• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

claviertekky
Member
(10-20-2009, 04:24 AM)

Originally Posted by BadTaste105

I'm back again. Everything was going okay, for WoW at least.

I was playing Crysis Warhead and everything was going okay for a short while, until this happened...



Just as I entered the cutscene for the first snow level in Crysis Warhead, these things appeared on screen, what the hell? At first I thought his Nano Suit was fucking up or something lol.

Memory: 2048MB RAM
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E8400 @ 3.00GHz (2 CPUs)
Card name: ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series ((it's a 4850))

ASUS P5KPL-AM Motherboard.

Heres pictures of all my essential Drivers, maybe somebody could see if something looks unstable or w/e.

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/b...n3465/Usbc.jpg
http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/b...5/SDevices.jpg
http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/b...3465/DvDcD.jpg
http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/b...n3465/DaSL.jpg Edit: Fixing the last link.

Looks like artifacting. It may be a problem with either the card itself or the drivers. Some driver sets for some games work better than others when it comes down to these advanced games.

I'm not expert in PC Gaming, but that's what I can share with you.

Gamer GAF might be able to help you here.

Do your other games work fine?
BadTaste
Member
(10-20-2009, 04:31 AM)
BadTaste's Avatar

Originally Posted by claviertekky

Looks like artifacting. It may be a problem with either the card itself or the drivers. Some driver sets for some games work better than others when it comes down to these advanced games.

I'm not expert in PC Gaming, but that's what I can share with you.

Gamer GAF might be able to help you here.

Do your other games work fine?

I only have 2 games to try, Crysis and WoW.

WoW could be performing better, for instance this past couple days I can't record myself playing the game using Fraps like I used to because the FPS drops way down, where-as a few days ago it recorded without a hitch.

Btw I fixed the last links in my previous post, most important drivers are shown in them.
claviertekky
Member
(10-20-2009, 04:49 AM)

Originally Posted by BadTaste105

I only have 2 games to try, Crysis and WoW.

WoW could be performing better, for instance this past couple days I can't record myself playing the game using Fraps like I used to because the FPS drops way down, where-as a few days ago it recorded without a hitch.

Btw I fixed the last links in my previous post, most important drivers are shown in them.

What was the driver set that was working before all of this happened? Before the WoW artifacting?
BadTaste
Member
(10-20-2009, 04:58 AM)
BadTaste's Avatar

Originally Posted by claviertekky

What was the driver set that was working before all of this happened? Before the WoW artifacting?

Just the default drivers that came with the hardware's disks, but now I'm contemplating starting everything from scratch again.
fatigues_gasolini
Member
(10-20-2009, 06:16 AM)
fatigues_gasolini's Avatar

Originally Posted by claviertekky

Please clarify the order of your partitions. Is it Vista 64/Ultimate 64 | RC

or

RC | Vista 64/ Ultimate 64

.

Ok, heres a picture of what I have

[IMG]http://i38.************/312k00n.jpg[/IMG]

I just noticed my dvd isnt showing up, sonofabitch.
claviertekky
Member
(10-20-2009, 06:38 AM)

Originally Posted by gamerecks

Ok, heres a picture of what I have

http://i38.************/312k00n.jpg

I just noticed my dvd isnt showing up, sonofabitch.

Could you access my computer -> right click MANAGE -> storage -> diskmanagement and give me a "snipping tool" (it's a program) picture of that?

This doesn't tell me anything. :/
pubba
Member
(10-20-2009, 07:03 AM)
pubba's Avatar
Western Digital extrenal 320 gig HDD (Passport)

Whenever I try to extract iso's to it - I get a Delay write error message pop up in my status bar.

Windows- Delayed Write Failed
Windows was unable to save all the data for the file D:\$BitMap. The data has been lost. This error may be caused by a failure of your computer hardware or network connection. Please try again.. blah blah


In winrar the error message says

Write error in the file (iso filename) Probably the disk is full


The HDD has 50 gig of free space, it's definitely not full.

If I unplug the drive (safely of course) and plug it in again, sometimes it will work ok for a while.

Any ideas what to do? I defragged the drive last night and it froze at 98% but then when I tried to degrag it again - it said that the drive was already done.
claviertekky
Member
(10-20-2009, 07:04 AM)

Originally Posted by pubba

Western Digital extrenal 320 gig HDD (Passport)

Whenever I try to extract iso's to it - I get a Delay write error message pop up in my status bar.

