• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

claviertekky
Member
(10-19-2009, 01:17 AM)

Originally Posted by OmniGamer

Great timing for this thread.

Ok, my friend was trying to set up a computer for his Mom that she got from her sister. It's a Dell, dual-core, 512MB RAM, Windows XP. She has no ISP service at the moment, however he confirmed that he's able to connect with his ipod touch to an open wifi connection from somewhere in the apartment. He bought a belkin wireless g router for the PC, and was hoping to connect the PC to the internet for his Mom for quick tasks(checking email, looking up certain info...I already explained to him to tell her to keep it limited to that, so as not to abuse someone else's bandwidth). She's home on worker's comp. due to a back injury she suffered while working at the hospital).

He's wondering why his router can't just sniff out the open connection and connect to it like his ipod touch does. The router's installation disk says it can't find the ethernet connection, but he says it's clearly connected, and it shows up on his ipod touch as well.

Basically, is there any program out there that I can put on a flash drive for him that will act like an ipod touch...use his wireless router to detect open connections and connect to it directly, without having to deal with Windows' convoluted network setup stuff?

I've heard many bad things about Belkin routers.

Wait, are you trying to bridge someone else's wireless connection to the router and connect an ethernet cord to it?

I don't think the Belkin router supports that feature. Find a router that supports DD-WRT.

Actually, first check if the router is supported by dd-wrt:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php...Devices#Belkin
Haly
One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
(10-19-2009, 01:21 AM)
Haly's Avatar
I want to install Windows 7 RTM on my computer.

It is currently running Windows 7 RC.

I have two options:

First Option:
I have a bootable USB drive with the Windows 7 RTM installation package on it. In order to upgrade from RC to RTM, I have to change the version check in the RTM .iso file so it recognizes RC as a valid upgrade target. I can't do this without unpacking the .iso file, and it won't work if I leave the files separate, only if it's all in one .iso file. So my question is how do I unpack the file, change the values on the version check, and then repackage it so that it works with my bootable USB drive.

Second Option:
I do a clean install. I'd have to buy a spare drive to back up all my data but that's a trivial task. What I want to avoid is having to download and reinstall everything I have, games, programs, etc. What I want to know is if there is a way I can avoid having to completely clean my current hard drive.

Thanks in advance.
claviertekky
Member
(10-19-2009, 01:23 AM)

Originally Posted by Halycon

I want to install Windows 7 RTM on my computer.

It is currently running Windows 7 RC.

I have two options:

First Option:
I have a bootable USB drive with the Windows 7 RTM installation package on it. In order to upgrade from RC to RTM, I have to change the version check in the RTM .iso file so it recognizes RC as a valid upgrade target. I can't do this without unpacking the .iso file, and it won't work if I leave the files separate, only if it's all in one .iso file. So my question is how do I unpack the file, change the values on the version check, and then repackage it so that it works with my bootable USB drive.

Second Option:
I do a clean install. I'd have to buy a spare drive to back up all my data but that's a trivial task. What I want to avoid is having to download and reinstall everything I have, games, programs, etc. What I want to know is if there is a way I can avoid having to completely clean my current hard drive.

Thanks in advance.

For Win7 RTM (final), it is strongly suggested to do a clean install.

I would not do option 1. Let's go for the second option.

You can't borrow a friend's external drive or something? I'm sure you have friends who have a drive you can borrow.

If you really can't do that, then what I would do is to repartition your drive by adding another partition. Before I write out the directions to this, how much stuff is it and how much free space do you have in your drive?
OmniGamer
Hard Chargin' Capitalism
(10-19-2009, 01:24 AM)
OmniGamer's Avatar

Originally Posted by claviertekky

I've heard many bad things about Belkin routers.

Wait, are you trying to bridge someone else's wireless connection to the router and connect an ethernet cord to it?

I don't think the Belkin router supports that feature. Find a router that supports DD-WRT.

