• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Soapbox Killer
Grand Nagus
(10-25-2017, 04:29 AM)

Originally Posted by AnotherDayAnotherDollar

So I watched Episode I and now I want to debrief. We need the watch thread back up.

Lets do it in here. I'm ready to watch TPM again!
AnotherDayAnotherDollar
(10-25-2017, 05:47 AM)

Originally Posted by Soapbox Killer

Lets do it in here. I'm ready to watch TPM again!

So fair warning, I'm a late comer to the Star Wars saga. My first Star Wars movie was TFA and then I went on to watch the Original Trilogy and then the PT, but I was actually on the computer the whole time and watching it in the background, this time, I tried to pay attention the whole time. While I can certainly see the harsh criticism and why diehard SW fans hate the movie, I don't think this movie is as bad as they make it out to be, it has some good moments, and the introduction of a very memorable character.

+ The pod race was a lot funner to watch this time around, even with some poor acting
+ Darth Maul, what a waste to kill him off
+ The story actually made sense to me this time, or at least I think it did lol. I will spoiler tag it just in case Trade Federation wants to put sanctions in Naboo, the Taken guy and Obi Wan Kenobi go there to try to negotiate, can't, and they try to kill them. They rescue Queen Amidala and she goes before the courts to plead her case where Palpatine plays her. They then team up with the Gungans to create a diversion against the Trade Federation while they go to try to kill the Viceroy of the Trade Federation.
+ The whole backstory on how it starts to build up to the OT, I like some of those connections
+ Some of the new characters were fun and innovative. Gungan people were actually interesting as was the city. I believe those have potential to be explored in future iterations of the franchise. The flying slave owner bug was also interesting to me

- JarJar Binks is a lot more annoying when you pay attention to the movie
- CGI is horribly dated. I don't think CGI from the late 2000s until now will age that badly in 20 years if they are nicely done, but CGI from the late 90s early 2000s has aged pretty badly. The underwater sequence was pretty bad and fake looking. I bet the OT won't have aged as bad as this
- Young Anakin's acting was pretty bad
- Natalie Portman was checked out just like she was in Thor
- Poorly execution of the story and screenplay. While I liked the story overall, the execution and how it was played out was....lacking. I don't know how else to explain. It could have certainly been better executed
- Samuel L. Jackson has certainly had better acting scenes and roles
- Anakin's mother just being magically impregnated, I mean what the hell
videodyssey
(10-25-2017, 05:49 AM)
looking for discord link

PM won't work but you can tweet me @videodyssey
ArcLyte
(10-25-2017, 06:24 AM)

Originally Posted by Zulithe

It's a fun group, always happy to have new additions!

Hi can you send me an invite please?
Zulithe
(10-25-2017, 06:30 AM)
RE: Discord invites, I can't invite right now due to huge influx of people. Hang tight.

I love Star Wars!
Darth Karja
(10-25-2017, 06:31 AM)

Originally Posted by Zulithe

It's a fun group, always happy to have new additions!

If it's not too late I would love to be invited as well. Would love to still have a place to talk Star Wars.

Guess it's too late.
Jables Swan
(10-25-2017, 06:47 AM)
I'd also like an invite to the Star Wars discord. Cheers.
mid83
(10-25-2017, 06:55 AM)
I'd like a discord link as well
Doctoglethorpe
(10-25-2017, 07:38 AM)
I would be grateful for an invite to the discord as well, if only to try it out. Always been very active in discussion threads but rarely visited the community side of GAF, so Iím not sure if Iíd like discordís structure. But where else is there to go, eh?

If not, thatís okay, I know everything is crazy right now and I wasnít really part of this community before. Iíll just have to drive my fiancť crazy by telling her all my thoughts instead :p
fisheyes
(10-25-2017, 08:34 AM)
I haven't posted in this thread much (at all) but do enjoy GAF's Star Wars discussion, I also wouldn't mind a look-in on this discord if possible.
GAMEPROFF
Banned
(10-25-2017, 08:53 AM)
Can I get a invite, too?
Mett
(10-25-2017, 09:02 AM)
A newbie here but I wouldn't mind a invite to the Star Wars discord, always like reading up on related stuff! :)
takriel
(10-25-2017, 09:17 AM)
Wouldn't mind an invite, as well!
Spamification1
(10-25-2017, 10:41 AM)
Don't think I've ever posted in this thread but I've lurked in it for a long time so I'd also love a link to the discord. I'm always down to see discussions about Star Wars.
Shyranui
(10-25-2017, 12:21 PM)
I am a huuuge fan of Star Wars. I can even discuss the prequels without turning into a ball of rage and hate. I even like them (a little, just a little, some things, please don't judge me), Of course I agree that AOTC is one giant mess.

And now I'm following the comics and watching Rebels, and of course waiting for TLJ ,so I'd like to chat with cool people like you. Can I have a DIscord invite? Thank you :)
WadiumArcadium
(10-25-2017, 12:21 PM)
KoruptData
(10-25-2017, 01:09 PM)
Invite please. I was asking about it to people all over Discord and Twitter. I missed you guys.
DodgerSan
(10-25-2017, 07:43 PM)
Invite also please? I have pmíd a request, but it might have been missed.
WadiumArcadium
(10-26-2017, 10:13 AM)
This seems a good a place as any to make my last post on GAF. It's been fun talking Star Wars with you all for quite a few years now and for those of you that haven't joined us at our not-so-secret rebel base yet (resetERA), we hope to see you there soon.

boswell22
(10-26-2017, 10:33 AM)
I didn't even realise their was a discord for talking Star Wars. Invite would be much appreciated.
RyanW
(10-26-2017, 03:38 PM)
Just noticed the site that resurrected from GAF is up. Hopefully we can all get in there or at least the Star Wars discord real soon so we can go back to normal
Jacce
Banned
(10-26-2017, 03:38 PM)
See you all on the other side ya'll.
defusal
(10-26-2017, 04:22 PM)
Invite also if possible please. Don't want to lose access. I understand that its probably been locked down now to stop raiders.
hardvibes
(10-26-2017, 04:52 PM)
You all seem to know what's going on. I don't. Could someone please explain why I can't find The Last Jedi thread anymore and why people are asking for invites?
Thanks
AnotherDayAnotherDollar
(10-27-2017, 07:53 AM)

Originally Posted by hardvibes

You all seem to know what's going on. I don't. Could someone please explain why I can't find The Last Jedi thread anymore and why people are asking for invites?
Thanks

OT got temporarily removed. There was a big meltdown on GAF over the past weekend because of sexual allegations against the site's owner. You can request threads to be brought back up here.
CaptainSmirnov
(12-04-2017, 09:54 PM)
So I started rewatching the movies in prep of 8, man Ep. 2 is definitely the worst. Yes it has some good scenes but that dialog is awful most of the time. Ep. 3 even though it shares some of the faults of 1 and 2, is a big step up in my opinion. Even Christensen does a better job (not all his fault he worked with what he had)