Windows- Delayed Write Failed
Windows was unable to save all the data for the file D:\$BitMap. The data has been lost. This error may be caused by a failure of your computer hardware or network connection. Please try again.. blah blah


In winrar the error message says

Write error in the file (iso filename) Probably the disk is full


The HDD has 50 gig of free space, it's definitely not full.

If I unplug the drive (safely of course) and plug it in again, sometimes it will work ok for a while.

Any ideas what to do? I defragged the drive last night and it froze at 98% but then when I tried to degrag it again - it said that the drive was already done.

What format is your drive in? FAT32 or NTFS?
pubba
Member
(10-20-2009, 07:11 AM)
pubba's Avatar

Originally Posted by claviertekky

What format is your drive in? FAT32 or NTFS?

NTFS. I just restarted my PC and extracting an ISO to the drive now. It works fine sometimes, but then randomly stops working and I can't even access some of the folders on the drive after it craps out.
claviertekky
Member
(10-20-2009, 07:15 AM)

Originally Posted by pubba

NTFS. I just restarted my PC and extracting an ISO to the drive now. It works fine sometimes, but then randomly stops working and I can't even access some of the folders on the drive after it craps out.

What kind of USB connector are you using, a dual head one? Is it a mini USB to two other USBs?
SundaySounds
Banned
(10-20-2009, 08:07 AM)

Originally Posted by BadTaste105

I'm back again. Everything was going okay, for WoW at least.

I was playing Crysis Warhead and everything was going okay for a short while, until this happened...



Just as I entered the cutscene for the first snow level in Crysis Warhead, these things appeared on screen, what the hell? At first I thought his Nano Suit was fucking up or something lol.

Memory: 2048MB RAM
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E8400 @ 3.00GHz (2 CPUs)
Card name: ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series ((it's a 4850))

ASUS P5KPL-AM Motherboard.

Heres pictures of all my essential Drivers, maybe somebody could see if something looks unstable or w/e.

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/b...n3465/Usbc.jpg
http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/b...5/SDevices.jpg
http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/b...3465/DvDcD.jpg
http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/b...en3465/dfD.jpg
http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/b...n3465/dfD2.jpg Fixed links
http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/b...n3465/DfD3.jpg

Hm. Could be a bad card or an issue with your drivers.
Do you guys think it could possibly be a motherboard issue?
Try borrowing a friend's graphics card and swap it out with yours. (make sure you get the drivers for it of course)

wait, sykes mod? is that part of the game, or did you mod the software?
Smash88
Banned
(10-20-2009, 08:09 AM)
Smash88's Avatar
That is not artifacting. That looks like driver bugs, or game bugs. Try reverting to an older version of Catalyst.

Oh and any mods, take that out, reinstall the game and test that out before reverting to an older driver.
Schrade
The Amiga Brotherhood
(10-20-2009, 08:49 AM)
Schrade's Avatar

Originally Posted by pubba

Western Digital extrenal 320 gig HDD (Passport)

Whenever I try to extract iso's to it - I get a Delay write error message pop up in my status bar.

Windows- Delayed Write Failed
Windows was unable to save all the data for the file D:\$BitMap. The data has been lost. This error may be caused by a failure of your computer hardware or network connection. Please try again.. blah blah


In winrar the error message says

Write error in the file (iso filename) Probably the disk is full


The HDD has 50 gig of free space, it's definitely not full.

If I unplug the drive (safely of course) and plug it in again, sometimes it will work ok for a while.

Any ideas what to do? I defragged the drive last night and it froze at 98% but then when I tried to degrag it again - it said that the drive was already done.

Go to Device Manager, Expand the "Disk Drives" section, right click on the hard disk you're referring to and select Properties. Click on the Policies tab and then uncheck "Enable write caching on the disk".

Some drives/enclosures have this problem for some reason. I have it with an enclosure when using eSATA mode on it. Doesn't do it in USB mode.
BadTaste
Member
(10-20-2009, 02:52 PM)
BadTaste's Avatar

Originally Posted by SundaySounds

Hm. Could be a bad card or an issue with your drivers.
Do you guys think it could possibly be a motherboard issue?
Try borrowing a friend's graphics card and swap it out with yours. (make sure you get the drivers for it of course)

wait, sykes mod? is that part of the game, or did you mod the software?

Sykes is part of the game, it's the last name of the character you're playing.. I think so anyway.

