• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

Mediking
Member
(03-20-2017, 05:29 AM)
Mediking's Avatar
I barely have any idea whats going on in P5. But I do know that I'm buying it.

That fanart thread I'm making wants to spoil me but I refuse.
Olengie
Member
(03-20-2017, 05:32 AM)
Olengie's Avatar
I got spoiled a little. But I wasnt surprised at what I found out. Lol
BRSxIgnition
Member
(03-20-2017, 06:27 AM)
BRSxIgnition's Avatar

Originally Posted by A Dead Diehard

You'll be fine. There's more than one twist.

Originally Posted by Sophia

Yeah, you'll be fine. You haven't been spoiled too badly.

Originally Posted by TurnipFritters

If it helps, at least one of those things was in a prerelease trailer.

Thank you all very much - super glad to hear I don't need to worry about it.

Especially when the alternative is...

Originally Posted by A Dead Diehard

Hmmm...

Well, I'd like to be clever and say "just the tip"...
But you got hit pretty bad.

GSR
Member
(03-20-2017, 07:37 AM)
GSR's Avatar

Originally Posted by hughesta

.

You probably shouldn't post that in the Community thread, even tagged... I feel like we may need to set up a list of users who folks can PM to ask "how badly spoiled was I", heh.
Last edited by GSR; 03-20-2017 at 07:40 AM.
traveler
Not Wario
(03-20-2017, 08:40 AM)
traveler's Avatar
So I really enjoyed Persona 4 despite feeling obligated to use a walkthrough for social links. I'd really like to play this one through without a guide, but still maximize my enjoyment of the social links and at least get the true ending. Is there any kind of general approach/strategy I can approach the game with to reasonably guarantee this without using a guide?

Edit: Re:below post- I also have no idea if there is/isn't a true ending- just basing this post off experience with previous titles. I'm actually pretty much unspoiled on P5, so if you saw my post and think you were spoiled to the existence of multiple endings, much less a true ending- don't worry. I really don't know anything.
Last edited by traveler; 03-20-2017 at 10:46 AM.
GSR
Member
(03-20-2017, 09:09 AM)
GSR's Avatar

Originally Posted by traveler

So I really enjoyed Persona 4 despite feeling obligated to use a walkthrough for social links. I'd really like to play this one through without a guide, but still maximize my enjoyment of the social links and at least get the true ending. Is there any kind of general approach/strategy I can approach the game with to reasonably guarantee this without using a guide?

You still need to do some decent optimization to max out all the social links, but it's not like P3 or P4 where a day-by-day guide was practically necessary. I wrote a general guide for optimizing SLs (no spoilers, but talks about general things you should be doing and which SLs to prioritize).

Re: endings: this isn't a spoiler but I get that people might want to avoid any talk of endings at all: don't worry about getting the true ending. It's extremely clear what the deciding point is and the game lets you save beforehand.
Last edited by GSR; 03-20-2017 at 09:13 AM.
Yu Narukami
Member
(03-20-2017, 11:26 AM)
Yu Narukami's Avatar
How long do you have to play before you can save for the first time? Just want to plan ahead. My gaming time is limited.
Last edited by Yu Narukami; 03-20-2017 at 12:08 PM.
Tunoku
Member
(03-20-2017, 12:38 PM)
Tunoku's Avatar
This game has a NG+ where your traits(knowledge, diligence, etc.) carry over, right? My plan is to go through the game twice anyway which should make the SLinks easier on the second playthrough.
R_thanatos
Member
(03-20-2017, 12:47 PM)
R_thanatos's Avatar

Originally Posted by Tunoku

This game has a NG+ where your traits(knowledge, diligence, etc.) carry over, right? My plan is to go through the game twice anyway which should make the SLinks easier on the second playthrough.

