• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

Curufinwe
Member
(03-21-2017, 12:58 AM)
Curufinwe's Avatar

Originally Posted by pizzacat

same world where persona 5 will sell more than the new mass effect

Maybe if you just look at PS4 worldwide sales. Even then I doubt it.
Meguro
Member
(03-21-2017, 12:59 AM)
Meguro's Avatar
I also don't have friends who talk to Glenn Beck and who get upset at "liberal snowflakes" and who make garbage jokes about women on INTERNATIONAL WOMENS DAY etc. etc.
I'm concerned that you think that's something you should just tolerate as a friend if I'm honest.
J_Viper
Member
(03-21-2017, 12:59 AM)
J_Viper's Avatar

Originally Posted by Megasoum

I have yet to see anyone in here hating on Danny...

Hate is me exaggerating, but pulling Patreon support only because he supported a friend is ridiculously petty.

Originally Posted by Meguro

I also don't have friends who talk to Glenn Beck and who get upset at "liberal snowflakes" and who make garbage jokes about women on INTERNATIONAL WOMENS DAY etc. etc.
I'm concerned that you think that's something you should just tolerate as a friend if I'm honest.

To each his own. I personally wouldn't let one dumb joke define someone, especially if it was a friend I've known for a while.
Antiwhippy
the holder of the trombone
(03-21-2017, 01:00 AM)
Antiwhippy's Avatar
Honestly though, people are also free to not support danny supporting his friend.
Nerokis
Member
(03-21-2017, 01:00 AM)

Originally Posted by Zaph

Yeah, Danny seems like a decent bloke and has done some good work, but this isn't the first time he's flirted with some bullshit.

Nobody is obliged to support him (and especially not the type of people who are on the receiving end of his friend's bullshit opinions) and nobody is taking anything of his away - it's just choosing not to give him something.

And obviously that's your choice to make.

But it seems to be a pretty popular choice in this thread, and considering you guys are exactly the kind of people I'd think/hope would support him, something doesn't seem quite right about that.
Megasoum
Member
(03-21-2017, 01:00 AM)
Megasoum's Avatar

Originally Posted by J_Viper

Hate is me exaggerating, but pulling Patreon support only because he supported a friend is ridiculously petty.



To each his own. I personally wouldn't let one dumb joke define someone, especially if it was a friend I've known for a while.

He's free to support whoever he wants just as much as I'm free to support whoever I want...
Data West
coaches in the WNBA
(03-21-2017, 01:01 AM)
Data West's Avatar
Danny's not my friend though
Hindl
Member
(03-21-2017, 01:02 AM)
Hindl's Avatar
I hated eggs until 2 years ago and now I love them
Antiwhippy
the holder of the trombone
(03-21-2017, 01:03 AM)
Antiwhippy's Avatar
I mean here's the thing, considering the kind of people who withdrew from kinda funny's own patreon and is most likely supporting colin's patreon, it's not like colin is standing on a morally grey area on the kind of people who supports him.
Curufinwe
Member
(03-21-2017, 01:04 AM)
Curufinwe's Avatar

Originally Posted by J_Viper

Hate is me exaggerating, but pulling Patreon support only because he supported a friend is ridiculously petty.



To each his own. I personally wouldn't let one dumb joke define someone, especially if it was a friend I've known for a while.

You must be trolling if you're pretending this is about one joke.
Meguro
Member
(03-21-2017, 01:05 AM)
Meguro's Avatar
Colin has done PLENTY to define himself outside of that one "joke".

Edit:
What actually really makes me mad is that he's continuing to support him despite clearly following people who have laid it out in stark terms why maybe one shouldn't.
People he himself hired for projects before!
Danny can do better. Way better.
MassiveNights
Member
(03-21-2017, 01:05 AM)
MassiveNights's Avatar

Originally Posted by Zaph



Yeah, was probably going to do it soon anyway, but time to call it a day on Danny's Patreon.