I have Catalyst version 09.9, i'll try going back to 09.8.
Threi
notag
(10-20-2009, 03:35 PM)
Threi's Avatar
Another PC problem for you guys since im too lazy to google: Since I built my new old comp (ASUS m2n32-sli deluxe, 4GB RAM, ASUS 9600GSO, Win7), every attempt at a screen capture ingame using the printscreen key results in a black screen. I think its an overlay problem but not exactly sure.
Hawkian
The Cryptarch's Bane
(10-20-2009, 03:42 PM)
Hawkian's Avatar

Originally Posted by BadTaste105

Sykes is part of the game, it's the last name of the character you're playing.. I think so anyway.

I have Catalyst version 09.9, i'll try going back to 09.8.

Correct. And also I'd chime in that that is definitely not artifacting. Are you getting ingame slowdown when you see it?

You should try another game or 3D program besides WoW, which is sort of wack for graphics testing. Try 3dmark and see if there's anything of the kind.
BadTaste
Member
(10-20-2009, 06:36 PM)
BadTaste's Avatar

Originally Posted by Hawkian

Correct. And also I'd chime in that that is definitely not artifacting. Are you getting ingame slowdown when you see it?

You should try another game or 3D program besides WoW, which is sort of wack for graphics testing. Try 3dmark and see if there's anything of the kind.

There is a bit of slowdown, more-so than the original Crysis.

I started up Crysis Warhead today and everything was working quite alright until the game auto-saved, froze, crashed and brought me this Error -

VAIL
(10-20-2009, 06:39 PM)

Originally Posted by BadTaste105

There is a bit of slowdown, more-so than the original Crysis.

I started up Crysis Warhead today and everything was working quite alright until the game auto-saved, froze, crashed and brought me this Error -

Next time, click there and paste that up.
BadTaste
Member
(10-20-2009, 06:43 PM)
BadTaste's Avatar

Originally Posted by VAIL

Next time, click there and paste that up.

That IS the info that was under "Click here".
VAIL
(10-20-2009, 06:47 PM)

Originally Posted by BadTaste105

That IS the info that was under "Click here".

Oh my bad, well doesn't say much of anything, god I hate vague error messages...

Best advice, make sure you are using the official drivers, and if there is any system tray utility put on there from the card maker, remove it...I've seen those cause issues in the past.
Wormdundee
Member
(10-20-2009, 07:49 PM)
Wormdundee's Avatar

Originally Posted by claviertekky

What operating system are you using? 32bit or 64bit?

Ah sorry, forgot that part. It's XP 32bit.
claviertekky
Member
(10-20-2009, 07:58 PM)

Originally Posted by Wormdundee

Ah sorry, forgot that part. It's XP 32bit.

From what I picked up, I read the device doesn't really work well with XP + drivers. It works better on Vista and 7.

I didn't read much into it although I would imagine have you tried updating the drivers on your device?

Originally Posted by Threi

Another PC problem for you guys since im too lazy to google: Since I built my new old comp (ASUS m2n32-sli deluxe, 4GB RAM, ASUS 9600GSO, Win7), every attempt at a screen capture ingame using the printscreen key results in a black screen. I think its an overlay problem but not exactly sure.

I don't know if this might be related although in Windows 7, when I play Starcraft, I have to shutdown explorer.exe. Otherwise, all the colors all become fugly, and this has been confirmed regardless if Aero is turned on or not. It still occurs in classic mode.

Maybe try that? Use Ctrl Shift Esc to bring back up the task manager when your explorer is down.

Update: A quick web search revealed that it could possibly be the drivers. Someone solved this problem by reverting it to an older set.

Source: http://www.windows7taskforce.com/view/3052

I uninstal the driver (catalyst 9.7) and install a old version (catalyst 9.1) its ok now. Print Screen and snniping tools works again.

methane47
Member
(10-20-2009, 08:08 PM)
methane47's Avatar
I have a strange issue.

Say my computer is off and i press the button to start it. Sometimes.. not all the time... I will get an error beep before anything displays on the screen.
One Long and 3 short beeps No repeats.. just the one time.. and nothing will ever come on.

So i turn off my PC... switch my RAM from 2 paired slots to the other 2 paired slots.. and boom.. computer works... If I try to switch back it will not work..

