• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TERA: Coming to PS4 and Xbox One in 2017

Xiaoki

Anyone play it with a controller? Feedback?
If you play a melee class then it's fine. Really had no problems with the number of buttons either.

Recently had to stop playing Tera because a memory leak was hard locking my computer, a memory leak that's been on the game since beta.

I really like Tera but I can't play it because of the horrible performance.

MikeyMike

Played it for a while and It was a pretty decent game.

Never played an MMO on console, but like WoW, you need a ton of buttons to play competitively so it might feel limited in that respect.

Scrawnton

I remember my old roommate used to play this game when it came out and it seemed interesting. Doesn't it have a big focus on flying and such?

I'll definitely check it out on Xbox since PS4 is home to FF14 for me.

forms

I have been wanting this for the PS4 for a long time. Nice news. While the gameplay system is good, the character designs are awkward as fuck however.

MikeyMike

I remember my old roommate used to play this game when it came out and it seemed interesting. Doesn't it have a big focus on flying and such?

You're mistaking with Aion. Tera was advertised as an ARPG MMO.

Signed up! My favorite MMO after City of Heroes got shut down. Can't wait to play this on the PS4. Maybe I can finally convince some friends to play with me.

You might be thinking of Aion.

Tera was a lot of fun when I played it near PC launch. Very pretty and it was a lot of fun playing a tank. As the game is real time, more akin to an action game - smashing aside bosses big attacks with my shield and then ramming my lance into their face, whilst protecting the team behind me never got tiring. I'll look forward to this on PS4 later in year.

Played it when it was brand-new on PC. The combat was really good, but everything else seemed like the most boring MMORPG standard stuff. There was little to no exploration and everything seemed so lifeless.

Wondering how it evolved over the years. Will definitely give it another try on PS4.

Z3M0G

Signed up for PS4. Thanks! I can't wait to run this on something better than my PC!

Played it when it was brand-new on PC. The combat was really good, but everything else seemed like the most boring MMORPG standard stuff. There was little to no exploration and everything seemed so lifeless.

Wondering how it evolved over the years. Will definitely give it another try on PS4.

While the combat is fantastic, I also found the old-school MMO Quest grind a major chore... which makes me think I won't even get as far as I did on PC... But the beautiful locations and combat could make it worth it again, especially if I play a lot with my friends!

If you want something different, which also scratches an action-combat MMO itch, try Skyforge. If there has ever been a game that breaks the mold, it's that one.

Scrawnton

You're mistaking with Aion. Tera was advertised as an ARPG MMO.

You might be thinking of Aion.

Tera was a lot of fun when I played it near PC launch. Very pretty and it was a lot of fun playing a tank. As the game is real time, more akin to an action game - smashing aside bosses big attacks with my shield and then ramming my lance into their face, whilst protecting the team behind me never got tiring. I'll look forward to this on PS4 later in year.

You're right, I am thinking of Aion! How does this compare to that? And how does this compare to FF14 and WoW?

drotahorror

Absolutely best combat in the genre by a long shot. It's one of the few MMOs that says "real-time action combat" and actually means it. Every enemy has tells before each attack, and you can dodge/block attacks by either using dodges with invulnerability frames, blocking, or simply walking out of the hitbox of the attack.

Agree with this. The combat is amazing, best in the genre. It kept me going through the content til about level 50.

The game is just too grindy, takes too long to get to end game. This was a few years ago though so maybe things have changed.

I'd definitely say check it out for the combat though.

So is this a typical F2P grindfest with a few dungeons and a million palette-swapped mobs? Or is it worth playing?

It used to be a grindfest not sure about now. There were dungeons and they were pretty tough if I recall. The best thing about dungeons was disbanding the group afterwards and killing all your party members. I remember there being a decent variety in monsters. Around lvl 30? 50? you can fight some monsters called BAM's. Big ass monsters. They're zone unique bosses that require a group to kill.

Z3M0G

So is this a typical F2P grindfest with a few dungeons and a million palette-swapped mobs? Or is it worth playing?

You can take down strong huge enemies solo if you are skillful enough. If that sounds interesting to you, it is really worth checking out. Otherwise, it is as you describe above.

It did not start as F2P though, so the foundation is a bit more concrete perhaps.

Around lvl 30? 50? you can fight some monsters called BAM's. Big ass monsters. They're zone unique bosses that require a group to kill.

More like level 10 if I remember correctly... they start early. And as I stated above, you can solo them if you are skillful enough. The combat is pure action. No locked targeting. For many people, that is what set the game apart and drew them in.

H3xum

I had the most fun with this game than I have with any other MMO since Lineage II.

There are a number of dungeons and they are actually challenging and fun.

I hope it works on console so I can be a filthy casual

MikeyMike

You're right, I am thinking of Aion! How does this compare to that? And how does this compare to FF14 and WoW?

Tera is a very polished MMO (been kept updated for several years) and, in my opinion, is a much better game than Aion.

What sets it apart is the combat, which is action oriented and very fluid and precise. Game looks great and the BAM (Big Ass Monsters) models are quite original in some cases.