I guess...basically trying to simulate

iPod Touch>>>Open Wifi Connection>>>Internet

with

PC-connected-to-Wireless Router via ethernet cable>>>Open Wifi Connection>>>Internet

*EDIT* Ok, i'll check to see if his Belkin supports DD-WRT
claviertekky
Member
(10-19-2009, 01:26 AM)

Originally Posted by OmniGamer

I guess...basically trying to simulate

iPod Touch>>>Open Wifi Connection>>>Internet

with

PC-connected-to-Wireless Router via ethernet cable>>>Open Wifi Connection>Internet

Check the Belkin router to see if it's DD-WRT compatible. With the default firmware, it cannot bridge connections wirelessly. It'll need custom firmware.

http://dd-wrt.com/site/support/router-database

Check to see if DD-WRT works on it. If it doesn't, buy another one (preferably one that can use custom Linux firmware).

Update: Apparently you can with the default firmware on some models, but it seems very wonky. It seems this feature was available on older models and now removed (probably caused the router to crash).

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Can_you_us...ethernet_ports
BadTaste
Member
(10-19-2009, 01:34 AM)
BadTaste's Avatar
Cool thread.

Ever since I updated a couple of my drivers, I've been getting a black flickering screen while playing World of Warcraft or any other game on my PC. Then the black flickering led to this -



any help would be great.
Messypandas
Member
(10-19-2009, 01:36 AM)
Messypandas's Avatar
Ok, when playing certain games my computer expectantly goes "this game has stopped working" and crashes to desktop. It boiled my piss so much i abandoned fallout 3 (it seemed to happen at the same point and just made the game unplayable). I tried a patch but it didn't work. Any idea what it could be?
claviertekky
Member
(10-19-2009, 01:36 AM)

Originally Posted by BadTaste105

Cool thread.

Ever since I updated a couple of my drivers, I've been getting a black flickering screen while playing World of Warcraft or any other game on my PC. Then the black flickering led to this -

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/b...809_223821.jpg

any help would be great.

I'm going to guess Nvidia card (but that's because I hate Nvidia. :lol )

Haha, bias aside, let's see. How did you update your drivers? Does this only happen in WoW and not in other games?

If it happens in other games, it could be the drivers, and if it's not the drivers, your graphics card hardware's fucked.

So, tell me what driver version did you use?

Originally Posted by Messypandas

Ok, when playing certain games my computer expectantly goes "this game has stopped working" and crashes to desktop. It boiled my piss so much i abandoned fallout 3 (it seemed to happen at the same point and just made the game unplayable). I tried a patch but it didn't work. Any idea what it could be?

Games? Specs? OS? What does the crash report say specifically? Post it here.

I would say graphics drivers first. To properly do this, download the driver update first. Then, uninstall the old drivers through add/remove programs. Restart. Then, run the driver update utility.
OmniGamer
Hard Chargin' Capitalism
(10-19-2009, 01:43 AM)
OmniGamer's Avatar

Originally Posted by claviertekky

Check the Belkin router to see if it's DD-WRT compatible. With the default firmware, it cannot bridge connections wirelessly. It'll need custom firmware.

http://dd-wrt.com/site/support/router-database

Check to see if DD-WRT works on it. If it doesn't, buy another one (preferably one that can use custom Linux firmware).

Update: Apparently you can with the default firmware on some models, but it seems very wonky. It seems this feature was available on older models and now removed (probably caused the router to crash).

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Can_you_us...ethernet_ports

Cool, thanks...will update when I have more info.
BadTaste
Member
(10-19-2009, 01:43 AM)
BadTaste's Avatar

Originally Posted by claviertekky

I'm going to guess Nvidia card (but that's because I hate Nvidia. :lol )

Haha, bias aside, let's see. How did you update your drivers? Does this only happen in WoW and not in other games?

If it happens in other games, it could be the drivers, and if it's not the drivers, your hardware's fucked.

Its not Nvidia :P

Here -

Memory: 2048MB RAM
Card name: ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E8400 @ 3.00GHz (2 CPUs)

I only recently upgraded my PC with those tech aswell.

Also the two drivers I updated earlier were -

Realtek RTL8102 Family PCI-E Fast Ethernet NIC
&
Latest chipset drivers for my Intel CPU
claviertekky
Member
(10-19-2009, 01:45 AM)

Originally Posted by BadTaste105

Its not Nvidia :P

Here -

Memory: 2048MB RAM
Card name: ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E8400 @ 3.00GHz (2 CPUs)

I only recently upgraded my PC with those tech aswell.

