• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

Firefox |OT| : Page 2
Bornstellar
Sickle Cell Anemia - Not Just For Blacks Anymore!
(03-10-2012, 07:31 AM)
Bornstellar's Avatar
So I've been trying to decide what browser to use recently. I've had a mostly pleasant experience with Chrome, though it is a resource hog in comparison to the other browsers. I also get serious slowdown with .gifs that have been auto-resized on GAF (see page 2 of the Mechwarrior online trailer thread). I've tried out both FF and Opera and it seems opera is winning. Anyone else have a similar experience?
beat
Member
(03-10-2012, 07:57 AM)
beat's Avatar

Originally Posted by Izick

Is the performance between the 2 on a 64 bit computer like night and day?

No, Waterfox and Firefox on the same computer are practically identical in speed. I don't know why I switched, really.
Blackhead
Redarse
(03-10-2012, 12:51 PM)
Are there other add-ons similar to IE View or IE Tab 2 that can be used for other browsers (Safari, Chrome, Opera) on other platforms (Mac, Linux)? I know of Open With and Choosy but would like an extension that doesn't have to open another app. Is this possible?
Izick
(03-10-2012, 03:18 PM)

Originally Posted by Dreams-Visions

this thread needs to have the GAF add-ons and Greasemonkey added to the OP.

Could anyone link me to the GAF add-ons? I used to use some when I used Chrome, but I never found any to really enhance the browsing experience much.
kharma45
Member
(03-10-2012, 03:28 PM)
kharma45's Avatar

Originally Posted by Izick

Could anyone link me to the GAF add-ons? I used to use some when I used Chrome, but I never found any to really enhance the browsing experience much.

Live Thread

YouTube Me Again! (Watch YouTube videos on GAF)

NeoGAF User Highlighter - Be aware that you'll have to open up the script manually to enter your GAF username and mess around with any options. Manage User Scripts -> Select the script -> Edit.

Would be well worth adding those three at least to the OP.
Izick
(03-10-2012, 03:36 PM)
OP Updated

Originally Posted by kharma45

- Be aware that you'll have to open up the script manually to enter your GAF username and mess around with any options. Manage User Scripts -> Select the script -> Edit.

Would be well worth adding those three at least to the OP.

Done and done. How does it look? I included links to both Greasemonkey and Scriptish as well.
kharma45
Member
(03-10-2012, 03:43 PM)
kharma45's Avatar
Looks fine :)

If I've time some day I might try and create some stuff for the OP, like banners/headers or something like that.
Izick
(03-10-2012, 03:46 PM)

Originally Posted by kharma45

Looks fine :)

If I've time some day I might try and create some stuff for the OP, like banners/headers or something like that.

That would be much appreciated! :P
kharma45
Member
(03-10-2012, 03:56 PM)
kharma45's Avatar
They'll probably look terrible as I lack any kind of artistic talent but I'll give it a go :P
Izick
(03-10-2012, 03:57 PM)

Originally Posted by kharma45

They'll probably look terrible as I lack any kind of artistic talent but I'll give it a go :P

Can't hurt to try.
Darkatomz
Member
(03-10-2012, 08:24 PM)
Darkatomz's Avatar

Originally Posted by kharma45

Live Thread

YouTube Me Again! (Watch YouTube videos on GAF)

NeoGAF User Highlighter - Be aware that you'll have to open up the script manually to enter your GAF username and mess around with any options. Manage User Scripts -> Select the script -> Edit.

Would be well worth adding those three at least to the OP.

Speaking of the User Highlighter script, is there any way to get this working with the Pro Dark theme with Stylish? I don't think a fix was every created.
kharma45
Member
(03-10-2012, 10:23 PM)
kharma45's Avatar
Some images to throw in potentially, maybe make hyperlinks with them instead of just the text. Some of the images may be of no use but it might help to make our OT a bit more aesthetically pleasing.

http://min.us/mJv4MgsPT

And the banner about performance you could stick in about the browser grand prix as well as well as some of the stuff from under here where I took most of the images http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/features/

We could change the OT title maybe too a bit, just an idea but something like Firefox |OT| - Home of the Awesome Bar