Then... sometime in the future after a couple resets I will get the error beeps again and have to switch out the ram ports again..... Sooo in short... only 2 Ram slots work... but the two that work switch all the time..

What is the problem... how can I solve it?

ASUS P5Q
2x 2gb RAM
BFG Tech GeForce 8800 GT
Core 2 duo E6600
fatigues_gasolini
Member
(10-21-2009, 12:43 AM)
fatigues_gasolini's Avatar
Ok here we go

[IMG]http://i36.************/r93c76.jpg[/IMG]
ChoklitReign
Member
(10-21-2009, 12:49 AM)
ChoklitReign's Avatar
My Dell XPS 1530's battery is out of juice. It can only charge up to 8% which means it can no longer live without the cord. Where do I find a specific replacement battery?
gblues
Banned
(10-21-2009, 01:19 AM)
gblues's Avatar

Originally Posted by ChoklitReign

My Dell XPS 1530's battery is out of juice. It can only charge up to 8% which means it can no longer live without the cord. Where do I find a specific replacement battery?

Take out the battery and inspect it for a part number. Google the part number and your first several pages should all be hits for buying replacement batteries.

You can also, y'know, call Dell. :P
Servbot #42
Member
(10-21-2009, 02:00 AM)
Servbot #42's Avatar
I need help gaf, i bought a dvd writer LG GH22NP. everything seemed fine at first however when i do intensive tasks like burning dvd's or installing games from CD my comp freezes up, i can't do anything except to reboot my PC by force. That's not all tough, sometimes instead of my PC freezing up the screen turns to black, the case still has power but nothing shows up in the monitor. The only thing that doesn't work is the DVD drive, like it has no power. This last part has made suspect that it's a problem with my power supply, you see it's only a 300W PSU, i have a video card installed, a hard drive and the DVD drive so i think i am pushing my PSU too hard. So tell me gaf i am in the right track? :/

thanks in advance.
Fragamemnon
The Man. The Myth.
The Legend.
(10-21-2009, 02:28 AM)
Fragamemnon's Avatar

Originally Posted by methane47

I have a strange issue.

Say my computer is off and i press the button to start it. Sometimes.. not all the time... I will get an error beep before anything displays on the screen.
One Long and 3 short beeps No repeats.. just the one time.. and nothing will ever come on.

So i turn off my PC... switch my RAM from 2 paired slots to the other 2 paired slots.. and boom.. computer works... If I try to switch back it will not work..

Then... sometime in the future after a couple resets I will get the error beeps again and have to switch out the ram ports again..... Sooo in short... only 2 Ram slots work... but the two that work switch all the time..

What is the problem... how can I solve it?

ASUS P5Q
2x 2gb RAM
BFG Tech GeForce 8800 GT
Core 2 duo E6600

Had this problem, turned out to be a flaky PSU. I replaced it and never had the problem ever again.
Fragamemnon
The Man. The Myth.
The Legend.
(10-21-2009, 02:32 AM)
Fragamemnon's Avatar

Originally Posted by BadTaste105

WoW could be performing better, for instance this past couple days I can't record myself playing the game using Fraps like I used to because the FPS drops way down, where-as a few days ago it recorded without a hitch.

I've seen some wacky behavior like this before. Can you paste a screenshot with the output from GPU-Z?
Skittleguy
Ring a Bell for me
(10-21-2009, 02:38 AM)
Funny tech-related story: so a few months ago we noticed out DSL service dropped from 6Mbit to 3Mbit, and after much deliberation with our ISP, they finally sent out a techy to check our setup. As it turns out, they couldn't locate our modem by MAC address from the hub, since some asshat unclipped our line and spliced it onto someone else's, masking our modem and halving our connection.

Now we have a direct line to to hub, and our speed is back to normal. Pretty dumb.
BadTaste
Member
(10-21-2009, 03:14 AM)
BadTaste's Avatar

Originally Posted by Fragamemnon

I've seen some wacky behavior like this before. Can you paste a screenshot with the output from GPU-Z?


Heidalloon
Member
(10-21-2009, 07:36 AM)
Heidalloon's Avatar
Internet problem.

I'm living in a dorm so I'm using my university's connection. For some reason, I can't seem to get speeds greater than 30 kb/s when using ftp. Originally when I first moved in I could get over 1mb/s, but now I'm stuck with this cap. Direct download works just fine and doesn't seem to have any cap, so I'm not really sure what the problem is.
Fragamemnon
The Man. The Myth.
The Legend.
(10-21-2009, 07:55 AM)
Fragamemnon's Avatar

Originally Posted by Heidalloon

Internet problem.