Also the two drivers I updated earlier were -

Realtek RTL8102 Family PCI-E Fast Ethernet NIC
&
Latest chipset drivers for my Intel CPU

What's your PSU rating? (Watt, efficiency)

So, I suppose this is a custom rig? How did you update your graphics drivers? OS?
Messypandas
Member
(10-19-2009, 01:46 AM)
Messypandas's Avatar

Originally Posted by claviertekky


Games? Specs? OS? What does the crash report say specifically? Post it here.

I would say graphics drivers first. To properly do this, download the driver update first. Then, uninstall the old drivers through add/remove programs. Restart. Then, run the driver update utility.

The Game was Fallout 3 and most recently The Godfather. Mirrors edge worked fine all the way through. Sorry to seem a noob but is there anyway i can check my specs through the computer as i don't have them to hand? I use Windows Vista.

And thanks for the other tip I'll try that now
gblues
Banned
(10-19-2009, 01:47 AM)
gblues's Avatar

Originally Posted by BadTaste105

Cool thread.

Ever since I updated a couple of my drivers, I've been getting a black flickering screen while playing World of Warcraft or any other game on my PC. Then the black flickering led to this -



any help would be great.

Take the cartridge out of your NES, blow on the connector, reinsert, and power back on. That should fix it. :D

On a serious note--try rolling back your drivers to the previous version; does that help?
claviertekky
Member
(10-19-2009, 01:49 AM)

Originally Posted by Messypandas

The Game was Fallout 3 and most recently The Godfather. Mirrors edge worked fine all the way through. Sorry to seem a noob but is there anyway i can check my specs through the computer as i don't have them to hand? I use Windows Vista.

And thanks for the other tip I'll try that now

Sure.

Simply run dxdiag. Click on your Windows start icon and type in dxdiag. It'll show your system info. Your graphics card info is in the display tab.
Messypandas
Member
(10-19-2009, 01:53 AM)
Messypandas's Avatar

Originally Posted by claviertekky

Sure.

Simply run dxdiag. Click on your Windows start icon and type in dxdiag. It'll show your system info. Your graphics card info is in the display tab.

Operating System: Windows Vista™ Home Premium (6.0, Build 6001) Service Pack 1 (6001.vistasp1_gdr.090805-0102)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: OEM
System Model: OEM
BIOS: Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q8200 @ 2.33GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.3GHz
Memory: 3326MB RAM
Page File: 2029MB used, 4859MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 10
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip type: GeForce 9800 GT
DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
Display Memory: 1907 MB
Dedicated Memory: 499 MB
Shared Memory: 1407 MB
Current Mode: 1024 x 768 (32 bit) (60Hz)
Monitor: Generic PnP Monitor

Thanks. Does this help?
BadTaste
Member
(10-19-2009, 01:54 AM)
BadTaste's Avatar

Originally Posted by claviertekky

What's your PSU rating? (Watt, efficiency)

So, I suppose this is a custom rig? How did you update your graphics drivers? OS?

500 or 550 Watts, I can't remember.

Well I obviously installed my drivers using the disks that came with the hardware but they needed alot more updates to their drivers, so I updated them through the manufacturer's
websites. Windows XP.
gblues
Banned
(10-19-2009, 01:55 AM)
gblues's Avatar

Originally Posted by Halycon

I want to install Windows 7 RTM on my computer.

It is currently running Windows 7 RC.

I have two options:

First Option:
I have a bootable USB drive with the Windows 7 RTM installation package on it. In order to upgrade from RC to RTM, I have to change the version check in the RTM .iso file so it recognizes RC as a valid upgrade target. I can't do this without unpacking the .iso file, and it won't work if I leave the files separate, only if it's all in one .iso file. So my question is how do I unpack the file, change the values on the version check, and then repackage it so that it works with my bootable USB drive.

Second Option:
I do a clean install. I'd have to buy a spare drive to back up all my data but that's a trivial task. What I want to avoid is having to download and reinstall everything I have, games, programs, etc. What I want to know is if there is a way I can avoid having to completely clean my current hard drive.

Thanks in advance.

