you can play a free trial of the games from the TaleWorlds website before committing to a purchase.

Dead Man

I should warn you, Chivalry is essentially a multiplayer-only game and its community isn't exactly the most welcoming. Fighting against the more experienced players may seem like an exercise in futility at first. If you don't want to risk your money, the game is pretty regularly featured in free weekends on Steam.

Those of you who missed out of the Mount&Blade sale, you can play a free trial of the games from the TaleWorlds website before committing to a purchase.

Cheers for this, I ended up waiting. I'll try it eventually.

I think the combat is still pure Hollywood in that GIF.

I've read that combatants in those times tried to avoid fighting "sword against sword" because it would damage the highly precious war instrument.

Here's a video of how it was for the vikings, at least: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFiIDl_mt2c

True, but the combat in that video is also pretty lame looking. Video games are all about style and looking cool; you want to be doing spinning attacks with your broadsword and huge double-handed swings to knock their defence away, not slapping at them like as though twelve year olds fighting with open hands.

This is a type of game that I still don't think anybody has nailed.

Various games get aspects of it right, from Dark Messiah to Skyrim, but no game has delivered the full package (at least no that I'm aware of).

I'd say I'm tentatively excited for this. I hope they can pull it off, but I'm skeptical.

I'm really getting The Crossing vibes from this, which was Arkane's game before they started working with Bethesda on Dishonored.

Deliverance? What? Just call it Kingdom Come, as bad as that already is.

It shouldn't be this hard to name a video game.

Yeah, it's a pretty horrible name all in all. But, if they had to keep it, at least drop the subtitle 'Deliverance'. As someone else pointed out; it's too synonymous with the film of the same name which is not something you want your game to have association with.

Tml Matus

Banned
You guys should read their blog, i think the reveal next Tuesday is going to be their publisher.

I'm really excited for this game as i am from the general area where the developer is from and i am really interested in the history of Bohemia and the general area (assuming that is what they are going for).

Cant wait for more information.

prudislav

First real info from CZ magazine
-> no publisher found - kickstarter (500 000,-) - if they hit it rest of the devlopment pays investor(czech millionare), if not development ends
-> thx to no publisher - game will be cut to 3 episodes with 30h of gameplay each
-> main character is young blacksmith
-> equip will be realistic - layers of clothes+armor inc. underpants
-> every hit will be calculated in real time, so if you hit someone with the sword on helmet first will be evaluated damage to the helmet, further will be calulated transfer of force to the head of the enemy and other possible injuries and at the same moment will be also calculated the trajectory of the sword that slides from the on the shoulder and collarbone ...

- more info on KS with new trailer at evening

Top Bottom