It's Firefox's most standout feature so could be worth boasting about in the title :P
Kareha
Member
(03-10-2012, 10:27 PM)
Kareha's Avatar
Firefox 11 Stable ready to download if you can't wait for the updater to kick in:

http://www.ghacks.net/2012/03/10/fir...able-released/
kharma45
Member
(03-10-2012, 10:27 PM)
kharma45's Avatar
Cheers for the heads up!
kodecraft
Member
(03-11-2012, 06:31 PM)
kodecraft's Avatar
Firefox lets do it.
Izick
(03-11-2012, 07:25 PM)

Originally Posted by Ghacks

Update: Mozilla is preparing to replace the current version with an update. It is not advised to download the release version just yet.

Be careful. Mozilla is preparing to issue an update to that release, so it may not be quite stable yet.


Originally Posted by kharma45

Some images to throw in potentially, maybe make hyperlinks with them instead of just the text. Some of the images may be of no use but it might help to make our OT a bit more aesthetically pleasing.

http://min.us/mJv4MgsPT

And the banner about performance you could stick in about the browser grand prix as well as well as some of the stuff from under here where I took most of the images http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/features/

We could change the OT title maybe too a bit, just an idea but something like Firefox |OT| - Home of the Awesome Bar

It's Firefox's most standout feature so could be worth boasting about in the title :P

Where did you find that "Try Firefox Beta" image? If we could find something that mimicked that for Stable and Aurora, then that would look very nice.
kharma45
Member
(03-11-2012, 09:12 PM)
kharma45's Avatar
This one?



It was just on their main page, can't find anything similar for Stable or Aurora.

I can't even find out what font it is to mimic it either.

For stable we could use something like this maybe

Izick
(03-12-2012, 01:42 AM)

Originally Posted by kharma45

This one?



It was just on their main page, can't find anything similar for Stable or Aurora.

I can't even find out what font it is to mimic it either.

For stable we could use something like this maybe

Yeah, that looks good for those two, I wish we could find something matching for Aurora and Nightly.
Vanillalite
Ask me about the GAF Notebook
(03-13-2012, 03:35 AM)
Vanillalite's Avatar
I wonder if Mozilla will create a separate channel for the Win 8 version?!?!
Kreios
Member
(03-13-2012, 03:55 AM)
Kreios's Avatar
I had to go back to 7. 10 would take FOREVER to start up. Let me know how you like 11 GAF (after the update).
Dany
Banned
(03-13-2012, 03:58 AM)
Dany's Avatar
I'd like a proper fullscreen mode with the bookmark toolbar present, wasn't in nightly, the last time i checked.
Vanillalite
Ask me about the GAF Notebook
(03-13-2012, 07:35 AM)
Vanillalite's Avatar

Originally Posted by Kreios

I had to go back to 7. 10 would take FOREVER to start up. Let me know how you like 11 GAF (after the update).

Why would you go back to 7? Why not 9?
Izick
(03-13-2012, 07:40 AM)

Originally Posted by Brettison

Why would you go back to 7? Why not 9?

Like to know as well.

I've had no problems with 10, besides it's UI lag, but that's been a problem for as long as I can remember. Not sure what the problem was, but you should be fine upgrading to 10 now.
sykoex
Lost all credibility.
(03-14-2012, 06:33 AM)
sykoex's Avatar
With the Firefox 11 update, when I open an image file it's centered with a dark background around it, anyone know how to disable this?

Edit: Nevermind I found this:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...t-image-style/

There doesn't seem to be an actual toggle for it in Firefox's options. I just happen to prefer the old way.
Kareha
Member
(03-14-2012, 07:03 AM)
Kareha's Avatar
That addon is awesome, great to have images back to how I remember them.
neoanarch
Member
(03-14-2012, 07:08 AM)
neoanarch's Avatar
Embrace the change. I actually prefer the new style. Centered makes much more sense than aligned to the left.
Izick
(03-14-2012, 07:18 AM)

Originally Posted by neoanarch

Embrace the change. I actually prefer the new style. Centered makes much more sense than aligned to the left.

I've always liked that actually. I'm excited for 11! I'm going to assume you all are using Windows or Macs, right? Has Mozilla rolled out the process to update Firefox to 11 by going to About Help yet, or did you have to download it manually?