Meanwhile he's out there re-tweeting a trans dev who's spent the last hour admonishing the industry's show of support for Colin. Really made a home for himself on that fence.

This made me sad.
Blitzrules240
Member
(03-21-2017, 01:08 AM)
Blitzrules240's Avatar
Dan bringing up Three Men and a Baby in BiTE out of nowhere was so random. Like where the hell did that come from lol.
2 Slice Toaster
Member
(03-21-2017, 01:09 AM)
2 Slice Toaster's Avatar
Remember when people were hoping Danny would join the crew, even knowing it was wishful thinking? Bullet dodged I guess.
Salarians
Member
(03-21-2017, 01:09 AM)
Salarians's Avatar
egg sandwiches are one of the best foods in existence tbh

Originally Posted by EdReedFan20

What I can't believe (or maybe I can!) is that Guerilla, who never made anything other than an FPS (apart from the isometric PSP Killzone), was able in their first try, to make an open-world RPG that runs circles (performance wise) around Bethesda open-world RPGs. Could you imagine TES or Fallout looking and running like Horizon!?

It's such a well crafted game in every respect, even down to the snappiness of the menu or the speed upon reloading after a death. Just... bravo Guerrilla.
J_Viper
Member
(03-21-2017, 01:10 AM)
J_Viper's Avatar
You're absolutely right to pull support for whatever reason, but I just think this reason in particular is silly.

I don't know, perhaps I just have a higher tolerance for opposing views, but I've never seen anything Colin has stated that was worth him being demonized by this board and cheering for him losing his job. He's not Milo.

But whatever I don't wanna start this fight up again. I'm sure I'm wrong, and I apologize in advance.
ShadowSwordmaster
Member
(03-21-2017, 01:11 AM)
ShadowSwordmaster's Avatar

Originally Posted by Blitzrules240

My TITR shirt came through the mail today. I got a bonus shirt and a sticker too. The bonus shirt though...

Nice.
MassiveNights
Member
(03-21-2017, 01:11 AM)
MassiveNights's Avatar

Originally Posted by J_Viper

You're absolutely right to pull support for whatever reason, but I just think this reason in particular is silly.

I don't know, perhaps I just have a higher tolerance for opposing views, but I've never seen anything Colin has stated that was worth him being demonized by this board and cheering for him losing his job. He's not Milo.

But whatever I don't wanna start this fight up again. I'm sure I'm wrong, and I apologize in advance.

He didn't lose his job. He left like a baby to start a dipshit conservative youtube channel chasing that Jontron money.
J_Viper
Member
(03-21-2017, 01:14 AM)
J_Viper's Avatar

Originally Posted by MassiveNights

He didn't lose his job. He left like a baby to start a dipshit conservative youtube channel chasing that Jontron money.

I was under the impression that he was "asked to resign". Guess that was incorrect?
jambo
Member
(03-21-2017, 01:14 AM)
jambo's Avatar

Originally Posted by J_Viper

You're absolutely right to pull support for whatever reason, but I just think this reason in particular is silly.

I don't know, perhaps I just have a higher tolerance for opposing views, but I've never seen anything Colin has stated that was worth him being demonized by this board and cheering for him losing his job. He's not Milo.

But whatever I don't wanna start this fight up again. I'm sure I'm wrong, and I apologize in advance.

Not racist, just popular with racists.
Zaph
Member
(03-21-2017, 01:15 AM)
Zaph's Avatar

Originally Posted by J_Viper

You're absolutely right to pull support for whatever reason, but I just think this reason in particular is silly.

I don't know, perhaps I just have a higher tolerance for opposing views, but I've never seen anything Colin has stated that was worth him being demonized by this board and cheering for him losing his job. He's not Milo.

But whatever I don't wanna start this fight up again. I'm sure I'm wrong, and I apologize in advance.

Lol yeah, that's the problem here, we just can't tolerate opposing views.