Yes .
NG+ let you keep your character stats but you restart at LV1.
With them it's MUCH easier to max every Slink
Tunoku
Member
(03-20-2017, 12:51 PM)
Tunoku's Avatar
Does the game have dialogue options that are only available with high enough stats, like asking Chie for her number outright at the beginning of Persona 4?

EDIT: Specified Persona 4, so that people don't get the wrong idea. I doubt that anyone thinks she's in 5, but wanted to be clear. People can be crazy about that stuff.
Last edited by Tunoku; 03-20-2017 at 12:55 PM.
SeriuzBiznus
Member
(03-20-2017, 01:25 PM)
SeriuzBiznus's Avatar

Originally Posted by Tunoku

This game has a NG+ where your traits(knowledge, diligence, etc.) carry over, right? My plan is to go through the game twice anyway which should make the SLinks easier on the second playthrough.

Same here. I'm going to try and go blind on my first run and then might use a guide to max everything out on NG+.
MSMrRound
Member
(03-20-2017, 01:28 PM)
MSMrRound's Avatar

Originally Posted by Tunoku

Does the game have dialogue options that are only available with high enough stats

It's not a lot, but yes, if I recall correctly. Nothing really significant though (to me anyway), a couple incidents happened during the daily life section of the game

^answer to the above question. Just my own impression
Last edited by MSMrRound; 03-20-2017 at 01:32 PM.
ThanksVision
Member
(03-20-2017, 04:34 PM)
ThanksVision's Avatar
is there pro support for this game, and if so, what is it?
artsi
Member
(03-20-2017, 04:40 PM)
artsi's Avatar

Originally Posted by ThanksVision

is there pro support for this game, and if so, what is it?

Nope.
GasProblem
Member
(03-20-2017, 04:54 PM)
GasProblem's Avatar
There's a max confidant walkthrough on GameFAQS, but it recommends to play it on Safety because otherwise there's a risk to be underleveled or without enough money. I wanted to play on normal. How doable is a max confidant playthrough on normal? I kind of want to go in blind, but I wont replay this big ass game soon and I want to see most of the confidants on my first playthrough.
Sophia
Member
(03-20-2017, 04:57 PM)
Sophia's Avatar
No guides, Hard/Challenge mode off the get-go. That's how I'm gonna roll >.<
Nimby
Member
(03-20-2017, 05:01 PM)
Nimby's Avatar
Two. Weeks.
Ludger Kresnik
Member
(03-20-2017, 05:02 PM)
Ludger Kresnik's Avatar
I'm definitely going in blind at first. Completionist runs can wait!
GSR
Member
(03-20-2017, 05:40 PM)
GSR's Avatar

Originally Posted by GasProblem

There's a max confidant walkthrough on GameFAQS, but it recommends to play it on Safety because otherwise there's a risk to be underleveled or without enough money. I wanted to play on normal. How doable is a max confidant playthrough on normal? I kind of want to go in blind, but I wont replay this big ass game soon and I want to see most of the confidants on my first playthrough.

Quoting myself above.

Originally Posted by GSR

You still need to do some decent optimization to max out all the social links, but it's not like P3 or P4 where a day-by-day guide was practically necessary. I wrote a general guide for optimizing SLs (no spoilers, but talks about general things you should be doing and which SLs to prioritize).

I played on normal until the penultimate dungeon, where I bumped it to hard. Maxed all the SLs with I think 2 weeks to spare?
Lunar15
Member
(03-20-2017, 05:48 PM)
Lunar15's Avatar
Playing Tokyo Mirage Sessions last year made me realize how addicting Atlus' core gameplay mechanics are even removed from Persona and SMT contexts. TMS is basically persona-lite yet it was still surprisingly more engrossing than it probably should have been just due to that tight, quick battle pace and fun "between dungeons" character focus. Different teams and all, but I feel like the company has this stuff down to a science.
GasProblem
Member
(03-20-2017, 06:06 PM)
GasProblem's Avatar

Originally Posted by GSR

Quoting myself above.