I've been seeing that it's available to people through About Firefox, but I can't seem to figure out how to update it in Ubuntu.
neoanarch
Member
(03-14-2012, 07:22 AM)
neoanarch's Avatar

Originally Posted by Izick

I've always liked that actually. I'm excited for 11! I'm going to assume you all are using Windows or Macs, right? Has Mozilla rolled out the process to update Firefox to 11 by going to About Help yet, or did you have to download it manually?

I've been seeing that it's available to people through About Firefox, but I can't seem to figure out how to update it in Ubuntu.

You know ubuntu is funny like that. To get the beta version you'll probably have to find it in the App Center or add the repo manually. You may have to google some instructions.
sykoex
Lost all credibility.
(03-14-2012, 07:22 AM)
sykoex's Avatar

Originally Posted by Izick

I've always liked that actually. I'm excited for 11! I'm going to assume you all are using Windows or Macs, right? Has Mozilla rolled out the process to update Firefox to 11 by going to About Help yet, or did you have to download it manually?

I've been seeing that it's available to people through About Firefox, but I can't seem to figure out how to update it in Ubuntu.

Yep that's how I got it, using Windows.

I'm really liking the update. It feels like heavy javascript sites like twitter are much snappier.
Madtown_
Member
(03-14-2012, 08:13 PM)
Madtown_'s Avatar

Originally Posted by neoanarch

You know ubuntu is funny like that. To get the beta version you'll probably have to find it in the App Center or add the repo manually. You may have to google some instructions.

Yeah, I went through this a couple of days ago..something like this worked for me: http://www.webupd8.org/2011/05/firef...buntu-ppa.html

Old number but still works the same.
Apparently Fx11 has added add-on sync, which is a nice feature.
Uno Venova
Banned
(03-15-2012, 12:00 AM)
Uno Venova's Avatar
I can see the UI start to change a little with the new Nightly, new buttons, new tab page looks nice, very speedy too.

And Scriptish is much better than Greasemonkey, can't believe I just found out about it.
Kreios
Member
(03-15-2012, 12:12 AM)
Kreios's Avatar

Originally Posted by Brettison

Why would you go back to 7? Why not 9?

7 was the last one I remembered working well. I've had this problem for quite a long time, where I start up firefox and have enough time for coffee before it works. I'm using a netbook, so maybe that has something to do with it. I'll give 11 a shot once the kinks are worked out
O.DOGG
Member
(03-15-2012, 12:13 AM)
O.DOGG's Avatar
Fucking piece of shit Flash plugin keeps crashing. It won't make me switch browsers but it's annoying as hell. Tried reinstalling, same difference.
rozay
Banned
(03-15-2012, 12:22 AM)
rozay's Avatar

Originally Posted by upJTboogie

I can see the UI start to change a little with the new Nightly, new buttons, new tab page looks nice, very speedy too.

And Scriptish is much better than Greasemonkey, can't believe I just found out about it.

pic of new tab page?
Izick
(03-15-2012, 12:25 AM)

Originally Posted by Kreios

7 was the last one I remembered working well. I've had this problem for quite a long time, where I start up firefox and have enough time for coffee before it works. I'm using a netbook, so maybe that has something to do with it. I'll give 11 a shot once the kinks are worked out

Hm, I'm not sure. I have a relatively weaker laptop, maybe not netbook weak, but nothing too fancy, and Firefox takes like 5-10 seconds to boot for me. How many different extensions are you using?
kharma45
Member
(03-15-2012, 12:27 AM)
kharma45's Avatar

Originally Posted by rozay

pic of new tab page?

Yeah if you could post a screencap that'd be awesome :)

Also, if we're still looking for a Nightly header, what about this?

outunderthestars
Banned
(03-15-2012, 12:28 AM)
I downloaded FF11 today, but cannot find the chrome migration tool. Anyone know where it is?
Kreios
Member
(03-15-2012, 12:33 AM)
Kreios's Avatar

Originally Posted by Izick

Hm, I'm not sure. I have a relatively weaker laptop, maybe not netbook weak, but nothing too fancy, and Firefox takes like 5-10 seconds to boot for me. How many different extensions are you using?