Install Magic ISO and mount the ISO to the virtual CD/DVD drive it creates. Then, copy the contents into a folder of your choosing. Once you've done that, you can go in and edit the cversion.ini and copy the files to your bootable USB drive from there.

Going from RC to RTM should be painless. If you were still on the beta I would suggest nuking and starting over.

Note that even with the cversion.ini hack, you cannot change bitness, i.e. you can go from 32-bit RC to 32-bit RTM or 64-bit RC to 64-bit RTM but you cannot go from 32-bit RC to 64-bit RTM. I learned that the hard way. :(
claviertekky
Member
(10-19-2009, 01:57 AM)

Originally Posted by Messypandas

Thanks. Does this help?

Yes it does a bit.

How did updating your drivers go?

Originally Posted by BadTaste105

500 or 550 Watts, I can't remember.

Well I obviously installed my drivers using the disks that came with the hardware but they needed alot more updates to their drivers, so I updated them through the manufacturer's
websites. Windows XP.

What did you try to do now?

Oh hm. So you did not use the generic ones from ATi's?

Originally Posted by gblues

Install Magic ISO and mount the ISO to the virtual CD/DVD drive it creates. Then, copy the contents into a folder of your choosing. Once you've done that, you can go in and edit the cversion.ini and copy the files to your bootable USB drive from there.

Going from RC to RTM should be painless. If you were still on the beta I would suggest nuking and starting over.

Note that even with the cversion.ini hack, you cannot change bitness, i.e. you can go from 32-bit RC to 32-bit RTM or 64-bit RC to 64-bit RTM but you cannot go from 32-bit RC to 64-bit RTM. I learned that the hard way. :(

Yeah, but I would strongly prefer a clean installation. There are many background kinks that the RTM fixed from RC.
FoxSpirit
Junior Member
(10-19-2009, 02:00 AM)
FoxSpirit's Avatar
Was I the only one who thought "Hmmm, midi or full tower?" when I saw the thread title? :lol
BadTaste
Member
(10-19-2009, 02:02 AM)
BadTaste's Avatar

Originally Posted by claviertekky

Yes it does a bit.

How did updating your drivers go?


What did you try to do now?

Oh hm. So you did not use the generic ones from ATi's?



Yeah, but I would strongly prefer a clean installation. There are many background kinks that the RTM fixed from RC.

I'm thinking this caused the graphics issues - Intel Chipset Inf Update Program V9.1.1.1014

That was the last update to any Driver that I did, now i'm thinking of rolling it back unless theres an alternative.

Didn't use Ati's.
BadTaste
Member
(10-19-2009, 02:06 AM)
BadTaste's Avatar
Just checked my Device Manager now.

Under "ASUS Other Devices" theres a problem of some sort with "Enhanced Display Driver Helper Service" :S, could be related to these graphics issues?



What could this mean and what should I do about it?

Edit: Clicked on the Properties of it and I got this - "Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. (Code 19)"
claviertekky
Member
(10-19-2009, 02:08 AM)

Originally Posted by BadTaste105

Just checked my Device Manager now.

Under "ASUS Other Devices" theres a problem of some sort with "Enhanced Display Driver Helper Service" :S, could be related to these graphics issues?



What could this mean and what should I do about it?

Edit: Clicked on the Properties of it and I got this - "Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. (Code 19)"

Just try searching for it let's see.

First search came up as this:

http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?...53671&page=1&S

Oh, so your card is not official either (not directly from ATi, just licensed). Eh, I try to avoid installing all the drivers on disk and install everything generic from the internet directly from the original manufacturer. So I would install Intel drivers for my motherboard even though Asus/Gigabyte/MSI made it and ATi drivers from ATi's site. So on and so forth.

Thinking about it more, I feel this is some unnecessary ASUS bloat. I would just reinstall Windows XP over again and do it right or just clean install to Windows 7 and have Windows Update find everything for you.
Hawkian
The Cryptarch's Bane
(10-19-2009, 02:26 AM)
Hawkian's Avatar

Originally Posted by FoxSpirit

Was I the only one who thought "Hmmm, midi or full tower?" when I saw the thread title? :lol

This was intentional, and thank you. :)
PumpkinPie
Member
(10-19-2009, 03:25 AM)
PumpkinPie's Avatar

Originally Posted by claviertekky

Just contact Seagate. Don't mention you said it was from Dell.