I'm living in a dorm so I'm using my university's connection. For some reason, I can't seem to get speeds greater than 30 kb/s when using ftp. Originally when I first moved in I could get over 1mb/s, but now I'm stuck with this cap. Direct download works just fine and doesn't seem to have any cap, so I'm not really sure what the problem is.

Traffic shaping or network congestion. Academic network services, if contacted, can tell you which, though it's almost certainly packet shaping, especially if you note that the speed changes depending on the time of day. HTTP downloads are generally not shaped in any way, which is why direct downloads are speedy.


@BadTaste105 - Thanks for posting those-I wanted to check and make sure that your PCI-e bus was running at the full 16x (and it is). You might want to use the tool and do some temperature logging to see if there's a possibility that you're heating up under load.
claviertekky
Member
(10-21-2009, 08:41 AM)

Originally Posted by Gexecuter

I need help gaf, i bought a dvd writer LG GH22NP. everything seemed fine at first however when i do intensive tasks like burning dvd's or installing games from CD my comp freezes up, i can't do anything except to reboot my PC by force. That's not all tough, sometimes instead of my PC freezing up the screen turns to black, the case still has power but nothing shows up in the monitor. The only thing that doesn't work is the DVD drive, like it has no power. This last part has made suspect that it's a problem with my power supply, you see it's only a 300W PSU, i have a video card installed, a hard drive and the DVD drive so i think i am pushing my PSU too hard. So tell me gaf i am in the right track? :/

thanks in advance.

Does it freeze up completely? Generally, installing from CD/ burning disks is a pretty intensive CPU process. I don't do anything else when I'm doing those activities.

Originally Posted by gamerecks

Ok here we go

[IMG]http://i36.************/r93c76.jpg[/IMG]

Haha. I see you labeled your partitions accordingly. Good job!

So what you want to do here is when you are ready to remove Windows 7 RC, right click on the volume (G:) labeled Windows 7 RC and select "Delete Volume". Confirm it.

Then, you can expand your "Physical Games" (F:) drive by right click on it and "Extend volume". Add the remaining space and see that you have more space for your physical games volume! :D

Now, if you still remember the advice I said earlier:

Grab a copy of Easy BCD build 64.

http://neosmart.net/forums/showthread.php?t=642

Note: Use http://www.bugmenot.com/ to obtain a free username/password if you do not want to register.

Install it and Launch. (Default installation is OK. No need to add the Tweak program.)

Go to the "Add/Remove" Button. Highlight the one that says "Windows 7 RC" and delete it.

Hit Save!

That is all.

In the event you run into problems booting up after doing this, be sure to have your Windows 7 RTM Disk to help you there. Run the repair option, and it should figure out what is wrong.

Originally Posted by Heidalloon

Internet problem.

I'm living in a dorm so I'm using my university's connection. For some reason, I can't seem to get speeds greater than 30 kb/s when using ftp. Originally when I first moved in I could get over 1mb/s, but now I'm stuck with this cap. Direct download works just fine and doesn't seem to have any cap, so I'm not really sure what the problem is.

Internet throttling! This is why people hate Comcast or throttling in general.
Hawkian
The Cryptarch's Bane
(10-22-2009, 01:19 AM)
Hawkian's Avatar
Comcast sucks ass, but it is nothing compared to university blacklisting and throttling. You basically need to do all your p2p and file transfer from an internet cafe or other hijacked wifi connection.

The system at my school (Isis) actually had a banhammer, if you exceeded a certain MB limit you lost your access for a day; did it again, 3 days; did it again, permanent loss of internet access while at school. I knew two n00bs to whom this occurred, they just couldn't help themselves!
Piano
Foie Gras For Free!
(10-22-2009, 11:15 PM)
Piano's Avatar
Quick question: I'm looking into upgrading my laptop RAM. Currently I've got a 2 gig stick and a 1 gig stick in there - different brands. My plan is to buy another 2 gig stick off of new egg to replace the one gig...will it matter that my RAM sticks are different brands? Dumb question, I know. Just felt like making sure.

Also, what's the easiest way under Windows 7 to edit the partitions on my hard drive? And what are the advantages to partitioning? Just organization?
yodandy
Member
(10-23-2009, 01:08 AM)
yodandy's Avatar
So, my pc crashed, had to reinstall, no big deal, but one thing that used to work that doesnt now is an opera user script.