Always some mug ready to downplay racist and sexist bullshit.
BreezyLimbo
Member
(03-21-2017, 01:16 AM)
BreezyLimbo's Avatar

Originally Posted by J_Viper

I was under the impression that he was "asked to resign". Guess that was incorrect?

We don't know. He was probably forced out of it because he's a shitty person, so they let him resign and keep his dignity.
Bacon
Member
(03-21-2017, 01:16 AM)
Bacon's Avatar

Originally Posted by Zaph

Lol yeah, that's the problem here, we just can't tolerate opposing views.

Always some mug ready to downplay racist and sexist bullshit.

So much for the tolerant left
EdReedFan20
Member
(03-21-2017, 01:18 AM)
EdReedFan20's Avatar
I know Greg Miller and Kinda Funny is not all that popular here (well, maybe more so, now that Colin left), but if Nintendo ever came up with a canonical voice for the fire flowers, I want this to be it: https://twitter.com/GameOverGreggy/s...21414847516672
jambo
Member
(03-21-2017, 01:20 AM)
jambo's Avatar

Originally Posted by EdReedFan20

I know Greg Miller and Kinda Funny is not all that popular here (well, maybe more so, now that Colin left), but if Nintendo ever came up with a canonical voice for the fire flowers, I want this to be it: https://twitter.com/GameOverGreggy/s...21414847516672

Why do people give them money again?
robotrock
Member
(03-21-2017, 01:22 AM)
robotrock's Avatar
I want to thank Giant Bomb for finally pushing me to watch these Fast and the Furious movies. They are my favorite movies now.
Bacon
Member
(03-21-2017, 01:22 AM)
Bacon's Avatar

Originally Posted by EdReedFan20

I know Greg Miller and Kinda Funny is not all that popular here (well, maybe more so, now that Colin left), but if Nintendo ever came up with a canonical voice for the fire flowers, I want this to be it: https://twitter.com/GameOverGreggy/s...21414847516672

Classic bit right there wow couldn't stop laughing the entire time almost laffed my pants off
Maiden Voyage
Member
(03-21-2017, 01:27 AM)
Maiden Voyage's Avatar

Originally Posted by Nerokis

I honestly don't understand this. I'm guessing most of you have kept up with Danny for a pretty long time. You know he does good work, and you know there's a good chance he's not a bad person by any stretch of the imagination. But because he's released some indecisive tweets, and dares to support the Patreon of a long-term industry persona who's worst crimes are having stupid political opinions and trolling on Twitter, you're demonizing him and trying to punish him financially.

I understand latching onto certain heuristics when you don't know someone particularly well, or aren't invested in them in any way. "Supporting Colin's Patreon? Eh, gonna avoid this person." But in Danny's case, you have a larger context for who he is and what he does, and presumably a connection with him as a consumer of his content that goes back years. What is there to be gained by not supporting him?

Because were I him, and I saw that this was as little as it took to spark a backlash among my progressive fans, I wouldn't be thinking I'd need to reform on a personal level. I'd be struggling with the fact that there's such a strong financial incentive to suppress even my more innocuous slightly contrarian opinions, and in my more bitter moods, I might be looking for support elsewhere.

In other words, Danny's always seemed like a cool guy, but he's also human, and I wouldn't blame him if this kind of unwarranted backlash distorted his opinion of the side (I'm assuming - I could have a massive blindspot here, but I don't think so) he's inclined to support. And seeing as I'm on that side, that seems counterproductive to me.

In addition to all this, I would bet most the GB crew would see all the "at least GB has good people!" sentiment being expressed in this thread, and feel it's unearned. Because they're probably big Danny fans, and don't think they're particularly better people just because they've done a better job maneuvering through heated political waters.

