• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve's voice actor: HL3 not in dev for several reasons; insufficient Mo-Cap tech.

I echo others' sentiments that this doesn't seem like very surprising news. It just doesn't seem like enough people want to work on it. Either that, or they're finding it difficult to adapt it to their 'games as services' mantra they've been standing by over the past few years.

Shining

You guys obviously know nothing. Actually, HL3 might be exclusive to the Xbone. I found this out yesterday while deciphering some of the high res controller pics:

P1kw3U1.jpg

Trick_GSF

Banned
Kind of stopped caring at this point. It's been too long. It'll probably never see the light of day anyway, though I do think the Half-life universe will continue in some capacity. More spin-offs like Portal most likely.

Probably just as well, for me personally anyway. It would never be as good as the original. Speaking of which, did they ever finish that Black Mesa remake?

spandario

Banned
Because voice actors ALWAYS know what's going on with games. None of them ever say stupid uninformed things, that literally has never ever happened.

jcm

Of course it is. Valve just has no reason to rush it. Sure they will piss off a few fans, but in the end rushing HL3 and making it anything less than amazing will be much more damaging.

Rush it? Any danger of them rushing it ended years ago.

foxtrot3d

Banned
I don't believe it. That would be just too incredibly stupid if it were true. Valve won't make the game because they can game in game character to always look at you? GTFO.

If it is true then Valve has really gone over the deep end into madness.

Burt

Rush it? Any danger of them rushing it ended years ago.
Well, they've definitely been waiting for next gen consoles ever since Ep. 1 and 2 didn't match the praise that HL2 got, so you "rushing" in this context is probably more about getting it out in the first quarter of launch. Granted, I'm sure most of the preproduction, design, and art has been in a state that could be considered "done" for a long time, and they've just been tinkering with it while waiting for technology to catch up.

Well, they've definitely been waiting for next gen consoles ever since Ep. 1 and 2 didn't match the praise that HL2 got, so you "rushing" in this context is probably more about getting it out in the first quarter of launch. Granted, I'm sure most of the preproduction, design, and art has been in a state that could be considered "done" for a long time, and they've just been tinkering with it while waiting for technology to catch up.

Why would Valve be waiting on next gen consoles?

TrutaS

This sounds more like a normal stumble during active development than a rage-quitting reason to halt development altogether.

Jesus guys get a grip. It's not in development. Full stop.

But when it does eventually come out, you'll all knife yourselves in the belly in the first sight of an 8/10. I mean, HL1 and HL2 wasn't even that great. They were good, but not be all and end all great.

Mrbob

My theory is the games scope is too big for current gen, so they are waiting for PS3/Xbox360 to be phased out and they can release it on PC/PS4/XB1.

I'd laugh if some lone indie developer just decided to finish the trilogy for them, seems like the only way it'll ever get done.

I hear Double Helix is available.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Forget HL3, I can't understand why they never bothered to finish Episode 3. They have no obligation to make HL3, but I feel like they broke trust by leaving the episodes unfinished.

Kydd BlaZe

Becoming more and more bitter with each new Half-Life 3 rumor...

Fuck you, Valve...seriously. It'll be fucking 10 years next November since Half-Life 2 launched, and 6 years this October since Episode Two launched (ending with an emotionally crippling cliffhanger nonetheless). They fucking owe it to the fans to finish the goddamn story.

v0mitg0d

I'm crushed. CRUSHED. Even if this is in the hearsay category, but I've just heard from too many people that this is the case and it destroys me to think it's a possibility.

Damn DOTA2s success. :(

munroe

I would like hl3 to be announced but not really holding my breath for it, compared to other devs i.e blizzard which took what, 10 years to release starcraft 2, 6 years since episode 2 is quite early.

Valve knows people want half life 3 but if they're not happy about the current tech then so be it. Would rather have a game that they're happy to develop with the features and tech/ideas they want in it.

Didly

Banned
That sounds like artificial intelligence programming not motion capture, as someone who has done motion capture.

rahmz

Neo Member
You guys obviously know nothing. Actually, HL3 might be exclusive to the Xbone. I found this out yesterday while deciphering some of the high res controller pics:

LOL

I love the half life 3 community. Always trying to find an atoms worth of any tidbits hinting to the next half life.

Pretty funny :)

since valve always denies rumor after rumor of hl3 information, maybe they'll finally say this one is true or at least the usual we don't comment on rumors bs that companies like to use

codecow

Sounds unlikely as the actual reason.

Most games use some type of procedural awareness, depending on how the performance is captured an approximation of the target look direction (per bone) can be subtracted out of the motion of those bones leaving some version of the "fine" performance that you can re-apply additive after providing a dynamic look direction. Not as good for sure, but also not terrible. Most people don't even bother, they just stomp that part of the performance.

So we've been waiting 6 years for HL3 because they can't program smooth character animation?

I feel like, after six years without resolution, that ending changes from "great cliffhanger" to "bad writing." A cliffhanger only works if you resolve it or have some deeper meaning for leaving it dangling. Neither of those conditions exist here.

Half-Life 3 has become Valve's unicorn.

HL2 propelled them to such incredible heights in the industry that they will probably not ever finish the trilogy out of fear that it would not provide a satisfying conclusion to the series.

I'm getting that George Lucas vibe from this statement... :\

Maybe Gabe will release a Half-Life 2: Special Edition with 100% more CGI Jabba.

GORDON
SHOT
FIRST!

Randdalf

Yeah I'm calling bullshit. This makes no sense to me.

Have you ever read Geoff Keighley's article about Half-Life 2's development? It's very insightful, kind of makes you understand why they would wait for something like this. Valve wanted to push forward the boundaries of video games as much as the original Half-Life did, until they can figure out what HL3 can bring to the world we won't see it.

http://uk.gamespot.com/features/the-final-hours-of-half-life-2-6112889/

ElFly

Then the solution is developing better animation technology, not just throwing your hands up and saying ok, no HL3, whatevs.

:(

Ovek

7Member7
Perhaps Valve need to talk to Naughty Dog as they seem to be able to use mo cap with zero fucking issues.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
It's never going to get made anyway because Valve is a dedicated F2P community/microtransactions based software developer and digital storefront now.

Well, honestly I think this is the case.

I fully believe Ep 3 was in dev, but other things came up.. waiting on tech.. people moved onto other projects that were new or more interesting... TF2 took off, Steam took off, and dota2 became a real project.. one that Gaben got really addicted too.

The revenue from TF2 and dota2 and Steam itself means that Valve doesn't "need" Half-Life to be a huge revenue stream to fund the other projects, the other projects fund everything already.

From a financial standpoint Valve doesn't need the HL franchise at all. Yet, it feels like the goodwill to gamers type of thing for them to do. It's obviously something people want, but then again there's risk of living up to what is now pretty lofty expectations of what gamers would expect.

Top Bottom