BTW, Thanks a lot for your help :)
WinoMcCougarstein
Banned
(10-19-2009, 03:30 AM)
WinoMcCougarstein's Avatar
My problem seems to be fixed. Thanks everyone for the advice! You have no idea how frustrated I was getting!
claviertekky
Member
(10-19-2009, 03:43 AM)

Originally Posted by PumpkinPie

BTW, Thanks a lot for your help :)

Originally Posted by MyFaceIsOnFire

My problem seems to be fixed. Thanks everyone for the advice! You have no idea how frustrated I was getting!

No problem guys.

MyFaceIsOnFire: You probably need some protection. What kind of AV suite do you use right now?
BadTaste
Member
(10-19-2009, 04:06 AM)
BadTaste's Avatar
Things are looking brighter for me too (:

Thanks folks.
NumberTwo
Paper or plastic?
(10-19-2009, 04:08 AM)
I have an external hard drive, however every time I cut it off first and then cut my laptop off (in that order) I always get delayed write errors. Is it possible to turn this off?
Parallax Scroll
Banned
(10-19-2009, 04:22 AM)
Parallax Scroll's Avatar

Originally Posted by claviertekky

Yes, Avira and the free MS one are excellent AV protection programs although choose one. Don't run both. :)

Since you're reinstalling soon, I guess you could try what's below, but reinstallation should fix your problem.


Well for future reference, after using the official uninstaller, if people want to make sure they completely uninstalled security software, use these tools:

Norton/Symantec : http://service1.symantec.com/Support...05033108162039

McAfee: http://download.mcafee.com/products/...tches/MCPR.exe

Note: Please elevate the task to "Administrator level" when using these tools.

Cool, I think I'll just use the MS antivirus after I reformat. Microsoft stuff tends to work well with other Microsoft stuff.

And thanks for the heads up on Norton/McAfee uninstallation. I helped my sister uninstall one of those on her new Dell recently and install AVG. I'll make sure she uses this other uninstaller to remove the remnants. What if I want to switch her to the MS antivirus? Is AVG hard to remove?
Ashhong
Member
(10-19-2009, 05:57 AM)
Ashhong's Avatar
hey hawkian, sooo

right now i have an Asus 512mb 4870 and was a little underwhelmed, wish i went with at least the 1gb.

anyways, a friend wants to upgrade his card from integrated so he can play L4D and Dragons Age, and other games, and i was thinking of selling mine to him.

my question is this: what is a fair price for my card and what should i upgrade to? i was thinking 1gb 4870 unless i can find a good priced 4890, but then theres the new 5 series. are those worth it? im hoping to pay only like, 25 dollars more to upgrade. rebates are fine with me. thanks!

edit: i have a E7400, is it already bottlenecking my system? meaning should i bother with a better card?

and my friend only has an intel dual E2200 @ 2.20ghz. should he even be upgrading?

im playing on 1680x1050, and my friend on 1400xsomething i dont really know
claviertekky
Member
(10-19-2009, 06:22 AM)

Originally Posted by Topher

I have an external hard drive, however every time I cut it off first and then cut my laptop off (in that order) I always get delayed write errors. Is it possible to turn this off?

What kind of external hd is it? Are you using the included software or no? What format (FAT32/NTFS/HFS)

Originally Posted by Parallax Scroll

Cool, I think I'll just use the MS antivirus after I reformat. Microsoft stuff tends to work well with other Microsoft stuff.

And thanks for the heads up on Norton/McAfee uninstallation. I helped my sister uninstall one of those on her new Dell recently and install AVG. I'll make sure she uses this other uninstaller to remove the remnants. What if I want to switch her to the MS antivirus? Is AVG hard to remove?

AVG can be removed straight up from the uninstaller. (I think)

Restart.

Then, just install MSE on top.