People don't want their money potentially going to someone who spreads a hateful message. Not sure why this is a difficult concept for you.
BreezyLimbo
Member
(03-21-2017, 01:31 AM)
BreezyLimbo's Avatar

Originally Posted by Twin Tails

https://twitter.com/alex_navarro/sta...80673513914369

$5 says they're the new hire for west
MassiveNights
Member
(03-21-2017, 01:32 AM)
MassiveNights's Avatar

Originally Posted by Nerokis

I honestly don't understand this. I'm guessing most of you have kept up with Danny for a pretty long time. You know he does good work, and you know there's a good chance he's not a bad person by any stretch of the imagination. But because he's released some indecisive tweets, and dares to support the Patreon of a long-term industry persona who's worst crimes are having stupid political opinions and trolling on Twitter, you're demonizing him and trying to punish him financially.

I understand latching onto certain heuristics when you don't know someone particularly well, or aren't invested in them in any way. "Supporting Colin's Patreon? Eh, gonna avoid this person." But in Danny's case, you have a larger context for who he is and what he does, and presumably a connection with him as a consumer of his content that goes back years. What is there to be gained by not supporting him?

Because were I him, and I saw that this was as little as it took to spark a backlash among my progressive fans, I wouldn't be thinking I'd need to reform on a personal level. I'd be struggling with the fact that there's such a strong financial incentive to suppress even my more innocuous slightly contrarian opinions, and in my more bitter moods, I might be looking for support elsewhere.

In other words, Danny's always seemed like a cool guy, but he's also human, and I wouldn't blame him if this kind of unwarranted backlash distorted his opinion of the side (I'm assuming - I could have a massive blindspot here, but I don't think so) he's inclined to support. And seeing as I'm on that side, that seems counterproductive to me.

In addition to all this, I would bet most the GB crew would see all the "at least GB has good people!" sentiment being expressed in this thread, and feel it's unearned. Because they're probably big Danny fans, and don't think they're particularly better people just because they've done a better job maneuvering through heated political waters.

Danny is a random dude on the internet I give a few bucks to, he's not my Dad.
Blitzrules240
Member
(03-21-2017, 01:35 AM)
Blitzrules240's Avatar

Originally Posted by robotrock

I want to thank Giant Bomb for finally pushing me to watch these Fast and the Furious movies. They are my favorite movies now.

20% Angel, 80% Devil.
Piston Hyundai
Member
(03-21-2017, 01:36 AM)
Piston Hyundai's Avatar

Originally Posted by BreezyLimbo

$5 says they're the new hire for west

I don't think he's a video producer
BreezyLimbo
Member
(03-21-2017, 01:40 AM)
BreezyLimbo's Avatar

Originally Posted by Piston Hyundai

I don't think he's a video producer

its a joke piston

take the bet
Aselith
Member
(03-21-2017, 01:43 AM)
Aselith's Avatar

Originally Posted by BreezyLimbo

$5 says they're the new hire for west

The person is already on Patreon though. That's not how this works.
EdReedFan20
Member
(03-21-2017, 01:43 AM)
EdReedFan20's Avatar

Originally Posted by Piston Hyundai

I don't think he's a video producer

But isn't GB West getting two hires? I think they were already said to be getting an editorial person, but when Drew left, that opened up that video producer spot. So overall, I think they are looking for three people: two video producers (one for East, one for West) and one editorial person (for West). I don't know if they said which spot will be filled first.
BreezyLimbo
Member
(03-21-2017, 01:43 AM)
BreezyLimbo's Avatar

Originally Posted by Aselith

The person is already on Patreon though. That's not how this works.