Its an auto pagerizer for neogaf...

http://en.opera-wiki.com/oAutoPagerize

I have both the main userscript, and the site info, and the icon in the upper left hand corner shows that its 'loading' but it never inserts the next page in the current page...

Ive checked everything, uninstall, reinstall, script delete/readd, checked that userscripts are enabled, checked to make sure no random site preferences are blocking it, i cant figure it out, it worked before reformat, it works on google, but not on neogaf!

i miss this soooo much, anyone know whats up?
claviertekky
Member
(10-23-2009, 02:07 AM)

Originally Posted by TheEastonator

Quick question: I'm looking into upgrading my laptop RAM. Currently I've got a 2 gig stick and a 1 gig stick in there - different brands. My plan is to buy another 2 gig stick off of new egg to replace the one gig...will it matter that my RAM sticks are different brands? Dumb question, I know. Just felt like making sure.

Also, what's the easiest way under Windows 7 to edit the partitions on my hard drive? And what are the advantages to partitioning? Just organization?

No, it won't matter what brands. What matters is the speed of the memory and size (DDR/DDR2/DDR3). It would be wise to get a compatible speed that matches with your current setup.

What Windows do you use right now? For a free third party tool, I use GParted which comes with the Ubuntu LiveCD Distro.

If you use Windows Vista/7, the included disk management tool (rightclick my computer -> manage -> storage -> disk management), works very well.

Originally Posted by yodandy

So, my pc crashed, had to reinstall, no big deal, but one thing that used to work that doesnt now is an opera user script.

Its an auto pagerizer for neogaf...

http://en.opera-wiki.com/oAutoPagerize

I have both the main userscript, and the site info, and the icon in the upper left hand corner shows that its 'loading' but it never inserts the next page in the current page...

Ive checked everything, uninstall, reinstall, script delete/readd, checked that userscripts are enabled, checked to make sure no random site preferences are blocking it, i cant figure it out, it worked before reformat, it works on google, but not on neogaf!

i miss this soooo much, anyone know whats up?

It may be something easy to overlook. On your old setup did you use Opera 9 or 10?
Timedog
good credit (by proxy)
(10-23-2009, 02:09 AM)
Timedog's Avatar
Issue #1:

Windows just said there's a problem with my HDD and I should back everything up. Downloaded Active Smart and it shows the HDD as in good condition (all green lights and "ok" for everything on every drive.

I have noticed a single click every about hour or so coming from my case. There used to be a lot of clicking when I had my 2 old HDD's in my old case/setup, so I thought it was coming from one of the old HDD. Windows says it's the new 1tb drive.

This happened (the windows message) after I powered on my new computer from being in hibernate mode. It didn't happen after a click.

What should I do? Believe Active Smart or windows? Does Active Smart have a period of time it should be run before you know the hard drive is ok?



Issue #2:

ever since I installed Windows 7 I have to click lots of times to open anything or to click on a link. I know it's not my mouse cause shooting shit works every time in Pain Killer with a single mouse click.
claviertekky
Member
(10-23-2009, 02:15 AM)

Originally Posted by Timedog

Issue #1:

Windows just said there's a problem with my HDD and I should back everything up. Downloaded Active Smart and it shows the HDD as in good condition (all green lights and "ok" for everything on every drive.

I have noticed a single click every about hour or so coming from my case. There used to be a lot of clicking when I had my 2 old HDD's in my old case/setup, so I thought it was coming from one of the old HDD. Windows says it's the new 1tb drive.

This happened (the windows message) after I powered on my new computer from being in hibernate mode. It didn't happen after a click.

What should I do? Believe Active Smart or windows? Does Active Smart have a period of time it should be run before you know the hard drive is ok?



Issue #2:

ever since I installed Windows 7 I have to click lots of times to open anything or to click on a link. I know it's not my mouse cause shooting shit works every time in Pain Killer with a single mouse click.

1. I would believe Windows. The fact that it's yelping at you should alert you to backup.

2. Click a lot of times? This might be hard drive related.

Try a different mouse.
Timedog
good credit (by proxy)
(10-23-2009, 02:41 AM)
Timedog's Avatar
NM on issue #2, I just unplugged my wireless mouse reciever and set it closer to my mouse and it works fine :lol
yodandy
Member
(10-23-2009, 02:54 AM)
yodandy's Avatar

Originally Posted by claviertekky

No, it won't matter what brands. What matters is the speed of the memory and size (DDR/DDR2/DDR3). It would be wise to get a compatible speed that matches with your current setup.