I played on normal until the penultimate dungeon, where I bumped it to hard. Maxed all the SLs with I think 2 weeks to spare?

Thanks! I'll try to get most confidants maxed but I'm not going to be OCD about it. Really looking forward to this, know absolutely nothing about the story.
ThanksVision
Member
(03-20-2017, 06:25 PM)
ThanksVision's Avatar

Originally Posted by artsi

Nope.

Damn... I thought all PS4 releases going forward would have pro support >.<

Hopefully boost mode offers something.
klabautermann
Member
(03-20-2017, 06:26 PM)
klabautermann's Avatar
Don't think it changes anything. The game is essentially a PS3 game ported to the PS4. It's not a large budget game nor is it taxing performance wise. Runs about as good as it could already on standard hardware.
Mediking
Member
(03-20-2017, 06:28 PM)
Mediking's Avatar

Originally Posted by Sophia

No guides, Hard/Challenge mode off the get-go. That's how I'm gonna roll >.<

Going Easy my 1st playthru. Lol
Shmuppers
Member
(03-20-2017, 06:43 PM)
Shmuppers's Avatar
Quick question, do you retain your Compendium in NG+?
CrimsonFist
Member
(03-20-2017, 07:11 PM)
CrimsonFist's Avatar

Originally Posted by Shmuppers

Quick question, do you retain your Compendium in NG+?

I don't think there's any Atlus game where you don't.
Dangansona
Member
(03-20-2017, 07:58 PM)
Dangansona's Avatar
Can't wait for reviews to come out! Do we have a date yet?
Dead End Irony
Member
(03-20-2017, 08:03 PM)

Originally Posted by Dangansona

Can't wait for reviews to come out! Do we have a date yet?

March 29. 9 AM PST. I think. Hopefully there's more 10/10 reviews coming!
Lunar15
Member
(03-20-2017, 08:05 PM)
Lunar15's Avatar
Not really sure if I want to read reviews at all. I know I'm getting the game and I really don't need much more hype at this point. All they could do are set weird expectations that I'd rather not have.

That said, it's always so tempting to read them. I already read the OPM UK review.
Makio
Member
(03-20-2017, 08:12 PM)
Makio's Avatar
I read them because i want opinions of people who really are not fans of the series or just not hype asf like your regular persona fan.

Not like a bad review is gonna make me stop play this game , but like to see all points of view.
artsi
Member
(03-20-2017, 08:33 PM)
artsi's Avatar

Originally Posted by ThanksVision

Damn... I thought all PS4 releases going forward would have pro support >.<

Hopefully boost mode offers something.

Not that either, sorry.

I mean, the game runs perfectly on base PS4, there's nothing boost mode would need to fix really.
Loading times might be slightly faster using boost mode, but I also might be imagining things.

At least the console is whisper quiet as there's not that much load, so you can enjoy sweet Meguro music without distractions :p
Makio
Member
(03-20-2017, 08:49 PM)
Makio's Avatar
Because again , Persona 5 in PS4 is a ps3 game which runs in 1080p , i dont know why there people out there who try to make it look like the ps3 version is like p4 in ps2 vs the ps4 version is an updated port like P4 golden haha.

Maybe in a couple years , people who gives a fuck about the pro and other things can get their wish granted with Persona 5 Goro Edition , or Crimson , Masquerade or whatever they gonna called it.
Martylepiaf
Member
(03-20-2017, 09:12 PM)
Martylepiaf's Avatar

Originally Posted by Makio

Because again , Persona 5 in PS4 is a ps3 game which runs in 1080p , i dont know why there people out there who try to make it look like the ps3 version is like p4 in ps2 vs the ps4 version is an updated port like P4 golden haha.

Maybe in a couple years , people who gives a fuck about the pro and other things can get their wish granted with Persona 5 Goro Edition , or Crimson , Masquerade or whatever they gonna called it.