Originally Posted by Ashhong

hey hawkian, sooo

right now i have an Asus 512mb 4870 and was a little underwhelmed, wish i went with at least the 1gb.[/B]

anyways, a friend wants to upgrade his card from integrated so he can play L4D and Dragons Age, and other games, and i was thinking of selling mine to him.

my question is this: what is a fair price for my card and what should i upgrade to? i was thinking 1gb 4870 unless i can find a good priced 4890, but then theres the new 5 series. are those worth it? im hoping to pay only like, 25 dollars more to upgrade. rebates are fine with me. thanks!

edit: i have a E7400, is it already bottlenecking my system? meaning should i bother with a better card?

and my friend only has an intel dual E2200 @ 2.20ghz. should he even be upgrading?

im playing on 1680x1050, and my friend on 1400xsomething i dont really know

What do you mean underwhelmed? Graphics performance? What kind of GDDR does it have? GDDR2/3/4/5?

Clock speed matters the most in terms of gaming performance. I once bought a card that had 512MB of GDDR2 RAM, and man performance sucked. For now on, it's GDDR3 or higher or bust.

What exactly is your budget for your new card and how much power does your friend's current system have (Power supply and efficiency [ i.e. 80%])?

I have E2160 overclocked from 2 GHz to 3 GHz with stock cooling.

If your friend wants to spend money, he can upgrade. This all comes down to how much you want to spend. Budget please.

1400x900 you were saying.
baultista
Banned
(10-19-2009, 06:53 AM)
I'm embarassed to say this as a guy that was once eligible for his CCNA certification but....

...I need networking help!

I have two networks configured at home with the following setup

Network 1:
Router w/ cable modem - 192.168.7.1
Laptop - 192.168.7.101

Network 2:
Router - 192.168.7.102 (WAN IP) AND 192.168.8.1
Desktop - 192.168.8.101




I need these two networks to communicate. My desktop can access both networks (and thus the internet) but my laptop can't access network 2 (it can ping the WAN IP address but not the desktop). I need access to the desktop in order to share the printer!

Any suggestions, GAF? Firewalls are off, ports are forwarded, bla bla bla
claviertekky
Member
(10-19-2009, 06:56 AM)

Originally Posted by baultista

I'm embarassed to say this as a guy that was once eligible for his CCNA certification but....

...I need networking help!

I have two networks configured at home with the following setup

Network 1:
Router w/ cable modem - 192.168.7.1
Laptop - 192.168.7.101

Network 2:
Router - 192.168.7.102 (WAN IP) AND 192.168.8.1
Desktop - 192.168.8.101




I need these two networks to communicate. My desktop can access both networks (and thus the internet) but my laptop can't access network 2 (it can ping the WAN IP address but not the desktop). I need access to the desktop in order to share the printer!

Any suggestions, GAF? Firewalls are off, ports are forwarded, bla bla bla

I have absolutely zero certification when it comes to IT. All of the stuff I say just comes from what I've been through or intuition. My degree is in electrical engineering, and I'm currently looking for a job.

That said, have you tried making Network 1 DMZ?

Wait, describe your setup with more details. What kind of routers are you using? Firmwares? Static IPs?
NumberTwo
Paper or plastic?
(10-19-2009, 07:23 AM)

Originally Posted by claviertekky

What kind of external hd is it? Are you using the included software or no? What format (FAT32/NTFS/HFS)

Western Digital. I am using software from Western Digital to recognize the drive and it is FAT32.
Ashhong
Member
(10-19-2009, 07:27 AM)
Ashhong's Avatar

Originally Posted by claviertekky

What do you mean underwhelmed? Graphics performance? What kind of GDDR does it have? GDDR2/3/4/5?

Clock speed matters the most in terms of gaming performance. I once bought a card that had 512MB of GDDR2 RAM, and man performance sucked. For now on, it's GDDR3 or higher or bust.

What exactly is your budget for your new card and how much power does your friend's current system have (Power supply and efficiency [ i.e. 80%])?

I have E2160 overclocked from 2 GHz to 3 GHz with stock cooling.

If your friend wants to spend money, he can upgrade. This all comes down to how much you want to spend. Budget please.

