• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry vs Super Bomberman R 1.3

LordKano

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2017-super-bomberman-r-60fps-patch-report
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQ826yiu0-4

Watch the full video and read the whole article for every details.
By default, Bomberman R's launch code operated at a full 1080p at 30fps in docked mode while dropping to 720p at 30fps when in portable mode. We updated our copy to version 1.3, jumped into a battle and quickly discovered that the game has indeed been updated to run at 60 frames per second. Between the more responsive controls and faster frame-rate, it simply feels better to play.

So how did the team manage to push a 30fps Unity game up to 60fps on the Switch? Simple - the compromise shifted from frame-rate to resolution. When docked, Super Bomberman R drops from a native 1080p in its original form to 720p with the new patch in place. That's a large drop in clarity, but in our opinion, the smoother gameplay more than makes up for it. The compromises continue in portable mode, where the older code's native 720p dips down to 960x540 instead. The loss in clarity is certainly evident but again, the extra fluidity pays dividends here.

This isn't the full story, however. When playing the game's story mode, the original 1080p output is retained but the frame-rate cap is removed. As a result, the story mode now runs with a less stable, but overall higher level of performance, averaging around 45fps now. It's not optimal but without discussing the game with its developers, it's impossible to know if the more detailed story mode could hit 60fps at 720p.

Docked :
- Story Mode : 1080p45fps
- Multiplayer : 720p60fps

Portable :
- Story Mode : 720p45fps
- Multiplayer : 540p60fps

Jazzem

Definitely the better choice, though honestly I'd be fine with vastly more simplistic visuals if it meant 1080+60fps, not to mention native res on the handheld.

In any case, battle mode (the only thing I really care about in Bomberman) being 60 means this is an eventual purchase :)

-shadow-

So single player is 1080p~45fps? Well that's disappointing. I would've liked a solid 60fps, even if it meant 900p or so.

Ridley327

60 fps is a godsend in the multiplayer mode. Even with the resolution drop, I can't imagine going back to 30 fps with how much faster and smoother everything feels.

Skyzard

Banned
Damn that's sub-vita native resolution on that large screen? For bomberman?

Not good enough imo, especially with the price they're charging.

Nice they sped it up but it's bomberman. It should be full resolution and a rock solid 60 fps.

Seik

Banned
This is for the best as Bomberman games need a high framerate.

Shame for the resolution drop though, but this is a case where framerate is more important.

Raysoul

I don't know about you guys but the resolution on portable is fine on portable/tabletop mode with the update. Played this with a friend and it's a blast!

Konami did the better choice.

Framerate > Graphics

ksamedi

I think this is because of the low budget nature of the title. I mean a skilled team could run this 60 fps 1080p no problem.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Would you play Bomberman '94 today, or would the resolution shred your eyes?

Framerate and gameplay is key, they course-corrected and it is to be applauded.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Would you play Bomberman '94 today, or would the resolution shread your eyes?

Framerate and gameplay is key, they course-corrected and it is to be applauded.
I just played it this morning. Looks awesome on a PVM. Pixel art works great at low resolutions. 3D, though, looks best at higher resolutions.

Yeah bomberman doesn't need to be 1080p especially with those graphics. Super Bomberman R was never a pretty game, but the lower frame rate could be felt in gameplay. This was the best choice.

Kyzer

Banned
Co op story mode is now the main gane my best friend and i play together, between snipperclips fast rmx 1 2 switch and shovel knight. Big leap from collecting dust

KainXVIII

Nice patch!
PS - chuckled when DF praised 1080p/60fps menu screen, like its some kind of rarity 😀
PPS - Super Bomberman 5 for SNES is still a king!

snes_super_bomberman_5_1.gif

RM8

Framerate > resolution every single time, but it's just unbelievable that they can't get Bomberman at 60fps. I just can't believe the game is so demanding.

data

Damn that's sub-vita native resolution on that large screen? For bomberman?

Not good enough imo, especially with the price they're charging.

Nice they sped it up but it's bomberman. It should be full resolution and a rock solid 60 fps.

it's not sub-native vita resolution, it is the vita resolution except 4 less vertical lines.

Is this game really that demanding graphically that it can't hit 60?? Havnt played this but this is no zelda ...

Not trying to start war here just wondering what is making this game so demanding.

Mendrox

Why is this game so demanding? Is this a joke? I played it myself and nothing seems to be too much for the Switch.

Caayn

Game felt a lot better after the 1.3 patch. Happy that Konami pulled on the steeringwheel and changed course to prioritse the framerate.

Although I wish that they'd reduce the resolution in story mode as well, if that would've have a positive impact on the framerate. But as John mentioned that might not be possible due to other bottlenecks.

Framerate -> Resolution.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
I just played it this morning. Looks awesome on a PVM. Pixel art works great at low resolutions. 3D, though, looks best at higher resolutions.

We aren't going to get a 2D Bomberman again, it's lucky to even have one at all let alone one getting this much attention again.

The best we can get is a 3D Bomberman that plays like a 2D one, and that is what they are doing and seem to understand.

While it might not be perfect, and we have a way to go it is still nothing short of a miracle ;)

Jazzem

it's not sub-native vita resolution, it is the vita resolution except 4 less vertical lines.

At least sub-native games don't look as bad on a 720p screen as they did on the Vita's, still I really hope it's not a frequent occurrence on the system. I'll be gutted if the likes of Mario Oddysey suffer from it =/

Ridley327

Framerate > resolution every single time, but it's just unbelievable that they can't get Bomberman at 60fps. I just can't believe the game is so demanding.

The story mode throws in a lot more lighting and shadowing stuff that isn't present in the multiplayer. I honestly wish they could tone those down, as readability remains an issue in that mode.

Unity engine. They're probably still working on performance updates and things.

Seik

Banned
Game felt a lot better after the 1.3 patch. Happy that Capcom pulled on the steeringwheel and changed course to prioritse the framerate.

Although I wish that they'd reduce the resolution in story mode as well, if that would've have a positive impact on the framerate. But as John mentioned that might not be possible due to other bottlenecks.

Framerate -> Resolution.

It's Konami, mate. :)

Great patch, can't recall another game that was so drastically turned around. Also bodes pretty well for other Unity games.

kinggroin

Banned
Frame rate is king, I agree, but there's no way I'm going to support a game like bomberman that can't manage to run at native resolution. 540P is just not acceptable in my opinion.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
yay Unity....... :\

as DF and the thread is saying though.. 60fps is way more important than 1080p. Guess we'll take what we can get.

friggin' Unity..

edit - and friggin' Konami (but at least they realized you NEED 60fps for a game like this)

Top Bottom