On the minus side, quests were boring and it could take quite a while to get into a dungeon with party search as a DPS.

I stopped playing when the Reaper class came out, so it's been a while and the game might have evolved to an even better game now. I'm actually seeing 4 other new classes now which is insane.

Z3M0G

I hope it works on console so I can be a filthy casual

I played on PC 100% with a controller, which had in-game support... using the right stick as a mouse cursor in the GUI, and clicking on things with the trigger. And I found that acceptable.

Whatever they do with the console version must be better than that... I can't wait to find out how they handled it.

If you want something different, which also scratches an action-combat MMO itch, try Skyforge. If there has ever been a game that breaks the mold, it's that one.
I tried Skyforge, sadly I didn't like it at all.

I really liked the combat in Black Desert Online and Vindictus though.

I would say Aion is more like FF14 and WoW. This is an action game with Korean MMO trappings wrapped around it. So that's fairly simple quests, that you play more for the fun action combat than the storyline - though there is one.

The game was very good looking on release and should retain that on the consoles. The female characters are very fan service though, especially the Moe girl class. So that may be off putting to some.

Easily some of the most fun dungeons I've ever played, but again - that's the cool combat making that happen. Real time boss fights, are more like a Monster Hunter co op session than ya typical cool down based MMO.

Cool, played it a few times in the past and it was always enjoyable. Signed up for the PS4 beta.

I guess be warned to those who it bothers, the female outfits are notorious for being scant.

Skulldead

I played it at release, does the game still gear bases ? Even for a action RPG the equipment were way too important. You could kill BAM without getting hit, but everything else was really unbalanced. Did they correct that aspect ?

Scrawnton

I would say Aion is more like FF14 and WoW. This is an action game with Korean MMO trappings wrapped around it. So that's fairly simple quests, that you play more for the fun action combat than the storyline - though there is one.

The game was very good looking on release and should retain that on the consoles. The female characters are very fan service though, especially the Moe girl class. So that may be off putting to some.

Easily some of the most fun dungeons I've ever played, but again - that's the cool combat making that happen. Real time boss fights, are more like a Monster Hunter co op session than ya typical cool down based MMO.

Awesome so if I play this alongside FF14 I'm not gonna feel like I'm being redundant? That's awesome to hear. I signed up for the beta on Xbox, so I look forward to trying it out.

Any insight on it's f2p nature? How limited is the game if you don't pay for anything / what do you actually pay for

Z3M0G

I really liked the combat in Black Desert Online and Vindictus though.

I'd LOVE to try those... but I need them to come to Console. I hear Black Desert is on its way!

Nice.. This will pull me away from skyforge..

I wan't Skyforge's Mission structure, and Tera's everything else. I'm dreading the NPC-quest grind of Tera... Not sure if I can really do that again. I prefer the PSO/Destiny mission structure of Skyforge.

MikeyMike

Awesome so if I play this alongside FF14 I'm not gonna feel like I'm being redundant? That's awesome to hear. I signed up for the beta on Xbox, so I look forward to trying it out.

Any insight on it's f2p nature? How limited is the game if you don't pay for anything / what do you actually pay for

It might have changed but the end content (the most challenging stuff) required +12 gear which was more easily attainable by purchasing stuff from the store.

There was also a subscription per month that got you a bonus to XP and Cash along with items and mounts.

Kyne

played this a ton before it went F2P. Even the F2P model isn't that bad, just speeds up the grind.

This game has the best combat I've ever experience in an MMO (and in a lot of games in general). Pretty sure it won numerous awards for it too.

Innolis

The combat is a great fit for console but you need a very good connection to the server after reaching certain points. Particularly if you are going to solo anything.

Alexlf

Hopefully we'll get to see more pking in the newbie area again so I can get back to pkking, truly the greatest form of entertainment. I wonder if they'll leave the "path" to Baldera open, or if it will even be accessible with console controls.

Scrawnton

How is the world structure in this game? Is it segmented through entry and exit points like Everquest and FF14 or is it open ended like WoW?

Innolis

How is the world structure in this game? Is it segmented through entry and exit points like Everquest and FF14 or is it open ended like WoW?

It's WoW like.

How's the character customization?

It's no black desert, but it's adequate. The character designs are the typical korean high fantasy so be prepared for lolis, big bouncing tits and asses, androgynous males and bulky dudes.

There are one or two races that break that mold though If I remember correctly.

Maledict

I have to give Tera credit for one thing - whilst the female characters are the usual huge boobs, legs and ass characters you get in Korean games, the male characters are equally sexualised and actually very hot. It's not often you get a game which has chainmail bikini armour for men that shows off... lots.

Ferr986

Hmm... I'll probably try to grab a beta but I didn't really like it when I played it on PC.

Combat was good but the world was boring and lifeless. I actually liked Black Desert combat better, and that has a very vibrant world thanks to a lot of life skills well integrated into the world.

Zomba13

I enjoyed playing TERA when I played for a bit, didn't keep up with it because my friend wouldn't keep playing. I enjoyed being the little animal people.

Top Bottom