P5 could have been a 60fps game on normal PS4, or had better texture in some places, Atlus just doesn't care
Sophia
Member
(03-20-2017, 09:22 PM)
Sophia's Avatar

Originally Posted by Martylepiaf

P5 could have been a 60fps game on normal PS4, or had better texture in some places, Atlus just doesn't care

This is disingenuous. No developer simply goes "ehh ps4 idgaf \_(ツ)_/"

There could be many reasons as to why they opted not to make the PS4 version 60 frames per second. Maybe they were having issues with it running at 60 FPS. Maybe they wanted to keep their code close enough for each version to make life easier. Maybe they ran into other technical issues. Maybe time constraints. Who knows? But they almost certainly didn't just flat out didn't care. :\
Last edited by Sophia; 03-20-2017 at 09:25 PM.
Martylepiaf
Member
(03-20-2017, 09:26 PM)
Martylepiaf's Avatar

Originally Posted by Sophia

This is disingenuous. No developer simply goes "ehh ps4 idgaf \_(ツ)_/"

There could be many reasons as to why they opted not to make the PS4 version 60 frames per second. Maybe they were having issues with it running at 60 FPS. Maybe they wanted to keep their code close enough for each version to make life easier. Maybe they ran into technical issues. Who knows? But they almost certainly didn't just flat out didn't care. :\

I didn't say it would have been easy, it would have cost money and took time, it just wasn't a priority and I don't think it's a bad thing. I just wanted to say that the PS4 have the power to more and they didn't use it.
Sophia
Member
(03-20-2017, 09:27 PM)
Sophia's Avatar

Originally Posted by Martylepiaf

I didn't say it would have been easy, it would have cost money and took time, it just wasn't a priority and I don't think it's a bad thing. I just wanted to say that the PS4 have the power to more and they didn't use it.

Money and time they might not have potentially been able to afford after a few delays. The point is, they had their reason for targeting 1080p/30 fps on PS4, and it probably wasn't because they "didn't care"
Martylepiaf
Member
(03-20-2017, 09:29 PM)
Martylepiaf's Avatar

Originally Posted by Sophia

Money and time they might not have potentially been able to afford after a few delays. The point is, they had their reason for targeting 1080p/30 fps on PS4, and it probably wasn't because they "didn't care"

yeah I should have said it wasn't a priority, wrong choice of words
Lunar15
Member
(03-20-2017, 09:39 PM)
Lunar15's Avatar
While I don't want to excuse development oversight, people tend to forget that during P5 development the entire company of Atlus was almost completely dissolved as its parent was involved in a gigantic scandal. There's a reason it took them over 5 years to release a PS3 game. Hashino even briefly touches on this in his Toco Toco interview.

It's also been said that they even started conceptualizing P5 as a Vita game but bailed on that when the Vita underperformed, thus pushing to the PS3 when it was already late in its life cycle.

P5 went through the weirdest series of events during development... and that doesn't even explain the later delays.
Last edited by Lunar15; 03-20-2017 at 09:42 PM.
barybll
Member
(03-20-2017, 10:22 PM)
barybll's Avatar

Originally Posted by Lunar15

While I don't want to excuse development oversight, people tend to forget that during P5 development the entire company of Atlus was almost completely dissolved as its parent was involved in a gigantic scandal. There's a reason it took them over 5 years to release a PS3 game. Hashino even briefly touches on this in his Toco Toco interview.

It's also been said that they even started conceptualizing P5 as a Vita game but bailed on that when the Vita underperformed, thus pushing to the PS3 when it was already late in its life cycle.

P5 went through the weirdest series of events during development... and that doesn't even explain the later delays.