That might be it. I'm using 9 extensions. I'll try disabling a couple things I don't use as often or care about, like personas or downthemall, and switch to the newer version now.

Edit: Much better. And personas still works disabled haha. I just cant switch what I have
Izick
(03-15-2012, 12:35 AM)

Originally Posted by kharma45

Yeah if you could post a screencap that'd be awesome :)

Also, if we're still looking for a Nightly header, what about this?

I really like that design, I just want the clickable images to be consistent, you know?

Originally Posted by Kreios

That might be it. I'm using 9 extensions. I'll try disabling a couple things I don't use as often or care about, like personas or downthemall, and switch to the newer version now.

Yeah, try that and see how you fare. I'm going suspect it's way faster.
kharma45
Member
(03-15-2012, 12:37 AM)
kharma45's Avatar

Originally Posted by Izick

I really like that design, I just want the clickable images to be consistent, you know?

Ah fair do's, I'll keep looking around to see what I can come up with.
Izick
(03-15-2012, 12:39 AM)

Originally Posted by kharma45

Ah fair do's, I'll keep looking around to see what I can come up with.

Thanks, I appreciate all the help you've given! :P
Uno Venova
Banned
(03-15-2012, 12:47 AM)
Uno Venova's Avatar

Originally Posted by rozay

pic of new tab page?

.

Izick
(03-15-2012, 12:54 AM)

Originally Posted by upJTboogie



Wow, that looks great. I remember they had one before, but it didn't look nearly as polished as that.

EDIT: So I just downloaded FF Nightly for Linux...holy shit is everything so much better. Everything is smoother, especially UI wise, faster, just better.
Madtown_
Member
(03-15-2012, 01:45 AM)
Madtown_'s Avatar
Yes, the 'new' New Tab page is a HUGE improvement over the last one. Hopefully there aren't any major bugs and it can make its' way to release.
edit: it could still use a little work when the window is small.. it shows the left side of the page

They are working on a new Downloads UI as well.. in-tab rather than new window as it is now.
Road
Member
(03-15-2012, 03:04 AM)

Originally Posted by Izick

I really like that design, I just want the clickable images to be consistent, you know?

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/brand/downloads/

Edit: I didn't notice kharma45 was doing those himself. At first I read he was looking around as in searching for the logos...
Jasoco
Banned
(03-15-2012, 07:26 AM)
Jasoco's Avatar
Firefox 11 is out and it STILL doesn't have Lion Fullscreen mode? Chrome announced support for Lion Fullscreen as soon as Lion was released, announced a 6 month window and had full Lion support within weeks. Firefox hasn't said a fucking thing about supporting Lion Fullscreen. Seriously?
Fuzzy
I would bang a hot farmer!
(03-15-2012, 07:50 AM)
Quick question, what does it mean when the refresh button keeps flashing when on a page? It happens sometimes here on GAF but never anywhere else. This was on 10.0.2 and I just updated to 11 so I don't know if it'll happen on this one also.
Sagitario
Member
(03-15-2012, 08:02 AM)
Sagitario's Avatar
I like the centered alignment of pictures, what I don't like is the background color. Any way to change just that?

What's new on Firefox 11? I can't find or notice anything new [not even in loading improvements, but that's because my internet speed is acting funny tonight].
Izick
(03-15-2012, 08:15 AM)

Originally Posted by Sagitario

I like the centered alignment of pictures, what I don't like is the background color. Any way to change just that?

What's new on Firefox 11? I can't find or notice anything new [not even in loading improvements, but that's because my internet speed is acting funny tonight].

Basically changes the way you look at images, as you said, it added an add-on compatibility checker, solved add-on compatibility issues, added a 3D tilt page inspector function, added a on the fly CSS editor, and of course it makes everything faster and squashed the occasional bugs and glitches.

Nothing terribly exciting for the average user, but a solid update nonetheless.
kharma45
Member
(03-15-2012, 11:24 AM)
kharma45's Avatar

Originally Posted by Road

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/brand/downloads/

Edit: I didn't notice kharma45 was doing those himself. At first I read he was looking around as in searching for the logos...

Oh no I'm not doing them myself :P I've just been searching around for them all, I've nowhere near the creative talent to do that.

Thread Tools