What Windows do you use right now? For a free third party tool, I use GParted which comes with the Ubuntu LiveCD Distro.

If you use Windows Vista/7, the included disk management tool (rightclick my computer -> manage -> storage -> disk management), works very well.


It may be something easy to overlook. On your old setup did you use Opera 9 or 10?

It was opera 10, I keep thinking it HAS to be something easy, like javascript is disable/somehow blocked content/whatever, but i cant.figure.it.out.
Zutroy
Member
(10-23-2009, 03:01 AM)
Zutroy's Avatar
My friend asked me to look at their laptop for them. The screen image was completely distorted (including POST and BIOS) and it would constantly get the BSOD before it could even load Windows. Tested the RAM and the screen connections and they seem fine. I've came up with the conclusion that the GPU is dying. Does that seem like a reasonable conclusion, or could it be something else?
Timedog
good credit (by proxy)
(10-23-2009, 07:34 AM)
Timedog's Avatar

Originally Posted by claviertekky

1. I would believe Windows. The fact that it's yelping at you should alert you to backup.

2. Click a lot of times? This might be hard drive related.

Try a different mouse.

I've been running active smart for several hours and hd tune and both say the drive is fine. What does windows know that these programs don't?

One of my other hard drives didn't just have a click once in awhile, but knarly crunching sounds sometimes out of nowhere. Windows hasn't said a peep about that one, and that one might be the once causing the current, sparse click noise.
Hawkian
The Cryptarch's Bane
(10-23-2009, 08:25 AM)
Hawkian's Avatar

Originally Posted by CRD90

My friend asked me to look at their laptop for them. The screen image was completely distorted (including POST and BIOS) and it would constantly get the BSOD before it could even load Windows. Tested the RAM and the screen connections and they seem fine. I've came up with the conclusion that the GPU is dying. Does that seem like a reasonable conclusion, or could it be something else?

Can you be sure that the laptop has a dedicated gfx card?

Can't boot into safe mode, eh? Can you make stuff out in the bios even though it's distorted?
Danj
Member
(10-23-2009, 10:16 AM)
Danj's Avatar
I just upgraded my Vista Business x64 to Windows 7 Pro x64. Since I got a cheap deal on Office 2007 at the same time I've been trying to install that but I keep getting "the language of this installation package is not supported by your system". I googled this but all I can find is stuff about foreign people trying to install English versions on non-English systems. This is an English digital download version of Office 2007, legitimately obtained, being tried to install on an English full retail copy of Windows 7 Professional. I'm stumped. Can anyone help?
permutated
Banned
(10-23-2009, 10:29 AM)
Is there a way to tweak my Mac to get better performance out of COD4?

If so how do I or what programs would I use? I'm on a unibody 15" MBP.
Danj
Member
(10-23-2009, 10:57 AM)
Danj's Avatar
Okay, never mind, turns out I am a dumbass, I thought the download needed to be extracted and burned to disc since it had an autorun.inf and stuff in it but I guess the extractor has some important component in it as it works now that I redownloaded the original file.
D4Danger
Member
(10-23-2009, 04:53 PM)
Windows 7 networking help

When I boot my computer my network appears as a Home Network and a Unidentified Public Network. Both only have local access.

I can fix it by restarting my LAN. The Unidentified Public network disappears and my Home network has Internet access again.

So, anyone know if there is a fix? If it's my motherboard, router, Windows 7? I don't want to have to restart my LAN every time I login.

---

update: fixed it (explanation for archive purposes and Google searches.)

When I install Photoshop CS3 it installs a service called Bonjour. From what I can tell this was loading before the network services and was setting my default gateway to 0.0.0.0 and messing everything up (that could be wrong). Anyway, I disabled the service and it all works.

http://heaths.spaces.live.com/blog/c...030!1819.entry
Timedog
good credit (by proxy)
(10-23-2009, 05:02 PM)
Timedog's Avatar
Welp, ran ESTool from Samsung (the maker of the drive) and did a diagnostic on my drive, ran Active Smart, and HD Tune, and all of those cleared my drive as okay. Should I still believe windows?

Thread Tools