Persona 4 was also made during a time atlus was struggling

It seems that atlus will finally get some breather now with the fantasy project, smt and p5 spinoffs and the extra sega support
CrimsonFist
Member
(03-20-2017, 11:10 PM)
CrimsonFist's Avatar


From the Persona 5 Countdown: http://p5countdown.tumblr.com/
BrightLightLava
Member
(03-21-2017, 12:54 AM)
BrightLightLava's Avatar
Got Persona 4 Dancing All Night to help bridge the gap.

Matt Mercer is a lot better at sounding like Troy Baker than Ashly Birch is at sounding like Laura Bailey.

Game's fun though. I haven't really played a rhythm game outside of Rock Band/Guitar Hero and DDR.
klabautermann
Member
(03-21-2017, 12:59 AM)
klabautermann's Avatar
Yeah that Rise voice is... weird. It's not the best rhythm game I've played, actually not even close as a big rhythm game fan myself. But I love Persona enough to be blinded by it's shortcomings. Really fun and enjoyable game and actually my favorite Persona spin-off hands down. It's an easy platinum as well, so I also played it enough to 100% it and bought all the DLC like a dumb idiot. Hope you enjoy it!
BrightLightLava
Member
(03-21-2017, 01:13 AM)
BrightLightLava's Avatar

Originally Posted by klabautermann

Yeah that Rise voice is... weird. It's not the best rhythm game I've played, actually not even close as a big rhythm game fan myself. But I love Persona enough to be blinded by it's shortcomings. Really fun and enjoyable game and actually my favorite Persona spin-off hands down. It's an easy platinum as well, so I also played it enough to 100% it and bought all the DLC like a dumb idiot. Hope you enjoy it!

It's sort of close, but I never stopped hearing the difference. But Matt's Kanji was basically dead on.

I finished story mode yesterday, and I'm hoping to wrap up the platinum tonight.

Then I have to convince myself not to start Persona 3, which I've already bought, because I don't want to either rush thru it or get burnt out before 5 comes.
klabautermann
Member
(03-21-2017, 01:21 AM)
klabautermann's Avatar
Oh yeah, I honestly never noticed Matt Mercer and Troy Baker shared the role until I looked it up. Man, P3 was my introduction into the series and it is really phenomenal, but yeah 2 weeks might stretch you a little thin. As long as you get around to it at some point it's all good.
plasmawave
Member
(03-21-2017, 01:55 AM)
plasmawave's Avatar
Where's my Futaba theme?
Tunoku
Member
(03-21-2017, 03:44 AM)
Tunoku's Avatar
Pretty sure it took me around two weeks to finish Persona 3, putting 100+ hours into it. I was playing nonstop and definitely needed a break after that. So I definitely don't recommend doing that prior to Persona 5.
Lynx_7
Member
(03-21-2017, 04:02 AM)
Lynx_7's Avatar
Oh shit, is it really just 15 days?

I'm not even done with Breath of the Wild yet. I haven't even started Nier: Automata. I still gotta write my college thesis. FUCK

New PR guy if you're reading this please delay the game again alright thanks
Mediking
Member
(03-21-2017, 04:38 AM)
Mediking's Avatar

Originally Posted by CrimsonFist

From the Persona 5 Countdown: http://p5countdown.tumblr.com/

Is that link a safe place to get fanart from?

Originally Posted by Lynx_7

Oh shit, is it really just 15 days?

I'm not even done with Breath of the Wild yet. I haven't even started Nier: Automata. I still gotta write my college thesis. FUCK

New PR guy if you're reading this please delay the game again alright thanks


Lmao I know right??? I'm in the exact same boat as you!
vaporeon
Member
(03-21-2017, 05:19 AM)
vaporeon's Avatar

Originally Posted by Mediking

Is that link a safe place to get fanart from?

Yeah it's safe, my friend runs it and made it a point that all pieces should be spoiler-free.
GSR
Member
(03-21-2017, 08:37 AM)
GSR's Avatar
I'm not gonna lie, having played the game back in September I'm very eager for everyone else to get to play it too. Watching the reactions is gonna be a treat.

Thread Tools