1400x900 you were saying.

i was hoping to be able to play L4D at a smooth 60fps on high settings. i dont like the drops that occur, and im currently overclocking it to 775mhz/3660mhz, and i believe its GDDR5.

my friend is only looking to spend maybe 100, and i dont want to have to spend more than say, 25$ out of pocket. thats why the plan is to sell him mine at 100, and then upgrade for 125$, or 130 if i have to.

hes running a stock Dell system, so i can upgrade his PSU if need be, thats not an issue since i have an extra one. we just arent sure how much better his computer can get with the processor he has now. i dont think he will want to OC his cpu.
baultista
Banned
(10-19-2009, 07:37 AM)

Originally Posted by claviertekky

I have absolutely zero certification when it comes to IT. All of the stuff I say just comes from what I've been through or intuition. My degree is in electrical engineering, and I'm currently looking for a job.

That said, have you tried making Network 1 DMZ?

Wait, describe your setup with more details. What kind of routers are you using? Firmwares? Static IPs?

All IPs are static... router 1 is some crummy old linksys router (WRT54GM... the crappy one with a single antenna) and router 2 is a WRT54GL running DD-WRT.




One of these days I'll have to invest in another 54GL... if Router 1 had one of those badboys I could just set up a static route. Even so, I still can't understand why this won't work.

I suspect that there might be something I can do on router 1... somehow I have to tell router1 that all traffic for the 192.168.8.0 network has to go to 192.168.7.102 as the default gateway.


EDIT: WOOHOO!! I added a static route in Windows... problem solved =) Thanks for the help!
Hawkian
The Cryptarch's Bane
(10-19-2009, 07:37 AM)
Hawkian's Avatar
You might want to try resetting you card to stock clocks and overclocking your cpu, if it can sustain it, to see how much of an impact that has in L4D. Can you play at high settings with no AA and the framerate you want, or does it affect you even then?
Ashhong
Member
(10-19-2009, 07:39 AM)
Ashhong's Avatar

Originally Posted by Hawkian

You might want to try resetting you card to stock clocks and overclocking your cpu, if it can sustain it, to see how much of an impact that has in L4D. Can you play at high settings with no AA and the framerate you want, or does it affect you even then?

i used to have my CPU overclocked as well, but didnt like the temps it was getting. i then upgraded my cpu fan but forgot to overclock it again. too lazy to figure out the right combo.

are you saying that overclocking the CPU will yield me better results than my gpu?

i also noticed more stable FPS when i turn off multicore rendering. im going to test it out with no AA and multicore on.
claviertekky
Member
(10-19-2009, 07:45 AM)

Originally Posted by Topher

Western Digital. I am using software from Western Digital to recognize the drive and it is FAT32.

Mm.... eww. I don't recommend using the Western Digital software when it comes to storage. The original operating system way of managing data files is probably the best way.

That said, is there a way to uninstall the western digital software on there without losing your data or could you just delete it?

I'll have to look into that.

As for your file format system, you are using Windows right? Have you ever tried fitting a single file that took up more than 4GB? It won't fit on a FAT32 drive. You'll need to choose NTFS (Windows) or HFS(Mac). FAT32 is just universally compatible.

Originally Posted by Ashhong

i used to have my CPU overclocked as well, but didnt like the temps it was getting. i then upgraded my cpu fan but forgot to overclock it again. too lazy to figure out the right combo.

are you saying that overclocking the CPU will yield me better results than my gpu?

i also noticed more stable FPS when i turn off multicore rendering. im going to test it out with no AA and multicore on.

What are the settings do you have for L4D turned on?

AA and AS will slow down performance.
Ashhong
Member
(10-19-2009, 07:46 AM)
Ashhong's Avatar
nope, not satisfied with AA off and my GPU still overclocked. going to try turning multicore back off

Originally Posted by claviertekky

What are the settings do you have for L4D turned on?

AA and AS will slow down performance.

[IMG]http://i33.************/23uy49t.jpg[/IMG]

i dont run in window, it was just the only way to take a screen. am i expecting too much? i constant 60fps with these settings?
mj1108
Member
(10-19-2009, 07:57 AM)

Originally Posted by baultista

All IPs are static... router 1 is some crummy old linksys router (WRT54GM... the crappy one with a single antenna) and router 2 is a WRT54GL running DD-WRT.




One of these days I'll have to invest in another 54GL... if Router 1 had one of those badboys I could just set up a static route. Even so, I still can't understand why this won't work.