just take the bet

~~~

Is there a tracking number for the tshirt?

edit: a shipping label created~!
danm999
Member
(03-21-2017, 01:46 AM)
danm999's Avatar
I don't think Danny is a bad or hateful person but I do question the judgement of someone who gives money to Colin Moriarty for his opinions on politics and history.
TraBuch
Member
(03-21-2017, 01:50 AM)
TraBuch's Avatar
So when's Jeff gonna pitch a TV show to Seeso?
SuperStiltzkin
Member
(03-21-2017, 01:52 AM)
SuperStiltzkin's Avatar

Originally Posted by Blitzrules240

20% Angel, 80% Devil.

Mupod
Member
(03-21-2017, 01:57 AM)
Mupod's Avatar
Oh my god Beast in the East could not have ended better.

Also either Vinny has secretly played this game before or is goddamn clairvoyant. First the Michael Jackson comment now he basically describes Nishitani perfectly.
valeo
Member
(03-21-2017, 01:59 AM)

Originally Posted by Catvoca

This post collected a bunch of his tweets

I don't like Colin, and I disagree with most of the opinions in those tweets, but I genuinely don't see anything truly offensive in there.
Aaron
Member
(03-21-2017, 01:59 AM)
Aaron's Avatar

Originally Posted by danm999

I don't think Danny is a bad or hateful person but I do question the judgement of someone who gives money to Colin Moriarty for his opinions on politics and history.

He's also using the money of his own patrons to do it, since they are the sole source of his current income, as far as I can tell. By visibly supporting Colin, he's asking his patrons to at least tolerate the same sort of shit views and history revisioning that won Trump the presidency.
pizzacat
Member
(03-21-2017, 02:14 AM)
pizzacat's Avatar

Originally Posted by valeo

I don't like Colin, and I disagree with most of the opinions in those tweets, but I genuinely don't see anything truly offensive in there.

he is against us
stump sock
Zowie! It's Yaoi
(03-21-2017, 02:14 AM)
stump sock's Avatar

Originally Posted by Aaron

He's also using the money of his own patrons to do it, since they are the sole source of his current income, as far as I can tell. By visibly supporting Colin, he's asking his patrons to at least tolerate the same sort of shit views and history revisioning that won Trump the presidency.

Eleuin
Member
(03-21-2017, 02:15 AM)
Eleuin's Avatar

Originally Posted by EdReedFan20

What I can't believe (or maybe I can!) is that Guerilla, who never made anything other than an FPS (apart from the isometric PSP Killzone), was able in their first try, to make an open-world RPG that runs circles (performance wise) around Bethesda open-world RPGs. Could you imagine TES or Fallout looking and running like Horizon!?

they've always been technical savants

people always bring up the killzone 2 downgrade but what they accomplished on a PS3 is crazy
J_Viper
Member
(03-21-2017, 02:25 AM)
J_Viper's Avatar
I'm kinda sad that Mass Effect had to be the one to combo-break this insane pattern of high quality releases
BreezyLimbo
Member
(03-21-2017, 02:27 AM)
BreezyLimbo's Avatar

Originally Posted by J_Viper

I'm kinda sad that Mass Effect had to be the one to combo-break this insane pattern of high quality releases

These past 72 hours went from me wanting to get the game to laugh at the jank to instantly not wanting to even touch it because it's even worse than I thought

It's been a real 'through the looking glass' moment for me.
J_Viper
Member
(03-21-2017, 02:28 AM)
J_Viper's Avatar

Originally Posted by BreezyLimbo

These past 72 hours went from me wanting to get the game to laugh at the jank to instantly not wanting to even touch it because it's even worse than I thought

It's been a real 'through the looking glass' moment for me.

Yeah, the hilarious glitches and animations had me even more curious, but once Jeff said "Direct-to-DVD Mass Effect", it was over.
BreezyLimbo
Member
(03-21-2017, 02:30 AM)
BreezyLimbo's Avatar

Originally Posted by J_Viper

Yeah, the hilarious glitches and animations had me even more curious, but once Jeff said "Direct-to-DVD Mass Effect", it was over.

for me it was the completely useless dialogue, the pop in, and just the boring 'Go to citadel, fight waves, SUDOKU' moments. That seemed to be the major loop of the game. Oh, and Brad saying that loot was mostly crafted and not found(Except for that one drop.)

Thread Tools