I suspect that there might be something I can do on router 1... somehow I have to tell router1 that all traffic for the 192.168.8.0 network has to go to 192.168.7.102 as the default gateway.


EDIT: WOOHOO!! I added a static route in Windows... problem solved =) Thanks for the help!

Congrats on getting it fixed!

I have a WRT54G (v2) and this last week purchased a 54GL and have Tomato running on both. I have one out in the living room and one in the bedroom with a static route going between them. It works beautifully....especially with the one in the living room hooked up to the WD TV Live.
Hawkian
The Cryptarch's Bane
(10-19-2009, 08:31 AM)
Hawkian's Avatar

Originally Posted by Ashhong

nope, not satisfied with AA off and my GPU still overclocked. going to try turning multicore back off



[IMG]http://i33.************/23uy49t.jpg[/IMG]

i dont run in window, it was just the only way to take a screen. am i expecting too much? i constant 60fps with these settings?

With no AA or AF (turn filtering to none), you should be able to get something in that vein. But you need to try turning V-sync off. It's great if you're a consistent 15-30+ fps OVER 60, but the performance hit is probably not worth it at your config.
Ashhong
Member
(10-19-2009, 08:39 AM)
Ashhong's Avatar
well i want good picture also of course. ill try the vsync

turning off vsync got my fps to go up to like 100, but its even more spaztic. turning on 8xAA brought it to how it was before
Hawkian
The Cryptarch's Bane
(10-19-2009, 09:27 AM)
Hawkian's Avatar
That's interesting. So you get high fps with just a lot of dips? It does sound like a processor overclock might be more beneficial than a GPU.
Ashhong
Member
(10-19-2009, 09:31 AM)
Ashhong's Avatar

Originally Posted by Hawkian

That's interesting. So you get high fps with just a lot of dips? It does sound like a processor overclock might be more beneficial than a GPU.

yea, at least before it was a max of 60 so it was going like 30-60. but now it was going 30-100. of course i might make it sound worse than it is. its not unplayable by any means, and is over 40fps most of the time.

what about my upgrade situation? my friend would like to upgrade his card, so it would be nice if we could both get what we want
LethaL ImpuLse
Member
(10-19-2009, 09:40 AM)
LethaL ImpuLse's Avatar
Ok so I recently got an Epson NX415 inkjet printer and I have it connected to my PC via USB. Problem is, every once in a while, say maybe every 30 minutes, the printer just randomly disconnects and reconnects itself. I can tell because I can hear the disconnect and reconnect USB jingle that XP plays; it disconnects and reconnects itself immediately after.

Kind of a minor problem but it gets annoying to hear those sounds repeatedly. I've tried google, and the Epson site, but I really don't know what's wrong. Maybe it's something simple I'm missing, so I thought I'd try out this thread.
Hawkian
The Cryptarch's Bane
(10-19-2009, 02:57 PM)
Hawkian's Avatar

Originally Posted by Ashhong

yea, at least before it was a max of 60 so it was going like 30-60. but now it was going 30-100. of course i might make it sound worse than it is. its not unplayable by any means, and is over 40fps most of the time.

what about my upgrade situation? my friend would like to upgrade his card, so it would be nice if we could both get what we want

You'd probably see a decent increase with the 4890, but if your case/psu can handle a 5000-series it would be more future-proof.

Above, it sounds like the printer is disconnecting itself or sleeping periodically?
bengraven
Member
(10-19-2009, 03:36 PM)
bengraven's Avatar
I thought this would be a thread about tech support admins bitching about their jobs.

I'll make that thread shortly and let loose. :lol
bigmit3737
Member
(10-19-2009, 03:39 PM)
bigmit3737's Avatar
K guys. I am having a PC problem.

I am getting this message on start up:
"system32/config file is missing". It also indicates to insert XP CD-ROM and click R to repair"


Problem is my cd-rom is not reading the windows xp installation disk. I do have an external harddrive and flash drive.

What should I do?

Thank you.
mj1108
Member
(10-19-2009, 04:27 PM)

Originally Posted by bengraven

I thought this would be a thread about tech support admins bitching about their jobs.

I'll make that thread shortly and let loose. :lol

We need that one too. I'll definitely post something there. :lol

Thread Tools